Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of Converting a bunch of enemies to fight for me, and really wanted to like Conversion Trap, but it sure seems awful. Is Dominating Blow a more viable option for a build with something like Melee Splash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

New skill reveal: Ancestral Protector. It's a melee totem that buffs your attack speed and smacks dudes with your weapon and extra range. You can give it melee splash but otherwise it's single target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUrqm6pBhY

Guess I'm making a totem Templar so I can throw out 4 of those things and just laugh forever. :allears: Beautiful.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Think my first character might be a Duelist Gladiator with a pair of rapiers running Cyclone and Frenzy. Spin through a pack to bleed them, spin through a second time doing bonus damage and maiming them, if any of them die they explode. Frenzy down any stragglers / uniques. Man this is gonna be a long loving week.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are folks thoughts on Prayer of Glory for the Templar Guardian:

* You and nearby allies have 15% increased Attack, Cast and Movement Speed if you've used a Warcry in the last 4 seconds
* Using Warcries is Instant

Thinking it might be interesting to try a Warcry build alternating between Abyssal Cry and Rallying Cry and maybe something like SRS or Ice Nova during the cooldown period to do damage, maybe along with a pack of zombies?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Almost 100% sure I'm going to roll a Duelist Gladiator rocking 2 weapons and Cyclone. Bleed-nado.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have no idea if it's good or bad, but I know one thing: Knockback + SRS is hilarious. My stomach loving hurts from laughing at unique bosses getting shoved into a corner.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking of picking this up again what with the upcoming release, but historically I get worn down at having to click a billion times to kill things and run around when I just want to sit and melt faces. Summoner still the most passive way to play, or should I look at a splitting arrow archer to fan out a billion arrows?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to try a Burning Arrow Ranger build with a focus on chaining it and ignites / crits. Bows are rad.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

Waiting for patch notes to drop so we can furiously theorycraft stupid-rear end builds is the worst.

Agreed, except replace stupid-rear end builds with "what is the laziest build I can make so I only have to click one active skill or better yet none". Probably going to go with Summon Zombie + Knockback / Raging Spirits + Knockback again, I remember that being loving hilarious to watch enemies get bullied right off the screen.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish they would change how animate weapons works to not be miserable as a playing experience. :(

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Real Foogla posted:

wait what? AW easily kills red maps, are you using the convocations to teleport them to you as you run? also use the ranged weapons jewels obv

Mostly I'm just complaining about having to sit and select each item one by one. If I had the option to just AoE animate all weapons around me that are normal with one click that'd be more enjoyable.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vasudus posted:

I spent two hours in the offline builder last night and I still have no idea what I want to make.

It's that time of year.

One of these days I'm going to get around to actually making a random generator for POE for Ultimate Hardcore, Have it gen a class, ascendancy, a primary skill gem, not sure what else. Maybe some keystone skills on the tree or a weapon type.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good.

quote:

Your build is: Flameblast Duelist with Elemental Equilibrium

:unsmigghh: Very good. Do buffs that just say damage like the Champion's Inspirational (You and nearby Allies deal 35% increased Damage) apply to spell damage too? A tanky flameblaster could be fun if I can avoid being interrupted.

e: I will probably now just be clicking this thing until the patch hits, work excluded. "Raise Zombie Marauder with Minion Instability" could be fun.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 2, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
12k in queue, good I have time to figure out a build still. To the RNG!

e: Ball Lightning Shadow with Point Blank, sold.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 2, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Around what level should I be running the Labyrinth on normal? Izaro just flattened me the first fight even with dodging around as much as possible at level 34 as a bow user.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

J posted:

Don't feel bad about overlevelling it - push on a bit and come back at level 40 if you want, or even later. If RNG hasn't treated you well with a decent bow drop, it can be tough to do at the appropriate level. Particularly depending on what Izaro's set of mechanics are for that day. If he has the one where he gains charges and you have really lovely damage that can be a huge pain, for example.

