Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder which will have the most films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Does VR exist in the Star Wars universe? The closest I've found is the song routine that the grandad wookie listens to in episode 4.5

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sometimes I feel like Star Wars can be criticized to death. And it extends the fun we can siphon from the films. But its also ok to just ignore all these reasons to hate star wars. the critic is worth nothing. lucas is a beautiful god.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Has anybody else ever played with the idea of committing to watching ALL Star Wars?

It might take a few months but like:
OT
Prequels
Clone Wars TV show + movie
Rebels
New movies
Christmas Special
Ewok movies
Outakes and 'deleted scenes'
I'm thinking to think what else there is. Maybe play through every single Star Wars video game as an encore?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

You mean watching them all in a row and posting about it? Because I'm sure plenty of people have watched All of Star Wars already, I know I have with the exception of the Christmas Special, and I've seen plenty of clips of that.
Oh and Ewoks and Droids (tv shows) too.
Sure. But have plenty of people watched All of Star Wars who post in this thread? I'd be curious if there was anybody. Have you seen all of Droids?
Not being pedantic, I think it'd be an interesting blast of Star Wars. I'm sure you'd come out the other end with a slightly different perspective on it all. Or perhaps not.
also:
Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles
Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales
Lego Star Wars: The Resistance Rises

I'll stop digging but I have no doubt there is probably a lot more Star Wars to watch if you really want to scrape that barrel.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 9, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, I haven't seen the Lego stuff, and I haven't seen Ewoks or Droids since I was a little kid so I couldn't tell you much about it, but...yeah, that's me, for the most part. Not in a row, but over the course of my 33 years alive, sure.

I'm sure a few other people who post in the Star Wars book thread have, too. It's not exactly special.

edit: You probably mean in a row, but this comment made me think you might mean over time.
Yeah to reiterate, ALL Star Wars. Which I would say is special. Most Star Wars fans have only seen most Star Wars.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

galagazombie posted:

We're talking about common colloquial usage though. Sure the words terrorist and terrorism existed before 9/11, but they never held the kind of all encompassing "everything must be compared to it" nature the word has now. The word has become so broad as to become not just useless, but downright harmful to rational debate.

edit: to be fair I'm mostly discussing American usage, for all I know Ireland has a much different history with the word.
Yeah I was going to say maybe you are speaking for America. And even then, surely it's pretty localized to lovely network television. I would be very surprised if the Rebellion wasn't debated to be terrorists in some early 90s stoner flat.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

A reminder that this is said to avoid retaliation for attempting to kill them twice.

And even after this (and a planetary invasion) the Neimodians aren't killed. poo poo, they don't even seem to do any prison time.

The message of The Phantom Menace is not that it rules through fear or intimidation, but that it doesn't rule at all. That it's sluggish and ineffectual, not overbearing and ruthless.
You know I actually adore the prequels for churning up so much dissent in star wars discussions. It'd be so boring if they were unanimously critically acclaimed.
Just thinking about Nute.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^solid post.
Just had a thought, how many years until the OT is remade a la a King Kong? My bet is another fifty years. Another answer would be it has already started in 2015.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Does anybody else feel like copying and pasting every post from each iteration of the SA Star Wars threads into a google doc and then printing it out then binding?

It would be tricky to get rid of the formatting mess but if you put the time into it you could.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

UmOk posted:

Still mad that Rouge One overlooked the death of Manny Bothans.
Bad bait.

So with the news there will be star wars in the 2030s. Do you think they'll tackle a movie in between e1 and e2?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So is anybody else planning to marathon all the films before the new one comes out?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Star Wars
edit: I once went to a star wars movie marathon where some guy sweated it out in a jar jar costume for the entire six movies. screw that.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Good post, I agree.
When the Death Star is suddenly there over Scarif, its like... oh of course! Of course it was going to help out. But the battle does a good job of keeping your attention and you sort of forget about it for the beat. And its so menacing. Just sitting there over the rise. It doesn't have to be anything more.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 10, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Davros1 posted:

"Little does Luke know that the FIRST ORDER has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Starkiller."
Well, they have to defend against radio free yuuzhan vong.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was out for dinner with my relatives tonight. My six year old cousin has discovered Star Wars. He's watched all of them on repeat. I was quizzing him on trivia like Hans reply to "I love you."

Then I asked him about darth plagueis the wise and not only could he recount the tale but he went over a couple fan theories as to what really happened to him. Later, he also mentioned that Snoke might be Mace Windu.

Turns out he's been watching lots of youtube videos on star wars so his knowledge of the mythology is insane. When I was six my knowledge was as far as "the red light saber is the most powerful."

Six. He's six. He knows of the Vong.

Oh, and I asked him about his thoughts on the prequels vs. the OT. He didn't really distinguish them on quality.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am Watto yet Shmi
I am Yoda yet Dexter Jettster
I am podracing yet dodoo.

