Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ABombpk posted:

I've always wanted to do a trapper but I hear the clear speed sucks and you end up quite squishy.

Any happy mediums out there? Maybe with the new chaos spells?

As an alternative, I love blowing poo poo up. For reference, I've only ever played cyclone, ice crash, and TS Archer.

These are the two I've came up with so far:
http://poeurl.com/tqq - BM IR with Energised Armour for about ~240% increased defences
http://poeurl.com/tET - Basically identical damage and HP but mana based and with MoM

Can't decide which one to do though. Both are around 200% life. For context the most damage you could realistically get from trap nodes prepatch was 140ish%. Plus the 76% or so Elemental from Shadow start, 28% for a chosen element and a bit of spell damage for like 260% total . Now you can get 281% from trap nodes plus 20% more throwing speed and 100% trigger radius and the 108% Ele and a bit of Spell damage so you're looking at around 400% in total. No room for crit though. In the previous patch my Lightning Trap was getting around 8k per projectile with LT - Multi - Trap and Mine - Chain, which is the best combo for clearing and the more enemies in a group the quicker they die. Single target can be bad early but the best thing I've found is just Fire Trap and Bear Trap, the Trap gem isn't worth it imo. I'm hoping the BM IR one will solve the trapper defence problems but worried about only 1.8% life regen and losing HP because the traps get up to 100 mana per throw at like level 17. Probably not worth doing an EE Trapper until the patch after with the new cold trap and cluster traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ABombpk posted:

Thanks sir! Have you had much success with trappers before?

I've been playing them since traps were put in pretty much, much prefer it to self casting. I always found using fire trap for your aoe kind of boring though. The lighting trap buff made it better for clearing and its way more fun exploding the screen and firing 40 projectiles out. If a boss is in a middle of the pack you can actually do loads of damage as well if you get good chains. Fire trap is better for single target now. You only need a 3 link (FT - Conc - Trap&Mine Damage) and if you get an ignite or crit it does insane damage. I've played a few up to 85 where I've gotten complacent and died because trapper defences suck or just moved on to something else. I'm hoping this BM IR build with the Energised Armour jewel will change that though and I might even get the Duelist endurance charge plus the bandit one, should be much better with the tree damage buffs and I'm sick of crit as well anyway

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
how do you spell the burning man's explosion

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Need some help with what to do with my build, mainly items. It's a Discharge RF IW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AiWibY_ug
Here's the tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/uhhhhahhhhohahhh/characters

I'm clearing pretty quickly it seems but my gear is poo poo, need lot's more life and armour would be great. I have 7 endurance charges and 3 frenzy, I can get one more for 3 points and it's all converted to fire using Pyre. I have Blasphemy + Warlords Mark for endurance charges but it isn't that great at getting them for some reason (feels like it's bugged to me.) Was wondering if a Darresso's Defiance on an armour character is going to be worth it or not, or if I'm just going to keep losing my charges all the time? I could drop the Blasphemy setup for something else if it works (even though the life leech seems great) but then that means I need a bunch of other uniques to make it worth it: a Doon's (for Flame Surge), a Repentance (because getting BBBRR Daresso's is going to be poo poo) and then I might as well put the Discharge in a Geoffri's Crest for the +1... (DIscharge/Faster Casting/Controlled Destruction/Fire Pen) Then since I'm Iron Will an Astramentis and for boots I could use Blood Dance so I can drop Blood Rage and stop degenning while getting Frenzy charges. Aside from how expensive all this is going to be, I'm only going to have 1 ring and my belt slot for capping my resists and getting more life.

Does going this far sound dumb? If going for Darresso's is the smart move I could probably keep the Warlords Blasphemy to be safe (I'd only run AA or Vitality otherwise) but where do I stop? Doon's is a must, is the Geoffri's/Repentance idea poo poo? I could stop there because I probably won't be able to afford Astra for ages and get better life boots or should I just stick with what I've got?? forget about Darressos, try to get a random 5link BBBRR armour chest, Doon's, Astramentis and focus on the Iron Will rather than fixing Blood Rage degen and frenzy charge generation etc. I'm not even technically capped resists with my current setup, only 73% cold resist.