That's the one it was. :haw: I am the god of terrible RNG. Thanks, I'll go round out the rest of Normal.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another question I'm having issues finding info on: what affects triggered skills like Sanctify for the Inquisitor class? Do passive AoE buffs increase the area of the consecrated ground? Does skill effect duration increase how long it lasts?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Started up a Sunder 2H Mace Templar, having a lot of fun these first 30 levels; using Heavy Strike for solo targets seems to work well. Haven't grabbed any mace specific nodes yet, so could still swap over to axes as well. I've got Resolute Technique right now to give up crits and always hit, but I'm probably going to grab Inquisitor for my ascendancy; should I drop Resolute Technique and start scooping up crit chance / elemental damage nodes around the time I do? Right now giving up 5% crit chance for the jump from 80% to 100% to hit is a no brainer, but I wonder if I shouldn't drop it later one.

e: Basically looking at a core of this: https://www.poeurl.com/LhX

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 5, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

baby puzzle posted:

Aren't there skills that are literally just better than heavy strike? Like molten strike?

No idea? I remember Heavy Strike being the def-facto single target damage dealer back in the day I thought and it's been a while since I've played.

Heavy Strike: Deals (150-193.7)% of Base Attack Damage

Molten Strike: Deals (120-146.6)% of Base Attack Damage
60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
2 additional Projectiles
40% less Projectile Damage

With the right supports maybe it would do more based on how often thew orbs overlap on the single target? :shrug: I'm open to suggestions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
GGG posted some stats: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1732561

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vasudus posted:

Like people keep thinking I'm trolling or something when I mention it in guild chat but I am 100% dead serious when I say DECOY. TOTEM.

Why: Decoy Totem was changed in 2.2(?) to do an actual TAUNT. Yes, your totem that you can place on the opposite end of the screen can in fact override monster AI and cause them to be attacked, guaranteed.

Example: Right before Izaro goes active, when he's on his little lift, put a decoy totem on the opposite side of the screen. Izaro will become active, and attack you once. The decoy totem will pulse, and Izaro will immediately do a 180 and attack your totem instead. If you have it leveled, it can take A LOT of hits for what it is. No, it's not going to tank the whole goddamn fight, that would be crazy. So you cast it again when it's low or dies, and Izaro will do the same thing - attack you once, the totem pulses, and then he turns. This not only lets more frail builds still do Uber (or merciless, or whatever) but it also lets you do certain gimmicks that would otherwise be a challenge. Melee and have to do golem essences? Easy, put that totem far away from the golem and don't worry about Izaro absorbing it if you babysit it a bit.

It works on all bosses, all mobs. I use it on Izaro, I use it on Atziri, I use it on packs of leaping goatmen. I use it when I'm opening a strongbox on a rippy map. I use it on all builds, all classes.

Quality gives it more health.

Now I kinda want to try a Hiro with 1 taunt and 3 searing bond totems.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinnigan posted:

Is there any melee skill that isn't just strictly outclassed by EQ? I really want to make a melee build but I'm having trouble finding a lategame viable melee build that costs under 1ex

It's probably outclassed by EQ but I'm having a lot of fun with a Sunder focused character running Glacial Hammer for single-target bosses. Clears packs in low level maps pretty effectively, only downside is using Multistrike can get you stuck in a bad position for a while swinging away depending on your attack speed.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Huh, what's an essence of delirium do?"

quote:

Weapon: Your Hits inflict Decay, dealing 1000 Chaos Damage per second for 10 seconds
Gloves: Socketed Gems deal 30% more Damage over Time
Boots: Cannot be Poisoned
Body Armour: 50% reduced Chaos Damage taken over time
Helmet: +2 to Level of Socketed Aura Gems
Shield: Recover 2% of your maximum Mana when you Block
Quiver: 40% increased Damage with Poison
Amulet: 0.5% of Chaos Damage Leeched as Life
Ring: 40% increased Damage with Poison
Belt: +50% to Chaos Resistance while using a Flask

:stare:

Good lord. Well I'm probably better of selling it for 15 chaos, but jesus that's a nice essence.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found an Iron Commander bow so it's time to make a Siege Ballista character, thinking probably Duelist Champion for the survivability. Everyone seems to go crit elemental damage so I'll probably do the same and see how it goes. Alternatively I could go Templar Heriophant and go for 6 ballistas which sounds hilarious as well.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

Where there is a silver key, there must be a silver door

By the way, is this literally true as well? Ran lab yesterday I think and we checked every area on the map and came away with an extra silver key, so unless there was a hidden area we didn't find a secret passage to the announcer lied to us. :saddowns:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thank you sweet jesus for linking this, did not know he made these; it'll come in handy in December when new season starts.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I wish melee had cool skills like the fiery death ray and chaos waves. :( Maybe it's a graphical thing, I just want hits to launch corpses and gibs everywhere and I'd be happier.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

I heard that they are going to shorten the game, any truth to that? Everytime I think about trying again I get bored thinking about the early slog.

