Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing something with chaos damage this league. It's going to either be a pure chaos caster, a physical spell + poison caster, or voltaxic rift lightning arrow. Except the righthand side of the tree is now strange and weird and I can't seem to make it work how I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing a chaos caster to start, after that I don't know. I want to do something new-ish, maybe with frost blades?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Physical spells with the poison gem + poison nodes should be interesting too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

vOv posted:

I'm considering chaos damage but considering that it seems to want you to do lowlife and LL is usually expensive (anything above like 10-20c is expensive to me) I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try Arc.

How do you figure it wants you to do lowlife? There's nothing remotely life related except for the fact that Essence Drain has spell lifeleech built in. If anything, that would encourage a high health build.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is what I'm thinking for a chaos caster:

Essence Drain - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Rapid Decay
Contagion - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Rapid Decay - Increased Duration
Wither - Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Increased Duration
Temporal Chains - Vulnerability - Blasphemy - Increased AOE(? maybe)

Now, I could use a Sire of Shards and get basically poison nova out of my Essence Drain, plus get a huge boost to damage from the +proj on the sire and an extra link for something like Empower. Or I could use a Consuming Dark and get the ability to poison things with my chaos spells, except I'm not sure that the degen effect will work for poisoning very well. If every tick of degen applied a poison stack, then the +poison nodes would be amazing.

Rakeris posted:

Anyone tried the crit staff version of ice crash? Was thinking about giving it a go for the next league.

Crit Staff Ice Crash is very good. I had one in Warbands and it was a ton of fun and very powerful. Your endgame weapon (Hegemony's Era) is very expensive though, FYI.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
LA is going to be my fallback build if caster doesn't work out.

I'm going acrobatics because I loving hate pure health/es builds, the last few casters I did were all big punching bags of health and I think that greatly contributed to my overall dislike of casters since 2.0.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm a big fan of EB + Ghost Reaver and reserving 100% mana on auras. Needs a crapton of leech though so it only works for a few builds. I did it on my reaver and it was amazing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dirt posted:

One more dumb question: Everyone is going to start on Hardcore in the new league right? Do you guys keep playing that character even after you die and get kicked down to non-hardcore? Or do you reroll?

Probably 85% of us are on league softcore, and those that die in league hardcore will likely reroll.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I play recklessly until mapping then I try not to die. Unless I've just leveled, at which point yolo double reflect no regen ahoy

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Gibbo posted:

I picked a lousy day to actually wake up before noon. This is going to be a long wait

I'm working from home today and I've been up since 6am. I have conference calls most of the day.

http://i.imgur.com/6yB3QZa.gifv <- this has been me all morning.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anybody that gets mad at people asking questions can go gently caress themselves. This is one of those easy to learn, hard to master games.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

nightwisher posted:

Holy gently caress, Controlled Demolition gives 44% more spell damage for -100% reduced crit chance. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that's good!

Yeah, I'm probably never going crit spellcaster again.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TheRat posted:

Crit multi is pretty good too.

Oh, it is, absolutely. I'm just glad that I don't have to go balls out with crit and get poo poo like Maligaro's gloves and other assorted things.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cool things about ED:

The projectile portion directly affects the DoT afterwards. So putting things like LMP, GMP, Chain or Slower Proj on it will modify the DoT either positively or negatively. This is making me want to run ED in a Sire of Shards more than ever.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm going to run ED in a Sire of Shards with Controlled Destruction, Void Manipulation, Rapid Decay and Slower Projectiles. Don't give a poo poo about ED being slow when it's in a nova, gotta stack them MOREs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
40% pierce seems okay for ED now, debating on using the gem for 5L. Empower might be the best bet for damage.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
As requested, here's my build after I abandoned ED/contagion:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...Fro1utj6-7w1fVv

I am using Bladefall - Faster Casting - Controlled Destruction - Poison. It is amazing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

Can I ask why you abandoned the chaos build? Bladefall looks fun too so I'm kinda trying to decide between the two builds. I haven't actually had time to play yet so I'm trying to get a feel for them vicariously

I really don't like janitoring Essence Drain. Yes, it's very strong. Yes, it's better with lots of AOE, which I had (witch nodes, +inc AOE on contagion) and I even ran with 40% pierce via nodes. It's annoying to spread to packs of things despite all of this. Other people really dig it, it's just not my thing.

NecroMonster posted:

the Poison support gem is loving insane with anything that it can actually support.

I'm not 100% sold on it, now that I've had a bit to play with it. Sure, it does like 30% of a mob's health over 2s, but unless that poison kills it you still have to cast it again. I think it's better overall to just kill it the first time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arzachel posted:

I want to roll a 2h flicker but at least on paper cyclone seems to be way less of a hassle. Running blood rage for frenzy charges is worth it either way, right?

If you can reliably handle blood rage in any capacity you should use it. 4% attack or cast speed and 4% more damage per charge is great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I'm going to try Point Blank Iron Grip Chin Sol Blast Rain Marauder. I want to do a ranged attack build that's tanky and has good clear speed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

I had my first exalted orb drop last night!

I have no use for it. Most likely I'll end up getting something stupid and useless with it.

