Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been too busy these past few months to have played lootsplosion league :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having played around with the aids build contagion/essence drain, it really does feel like old burn prolif. It feels even deadlier than burn prolif, especially on single targets. No need to worry about whiffing your ignites like with old flameblast. On the other hand, it is a bit more finnicky, the initial ED projectile is slow and flaccid, and you need to wait for the first mob to tick down before you get the prolif-like effect.

The trick will be to contagion packs, and aim your ED at the weakest mob in the pack. Hit a rare, and you need to keep shooting until you get the contagion cascade. God help you if you meet a vaal aura rare, that poo poo hard counters you.

I've decided to spec my ED for damage using Void Manipulation, Controlled Destruction, and Rapid Decay. Not sure what my 5th link will be. I don't have enough strength for Iron Will. I'm not rich enough for Empower. Perhaps Increased Duration to counteract the Rapid decay?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, if you want to automate contagion, you might want to get a Scold's Bridle and spam essence drains, and automate Cwdt-Contagion from that. You don't really care about damage from Contagion, and instead want to spread out as much ED as possible.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hauki posted:

someone was asking about ED/Cont, so here's my current planned tree: http://poeurl.com/t9l

links in no particular order are:
cont - iaoe - inc dur - fast cast
ed - rapid decay - void manip - controlled destr - some choice of fast proj, slow proj, empower (currently IIR)
wither - spell totem - iaoe - optional inc. dur
blasphemy - vuln - temp chains - AA/clarity if needed

Your choice of golem, CWDT link and movement skill. I've been swapping between flame dash and light warp, currently running chaos golem over fire.
I've got enough mana regen from gear & tree now that clarity isn't really needed, so I dropped that and took the aura cluster to fit AA. Currently I get enough life regen from ED that with judicious pot use I'm fine sustaining.
Only unique is winds of change.

edit: also sniper and potency of will are considerations for QoL. More jewel slots could be good if you have good rare jewels (I have zero).

How are you finding contagion spreading with no AoE nodes? I took them, and I'm wondering if I should respec out of them for more spell/chaos/projectile damage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I never took advantage of the post-2.0 eldritch battery/mind over matter/zealot's oath mechanics, but how do you build around it these days?

Do you effectively use it to reserve ~100% of your mana these days, and use a combination of ES gear, eldritch battery, and zealot's oath to sustain your energy shield (which acts as both your mana source and extended health). In that case, what do you typically use to sustain your life? Potions or life gained on hit?

EB/MoM/ZO might be really strong with essence drain, because it lets you split your sustain. Your essence drain goes into your life, and your life regen goes into your energy shield, which lets you sustain both pools at once.

I'm thinking to reserve my mana with blasphemy-vulnerability, temporal chains, and arctic armour.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hauki posted:

Real quick, ED doesn't sustain life with ZO specced. They changed it to regen prelaunch instead of whatever it was termed previously. That's part of the reason I specced back out of it.

Ugh, the wording is "Regenerate 0.50% of Debuff Damage as Life", which goes into the same recovery pool as if you have or don't have Zealot's Oath. I see now. No split pool sustaining here.

Now I'm considering reserving with Temp Chains, Arctic Armour and Clarity, and manual-casting Vulnerability

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

Wow holy poo poo apparently you can use Bino's Kitchen Knife + Consuming Dark + Infernal Mantle with the poison support gem to get a very big poison DoT on a fire spell, then Bino's will proliferate that poison stack when the monster dies. It looks like it kills things extremely fast with Flameblast but the radius on Bino's spreading poison is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7uHaUJQNQ

The coolest thing is you don't need to Chance to Ignite. Just 1-stack on a single mob, and the proliferate will melt the trash.

Considering the magnitude of the chaos/dot/poison nodes around Shadow, this could be legitimately viable. I wonder how this would look on a more sanely-geared character.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wait, Crit IB Facebreaker? Is he hoping for the IB explosion to crit?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have a good build for a voltaxic archer? I ask, because right now, I think voltaxic + poison has a shitload of untapped potential.

Also, who remembers what the price of Voltaxics stabilised at during Awakening/1month? I ask because I'm wondering whether or not to buy voltaxics at 1exalt now, or later. Because later, I suspect some jerk is going to come out with a poison Voltaxic guide, and make the price skyrocket.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People throw around the term crit, but there are several defintions you need to wrap your head around.

