Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm pretty new to this game. With some help from a friend, I've got my first character to 60, an Arc/Storm-Call witch. I'm feeling very glass cannon: I can kill basically anything before it gets to me, but if it does get to me I can only take a few hits. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can build to have a little more survivability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Should I be looking to max my chaos resist as well as my elemental resist?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

When maxing resists, do you shoot for just max res or max res + ~20-30 in case of curses?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmmm. Okay, so I need to up my resists some more. Do you have other suggestions for how I can keep itemizing my witch? I have a budget of a couple dozen chaos. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

I have (just barely) max resists and ~20% chaos resist. 4k hp. Damage is pretty good, what I really need is some physical damage mitigation.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

I would recommend you work on getting 4 links and such and better gear as a whole before maxing your resists for high tier maps. Having capped resists on EW maps is something you shoot for when other parts of your gear are good. I have hit 90+ multiple times not giving a poo poo about capping my resists for EW.

Thanks, that's good advice. I just don't even know what better gear looks like, since this is my first character and I've never gotten this far (!)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Which is better this or Diablo III? Why? I'm also asking in the D3 thread.

The only benefit that D3 has over PoE is better animation and feel. And an inability to gently caress up your character, I guess. PoE is fun if you liked making weird poo poo, like Hammerdins and melee Flame Enchant sorceresses.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Incidentally, can someone recommend a fun melee build? I've got my storm call witch running around but I'd love to play a smashy melee build with fast movement. Something around shield charge maybe? I've got a budget of like. 50c maybe.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Bugsy posted:

You could link up an immortal call with your CWDT to give you some help with that for big hits. Even without endurance charge you still get some invulnerable to physical damage.

Do you self curse? Herald of Thunder + Curse on hit + Conductivity can make it a lot smoother with out having to stop then curse things.

You could use some much better jewels, and more jewel slots.

Aug your flasks that only have 1 mod.

I guess you need the strength on the sapphire ring? Other than that and life roll it doesn't have that many stats that are that good for you.

Do that lab already. Not to sound like a dick but do it.

Edit - I'm loving blind and did not notice the clarity you already have. Do you still need to run a mana flask? A granite/basalt will help with taking physical damage.

Try out reduced duration instead of faster casting, Its another more multiplier, and makes the calls go off faster.

Thanks for these suggestions. I've taken care of a few of them: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

Currently what I'm wondering is if there's another gem link I could be running.Of course I'm running Storm Call+damage/radius amps, then the curse on Hit/conductivity/herald link you suggested, and a CwDT/Immortal Call defenseive link. But that still leaves me with at least 2 more links I could be running? What could I put in there?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Thinking about doing a Sunder build. Should I go Juggernaut, Slayer, or Champion? Wild card option: Raider

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Here's a champion tree I pulled together just to see what a 1hand/shield tree would look like. Basically I took a shitload of armor, life, and block. I want to make a Sunder build, but are there other skills or synergies I should be thinking about?

e: 2nd draft, dropped ranger nodes for scion life nodes

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 6, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

e: nm

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I found two Exalts running merciless Ledge today. Thanks RNG gods. I guess that means I am obligated to gear the poo poo outta the character...

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

I got my poison earthquake gladiator up and running. How's it look? Any improvements or efficiencies I could make? I;m particularly unsure if I want to head up to Amplify in the templar section or head down to Rampart and Hematophagy.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

any ideas on what this might be worth? hot garbage or a whole bucket of ducats?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

eh heh heh I tried to run Core with my poisonquaker. Final tally: 1 death to doedre, 2 deaths to Maligaro, 1 death to strongbox, 3 deaths to shavronne. Kills: Doedre

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I'm tryna level Mathil's CI Occultist Phys/Chaos/Light Wander build but I'm getting a little stuck around level 40. I'm not sure how to itemize and level for this, since the KB synergies don't kick in until I can get Crown of Eyes at level 70, but just facebreaker+shieldcharge is real scary since I don't have any real damage mitigation either.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does anyone have a brief list of really high-trading-value mods to look for when trying to determine what to sell? What I mean is, are there any particular mods that you see and think, "whoa, that mod is valuable, I really need to take a closer look at this item and see if the other mods stack up." I'm learning that I don't know a goddamn thing about trading values outside of looking up prices for uniques.

My rule of thumb (I'm only a month into this game) is that high life+dual/tri res is a good baseline for any armor items, especially with high base rolls (armor, evasion, energy shield). On top of that you'll want to look for item-specific rolls: +movespeed on boots, +damage or something on gloves.

