Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

They were in hyperspace for, what, a couple of minutes? That scene is not very long.

It's all of the stuff with "let the Wookie win" and Luke training with the lightsaber, so it's not insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Does anyone know about D-box for this movie, is it fun? Never been to a D-box showing but I noticed that not all the IMAX showings here were sold out today, but all the D-box ones were. D-box costs $2 more and we're in poorsville so I was pretty surprised.

There were some in the theater I saw it in. From what I can tell there's just a shitton of rumble during certain scenes, like when Poe Dameron is in his X-Wing shooting at Stormtroopers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zodack posted:

Let's hope that the new movies pretend what you just said simply doesn't exist

Probably, since a major (if understated) theme of the PT is how the Jedi are super dumb for using stuff like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pigdog posted:

Did we ever learn what was Rey's problem that she couldn't get over leaving her shithole planet?

Basically she thought that if she stayed there long enough the people who dropped her off there would come back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Timeless Appeal posted:

The first two Star Wars movies are almost all chase. Literally the entirety of Star Wars is R2 getting the Death Star plans to the Rebels and blowing the thing up. Once Han and Leia leave Hoth, they are on the run from the empire for like the whole goddamned movie. RotJ is different, but also cathartic in that it's the good guys bringing the fight to the bad guys for once.

ESB has Luke on Dagobah for most of the movie except when he goes to Cloud City.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Didn't Darth Vader do that in Cloud City?

He sort of absorbed it. Kylo did it differently because when he walked away the thing resumed and hit something in the background.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

I will say that it's pretty interesting seeing PT defending posters split between "the film overtly acknowledges the PT and is therefore good" and "the film panders too much to PT-hating fans and makes no sense".

I haven't really seen that at all. If anything I've seen people who hate the PT who are divided between Kylo Ren being a whiny baby on purpose (like Anakin in the PT) or him just being a bad character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

The prequels already had a tough job just in concept: they had to make the tragic transformation of a dumb little kid into the coolest villain of all time (but notably, still a villain and a murderer and stuff) into a rollicking family adventure, and the audience already knows the ending the entire time. Why even bother making it? I think the answer is money.

Money is the reason they got made (i.e., they wouldn't have gotten made if they didn't make money), but probably not the reason Lucas wanted them to get made.

If he was only in it for the cash, he would've made something that called back to the OT excessively and was incredibly safe (like, you know, The Force Awakens). For better or worse, the PT we got was definitely his vision which disregarded the critical reception.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Icon-Cat posted:

Can someone explain to me the following argument? It goes something like this: "JJ Abrams had to retread the OT and do a soft reboot because so many people were disappointed in the prequels. The next movies can be more original / creative."

Why is this the case?

What if TFA hadn't done any of that stuff, but _still had been_ a sequel to ROTJ that prequel detractors considered to have good acting, good dialogue, good visuals even without making frequent callbacks to the OT? Would that have been a franchise-ending disappointment? "Well, I liked the new characters and the fights were good, but it didn't have a Death Star and none of the BB-8 plot reminded me of ANH. gently caress JJ, gently caress Disney!"

Disney retread the OT because that's what fans wanted and Disney is incredibly conservative. There's actually no reason why they will be more original in the future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I"m not saying reasons weren't explicitly presented, what I'm saying is that I have no context for them. Anakin's motivations were completely opaque, none of his reactions to the events in the story created a consistent basis for character. I know he turned to the dark side because a bunch of poo poo happened in the story. I have no idea who he was, who he turned into or why.

Oh, so you didn't watch the movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

In the prequels, his entire character motivation is driven by a forbidden romance sideplot that just does not work for a long list of reasons. It's weak sauce. We needed a reason to root for him, a reason to be able to sympathize with him. We never got that.

The reason is that he doesn't want to see his wife/family die (I think she revealed she was pregnant to him by then), which most people can sympathize about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Poldarn posted:

During the first Death Star battle, when Vader shows up and shoots down some people the shots inside his cockpit always look like he's adjusting something on his joystick. Does anyone know what that is?