There is base crit chance, local crit chance, and global crit chance. Finally there is your actual crit chance, which is a function of all of the above. This is why base crit (and local crit) is the most important stat for any crit build.

A well-rolled harbinger bow has up to 9.35% base crit. This is multiplied by your global crit chance modifiers. In order to reach the crit chance cap of 95%, you need at least +916% increased global crit chance from tree and gear. This is quite hard, most non-GG geared crit bow builds reach the ballpark of 60-70% crit chance, and this is more than enough to clear high level maps.

On the note of bow crit, is it worth taking all of the bow crit notables (King of the Hill, Lethality, Assassination, Heartseeker), even if the bow you are planning on using doesn't have very much local crit, and you don't intend on investing in much crit on gear? I'm planning out a Voltaxic, with a base crit of 6%. I've heard that it's always worth taking these nodes as a bow character no matter what, or is it better to focus on scaling my damage with "increased damage" nodes?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
On the note of staves, alot of people like to craft +3 fire gems and supported by L1 blood magic, which also lets them 7-link their summon raging spirits.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ronya posted:

Was wondering when this bug crept in.

Yeah that was incredibly annoying, I was wondering why it kept doing that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

Fixed a bug where skills (from both players and monsters) which dealt chaos damage over time were doing far too much damage when supported by Poison.

Hang on, this is a pretty big deal.

Rip supporting essence drain with poison, it seems to have been scaling the poison DoT from ED's secondary DoT.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JTDistortion posted:

If I were to link Cast on Damage Taken, a spell, Curse on Hit, and a curse, will the CoDT trigger a spell that curses on hit, or will it trigger the spell and the curse separately and ignore the CoH?

Yes, this works quite well. Keep the CwDT and the spell at a low level, and the spell with go off repeatedly (for little damage, but that's not the aim). Keep the CoH and curse at high level, and the tagged enemies will be heavily debuffed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao mathil just chanced a skyforths in the middle of the atziri fight during shield phase like it was no dang thang

i believe he can make something happen

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

nightwisher posted:

So I made a video of my poison trapper build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzQgumDobg

Gear and Gem Setup

6S5L Queen of the Forest - Bladefall / Trap - Conc.Effect / Trap.Damage / Poison

3L Jaws of Agony - Bear Trap / Trap.Damage / Poison / Void Manipulation (Jaws of Agony gives us a free lvl 20 bear trap and effective 4-link)

4L Southbound - CWDT / Immortal Call / Blood Magic / Clarity

4L Atziri's Step - Whirling Blades / Faster Attacks / Spell Totem / Wither

4L Alpha's Howl - Grace / Vaal Grace / Vaal Grace / Increased Duration

3L Bino's Kitchen Knife - Blasphemy / Vulnerability / Enduring Cry

Skill tree setup: Clicky

How it works: Bladefall/Bear Trap deals ridiculous base physical damage and are perfect for inflicting huge poison damage. Bino allows the poison to spread on death, and heals you for a proportion of the highest poison stack. Southbound makes it so that your hits (and therefore traps) cannot kill mobs unless they're frozen - which works out perfectly because it allows us to get credit for the kill (traps count as hits, but your poison DoT does not), otherwise the traps would get credit for the kill and Bino's effects would not trigger. The rest of the gem setups are pretty self-explanatory, wither totem is used on high chaos resistance bosses or extremely high-hp targets but is otherwise not used much because you kill far too fast for the totem to keep up.

Despite having a very low amount of HP I've rarely died because Bino's regeneration will protect you from almost everything bar onehits. The build has ~38k evasion with a flask up, giving us over 130% movespeed from Queen of the Forest, 40/45 dodge (78/83 with Vaal Grace), 20% block and (when the build is complete), roughly 4.3k HP.

Leveling the build is super easy. If you have a night's hold, almost any spell can be used to level. Bladefall is probably the best hands down for damage and speed, though once you get a 4L you're better off running it as Bladefall + Conc + Echo + Added Fire while running Herald of Ash and Hatred. The insane damage from this combo will carry you to A4Merc with little effort. Once you have most of your trap damage and utility nodes, you can switch over to traps and start using them. Bear in mind that poison requires a minimum amount of damage to achieve critical mass, the build doesn't work before you get your damage mods since they're the difference between poison working by itself or not. Obviously, Bino's and Southbound are core required uniques. After those, you can slowly add in the other gear as you can afford it. Priority would be Jaws of Agony and Mings after that. Your jewellery is going to be expensive though - You only get 4 slots to cover all your resists and life/mana/regeneration.