Keep it. It'll be worth more as the league goes onward.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

They need to allow numbers in names so I can play a Templar named PraiseAllah420

I have BigFartsFourTwenty, I can assure you that the lack of numbers does not make the name any less funny.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Summon your golems on CWDT.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

soscannonballs posted:

So is Mjolner not that good anymore? I've gotten pretty lucky with drops in Talisman so I was considering looking into one of the cool looking "poo poo everywhere" builds and Mjolner is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

The hammer is the cheapest part of a mjolnir build by far.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So this is what I'm currently thinking for my clawbreaker build. Yeah, it goes out to 122 points but that's mostly filler damage at the end, you get all the critical stuff first obviously. Start as Ranger (though Shadow also works) and focus on dodge/evasion and claw/crit stuff. Single would be frenzy/FA/melee phys/poison. Group would be whatever, probably cyclone. I'm going to run with Darkrays and a Hyrri's Ire, so I should have 64% dodge. 125% extra defenses from shields tossed on with a really high evasion shield and I should, in theory, be mostly okay. 170%-ish life for when I am not okay. Resist nodes are in there because of all the uniques.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've been playing since closed beta and the number of times I've had connection issues like that can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So here's a random mechanics question regarding Discharge:

Discharge is tagged as Fire, Cold, and Lightning. Does that mean that if I had a jewel that gave +crit chance/multi to say, cold spells, it would work with my power charge discharge - which is lightning?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got a 6L Astral Plate for my Blast Rain duder, which is my first "real" 6L, across countless level 70+ characters. It improved my DPS a little, but that's about it.

The only builds I can think of that NEED a 6L are what, Cast on Critical Strike builds? Even then, my Fakener that I am currently playing is doing just fine with a 5L.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I need to multimod my vagan dagger so I'll have to try her.

Edit: what the hell do people tip in these cases

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If they open the door to negative feedback they also let in dickholes starting poo poo over nothing, people feeling like they got ripped off, every idiot who doesnt get things the way they want

I would much rather wade through a mountain of poo poo to reach an informed decision to trust a random player than have an echo chamber that offers as much reliability as a single Yelp review.

I'm trusting a random person, that I have no real way of verifying if they have a master at 8, with my multiple exalt item. An item that I may never replace due to time/cost, that my build that I may have invested several weeks into depends on. You bet your rear end I'm going to do my homework on it if the data is out there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I made a thing. I like my thing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

What spell is that dagger for

Fakener.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ronya posted:

I'm kind of worrying about how they'll nerf fakener because the nerf's likely to impact other coc builds, even those not banking on the insanity that is Blade Vortex + Voll's Protector + Discharge

Make blade vortex only generate a charge based on the oldest blade, rather than each blade. That'll completely nuke charge generation and kill the build dead.

I'll write up a post talking about fakener when I get home in a few hours.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hauki posted:

tbh I'm burning out on my LA voltaxic because its serious glass cannon and while I can do atziri deathless on autopilot because it's the exact same every time, I'm struggling on high tier maps because weird coincidences/sequences of events or mods leave you dead in 0.02 seconds if you're not playing bullet-hell the entire time

That's why I made my blast rain duder a Marauder with all the trimmings. I've got 12k armor and 6 endurance charges - not the tankiest character in existence, true, but I can handle most random poo poo that comes up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have two general rules that I try and follow for myself, and I think they've helped keep the game as fresh as it is for me after all these leagues:

1) Never roll the same thing twice, unless a sufficient amount of changes have been made and/or it's been a really long loving time.

2) Whenever I roll the next character, it's always a different archtype of build. Melee -> Ranged -> Caster -> CoC -> Trapper, etc.

This league I started with ED/Contagion that ended up being a poison Bladefall Shadow. Then I rolled a tanky Marauder Blast Rain guy. Now I'm currently doing CoC. My next character I am thinking of some sort of Iron Will Arc build, or Glacial Hammer / Frost Blades.

The upside is that things are always fresh, or as close to being always fresh as you can reasonably make it. The downside is that some builds turn out to be huge turds, either because they were bad ideas to begin with or because I hate the playstyle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
volls protector drops in a map

hey why not, i'm sitting on a dragon's hoard of jewelers and fuses from my many dried lake runs

80-something jewelers later

oh hey gently caress it i'll try for a 6L and burn my money up

164 fuses later

:stare:

270 chroms later

:catstare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Identify and Portal scrolls are a relic of the past, but Chromatics are a pretty unique part of the game I wouldn't want to see changed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Blast rain with point blank and a Chin Sol (costs like, 1c for any roll or 5c for a perfect roll). You can be a Marauder, Duelist, Templar or Ranger. It's very good.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

There a good build for this? Thinking I might run one, haven't done a bow char this league yet.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...fPd9kj3Mvjr_Es=

This is my Blast Rain duder at 86. I started Marauder.

edit: I use two lioneye's falls, hence the mace/2h nodes.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Poison trapper is officially insane. I got Atziri to 40% with 2600hp, ~65% resistances and no topaz or ruby flasks at level 76. I accidentally enraged vaal and died three times to him because his loving ball lightning would stunfuck me. I inherited the instance so I only got 5 portals total.

• Locked thread