Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Remember: there are two ways to develop nen, One involves time and training like most nen users we've seen. The other is basically the "baptism" like the users Gon and Killua faced in Heavens Arena. it really hasn't ever come up since it was mentioned, but now is as good a place as any for it to be relevant again.

It was literally how how 99% of the ants got Nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just saying the Gon and Killua went a long-rear end time basically with just ten and zetsu. Marginally enhanced physical abilities could be the tipping point for Terridich winning the war.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm talking about him killing his also green brothers. The other bodyguards and nen beasts would obviously be up to his own bodyguards and nen beast.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He needs to have red eyes to activate ET, but does having red eyes means that ET auto activates?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

He got pissed off at one point during his nen training under Izunabi, who noticed his aura increased when his eyes turned red, so most likely yeah.

Emperor Time is just the all nen types equally thing though isn't it? That seems distinct than getting generically stronger.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Pitou was probably (slightly) using Ren.

She was using so much Ren that the trio could feel it from miles and miles away.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't wait to be confused by Mangastream's translations!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In heaven's arena, the announcer (and I guess the audience) treat Nen as martial arts, or maybe magic. I mean, there are magical shapeshifting beasts and such in the world so I guess it's believable.

Then in the battle with wheelchair dude, the announcer explicitly mentions Aura. Oops.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only one I don’t care for is Wolfen because his gets introduced so late it feels weird.

Yes. If it weren't for him and the secretary guy, the invasion would have moved much more briskly (comparatively).

It always felt like all that subplot was tacked on to give Octopus something to do. And he was kind of tacked on to begin with.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

There hasn't been a chapter since August?

https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/

December. Of 2018.

We're creeping up on the record.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

Edit; I was trolled. I am a fool. There is no hope.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nen rules are more of guidelines than actual rules.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Just get Murata to do it.

Can't wait to see how Phoenixman shakes up the succession war.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think that you think that the lucky dice would work like that Harry Potter luck potion, where he automatically chose the optimal choices for a few hours.

I just figured it was more like telekinetically influences roulette wheels to give you the result you desire. There's no reason to believe it would be all powerful off the island.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Hunter Exam is bizarrely paced in the 2011 anime. They speed through a lot of it, including doing Hanzo dirty by cutting the sushi test. But then they also use an half of an episode on them all waiting in a room for some reason? The entirety of that Trick Tower sequence was tortuously slow really.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eej posted:

I mean the part where it gets 3/4 of the main cast characterization totally wrong is a big mark against the 99 version

Death of the author. As long as its good poo poo, who cares?

Also, the movies, which are "canon" to the new series, gets the characterizations so godawfully wrong it's not even funny.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I honestly don't remember it enough to dispute that. Other than Kurapika actually being a girl. That sticks out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Obviously the best way to experience the series is by reading the two decade old scans that were translated from a French (?) translation from Japanese.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Absolutely amazing!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It was weird though since by that point I had already forgotten that Killua running away sometimes was even a plot point.

In Greed Island, he calmly monologues that Bomber guy who wants to kill him is probably better at Nen than him. I feel like that should have ticked all the necessary check marks, because that was a way closer battle than Killua vs Bird-ant.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Killua had analyzed that guy. He noted that the guy had him beat in Aura capacity and that was pretty much it.

It feels like Aura capacity and maliciousness are the main things for the trigger, based on what Wing did to him. Serial killers probably have pretty malicious aura right?

And if it's just confidence of winning, he wouldn't have been able to even try to escape from Machi back in York New. He should have just been a shivering mess like those other times!

I understand what was stated about the needle later on, but I just think that there are too many times that make it really feel that Togashi just thought it up after the fact. No biggie, since that always happens in long running series.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I have it bookmarked to feast on your pain.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If you just finished the York New arc, now is technically time to watch the Phantom Rouge movie.

Oh boy, that movie.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They need to learn that for themselves. Like touching a hot stove.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eej posted:

Chimera Ants still the best arc but this may be due to the fact that it comprises almost half the episodes of the entire 2011 run.

I actually think the exact opposite. It can't possibly be the best arc because of its painfully slow pacing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The best thing the anime did with the Palace Invasion was Netero and Meryum's fight that was in non-consecutive chapters in the manga, and put them in a single episode.

They should have been that bold with the rest of the arc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The payoff to a lot of stuff is great in Chimera Ant, for both new characters and old arcs started all the way back in the Hunter exam, but it might as well been a completely different show for how it was paced; there was no need IMO to spend a full 10 episodes for Kite/Killua/Gon to run towards the hive only to get cut down unceremoniously (which isn't helped by Kite being just this random dude you've only just gotten to know in the anime as opposed to the first Hunter-related thing you see in the manga) and both the King's selection and the palace invasion are almost comical.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it the lowpoint of my watch (that goes to the stretch of rescuing Killua up to the end of Heaven's Arena) but it was far more effort than I normally would have been willing to give a show.

I liked that stretch of episodes when they were going after the queen. It had clear, beat-the-clock stakes and a good speckling of fights. For me the pacing falls apart after that.

First Gon and Killua explicitly aren't allowed to have adventures, and have to train instead. Then Gon gets his Nen sealed so he really, really can't have adventures. Eventually, he and Killua gets to have adventures, but it's in a completely different country that I don't care about yet, but they're still going to tell me too much about that countries politics. Also this isn't even the main adventure, they're just killing time until Selection Day where they can have the real adventure we've been waiting for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It felt egregious to me in the sense of, "...wait why are there 50 more episodes after this?" being a constant thought throughout it that killed a lot of the stakes for me.

