Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doronin posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if they maybe fire off a shot at a fraction of the power just to make sure it works, while wiping out a backwater capitol. Although I really hope the Death Star doesn't do anything at all.

But I agree with you, I sincerely doubt they'll minimize the weight of Alderaan by retconning it to be a second full target.

The Death Star is the ultimate Chekov's Gun, you can't not use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

Can someone seriously explain to me why Star Wars fans seem so obsessed with playing as the bad guys? Or why so many Americans seem unironically to like comparing the Death Star attack to 9/11?

e: maybe I already asked, but it's like, really disturbing to me as an American to see so many SW fans who seem to identify with the evil faceless hordes - though I guess it shouldn't be that surprising when Trump is managing to keep the presidential race competitive.

As for the latter, the government of the USA is evil. There, I said it. The "evil faceless hordes" are the unelected, unaccountable bureaucracy. Trump is succeeding as much as he is because enough people are realizing this and believe that he will do as he says and disrupt the system.

As for the former, a lot of people secretly like the power fantasy of fascism, especially of the anonymous variety where you get the freedom to let loose when hiding behind stormtrooper masks and "just take orders" with no responsibility to answer for it. For most people it is just that: a fantasy, a role play. Usually. History has shown that's exploitable, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

But I really really really want Rey to symbolically

Who are you, and what have you done with jivjov?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

^transgender, not transgendered.

I have broadened and expanded my mind by watching a bunch more movies (currently on hiatus because I am sometimes a lazy sack of poo poo.

I had always just sort of slid my eyes over that thread without really noticing it, but good for you. I haven't seen a lot of Kurosawa, but I'll be curious to see the Miyazaki reviews, so thanks for what I hope will be an interesting read.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vader literally says he'll deal with them himself, why is this even a question.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Red posted:

Until Vader stepped in to ask about the shuttle, Piett didn't give them a second thought.

The sequence of events makes your question moot, is what I'm saying. He hadn't even cleared them to land yet by the time Vader intervenes, so of course after that he lets Vader do whatever he's doing, and stays well clear of it. Wouldn't you? I mean your explicitly evil boss tells you "don't worry about it, this is my business" and you're going to keep tabs on it and report it along anyway? Hell no.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No need for the redundancy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Corek posted:

Let's check in with how the RLM fanbase is reacting

Fix your Cleartype, jeez.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Red posted:

Are there? I've read conflicting stuff about R5-D4, and I think I understand IG-88 to be part of a weird hivemind thing.

I also don't count Grievous as a droid.

Other bordline droids (EV-9D9, for example) are following programming, even if that programming is just perverse.

I know this is the internet but I have a hard time believing someone would see a character like EV-9D9 and find it simpler to believe that she was, for some inexplicable reason, programmed to torture other droids, rather than that she is merely a cruel person.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

I won't defend the prequels as perfect movies or anything, although I do think they're quite good. The sheer level of vitriol thrown at them (or in some cases, the people who like them) frankly astonishes me, however.

It's analogous to a peacock displaying his feathers as a show of status. You aren't backing down?? I must display harder and become aggressive! What, you still say you like them? That's not fair, you're not playing by the rules!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

In its original context, the word "barbarian" is literally a disparaging catch-all for members of cultures considered inferior by the speaker. The etymology of the term is onomatopoetic - "bar, bar" is mimicking the sounds sheep make. The idea is that it refers to people whose civilization is so crude that even their language is closer to that of animals than that of people.

Its use denotes the speaker as openly chauvinistic and belonging to a culture that regards such chauvinism as appropriate. Like, it is the racist term.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a slur, however.

So, I've always been mistaken when thinking it referred to cultures where men habitually keep unshaven beards. I learned something tonight!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Filthy Casual posted:

Look, man, its either nerf or nothing.

Once you go nerf, you never go... klurf?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

If you like or don't like a movie, your feelings are not wrong. If you try to correlate your opinion with a metric of quality, however, your argument can definitely be wrong.

This is where a lot of prequel haters stumble I think. I enjoy watching the prequels, but much less than the OT for sure, and some parts I really dislike. But they are great to talk about, with a lot of depth that I was only vaguely aware of before reading the threads here in CineD. And while I have gotten food for thought, that doesn't make the visceral experience of watching them all that different to me. There's a lot of things in the prequels that I would've rather been done differently.

Well, ok, so what. I'm here to read and have discussion about cinema, not people's feelings about cinema or counterfactuals. "I don't like them" isn't really conducive to discussion, and can in fact be independent of reading and analysis of the films.

Also, Tezzor, The Fifth Element? You're kidding me with this one, because that has everything you hate about the prequels except being literally Star Wars or a prequel.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

"if you squint your eyes and tilt your head a bit you can almost draw a correlation between The Frog Prince and The Phantom Menace. Therefore the prequels are good"

Don't let feeble minds dictate your opinion turn left hillary. Your initial feelings about the prequels were correct.

My initial feelings about them were that they are enjoyable Star Wars movies, just with some things I didn't like. Those things never amounted to more than a small percentage of the total run time of the movies; I've always been on board with the prequels. So thanks for the affirmation!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Pretty sure you should have used "Llucas "

Luucas

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Oh man you could just shoot them the whole time? If only the team on Hoth had known.

I'm sure there's some in-universe explanation. Luke says the armor is too strong for blasters in ESB, so either the ones on Hoth are up-armored, or the speeders' blasters are weaker than presumably turbolasers or something being used on these ones.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That TFA is defined in part by an underlying reluctance to engage in this kind of sincerity is one of its biggest problems, imo.

This is a common problem. People take issue with the quippiness of the Marvel movies, although I think it fits the comic book thing pretty well (granted, not being a big actual comic book person), but nothing is really sincere anymore.