On the plus side, you will melt hard bosses like butter. I've done Rigvald, Atziri, twinned malformation Piety, Colosseum Daresso and Merc Malachai. Aside from some rips due to being lazy, nothing has seriously challenged this build yet.

Edit: Here's my character page, name is HaveYouHeardOfSoap. This might make it easier to check out my gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ProAtWorkHere/characters

The choice of Alpha's howl seems a bit weird and not worth it. Looking at the video, you hadn't specced into the Charisma notable yet. Charisma cluster + notable gives the same amount of remaining mana as no notable + Alpha's howl, I'd have specced into that node earlier and worn a helmet with life and resists and evasion.

And good god, 3k life as an evasion build. Well, with good jade flask usage and positioning, you should be safe.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Lioneye's isn't bad even when playing crit, because it lets you completely forgo accuracy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If they open the door to negative feedback they also let in dickholes starting poo poo over nothing, people feeling like they got ripped off, every idiot who doesnt get things the way they want

Yeah, like that guy who freaked about a mastercrafter who screwed up his +2 chaos gems staff, when apparently the staff wasn't able to be mastercrafted in the first place.

Of course, the mastercrafter also hosed up, and wasn't aware that it was uncraftable as well.

Maybe a solution is to only allow negative feedback within the shop thread, and come down like the fist of god on anyone who tries to export drama.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AegisP posted:

I love my evasion characters to death, but man, there definitely is something satisfying of playing a 20k Armour, 63% block, Cybil's Blade Vortex character now and again where you can see just how much poo poo it takes to make your hp pool move any significant degree below full.

link tree and gear please

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Acht posted:

I'm trying to transition my ED/Contagion build to include Righteous Fire on HC.
I have the Rise of the Phoenix and about 2ex to spend.
Is the idea to go full ES + Chaos Inoculation + Zealot's Oath and then pick as much +ES nodes and Regen nodes as possible?
I'm currently hybrid (3.5k/4.5k) but that seems counterproductive to RF.

Are there specific items I could shop for? I never played with Righteous Fire yet.

RF doesn't work with CI, as it automatically shuts off when your life is 1. And your life is always 1.

If you want RF, you want pure life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Conclusion: keeping up frenzy stacks so your snakebites poison is an ungodly bitch, I'm no longer bothering with this. I've slotted poison in my blast rain instead. Also, this opens up a new set of slots for CwDT, which is nice defensively.

Besides, poison on voltaxic lightning arrow isn't very effective. It's way too inconsistent: you either deal no damage and hence no DoT, or you deal so much damage that the mob evaporates.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

gently caress no

i invested in these 7 frenzy charges for a reason

and i only get 2-3 jewel nodes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm watching Nugi's stream, and it's the hipsterest goddamn thing.

Self-cast chaos spark, using Voltaxic and Rigwald's Quills.

Edit: you can probably push it towards damage by dropping blood magic keystone, replacing the poison support with snakebites, and reserving mana with wrath and HoT.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 3, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rigwald's curses aren't that expensive, heck, they're cheaper than the actual facebreakers themselves.

http://poe.trade/search/ihaimanikunata

I dropped a pair of 790% facebreakers last week, I might keep it and roll a crit facebreaker myself. Not sure on Ice Crash, Cyclone, or Infernal blow.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've seen people use Soul Mantle triple totem builds with no mana reservation or regeneration, and recovering their mana with long duration curse immunity mana flasks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Serious question, has anyone tried swapping to storm call on Mjolner against bosses or tough rares? Surely having a spare L19+ Storm call on a spare slot, or a Mjolner on weapon swap, is faster than waiting for the boss to pick up the deadhand talisman.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I still can't work out how to not stumble onto malachai's landmines

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Touch of God is tankable with capped lightning res and lots of hp, but it's also very avoidable (even as melee). Just keep on your toes while attacking: as soon as you get the audio cue, leap slam/whirling blade/quicksilver away. I find the lightning ghost projectiles trickier to dodge, because there is less windup, and you are more likely to get hit by some of them.