The items that really sell for a shitload of cash money are high rolls for attributes for specific builds. For example, poisonquake builds are real popular right now, and they get a lot of mileage out of "+x physical damage to attacks" rolls.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I'm running into a bit of wall with low-life SWT Hierophant, where I'm level 72 and supposed to switch over to low-life, but I feel like I don't have quite enough ES to really commit (and anyways I don't have Shav's). So I'm technically "able" to run some low-level maps, but it's kinda slow going and I almost die pretty often. Are there better ways to make this work? Is there a cheap item I can buy to get a whole chunk of ES at once? Should I just bite the bullet and commit whole hog?

Alternately, should I just re-roll Blade Vortex already?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

FYI, interesting builds from the top of the HC ladder:

1. Steelmage: CI Elemental Kinetic Blast Miner Saboteur. Best part is if you look up Kinetic Blast Mines on Google the first result is a build that says "NOT VIABLE IN 2.4 BUILD IS NOW TOTAL GARBAGE NO MORE SINGLE TARGET WITHOUT FROST WALL." Steel uses Fire Nova Mines in a 4L for extra single target damage.
2. RaizQT: CI Bow Summon Raging Spirits Necromancer. Yes, it's using a 6L bow with Essenced +2 fire gems and a Soul Strike. Also using a Minion Movespeed ring.
3 died, was a pure support Champion with all the Fortify stuff for survivability, tricurse Curse on Hit Ice Shot with Ele Equilibrium, and lots of curse + aura buffs. Typical Aura Bot.
4. Daleroy: standard Icestorm Elementalist.
5. AngryWeasel: CI Poison BV Occultist. Abuses Soul Strike's fast ES regen start with Occultist's continuous regen after taking damage. Bow uses the 1000 chaos DoT Essence craft with a bunch of other garbage affixes. Presumably an ideal weapon would be +1 all gems, but bow is only used as a vector for Soul Strike's crazy synergy with Occultist. You could use a 1000 DoT wand or dagger with a shield if you really wanted to.

It looks like essence crafting has kind of made Bows the best caster weapons. Also made everyone go CI/LL, both with the ability to use Soul Strike as a caster and the ability to craft ES gear easier.
dang that BV build looks fun. Any idea on how well it'd do with little/no currency?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been chugging along fine with this on HC. What is your ES at now? Profile link?
Mine is RooNoPants at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/roo

I switched once I could wear Prism Guardian and Steppan Erd boots - 68? I had ~220 ES helm and 170 ES gloves and ended up around 5k ES and farmed Dried lake almost exclusively.

After crafting my helm with a T5 Essence of Woe and getting a few more ES nodes, I hit 6.3k ES which made me feel comfortable in low tier maps; I've tried up to T5 maps at this point. I'm back down to almost exactly 6k ES as I took a bit of a hit with my newly crafted gloves (I'm using Essence of Horror to effectively replace increased critical strikes gem)

E: 6k ES is absolutely not enough for serious mapping and I'm actively planning my next build for when I inevitably die. :)

heh heh heh. My character is Skalthjor at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters. I have an effective hp pool of, uhhh, about 3.5k, between life and ES. So I'm looking forward to getting extremely dunked.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

dang that BV build looks fun. Any idea on how well it'd do with little/no currency?

Just kidding I don't see the BV build on there at all after clickthrough?? Am I missing something?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How do people feel about Pathfinder vs Occultist BV? I'm leaning pathfinder because: if i'm gonna do flavor of the league might as well go full broken, and also, I've never leveled a ranger to max

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What are some good ways to improve tankiness on pathfinder bv?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Divvynarious: overpriced junk, or BV wrecking ball?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters

Cool. I'm gonna have like ~30-35c soon? What big first item should I buy? I'm leaning towards essence worm because that'll let me turn on mind over matter, which is hopefully a big help in EHP, or maybe I should get some Real flasks first?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

heh heh the only one i could even conceivably afford anytime soon is Rumi's, and I'd still be half an exalt short of that. eh heh heh

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. I'm capping out at about tier 7 maps - I've died 2 times on the tier 8 maps I've tried. I think I really need to switch over to CI soon? https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters Even if I grabbed a shield or Mind Over Matter I don't think I'd really have enough tankiness to keep progressing. Or maybe I'm just a bad player? Please advise

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

The Real Foogla posted:

:cripes:

bad rumis are 55c, that's your only goal

get an armor flask of staunching instead of movement speed if you die too often

remove phys to lightning, its anti-synergy with your poison, get crit instead, increased duration (or added fire if you can keep 20 stacks fine without it) for controlled destruction

get blasphemy (quality as much as you can) vuln + clarity instead of hatred, lose the mana flask

get vaal pact

if you go double wand (not a fan) spend some c to get two obliterations, otherwise an expensive spelldagger + shield so you can fortify and tempest shield

whypick1 posted:

To add to what Foogla said:

