Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just watched RotJ.
-that celebration sequence at the end with the Ewoks goes on for ages. I mean, they have cuts to the fireworks in the sky, other dance circles, some ewok playing stormtrooper helmets like glass drums. Also: Chewy trying to shake everybody's hand.
-the cut to Corasant has people on a roof top partying. Including stormtroopers. I guess the city guard was sick of the imperials as well.
-The space battle is over quite quickly. Admiral Ackbar's crew in his spaceship are adorable. There is one guy who just walks in a circle looking flusted.
-There were moments I wonder if will be echoed in VII. Like, Luke watching the space battle from a distance which looked really cool. And the end scene where the main characters all line up and smile and cheer, like New Hope.

Jolly good film. So anybody cramming a marathon before the release? I'm thinking in order of: V, II, IV, VI, III and lastly I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Why the hell would you do that?
Because I'm interested to see what a suboptimal viewing order will feel like. Plus, Episode 1 holds a special place in my heart as it was the first Star Wars.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Clone wars is so loving bad. I watched Phantom Menace last night and thought it was okay but drat man I'm over an hour in to the clone wars and I forgot how boring it was.

They're just entering the arena. It's gonna get better right?
The arena of DEATH

Just DOSBox Elder Scrolls: Arena instead and gag on your motion sickness while tearing your shirt at the midriff. It's the same effect.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kurzon posted:

I've seen the film and (not spoiling anything here) I was rather disappointed with the soundtrack. There was nothing really new and memorable in the music. Both the OT and the PT had very distinct music that stuck with me long afterwards. There was nothing like that in this latest movie. I had to check IMDB to confirm that John Williams actually scored this movie. It feels like all he did was recycle a few cues from the OT.
The X Wings had a noticable new theme I thoroughly enjoyed but other than that - yeah. Although I just saw it and am gushing over the whole thing oh my god yes everything was what I dreamed it would be + more

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I like what people are saying about how this movie is not Star Wars in the essence of pushing cinematic boundaries and inspiring awe with effects 20 years ahead of time. Instead I feel it possess these qualities:
-heart warming
-clever funny
-scary
-dangerous
-sad.
-*****magical*****

So that's the ingredients of the star wars I watched as a kid. I suppose there is a difference in how we enjoy star wars based on where we first saw it. Fans who were awed by the spec. effects in cinema in the 70s vs. us dirty youngsters who first saw it on VHS at a sleepover in a rumpus room.

EDIT: despoiled it a little. Sorry about that guys.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 16, 2015

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A list of prequel callbacks:
-should have used clones"
-????

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ren.
Rey.
Hey, huh.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

If people find this annoying I'll stop but I totally dig stuff like this:

Attack of the Clones

Lawrence of Arabia

This aspect of Star Wars is dead and buried.
Wew! Thanks. This is a handy website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sources_and_analogues

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I kind of wish TFA had done a similar kind of focus switch. The OT is all about the outskirts, the frontiers, the lawless places. The PT takes place at the (collapsing) center of civilization, refined and wealthy, isolated (with Tattooine as a contrast).

Maybe focus the action on the border areas between the Republic and the New Order?
It does. At least you can pretend it does which is the same thing.
The playing field seems to have Republic planets and watering hole neutral planets.

Rogue One Teaser Trailer Thoughts:
-Little box on legs guy makes two appearances.
-She's wearing Imperial insignia in the last shot. She must be a secret agent.
-The intonation of her criminal record feels like we're in a more refined theatre of conflict.
-I'm digging the Middle East but wet biome.
-Yay!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I know this is a well-intentioned post but come on. In case you need a geography lesson go see how many Middle Eastern countries border the ocean. Here is a picture of the Middle East:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/PikiWiki_Israel_6320_Hadera_forest.JPG
Fair. I was just done watching Lawrence of Arabia.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

1 A New Hope
2 The Empire Strikes Back
3 Phantom Menace
4 The Force Awakens
5 Battle for Endor
6 Return of the Jedi
7 Revenge of the Sith
8 Ewok Adventure
9 Attack of the Clones
10 Holiday Special
11 The Clone Wars

My order. Largely influenced by nostalgia.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

yeah gonna have to say you're wrong unless you passed out during the entire maz kanata sequence
That got me thinking. When is the best time to pee during TFA? And the other movies maybe?

I personally think that maz sequence is a good time. Just after you see all the cool aliens and you should be back for the baddies attack.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Patton? Dunno if he was limping, though. I was personally reminded of the ending of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks fires his pistol at the tank staring him down.
Yeah its a familiar beat. Such a bad rear end beat too. This lady is going to be so cool.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Is anyone else kind of meh on Star Wars? I was really excited for TFA, then it came out and I thought it was a mess, then I started thinking it through and I realised that out of the dozens of books, the movies, and the TV shows I only really like ESB and KOTOR's 1&2.
Star Wars fans don't *twitches* -I'm looking forward to Rogue One!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I enjoyed the review. Excuse my ignorance but does RLM have any association with the SA forums? I feel like they post here or something? Would it be fair to say they've read this thread enough to read SMG's posts?