I'm going for more life for now since I'm only doing T2 maps and the clear speed seems decent so I don't think another frenzy charge will help at the moment. I have barely any currency at the moment either. 1ex and like 10 chaos at most

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 4, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1551608

They just revealed the new Ice Trap skill, as well as a Cluster Trap Support gem. I'm wondering if cluster trap stacks with multiple traps.

Answered by Rory:

"Multiple traps will add extra traps to the Cluster Trap, meaning you'll throw 7 traps total in the cluster trap random radius.

We're still looking at Multiple Traps, and will improve the behaviour if we can!"

Definitely going to be doing a tri-ele trapper in new patch but might have to drop the EE dream since it does more than one hit

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I frequently run out of key binds because I'm a fag who loves having a 2L skill or whatever if I have the slots for it and it's situationaly useful. Also, I really hate loving with auras when I die or log in or whatever.

I hate auras too and wish I could be blood magic on every character but playing without Warlord's Mark + Blasphemy :negative:

also: anyone who ever done a Queen of the Forest build; how much evasion % you need to get from the tree with average to poo poo gear to not be slow as balls?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

This depends really heavily on whether you're using a shield.

Ultima66 posted:

Every time I've used it I've run Grace to have minimum 10000 evasion. The only annoyance is being in towns where your auras are turned off. If you're not using Grace you'd have to be using a really good shield for justify wearing it.

Most likely with a shield but hopefully not Grace. Trying to come up with a trapper build that actually has defences for ascendency. It'll be non-crit and not sure on whether it'll be MoM (with or without auras) or Blood Magic yet but I want to try to run that Clear Mind jewel

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

If you can work two of the +60% shield defenses nodes in to your build (Deflection and Precise Interception are decent choices and give you a bit more to boot), you should be close to even with a build running Grace. Take Revenge of the Hunted and Survivalist, and with okay evasion gear and a couple more ev nodes or a lot of dex where you can find them you can even out your speed. Good gear will give you a speed boost. Running grace on top of that would give you like +20-30% move speed.

This is about the best I can do:

Blood Magic
MoM

Even if I had 500 on every slot and 1500 on chest I still wouldn't be able to hit the 12k needed to get positive move speed :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

My safe builds I've got planned for new league hardcore are a permastunner using the new Earthquake skill for clearing (hoping this doesn't make the price of a Marohi go up too much) still waiting on the last Marauder subclass to decide what it might be because 2 of the Duelist ones will work great with it

Otherwise I'm trying to come up with a queen of the forest trapper using the new trap skill, maybe MoM, maybe blood magic, maybe with Clear Mind, maybe Elemental Equilibrium too. No clue yet.

3rd is a non-crit Taryns (later Pledge) Arctic Breath aoe build. Played one in the last flashback and it was safe and actually cleared really fast in a 4 link.

They should be able to do all map mods.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When I was levelling my RF IW build this league I actually found flame surge to be the fastest clearing skill I had, faster than firestorm even with no damage nodes other than the Templar AoE and the Marauder Fire/Regen nodes. Used fire trap and flame surge for the extra fire damage

Otherwise I'm pretty sure lightning trap is one of - if not the fastest clearing skill for levelling now and its really fun, especially with chain. It might just be a bit undiscovered

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 14, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

Glad they changed the Elementalist node, seemed like it was going to be like the rigwald ring, all gimmick and no usefulness.

With what we know so far, I am most excited about Gladiator, Assassin, and Hierophant. Not to say that those are the best, they just give me ideas of stuff to do, and fit with how I like to play. Some of the others look outright insane if they were put into the game as is, but I would imagine that there will be a lot of other changes that comes with 2.2 to normalize things.

Also, I wonder if it will be easy to get the last two points for an acendency class from the merc labyrinth. I think my first guy will be someone who can function well with only 4 points in a tree.

