Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

ATP_Power posted:

I've been going through a rewatch of the whole series in episode order, and Cnut and SMG's postings in the old thread have made those movies way more interesting than I remembered. I'd forgotten how often the droids in those films scream when they die.

Another thing that struck me in TPM is the scene where Anakin is packing up and is talking to C3P0 about how he wasn't going to be able to finish him, and would try to make sure his mom wouldn't sell him. When the scene looks at C3P0 it's a normal shot, but when the camera is on Anakin (the recently freed slave) talking about how he'll make sure his mom doesn't sell 3P0, it's shot from what looks like 3P0's first person perspective. Is that one of the only times we have a first person shot in any of the Star Wars films? It really stood out to me.

Mmmmmm I think there's a similar POV shot in Return of the Jedi when Leia is alone in the forest and looking for the thing that rattles Wicked. Might remember it wrong tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

computer parts posted:

In the previous thread, someone posted a Lucas interview where he said verbatim that this line of thinking is why he had Maul cut in half so the audience knows he's dead and gone.

Didn't the Extended Universe (Legends, and thank Zark for that) revive him, making him part-droid or sorting? I think I saw that somewhere, and it sure sounds right up the EU's alley doesn't it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

After 3 minutes on Wookiepedia, I think he's still alive at the time of The Force Awakens in the current canon, unless he died off screen or of natural causes.

That's what I thought. Thanks. Would check myself but Wookiepedia is a real pain to go through on the cellphone.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'd like to think that Williams could make kazoos work as a menacing instrument if he wanted to.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

My favourite podracer was always Gasgano.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Anyone saw the cinemasins video on IV? Kevin Smith made a guest-appearance and he totally killed the video. As in "totally demolished the fast pace and the good jokes with long tirades of unfunny sexual innuendos".

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

weekly font posted:

gently caress CinemaSins, gently caress Kevin Smith. Hth

Cinemasins are mostly pretty drat funny in my opinion. Kevin Smith? Not so much....

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

For the record, I have never once implied that I find the methods of cinemasins to be a good standard of movie-analysis. I think it's pretty fun to see what they can find to riff on, even if it often is nitpicking-theory, dependent on the movie.

It's also a good platform to get the rundown on the horribleness of certain movies without paying to actually see them. I got the major beats from the Transformers series from CS.

And no I don't pirate movies. Even the bad ones.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

Star Wars is for kids, though. And so are superheroes.

Large chunk of the audience is well into their teens if not downright adult.

Don't matter who it's for. Disney know who will watch it, and know that the Disneything might scare off parts of that demographic so the less space they take up outwards the better for them.

Disney isn't run by idiots. They read that "Marketing for dummies" book.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Great movie. Great cast. Okay music.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Soundtrack is on Spotify now. And there's no spoilers in the titles this time around.

Seen it twice now. Great time was had. There's something truly magical about seeing that iconic intro on a big cinema screen. Also the shot of the Star Destroyer covering the planet/moon is incredible.

This movie LOOKS amazing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Phylodox posted:

Looked kind of like a refurbished one of these guys.

I got the impression that it was really tiny though?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Them X-Wings are so goddamn sexy.

I can't wait till we see some footage from Rogue One. Shouldn't be too long now....right?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Seeing them Star Destroyers being dwarfed by the Death Star gets me every time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

hhhat posted:

That shot of the Death Star is pretty loving awesome

I think the laser moves into position a bit too quickly for my liking. But might be sped up for the trailer.

Looks pretty dope, regardless.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That's a good Mon Mothma lookalike they got as well.

I'm excited. I liked what Edwards did with Godzilla, he managed to give the movie a certain look and feel I don't think one would expect from a very controlled and run-by-commitee franchise, so I think this movie will at the very least be interesting, and more than likely quite good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonz posted:

That Grand Admiral getup with the white cape is sick as gently caress.

Who is the actor? That's not Mads, is it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

hhhat posted:

drat feminists are ruining my star war

Dagnabbit them Mary Sues and their "women can be part of the galactic rebellion" bullhockey.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Looke posted:

It's Ben Mendelsohn I think,

I thought the admiral looked a lot like one of the antagonists in The Dark Knight Rises, and he has a casting credit for Rogue One

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0578853/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t11

You're probably right. He looks pretty drat slick, that's for sure.

And yes, ofcourse we'll get Mary Sue complaining all over the place, as usual. There's a woman at the forefront of a movie that is part of the biggest entertainment franchise in the world. Neckbeards will have a fit.

And I will have a proper good laugh about it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

My only misgiving is a seeming lack of a star war.
Beach Wars Rogue One?

I feel that Star Wars by now has little bearing on the actual plotlines of the movies and more with the backdrop.

The basis of the whole thing is after all the Galactic Civil War, so there's your Star War.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

euphronius posted:

Also is that our first tropical island set.

I'm curious if they'll do like VII, and bring in some entirely new planets, or if they'll namedrop some old ones.

We haven't seen the Kuat Drive Yards in a movie, I think?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He's just as charming and awesome as I'd wish him to be.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This is me, waiting for the subway everyday. Totally how I look like.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The image on the display behind him is similar to, if not the same as, one of the images on the targeting or tactical display in ANH.

I find it very reassuring that they don't forget the primtive computing visuals of the OT and just stuff these new films with hologram computer screens a la Prometheus.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He Gonked for our sins.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sith Happens posted:

Isn't there only one person the Royal Guard would be around for?

Could it... could it be... ?!?!!!

:neckbeard:

I think the figure is a bit to spry and quick for any of the two, tbh.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sith Happens posted:

I don't mean the person walking in, I mean who is already in the room.

I'd love to see it, buddy. I just don't think we will.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sith Happens posted:

But... but... everything was proceeding as I have foreseen.

:smith:

Search the IMDB cast listings, you know it to be true!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Doesn't it look like the hooded figure is appearing in front of someone between the guards? He's obscuring whoever the guards are there for.

efb

It's perfectly reasonable to think that. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just a bit catious as to what I actually expect.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I would also like to point attention to the fact that while the movie is said to be more "gritty" than Star Wars usually is, you can actually SEE things happening, and the worlds aren't devoid of color.

Zack Snyder must be utterly confused.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I think one can make the argument that they're playing it very safe so far, just like TFA did.

I rather liked TFA alot though, so I don't really see this as a problem.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I have aproximately zero issues with this movie if it happens to be Beschdel-test approved. gently caress me amirite?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I guess one could ask oneself:

If the test didn't exist, and there was no mention of said circumstances in the trailer, would you still find the trailer obnoxious?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

teagone posted:

Zack Snyder would make a bad Star Wars movie. And I'd go see it.

#fixedthatforyouetc

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I see what you did there. (And I love it).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The many tears shed over the non-existance of the Extended Universe has brought me many moments of joy in my otherwise joyless life.

The moment I realized that Clone-Palpatine was non-canon, I forgave Disney for everything they've ever done ever.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

If we are to only go with the movies, Bothans may just be a Rebel callsign for their Special Forces. Might not be a race at all.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

homullus posted:

Seriously, every time I turn around, the gender representing over half the population gets closer and closer to being 10% of the strong roles. Somebody needs to start showing some restraint.

I copied this and posted it on my Facebook and I ain't even sorry. Well done.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

korusan posted:

or he gets blown up

Holy poo poo, is this Biggs? That could be the best thing that ever bested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Serf posted:

Technically Starkiller is the best Death Star since it actually brings death to a star. None of the others managed to do that.

None of the other did actually try tho!

• Locked thread