Anyway, I find myself rewatching TFA but I know all the beats so well there isn't anything I'm learning new. Its too well oiled to have surprises on repeat viewings.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

People only dislike the prequels because they feel envious of children.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

I actually never noticed the little hands on the ship until now.
If you look closely, you can see a ring.

--

My nonironic list of favourite star wars movies is:
3. TFA
2. TPM
1. ESB

I feel I am not alone.............

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A simulation of the Star Wars thread is run for a thousand years.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Do any of the Star Wars movie have extended versions? Like LorT?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like R2D2's prefered viewing order (in his mind) would be fascinating.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?
I'm thinking Shmi's early years (interactions with local characters).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I actually don't get the meme of bashing that poster ok maybe we don't need to dogpile to have an interesting discussion.

Star Wars will never be LotRs because those movies have infinite backstory while Star Wars grows its mythology from set design.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

lmao jesus loving christ, this thread continues to hit new lows when we are now pretending the prequels are better then Lord of the Rings. Stay beautiful you special snowflakes.
The Eye of Star Wars Thread sees you. You will never make it across the plains to throw the ring of sincere posting into Mt. Prequel Debate.

Lucas the White beckons.

The ships are leaving for the EUndying lands to the West.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whether its sincere or not, there is a contingent who defend it ironically. And some others have followed SMG down his rabbit hole, lubricated by smugness, where they have to read way too far into the scripts. It's astrology.

Then again, you did leave a full stop off the last sentence there so who knows how deep we are at this stage .

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

Can you point out which posters are posting ironically? Also, who decides how far is "too far" when reading a script? I'm just curious as to whether or not there is some sort of international convention dealing with movie interpretations or if you're setting yourself up as the final authority.
I will not trawl back through the thread but yeah. I'm pretty sure when people say the prequels were better than the Lord of the Rings films they are either being ironic or trolling. I mean, we're in the realm of subjective taste here so there aren't any final authorities. And I don't think there really is a 'too far' really. I find SMG, Cnuts and other posters deeper analysis of the Star Wars movies super fascinating! It's really intriguing how much you can pry from a scene.

Equeen posted:

Who talks like this
Nice scoff.

Waffles Inc. posted:

So anyone who likes the prequels is either:

- Being ironic
or
- A member of the cult of SMG?

You...you don't really think that do you? Like you don't really think that a whole thread of users are incapable of all liking the prequels and performing deep/interesting readings on their own, do you?

Also at what point has a piece of art been read into "too far"?
No, I just feel there is a certain culture in this thread of pushing the prequels for reasons outside of authentic enjoyment of them. Whether its to provide interesting discussion or simply to irritate the 'prequels suck, originals rule' internet mass. I'm very certain many people genuinely like the prequels. I, for one, was a kid when they came out and thoroughly enjoyed them at the pictures. I have heaps of nostalgia for E1.

I don't mean to be a dick. I really enjoy lurking this thread, especially the new takes on Star Wars I would never have come up with myself.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

Consider me confused then, because you said the opposite here:

Like a half hour ago. So which is it? Are people reading "too far" or does no such thing exist? :confused:
Eh, I was sort of talking about 'too far' as a deep analysis might look to somebody who doesn't get it. Sometimes, this thread isn't very warm or friendly. I think I'll feel more comfortable lurking than posting. Sorry to be an inconvenience.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Star Wars is told by C3PO to the Ewoks right? Ewoks are surrogates.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This reminds me of internet videos 2004.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The budget for Rogue One is $200 million USD.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

In meditation we learn distraction is inevitable, the foundation is returning to one's breath. In the Star Wars thread we learn other topics are possible, we'll always return to prequel quality through posts like "episode 1 was so-so"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK I get what you guys were meaning about Phi. Jeez, that's some 4chan level shitposting you got there.

I went to the midnight release for TFA but deep down knew I was never going to this one. I'll be interesting to see what people cosplay as.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Saw it and loved it. Star Wars.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Now that's what I call a Star War.

I will watch this movie so many times it's going to hurt.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Best costume I saw at the midnight: Guy dressed as Alderaan, followed by a line of green lasers held by ten guys in a row, followed by a guy dressed as the death star all walking down the street.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I reckon Star Wars will start messing with time travel, either in E8 or E9.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Disclosure: I adored it.
It's interesting reading criticism of the movie and thinking hmm yeah I guess that's true. And yet not minding. Perhaps that's the trick, William Potter.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I kind of love how some fans in this forum have strong feelings opposed to this film. It means we're going to keep this eternal fire of a thread alive for many years to come.

I watch ANH the day after R1 and drat did they do well to fit those movies together. The high tension you get at the start of ANH flows seamlessly from R1's climax. It's perfect.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wow opinions on every element of R1 are all over the show. Some are saying Tarken was super realistic, some are saying Leia wasn't. I see it the other way around for sure.

Rewatching Attack of The Clones - I forgot the 'terrorist bomb' explosion at the start. 'I shouldn't have come back.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It seems to be that those who knew Tarken would be CGI were predisposed to disliking it. But not in all cases. Tarken vs Leia is like the new black/gold dress.

• Locked thread