Hierophant seems like the best defensive caster class. I wanted to do an Arctic Breath non-crit Shadow as one on my main 3 next league but Templar start seems better because of that class.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Katasi posted:

Looks like Perandus is a title given to treasurers or people in charge of money. Expect something to do with currency or rarity.

i think it's supposed to be a family??

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

I'm planning to do something similar with my first character, but I'm going to go for permastun with heavy strike on bosses and maybe swap Earthquake out for ground slam in scary maps. I've not decided whether to go Juggernaut and run around with 8 or 9 endurance charges or go Slayer for the big boss damage. Hope this new skill doesn't shoot the cost of Marohi up too much

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm looking at all these Ascendacy trees and i'm like "Oh tricksters has some good defense nodes"

Then I started trying to build a freeze pulse that would use that but be survivable in HC...Not exactly sure how it would work out actually. Anyone got any insight because this one is leaving me the most puzzled on how to build it.

Was thinking freezing pulse build...

I've got a Trickster Arctic Breath build planned for HC, probably going to use a Taryn's and hopefully later a Pledge. It'll probably look something like this: http://poeurl.com/xbO
You could try something like http://poeurl.com/xbR instead

Having seen people playing with Ice Trap on stream I'm not really feeling it now, don't know if I want to do a tri-ele trapper... Thinking of trying to do a pure lightning Queen of the Forest trapper so I can zoom around everywhere with LT, Arc and P2L Bear Trap. Arc and LT will be sick with the everything explodes Ascendancy node. Going to be hard to get lots of Evasion for QotF if I'm using an Agnerod for the lightning penetration though, will probably have to be Blood Magic too

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Tykero posted:

I have like fifty-something premium tabs because I'm bad with money and have a mancrush on Chris Wilson of Grinding Gear Games

Edit: I can't decide between an Earthquake Berserker or a Frost Trap Saboteur. Both look really cool. I'd kinda prefer the Frost Trapper as a first character because it would be easier to gear, except I can't come up with a build with reasonable health and defenses on that side of the tree while still getting the trap nodes I want.

I'm having trouble with it too, original plan was Eva/Dodge and Queen of the Forest and run fast but don't think I'm going to get the evasion needed too reach the 12.5k minimum you need to start gaining move speed.

Current plan is just going Iron Reflexes and using an Energised Armour jewel and some evasion nodes to hopefully get a big total, but they both require going blood magic just to get 200% hp

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Hope Earthquake doesn't make Marohi Erqi too expensive or my build is fooked :pray: only one for sale in Perandus HC is 2ex!!

Do we know if Ghost Scrooge McDuck can sell every unique in the game or if it's just a selection?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Velveteen posted:

I just got chain reaction with 4 points in the saboteur ascendancy tree and my ice trapper turned into a trap god. The damage on this skill is insane, and they can "shotgun" when the small AoEs overlap. This is doing way more damage than bladefall back in talisman.

I don't like ice trap that much :( tried it on a couple of trappers i had left over from last league and it didnt feel that great, doesn't work very well with EE (neither does lightning trap)

Arc and LT cluster traps feel great with them all exploding at the same time though, too bad there isn't a decent single target lightning skill so you have to use bear trap...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
If you're melee builds can't you put it on Cast on Melee Kill??

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
There is a very constant progression of unique 2 handed swords that are always an upgrade, about every 10-20 levels or so, right up until you can use Oro's or Doomsower

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

What's the dumbest attack or spell I can put on traps or totems? I feel like doing something stupid and inefficient.

Rain of Arrows Point Blank Chin Sol Cluster Traps with Shrapnel Shot trap for single target

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Well I got my account separated from Steam but apparently I am one of those people who gets stuck on "Checking resources..." :smith:

e: I give up, all the solutions for this problem either didn't work for me or are super retarded. I guess I'd rather wait an hour per patch than not play at all :shrug:

I think you have to delete the big content.ggk file or whatever it's called (not at my PC) and then run the launcher. It can be stuck on checking resources for ages though. It's happened to me a couple of times, I've got a fast SSD and it took up to 30 minutes before it started downloading

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
raizQT has made a few RF ED/Contagion builds that clear super fast on his youtube channel

nugiyen is playing a non-RF ED/Contagion on his stream in this Solo Self Found Challenge in PHC and doing fine, he's even done it as a Champion - I think he's also 100% Pierce

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

You can do a discharge build but it won't be great until you get a volls which is quite expensive (16-20ex range). That mace isn't expensive anymore, like 45c-1ex.