I am the gray. I am your worst. nightmare. run.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

My favourite part of Star Wars is when fans dressed up as Tusken Raiders for the local midnight of TFA. They did the ohhohh chant as the movie started which was a hit but you could tell after twenty minutes of sweaty nerd air they were finding their full body/face costumes difficult to deal with.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Still waiting for the prequel radio dramas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(radio)
also two years. two years difference gap between RotJ-PM and PM-tLJ.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Not being facetious, on page 1 of this thread I posted a viewing order. I now retract that viewing order in exchange for:
I, II, III, R1, IV, V, VI, VII

I now believe this is the best order. Happy to argue with anybody who disagrees.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Doing my classic rewatch (II, III, V, VI) and I'd agree ^ The space battle at the start. it was like a response to LotRs.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Covok posted:

The EU: good or bad?
Good that it exists. Bad that people read it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I read a rumour that e9 will mention Earth as a place to hide the Jedi. God ugh no.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The prequels are bad because the plot is obvious.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hey guys we're getting a new SW movie in half a year ^-^

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

New viewing order:
Episode I
Episode III
Rogue One
Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VII

Yeah I think that's the best.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm just trying to keep star wars fresh.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

The only acceptable watch order:

A New Hope Despecialized Edition
The Empire Strikes Back Despecialized Edition
Return of the Jedi Despecialized Edition
Star Wars Rogue Squadron Rogue Leader
Star Wars Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy Movie Duels 2 mod
X3: Albion Prelude Star Wars Mod
A true fan.

Another good order is:
Star Wars Radio Dramatization

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

IRL though my first viewing order was:
friend fastforwarding though VHS's of the OT to show me the lightsabre battles.
the rest in cinema.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

Your missing 2 which owns and is very important.
2 is extremely redundant tbh. III shows the power of Anakin way better. As does I.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Rogue One is totally ancillary to the main narrative. It only exists to explain a background element of the plot that doesn't have much true significance to the thematic arc of the saga. Your viewing order leaves jarring gaps in the actual story while adding two hours' worth of what is basically filler.
Hm, fair enough. I'd substitute VI for Rogue One.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was definitely a dweeb yelling internet jokes and printing out Maddox pages in high school. If we can't forgive ourselves how can we forgive each other?
--
Oh! Star Wars thread. Here is my new watching order:
E1
E2
E3
Rogue One
E4
E5
E6
E7
All in a row and sync up the viewing time so as soon as E7 ends on my phone+earphones I'll look up from my cinema seat to see
E8

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Good post apart from

Taintrunner posted:

Oh, and I know someone is going to point out how actually this is a subtle point that perhaps the Republic isn't very good and largely hypocritical but then who caaaaaarrrreeess if this falsely superior Republic falls into the hands of an evil Emperor. Just because something is supposedly intentional doesn't actually make it brilliant or valuable, especially if you have to write your own subtext to justify what isn't actually shown in the film within the rules of cinema.
This isn't actually a subtle point. Its really overt. The Republic was always the Empire. Just look at the way they negotiate their trade deals. There is a subtle subtext written into those giants ships in the opening battle of E3. It's that you need to match covfefe

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Then who cares? Why am I even watching this movie? Why am I invested in anything and why do I care about the characters who are fighting for something that is actually the Empire? You're arguing for the films being actually unwatchable as a subtle political commentary on American imperialism in what is a space fantasy. Wizards and knights with laser swords and poo poo. It's a very simple setting so we can focus on the character drama and the characters are brutally unlikeable.

I mean, this is probably a trollpost and I just took the bait, but this is the Star Wars thread.
Only the last bit was a trollpost but. Yeah, you can still enjoy fighting the empire while acknowledging that the republic was always the empire? Like, surely the fact the central 'good' faction of the series is a band of rogue underdog rebels should give away we're not exactly pining for the restoration of the republic here. Even if that is their 'goal' its obvious they are really for fighting something better. The whole quandary of logistics in TFA also gives this away.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

See! This right here is my problem. It's the smug self-satisfaction that your supposed reading of the film (which is actually closer to fanfiction) makes you smarter than me and the film is actually "doing it's job" by somehow slowly convincing a hardcore anti-militarist leftist who despises liberals like the Obama Administration for idiotic, senseless drone assassinations across multiple nations and the bootlickers that justify poo poo like that and selling arms to Saudi Arabia so they can bomb kids in Yemen. The film doesn't need to "do it's job." It's bad at the thing you're arguing it's supposedly doing. It's a space fantasy series of films with wizards, knights, laser swords, and lightning that horribly hosed up everything after the initial three films because extended franchises with extra material crammed into them over the course of decades are actually a terrible ideal when done with a straight face and not serving the purpose of complete schlock.
Actually the 'supposed reading of the film' in this thread are the actual objective final readings of the films. Look at the reddit threads, Wookie, twitter, youtube theorists (RLM included) and now back at me. Is there a more expansive thread on star wars on the internet? This is the Mariana Trench of internet star wars exploration. And you are tainting my buzz.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The podracer is a pod now that's racing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I genuinely enjoyed the podracing game for N64 and PC. an optimal nostalgia blast of Star Wars for me would be playing it while watching E1 through 3 and TFA.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Actually when I invite my (mixed gender) friends around for popcorn and DVDs its usually:
An ironically bad movie (Clone Wars, Ewok Films, Christmas Special)
A genuinely good movie (e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6, rogue one, e7)

We also have video games going so people can tune out and play hard.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yaws posted:

He's at it again! UmOk, you card! You crack me up :lol:
:thatsthesnoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I remember wishing I was the Jedi with the tall forehead.

• Locked thread