By shorten I mean maybe remove a difficulty.

To elaborate on Soothing Vapors post: they're adding an Act 5 in 2017 for version 3.0.0, but that would make it take 15 acts to get to end game, so they'll also be removing Cruel difficulty. It ends up being a slight reduction: 10 Acts vs. 12 Acts currently, but I imagine playing through them only twice will help with grind fatigue.

I'm curious what they'll be doing with Lab myself though; make the first two worth 3 points each and then the final one worth 2?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am torn between a bog standard Cyclone build to start, and messing with Frost Blades. Does anyone know how Frost Blades interacts with the Deadeye node Powerful Precision? Are they all considered part of the first attack with regards to "shotgunning" rules so you can't burst a single foe on the return? What about chaining, can each of the projectiles spawned chain to an enemy already hit by a different frost blade projectile from the same attack, or will they only chain off to enemies that haven't been hit by any projectiles from that attack?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

A monster can't be hit by the returning projectile if it was hit by the original.

The only restriction with Chain is that it can't be off of a single target; it takes at least 2 to make a Chain happen. For example, Arc chains 7 times at level 20. If there are only 2 monsters in range, you'll hit 1 and then each monster will get hit 3 additional times before hitting the second monster one last time for chain #7. If there's only 1 monster, Arc hits once and that's it.

Man it'd end up with a pile of potential actions with the right ascendancies:

1. Melee strike the first target. Projectiles spawn behind the target and go towards enemies in range.
2. On hit each projectile checks to pierce, starting with high chance in close and tapering off from Powerful Precision.
3. Once each projectile fails to pierce, each one could then chain once if I also take Ricochet in Deadeye.
4. After it chains once to another target, then it tries to return back towards me, possibly hitting another target if it did something useful like chain to the left/right.
5. I assume at least one of the projectiles from the attack can finally hit the target that I originally hit with the melee attack now if they don't hit anything else on their way back, but not all 7 projectiles.

I would anticipate problems with single targets though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

I will buy that day 1. Also why do they not have some sort of maps tab for stacking white maps.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

akkristor posted:

I want to work this into a Whispering Ice build for Breach league.
I've been experimenting with Whispering Ice in standard getting ready for the league and freaking love it, so I've decided to do some form of WI build.

Most WI builds use Pyre and/or Avatar of Fire, but this new unique makes me want to try a cold based build.

On a side-note, who do I need to speak to about getting into the SA guild? My friend and I (He does not have a SA act yet) have a guild that we basically use for swapping items between each other, but it's only the two of us.

gently caress now I want to start with a Glacial Hammer build. This is the worst part of every new league: deciding what to start first.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
The important thing is to Vaal Orb every strongbox and expensive unique item you come across. No guts no glory. :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Do item filters have access to stats on a given item beyond its ilvl? I still have no real idea what I should or shouldn't be picking up as far as gear goes unless it has six sockets or five+ links (not that I've ever seen a 6L) :(

Not 100% certain it's up to date, but http://poeaffix.net/ is handy for telling you what ilvls have what maximum possible stat available in a given stat type.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

That video rules, looks like a hilarious build; it's making me just want to make a summoner in general. Are there any that are just zombies? Most I see focus on spectres.

e: I do have a Dancing Dervish... :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 27, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jusupov posted:

http://filterblast.oversoul.xyz/

pick your own when they are updated for the new league

This is some sexy poo poo right here. :circlefap:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Torn between something ice related and maybe trying Caustic Arrow; gonna be a long day at work tomorrow trying to decide.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daddy like! Now I'm torn between Ice Shot and Ancestral totems. If I had ranged attack totems use Ice Shot they'd get the benefit of that jewel right, or is it player only?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

How in the world do you get that much str as a summoner?

Do you even lift bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, something broke.

• Locked thread