Personally, I've never really watched an anime knowing what the main arcs are and how many episodes are in each. Though of course sometimes I know how many episodes there are in total, when watching an already completed series.

So the most confused and disappointed I have been on how a stretch of episodes was paced was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The "Promised Day" began on episode 49 or so and I knew that there were 64 episodes, so my naïve rear end thought that they must beat Father in the next 10 episodes, and there's another 5 episode mini-arc epilogue after that. It never occurred to me that all of that would be one long drawn out sequence, including actual zombies to pad it out even more.

I still can't get over those drat zombies!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Silva mentioned how he's been an old geezer for 3 generations of Zoldyck patriarchs. He got up to 60 years old and then decided to stop aging for the next 60 years or so. So over 110 definitely scans.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's plenty of manga content after GI. GI ends on volume 18 and now we're up to 36 and change.

Battle Olympia shows up again in the Manga, and is also the setting for the second Anime movie, which is terrible.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If he used it on a non-Spider he'd probably die.

More interesting would be if he used it on a former Spider because it would be very Spidery to have one of the people who was most responsible for his action no longer a spider (and thus theoretically immune to his skills if they only work on active Spiders.)

That actually happened in the first movie. The chain worked.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was never really impressed by the reveal that Hisoka was just "pretending" to be a Spider. He knew them. He was even pretty chummy with Machi. Presumably he's been on other missions before Yorknew. I don't really see what the fact that his tattoo wasn't permanent has to do with anything.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just saying that if I swear in as an American citizen, I don't think that "jokes on you I was just pretending" would hold up in a court of law.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Nen is shaped by belief. It's the reason for things like how Shizuku's vacuum can't suck up living things but can suck the blood out of living things, despite blood cells also being alive, and for the restrictions on the powers Chrollo was using during his fight with Hisoka, for some other examples of this. It doesn't care about the legal system or strict dictionary definitions or whatever unless that's what the person is going off of themselves when making their power.

In this case, no one involved in the situation sees Hisoka as "really" being a member of the Troupe (Story-wise, this is mostly important so Chrollo can tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him at the end of the arc, since Kurapika's curse would kill Chrollo if he talked to any actual members. And you can't tell me the story would be better without Hisoka's reaction to what Chrollo had to say to him there.)

Hisoka sees the Troupe as at best toys and at worst distractions or obstacles, he has no interest in what they actually do, and from the start his only reason for joining was to fight Chrollo, so he doesn't think of himself as actually being a Spider.

Kurapika knows all this, and that Hisoka's a newer member who wasn't part of the massacre of his clan, and Hisoka is actually helping him to take down the Troupe, so he doesn't think of Hisoka as a Spider either.

And, heck, after Hisoka's confession and challenge Chrollo doesn't think of him as having ever been a true Spider either, hence him being willing to tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him.

Compare him to a spy or double-agent is infiltrating an organization of some sort, or a cop going undercover in a gang or something; neither the members (if they find out about the true goals), the spy themselves, nor whoever is employing the spy, would likely consider them to "really" be part of that group, even if on paper they're officially a member or whatever, because they were only ever in it in order to work against it.

Yeah, but if you ask a cop if he's a cop, he's obligated to tell you. It's in the constitution.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

Yeah, but if you ask a cop if he's a cop, he's obligated to tell you. It's in the constitution.

edit: shitposting aside. I get what you're saying by Nen is shaped by your belief. If Togashi was trying to write a different story (and Hisoka wasn't so popular), I could imagine the ending of Yorknew involving Kurapika calling out Hisoka for swearing allegiance to the Spiders, maybe mentioning the fact that he killed dozens of mafia enforcers just days ago as a specific example, and Judgement Chaining him right there.

edit edit: or I could just quote myself instead of editing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I meant to add in "under Dancho's orders." I'm sure there are other things he did that explicitly advanced the mission of the Spiders. And I'm saying that end result can matter as much as intent.

I understand that my take isn't what everyone in the story takes it as, but I'm saying that you could probably write a more cynical "helping the Spiders means you're a Spider" Kurapika by changing, like, 10 lines tops.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Reiche posted:

I’m surprised his yo-yos made it almost through the entire Chimera Ant arc

He's going to transfer to another school district and it'll all be about footbagging.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Reiche posted:

A friend of mine bought me a shirt with Hisoka and the word Gon on it for my birthday a few years back. I can't bring myself to wear it and I'm bummed out because he said he decided between that one and Netero's "Heart" shirt which would have been super rad

He made the right choice.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Since this got bumped up, apparently HBO Max has all of the anime dubbed. I have Hulu too, where the dub awkwardly ends in the middle of York New, and the sub awkwardly ends like 3 episodes into the Chimera Ants.

I'm dropping into some of these later episodes, watching some cool moments with voices I've never heard before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

As far as pacing goes, up to right around where you are, the York New auction, the manga was the only version that did it right, in my opinion.

The original anime adaptation added a lot of filler, and even original characters I believe. The second anime adaptation cuts and compresses a lot of content, so when it does take a breath for an episode it feels really out of place.

And no need to switch to the manga. The anime ends at a very natural stopping point and the manga hasn't progressed much further than that point.