Can't you just use the Hierophant node Conviction of Power and a Romira's to generate power charges instead of Volls if you want to do it on a budget

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The Real Foogla posted:

I just realized why I didn't pick sunder: it alternates weapons, groundslam always uses the main hand (I also wonder if the sunder waves count as hits for the hammer itself)

Sunder is axe/mace/staff only, it will still work. You just won't ever hit with the prismatic eclipse. Ground Slam works exactly the same way

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to do a caustic arrow deadeye but I'm going to scale the physical attack part instead :sax:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

J posted:

I actually tried your build just to fool around with it a little bit on the 2 week league, got up to level 65 or so. I quite liked it. Which ascendancy node do you think you'd pick up with the extra 2 points? With the doubled armor from chest node I'm trying to figure out the merits between kaom's, a lightning coil, or just a big 2k+ armor rare chestpiece. But the unyielding node doesn't look bad either.

That double armour node with Bramblejack Mk. II :sax:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Grizlor posted:

I'm either gonna be a tricurse CI occultist that somehow makes Darkscorn work with lioneye's fall/wand and staff nodes, or axe onslaught lightning strike raider :black101:

I'm going to do a detonate dead chieftain to start probably but was also planning an Oro's Sacrifice Lightning Strike Raider too! Are you planning on going chain or pierce? I think Deadeye might be more optimal because of the free +1 Chain, them you don't have to use either, but I really want to be a Raider

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
How do you know they aren't going to change the good nodes like perma-Fortify to require 6-8 nodes instead with some of the ones in front being below average. just because they've made nodes on the Slayer tree (the shittest ascendancy and only one we've seen) more accessible doesn't mean the same will happen for the broken ones

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 21, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can do a 2h wild strike ele build without EE and use Elemental Hit as your single target!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Same, that new Juggernaut thing would be perfect for the RF IW Discharger I did. Really want to try and do the Detonate Dead guy i'm planning as a Chieftan (or Arctic Breath AoF if DD sucks) might be better as a Juggernaut too now... Don't know why Jugger even got buffed so much and Chieftan barely got anything.

Can't decide between doing an Oro's Sacrifice Lightning Strike Raider or basically the exact same build with a Hyaon's. They're both about the same damage but Hyaon's lets you wear a shield

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

can i play self cast fire discharge

panda clue posted:

I'm very seriously considering doing this myself. I've never played self-cast discharge, but being able to force instant max charges with a single enduring cry every few seconds makes the playstyle far more appealing to me.

I did this as a Righteous Fire, Iron Will Scion in Talisman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AiWibY_ug

All my gear was poo poo (only had the necessary Doon's, Pyre and Rise of the Phoenix), I only had a 4l up until 85 where I got bored of the league and suicided on a dumb map. Probably the most fun build I've played and can be quite fast too, it'll be even better with all the endurance charge buffs from Juggernaut now and the newly buffed Prolif if you can get the AoE up, but I don't think you need it if you go full AoE anyway. The original build has you going all the way over to Acrobatics and picking up Frenzy charges, then using Daresso's for gaining charges. If you kill one enemy you'll get full charges if you play the new Juggernaut, won't even need Blasphemy Warlords. I think I had something like 7 endurance charges and 4 frenzy charges all dealing fire damage because of Pyre and sustaining charges wasn't that big a deal with just warlords mark. it's even easier if you go dodge and use the daresso.

You can change it however you want as well. You don't need to go Righteous Fire if you don't want to. Can go Iron Will on it's own or not and scale through conventional means or drop the Acrobatics/Daresso's and just use Blasphemy Warlords and a Kaoms instead and use a Searing Touch for your 6L or a Repentance with Discharge in a Geoffri's Crest for a 5link and +1 gems.

