Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm watching the anime right now and I've got like ten episodes left but I'm gonna go ahead and say I liked the Chimera Ant arc more than Greed Island but it went on for too long. I honestly had just remarked to myself during the episode right before Meruem kicks it that they're gonna be fighting this motherfucker for 20 more episodes

I liked Kurapika's mafia bullshit arc the most

e: I also could not believe the King was literally Cell. he's just Cell, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just finished the anime and I am very proud of all of my sons

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I came away from that really disliking the Chairman, especially after the flashback that made him seem like a huge jerk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

That's the intended effect. He IS a huge jerk. Very very few characters in HxH are wholly good people.

it was very cool that you really begin to empathize with Meruem even though he's an actual monster who intends to eat humanity

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

In what way did he seem like a jerk?

he loving relishes coming back to the dojo after his ten years of punching and creaming some dude. it's a big tonal shift after setting him up as this monk who has come to some kind of enlightenment after this very long time in solitude. it hammers home that he's into the Hunter Association because it's fun, not because it's a very important organization in a world where things like Chimera Ants come to be

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kurapika has been my favorite character since the mafia arc because he's taking this superpower poo poo seriously

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd completely forgotten the Spiders were on board and I can't wait for this mess to blow up

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'd be pretty sick if Hisoka shows up and whoever he's fighting as an idea of what to expect from him and he just completely subverts it because he found that his hatsus weren't working as well as they used to so he figured out new ones that match his current talent

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I forgot that's what their big dumb ship looks like

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Does Kurapika know or consider them part is more important imo with how Nen very much seems to work off the users own perception of things. a

I've expected since I was first watching the anime that Kurapika will one day get in trouble because he used his chain on someone who he thought was a Spider, and then turned out not to be

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

I mean with how it seems to entirely work off your own mindset he'd probably be entirely fine if he never found out they weren't a member. Unless Nen js actually some omnipotent force that knows and does all independently which doesn't seem to be the case.

wasn't the deal that he couldn't use his chain on a non-Spider on penalty of death? or would it just not work? I could be misremembering

I assumed it's like a curse he places on himself as a condition of using it and it'd activate if he found out he used it on a non-Spider

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he can use some of his chains on spiders only. others he can use freely.

oh, sorry, I'm talking specifically about the one that loving murders them

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would love it if once the succession war gets buck and engulfs the whole boat like you know it's gonna, it turns out Gon is just kinda there on the ship hanging out with the riffraff

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gyro probably isn't as strong as any of the Royal Guards ...... sounds like a good challenge for a dude who is regaining his Nen................

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

New chapter 'spoilers'

Togashi musing: "Should I continue one of the multiple subplots, or should I make a new one with new characters and new powers??"
Togashi: *grins*

son of a bitch

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Who wouldn't like Pariston??

I'm super curious as to what Ging's hatsu is. I hope it's not combat based at all and is some really specfic thing to do with like archaeology restoration.

he's so good at copying other people's hatsus, he just made his own something stupid like with Kite's

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can someone remind me what Ging and Pariston are doing while we've been having murder hijinx at sea?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

There will be no more hiatuses for the foreseeable future!

until the next hiatus

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm rereading Chapters 340 onward while it's up on Viz's website and it strikes me that Ging looks a lot like a Yusuke who grew up

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

continuing to reread and I love the two guards where one is so impressed with the other's cooking ability

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nen abilities are practiced, though, and he knew exactly what his power was and how to use it. I think he was already a Nen user

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how sick would it be for Kurapika to get got by Halkenburg

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if Halkenburg is taking revolution seriously, he may already be aware of Nen just because his older siblings have it and have trained in it himself to bolster his vanguard

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think my problem was I didn't realize princes could ever get in touch their Nen beasts so much as just be passively protected by their effects

we might see some poo poo if dudes keep "awakening" and unlocking their Nen beasts' abilities

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

hows she see the nen beast if you're not suppose to see nen beasts as a prince

it's like Stands that inhabit physical objects in JoJo's-- you can't see them unless that's part of what's important about the ability

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's super been implied Killua's sister's other self has something to do with the Dark Continent, so I can see them becoming involved for that reason

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tunicate posted:

in the volume release it's just straight out said

is it? I just remember the wrung-out dudes they found on the mainland

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

actually it's cool because I want to see what other people who aren't in the know are thinking and panicking about

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kurapika's my favorite character but I would love for it to turn out that for all this very complicated politicking and Nen meta-fighting, Gon's here to completely not get it and gently caress it up for everyone

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

We don't see him training on-screen, but Kalluto (Killua's little brother) was capable enough in Nen to join the Spiders at age 10, and is currently on the whale ship.

that's kind of power creepy but Killua is absolutely good enough to be in the Spider's and it's not as though he's been practicing for that long

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

even as a Hunter x Hunter fan, I have a hard time with that first exam arc in the 2011 anime, never seen the '99 one. it's one of those shows I recommend to people with the caveat of "yeah it doesn't get good until several episodes in"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's the point. half of HxH is about making plain how messed up these shonen tropes are

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

bitmap posted:

watching the remaining chapters count down lads and im starting to think I might not get the closure I want!!

lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

someone post the picture with netero jr

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't remember poo poo any more

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what would be the first nen ability kanye would fashion

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like the mob guy who's just like "wow, the troupe is sick. I gotta get their autographs"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't decided how I feel about the Troupe having good intentions in some way, shape, or form, but I really like the idea that Chrollo has inadvertently created another kid who wants to be the scariest mfer on earth by killing the Kurta clan. who wants to bet it was a Kurta kinsman who killed Sarasa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I mean, magical beasts exist and are implied to have rights and people see the hunters do crazy poo poo all the time, so I imagine that people have a mental category for "stuff we don't know how it works" in the HxH universe.

I've been watching the anime and Youpi is said not to have any human in him, but instead magical beast and it's still rather intelligent