You know Blade Vortex isn't an attack, right? Your mana pot has a useless suffix and you're CwDT'ing Blood Rage, so you're losing even more health without the benefit of being able to leech it back.
Did you mean to level up CwDT?
I hope you're joking about going CI because you don't have the gear and a ton of points into life. I count 14 respec needed at a minimum to get out of that Scion life wheel and into the Scion ES wheel, another 3 points to get out of Discipline and Training; the life points in Witch area can be converted to ES with an Energy from Within at least). Oh, and you still need 10 points at a minimum to get to CI and another 4 to pick up Essence Surge. It would be stupid expensive for you to make the switch now.
I would definitely go dagger/shield over dual-wand. Whirling Blades-Fortify-Faster Attacks for movement and some actual block when your Evasion inevitably fails you.
Seriously, if you're going to go Master Herbalist, you need to go all in on raising physical damage for the poison. Foogla's suggestion of Added Fire Damage is OK because it's, well, added, as opposed to converted (Phys-to-Light, Hatred).

Doesn't need Staunching because of Master Surgeon.

Thank you for the feedback. One question i have is, if I swap out hatred for vulnerability, won't that interfere with warlord's mark? How will I get life leech?

Thanks for pointing out that Blood Rage doesn't interact with blade vortex. Whoopsy

I know that if I were going to respec into CI it would take me 20-30 regrets, and a lot of item investment. It seems stronger overall, especially towards the late game. Just a long term thought I guess

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

With spell echo I don't have too much of a hard time keeping up a high stack number, so maybe I can just swap out warlord's mark for vulnerability, and then pop in life leech instead of increased duration?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i made about a combined 50c getting a rat's nest, and also getting a good regal. then promptly spent it all on rumi's

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is there any melee skill that isn't just strictly outclassed by EQ? I really want to make a melee build but I'm having trouble finding a lategame viable melee build that costs under 1ex

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1728961 I've been doing this guy's vortex+pyre/righteous fire chieftain build and it's pretty good. I also really like the basic idea: double-dip on spell and dot damage by taking advantage of vortex's "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time" by converting vortex into fire damage, then double-dipping again by getting DoT damage out of burning and Vortex's dot. But I also think it could really use some more efficiency and I'd love to see what you guys think.

So far, up through the midgame, it's been fine and dandy, but now I'm in Merciless and I actually need to think about the build a lil. So here are some of my thoughts and questions:

1. This guy uses the "Socketed gems deal 30% more elemental damage" from Essence of Horror for the Vortex skill, which he links with Controlled Destruction, Concentrated AoE, and Increased AoE. Would it be possible to get close to that amount of +damage, just by using a 5-link?
2. How do you maintain Righteous Fire? Just getting up to like 6 or 7 endurance charges, run Purity of Fire, and using Kaom's Way ring?
3. This build currently uses Warlord's Call curse-aura to build endurance charges. Is there another way to build endurance charges, so I can use Vulnerability instead (for that +DOT damage)? Alternately, would it be worth it to try to grab Whispers of Doom and run 2 auras? In that case, I'd really need even more help maintaining RF without Purity of Fire.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. So Vortex still looks fun but uhh. Looks like I need to make a new character instead of sticking with this Chieftain? I guess?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

code:
Res        Normal        -20% Regen        -40% regen        -60% regen        Vuln
88           10.8              13.5                18                27        14.4
89            9.9              12.4              16.5              24.8        13.2
How might Chieftain's 1% of fire damage leeched as life affect this?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. This Chieftain ascendancy is looking more and more poo poo for Vortex

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay,so let's say I want to do Vortex. It looks like this is Vortex + RF, right?

How do we go about it, leveling et al? How does it actually play?

So far Vortex has been fun because it's like BV but instead of spinning up 20 times you just cast one time and things explode

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

*Elemental Equilibrium

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Has anyone played with Frost Blades? Could you do Deadeye with it and get ridiculous chain+multiple projectile damage going with it? It seems like a really interesting way to get massive projectile damage scaling off a great melee weapon. If there's a unique suited to that kind of thing (as far as I can tell it's probably still just Atziri's Disfavor which rules the roost in this slot?).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Random poking around unique lists:

If you used Frost Blades, you could use Pyre to convert it to Burning Blades, and scale fire damage (and ignite!?) off of physical damage, and then use a bunch of ignite number crunching from earlier in the thread. This would be extremely powerful with vulnerability, I bet. You could achieve something similar with The Three Dragons, or Hrimburn
Touch of Anguish seems like it'd be fun for a more straightforward build.

Is burning damage always scaled off the hit? I can't seem to find any math on how much damage burning does

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

theshim posted:

That sounds pretty similar to a build I did with Lightning Strike, which scaled the projectile aspect super hard and almost completely ignored melee. Went for pierce focus instead of chain but otherwise was pretty sweet.

I bet it's a real loving pain to try and kill solo bosses, though, since the initial hit doesn't scale from projectiles at all. What was your experience with that?

• Locked thread