I love the Dominus voice actor, the guy sounds like he's having a blast shouting some of those lines.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

Very late since I didn't look at SA over the long weekend, but for those of you who were asking about tanking Dominus's Touch of God, I've generally been able to tank the A3 Merciless one with a tanky character and take around 3500-4000 damage, but I've never not gotten oneshot by the Residence (lvl 76 map) one. Take from that what you will, from my experience it feels like the map versions of bosses are all significantly faster than their normal versions on top of their oneshot attacks actually oneshotting you, so learning to dodge them will be very important once you get to higher levels anyways. My first and only attempt at Conservatory Vaal in a party of 6 ended with me not reacting fast enough to get out of the way of a second laser after the first one hit me, which was never at all a concern in normal progression, and it was not a turbo or boss turbo map.

On the other hand, I probably have died a lot more to Kole in the normal game than the map Kole because I always assume map Kole will oneshot me with ground slam but sometimes I feel like I can tank the A3 Kole when I can't.

Super mechanical fights are a pain to fight in groups, because particle effects fly everywhere and you are often playing on someone else's server. Hope the boss mob AI didn't roll an attack decision on you!

Kolonnade also scares the poo poo out of me, because my computer always lags in rainy maps, while Lunaris Kole is fought indoors. Just bring a curse removal flask and some AoE to get rid of his buddies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Embezzlers are great. Whiffed embezzlers with no rates nearby are a disappointment.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My best box gave me a 6L steelwood bow

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rashomon posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I'm going to totally disagree with this.

Instead, take those alchs you have that you would be using on alching two-stone rings. Let's say you have around 10 (low estimate). Trade them to someone for chaos orbs. There's a currency trader on poe.trade, or you can just find someone who needs them in guild chat or something. It's not hard, I've bought and sold alchs a bunch this season. So now you have say, 5 chaos orbs.

With just a few chaos, it's easy to go on poe.trade to buy two great rings and a great belt or amulet or body armor or whatever that will have a ton of resists. You might use a search that looks like this one: http://poe.trade/search/akoboyamimigot Heck, as of this current search, there is an online guy with a ring that has >100 total resistance, life, and even a small weapon ele damage up for an alch. Alching one white ring is not going to get you results like that. There's also a ring up for 1c that has 107 resists, 54 life, and still has room for a good crafted affix. You can find similar gear in other slots for bargain-basement prices -- after a week or so of a season, you can get medium-good rare gear for almost nothing, since everyone is looking for the big T1 life rolls and big offensive stats, % rarity on top of other good rolls, etc. Something as simple as tri-res and life doesn't cost much at all.

This is the correct way to gear yourself on a budget, though it's worth considering that these values change over the course of a league. Alching random jewelry is useful early in a league (like first week) because the market is yet to be saturated by good cheap items. Now, just buy. It's probably still worth alching good 75+ bases like diamond rings.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If someone has a level 7 master and doesn't read "scour the belt" as "scour the mastermod using the workbench", I don't think they would understand anything.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
CI Icestorm going to Unwavering Stance is not a waste, you can convert quite alot of those str nodes to int using those jewels.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

high tier decision making skills here

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've gotten a shitload of double ghosts, I'd been giving them out for free on global 820! Maybe I should have given them to goons, or sold them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It does say hit by, and the RF degen is a DoT which specifically isn't a hit.

It's still useful if you can wrangle up a redblade helmet, because that way every single physical hit you receive will proc fire damage on you, and buff your regen. Also, the increased damage you deal looks like a global mod, so it should affect the RF burn on enemies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Budgie posted:

You forgot about these which appeared around the start of the ascendancy announcements: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Letters_from_Chitus

Sweet, I'd always loved Act 3 and Sarn, way more than any of the other acts. I'd love more of that, we barely know anything of Chitus besides "Monkey King", I want to see him act as a total rear end in a top hat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao i hope that flask is usable in hideouts, it would be a hilarious source of afk pk deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Varanustra sword might be an okay starter endgame weapon, but it pales in comparison to a proper 300pdps 1-hander that you really want. Stacking a ton of linear return multiplier won't be as effective as boosting your more multiplier with more base damage.

• Locked thread