He's adjusting the target I think.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spatula City posted:

Is it possible to dislike the film, while appreciating both Rey and Kylo Ren, and having no problems with either their characters, or the acting?

Sure. I don't really like this film but it's mainly because the first half has almost no time to breathe and the second half is dominated by a dumb "destroy the Death Star, again" plot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I have one theory as to Rey's parentage other than the obvious one foreshadowed by the movie:

So what we know is that Luke trained a bunch of Jedi, one of them (Kylo) fell, and either killed or turned the others. This forced Luke into hiding. The timeline's not really right for Rey to be one of those apprentices, but consider this:

-Luke takes apprentices of all ages (makes sense, since he only became a Jedi when he was like 20)

- One of these apprentices has a child (again, not too controversial since Luke's not all about rejecting family relations)

- Then when Kylo does his thing, this child gets spirited away

While this wouldn't make Rey his literal daughter, thematically she definitely fits the same mold (just like how Obi-Wan was thematically Luke's father in ANH).

The only issue I have is that I don't know each character's exact ages.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TG-Chrono posted:

Hey where da Asians at?

Has the actors from one of the biggest Indonesian films ever in The Raid.

One of which is in a Stormtrooper outfit and the rest of which are on screen for like 5 minutes total.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure how you could have come to this conclusion. Phantom Menace has no fewer than four plot lines intercut in its finale, and Clones follows two lines like Empire. Both visit more than the standard three locations per OT movie.

Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant, ???

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phylodox posted:

Man, I remember back when The Phantom Menace was about to come out and everyone was jazzed about Star Wars again and nerds loving loved it. Finally, something they liked was popular! What happened?

Pretty much the same thing that happened with video games: fans want the prestige of being popular while also keeping it to themselves. Once that stuff actually became popular, there was Chicken Little-ing about how companies wouldn't keep pandering to them, the loyal fans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tetrapyloctomy posted:

$200M. gently caress knows how much in marketing, though.

It's highly likely that most of the promotional tie ins were paid to Disney.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punchymcpunch posted:

There's nothing incestuous about a sequel cannibalizing its own franchise, that's just what sequels are and how they work.

Not really, no. Many sequels are more focused on elaborating on their characters' characteristics. For example, in the Rocky series only Rocky II really cannibalizes from its predecessor(s)*, and that's the one people feel is the most pointless.

*Rocky Balboa does follow a lot of the same plot as the original, but the context is changed from "nobody fighting hopelessly" to "old champ trying to show he's still got it". The equivalent for Episode 7 would be if Luke Skywalker went and destroyed the new Death Star himself.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 27, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's a President Actor I could sit down and have a beer with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rockopete posted:

CGI is not quality if you can recognize it as CGI. The whole point is to be seamless.

If the whole point of movies is to be seamless with reality, then movies would be a lot more boring.

Also this comment is pretty funny in light of the fact that Lucas specifically designed his PT sets so that the CGI would be seamless with them. And it works, because everyone thinks that it's all CGI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

This is not a good thing.

It's seamless CGI, seems like it should be the textbook definition of good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What the hell is "Daddy's Home" and why did it gross $38 million?

Will Ferrel comedy, sorta looks like Stepbrothers but it's between a husband and his wife's ex husband (and father to the husband's step children).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

I didnt like Chewbacca personally assisting Yoda, one of the greatest jedi masters ever, fight in the giant jedi battles of the clone wars, because it undermines Han Solo's disbelief in the force in the OT. His 1st mate and only friend literally fought right next to a super jedi.