I mean I don't mind quips, sometimes plenty of them, but it goes deeper than that. Maybe I am just too old but I don't think you could make something like Star Wars or Babylon 5 or classic Doctor Who anymore. Even with Star Trek it's been poking holes in its own premise since at least DS9, which is fine if you want to do it and it's a good show, but that's all anything is anymore.

Hopefully I'm just a stick in the mud and ignorant of anything outside my own bubble and a bunch of people will prove me wrong with a dozen examples.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I remember everyone having the same reaction to the title Attack of the Clones. I'm beginning to think Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars titles.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

In the Spoiler-O-Rama thread, some dude in Europe attended a special fan screening and spoiled all the Vader scenes and the ending.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I don't want to know any more than this: oh my god good, or oh my god bad?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, people don't like Hondo? He was the best original character to come out of Clone Wars.

It took me an appearance or two to warm up to him; I didn't like him at first. But after he shows up a couple more times I totally agree with this.

Also to connect the dots on a couple of observations people have already made, SMG pointed out that all of the characters are minor characters, and someone else noticed the only real uses of Williams' themes in the score are when the previously known (and "important") characters like Bail Organa and Darth Vader stroll onto the screen, like they're carrying the main episode movies around with them and invading the minor characters' show for a few moments. Nice touch.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I don't know about Anakin love scenes, but the battle droids are frequently almost as funny as Hondo, and their voices are pitch perfect. My seven-year-old niece does the thing where she talks into a fan to sound like, not just any robot, but specifically the battle droids.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I had this thought too, but I recognized them as sweet 70s staches.

In fact, I loved the gradual shift the prequels had to the 70s haircuts of ANH. A nice, understated touch.

Say what you will about his performance, but they did a great job with Hayden in Revenge of the Sith making him look like someone who could be Mark Hamill's father.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh he got played alright.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Obi-Wan would fit right into this thread. He doesn't think of droids as people; he thinks of them as appliances, or tools. They're interchangeable and inconsequential to him and, even if he did recognize them, it would only be as a matter of curiosity.

Either that or he doesn't want Luke asking too many uncomfortable questions when he's not ready to provide the answers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lock, Stock, and Two Snoking Barrels

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No... there is another.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones has no redeeming qualities.

The title alone is great. But even discounting all the technical and symbolic things we could discuss, on a surface, visceral level there's still plenty to enjoy.

Obi-Wan diving out a window and the ensuing chase sequence through the city.

The asteroid dogfight.

Obi-Wan fighting Jango on the platform on Kamino.

The entire battle sequence on Geonosis starting with the attempted executions in the arena.

Mace Windu dunking on Jango.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Children are blessed with many good options for entertainment media.

There's also different levels of children's media. My 4-year-old is the prime audience for MLP; Clone Wars is more aimed at preteens and young teens - the same demographic the Star Wars movies are aimed at. It's ok for adults to enjoy them both, on some level. If you can't be 12 again watching Star Wars then your life must be very poor.

The problem comes when you live there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zeris posted:

The Fifth Element

Are you quoting Tezzor, because he said he liked that too. But come on, Fifth Element? Have you watched that in the last 15 years? It has everything people claim to hate about the prequels, it's just not Star Wars so it gets a pass.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't mind Fifth Element, it's fun in its own way, but in general I want my fantasy space adventures to be a little more in earnest. I see what you're saying, but I'd probably rather watch Attack of the Clones 4 out of 5 times over that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

UmOk posted:

I want a special edition of the complete saga with music as the only audio.

I tried doing this once, for Phantom Menace, about 12 years ago. I have the 2-disc complete score and I also borrowed other John Williams music to fill in where there are gaps with no score in the film.

My goal was to make a mock "original" black-and-white silent picture, like it was a long-lost print of an unreleased film from that era that Lucas uncovered and then tried to pass off as his own by colorizing and dubbing it. I was even going to change the frame rate of the CGI to make it look more like stop-motion animation.

It morphed into a regular fan edit by the end, though. I found I was too wordy in my intertitles and I also wanted to cut some stuff I didn't like visually. I've always sort of wanted to revisit it, just never had the time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of the first lines in Phantom Menace is the Trade Federation toady saying, "This plan of yours has failed, Lord Sidious!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peak Jar Jar is in the Clone Wars episode where they crash land and get surrounded by enemy tanks. The clone commander sends him out to negotiate, knowing full well what will happen: utter chaos and the chance to survive.

That was the moment Jar Jar ducked under the shark and became good to me. In the cartoon at least, he just works.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Roth posted:

I recall a scene where blue-skin horn man leads Jar Jar on with something like, "If only SOMEBODY would step forward and get the ball rolling" and Jar Jar looks like he's contemplating doing just that before he does exactly that.

Palpatine asks who would have the courage to propose such a radical amendment, and then the other guy puts the icing on the cake: "If only Senator Amidala were here...."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Watto's writing was really off during it too, he greets him like they're old friends and had great times together and stuff. I mean that's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch from this kid that's sad everyone is such a greedy jerk and is angry that if he walks more than a mile away from the place he explodes. Watto deserved to die just for being such an idiot.

He also sees Anakin's lightsaber and he's clearly nervous about Anakin seeking revenge; he's walking on eggshells trying to placate him. He's almost obsequious in his deference.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The MSJ posted:

JJ Abrams says

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

"This will begin to make sense, right?"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it's almost like they thought about it or something.

Whoa, let's not get too carried away in the Star Wars thread.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mods please namechange 'jivjov' to 'jivjov LEGENDS'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Raxivace posted:

Han Solo is dead.

Long live Han Solo.

• Locked thread