It'll work with a bunch of other ascendancies as well... Chieftan, Hierophant, Elementalist etc.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My solution to that problem on my RF IW Discharger was just using Flame Surge, you get the extra damage from the RF ignite and it casts so fasts it feels very good. You can alternatively just use any other fire skill in a 4 link. Firestorm probably being the most powerful/safest.

So tempted to do the self cast Discharge again but don't want to do a build I've already done, think I'll stick with my original blood magic detonate dead (or whatever skill i feel like) and searing bond/flame totem Chieftain. I never did a Prolif build back in the day, might give it a try this time. Maybe this will finally be the patch Detonate Dead gets the Spell tag!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can scale it with fire and elemental and area damage off the tree though... they probably did it because hey were worried about it being too broken originally with something like righteous fire or iron will

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can self cast Arc until you get to atziri and then just take out your self cast gems like spell echo and faster casting and put mine and minefield in.

With the changes to saboteur, the 100% increased mine arming speed, if it works like it sounds like it might make miners way less clunky so you might consider doing a full on arc miner. I did one way back in Beyond before they nerfed their HP and throwing down a few of them would one hit Beyond packs. It wasn't as fun as doing it with traps but the damage was crazy. Not sure if they're going nerf mine builds this league though. Either the support gems or the tree

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My RF IW Discharger had 7 endurance and 4 frenzy charges using Pyre and it was fine. Blood Rage felt better for getting charges than the warlords blasphemy I was using anyway. Was doing well over 10k damage discharges with just RF going, a 4 link, no iron will, no damage from tree, poo poo gear and faster casting socketed.

If I was going to do it again I would think about dropping RF because it messed with the flow a bit - it would burn mobs down and mess with my charge generation and I was one hitting packs with it anyway. Going Dresses Defiance and Acrobatics for charges instead of Warlords Mark Blasphemy felt better in the brief time I tested it also

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Not started playing this league yet but saw some dudes in this thread talking about performance issues since the patch.

Chris posted this, might help some of you: https://m.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4nfcgl/psa_how_to_turn_off_the_background_loading/

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What dont you like about it? I had loads of fun on my RF IW Discharger a couple of leagues back so I didn't have any of this broken Juggernaut poo poo helping out

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Reminder though that the spell damage from Iron Will doesn't double dip ignites (which I don't think matters too much) but the increased damage from the Doon's does

I've done a RF IW Discharger & Flame Surge Scion with a Doon's before Ascendancy. I really like Iron Will builds and Doon's especially because it's a great cheap and easy to get 4 link on a new character in a new league. You can still work towards a 6 link anyway and put IW as a link, and later on you can get a Repentance and drop the IW gem and have a technical 7 link, even an 8 link if you go Pledge instead. The Doon's is still great after that for a really strong 4L single target skill though.

I still wouldn't run RF though, it just hinders you too much at the start of a league, especially in HC. Although saying that, a build that uses RF should still be able to clear quickly without it, it should just be an extra bonus on maps where you can run it and then you have regen on maps where you can't.

I'm planning to do some sort of Iron Will build next league maybe but this time I'm going to do it as a Hierophant and go Pledge I think and stack mana. Undecided on what skill I'll use though, probably one of Glacial Cascade/Magma Orb/Ball Lightning/Arc/Blade Vortex/Incinerate

I'm holding off on doing it as a Chieftan because I'm sort of considering a searing bond character.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

have they announced any skill nerfs yet?

In the reddit thread where Chris mentions the 2 new skills he also mentions an entire gem rebalance that they can talk about now

Everything looks sick but I think they've made the same mistake with the new challenge league that they did with the last one: it's not in your face enough, it looks like you could play through the entire league without interacting with it at all, same as Prophecy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

It sounds like the essences will buff monsters before though, kinda like talisman but not as extreme.

I really only want a few things out of a complete rebalance, namely a reason to use all the other skills. Hopefully that happens.

He shows it in one of the videos, the monsters are locked in place and can't do anything so unless you click on them, the fight won't start

• Locked thread