I must now assume that Han does not actually understand Chewie because then it makes more sense to me

Han: Pfft Jedi? the force? aint nothin like a good blaster at your side
Chewie: Rarrarahrahrararar hrarr (actually the force is real and i once helped Yoda, a jedi master, escape from the destruction of the Jedi)
Han: Yea we do gotta work on those power couplings, buddy

Then again, if you heard that your friend fought along side a 3 foot tall green man that does backflips with a laser sword, you would think he's loving with you as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only difference as far as I can tell is that Amidala looks a little better. It still has ~~politics~~ in the form of tax bills.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

The movie does tell you where the First Order comes from, though. It exists because of Jakku. People are poor and desperate, and the Republic doesn't care or do anything.

The Republic doesn't really exist in any form outside of a 2 minute window. Some of this is due to cut content, but as far as we're concerned there's the Resistance and the not-Empire. Contrast this with TPM, when you have the avatars of the Republic descend upon Tatooine, and they explicitly contrast the life they know from the one on the desert world (eg, expecting Republic Credits to work, being surprised that Slavery still exists, etc).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Actually, rewatching it there's not that much jumping from point A to point B, at least relative to the other films. You get your one scene in Hyperspace (when they see the map for the first time), and then it's just forest planet -> Resistance Base, more or less.

It's a little weird because Starkiller Base isn't next to the Rebels like the original Death Star was, but that's really the only thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

Except for the opening crawl, which establishes the relationship as the Republic creating the Resistance. Now, we can disregard it, but we can also disregard everything else in the film too.

The opening crawl is the following:

quote:

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….

Nothing about the Republic creating the Resistance, just them supporting it (and Leia).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

In the original treatment by Lucas Rey was 12 years old and Finn was aged up to around 30 and their relationship was far more romantic.

I know they look alike, but you're confusing Lucas and GRRM.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

They used a lot of practical sets and miniatures in the prequels that ended up looking like poo poo CGI as well as actual poo poo CGI.

This is why you can easily replace "CGI" with "Thing I don't like".

It's a state of mind, not a state of being.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Well you can replace it with "bad SFX and scenery" because that's what it is.

The only demonstrable way it's bad is because you don't like it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

If the prequels were made today, they'd look better and more cohesive but they'd still be criticized for the stylistic choice of making everything rounded and shiny, because to a lot of people that just isn't Star Wars. None of this has anything to do with the actual craft of the work that was done on the prequels though.

Ironically, JJTrek is probably the closest to that exact aesthetic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Correct, I don't like bad compositing and things that don't look like they're actually present or have any weight, and unconvincing alien CGI.

By definition, it's not compositing if you're actually standing next to the item.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

The Shining is bad because Shelley Duvall wasn't actually delivering it that way on purpose, she was genuinely upset and tired because she'd been made to do 117 takes. This difference is utterly important to me, a massive baby who doesn't understand cinema.

Don't forget Die Hard being bad because they didn't tell Alan Rickman they were letting him go early.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

There's almost no scene in the PT that isn't some combination of practical and CGI dude. Even something as simple as loving up the lighting in post can render the scene looking really strange, even with the actor standing right on the set! Btw, none of this a problem when the combination is convincing.

So I guess CGI now encompasses lighting as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

The only SW movie that resonates without knowledge of the previous films is ANH. All the rest rely on you having knowledge of the past movies/characters.

TPM didn't really require you to know the previous movies. Knowing (for example) who Palpatine was makes his scenes resonate more, but you can say the same thing about Vader's scenes in ANH (especially when he's fighting Luke in the trench run).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

I can't imagine anyone caring much about the characters in TPM without knowing who Anakin and Obi-Wan are and what eventually happens between the two. YMMV

Two space wizards go on an adventure and pick up a kid who's great at Space-F1. What's not to like?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit: and the blatant, shuck and jive racism

We don't serve their kind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

At this point I'm very certain PT defenders are doing more harm than good to their favored films.

Oh no, people on the internet won't like the PT. This surely isn't the status quo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

No? Most of these conversations in this thread start because someone brings up the prequels as a positive counterpart to the new film . This particular one started because of that in fact.

Oh, so the issue is that someone mentions the PT in a positive light, not that people are unwilling to accept (any part of) the PT in a positive light.

• Locked thread