Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

(Zen Xtra, 40GB, removeable battery which was awesome)

My freshman year of college (2005) I got one of these new in box at a yard sale for $20. Worked beautifully for years, great sound, reasonable interface. My only complaint was that it didn't act like USB mass storage. You were expected to use some hosed in the head Windows program to transfer music, and I was a Linux guy through and through. Luckily I found a Linux utility to do it; it was half assed but frankly no worse than the loving Windows tool. I still have the player but the screen stopped working at some point; it was set to shuffle all at that point so it's still marginally useful but I don't bother these days.

I also got a free Zune in a contest or something but gave it away to a friend when I failed to sell it on Craigslist (nobody even wanted to pay $30 for it, and it was brand new)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Here is my first digital player, a Sony S2 Sports Walkman.

Great design, great interface, nice and light, was perfect for jogging (which is what I bought it for). So what sank it? loving Sony had to implement a proprietary music format, ATRAC (Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding).

Nope, MP3 was just too popular for them to use. :rolleyes:

Sony can't help but gently caress up their stuff with weird proprietary reinventions of the wheel, it's in their nature. After seeing more old Japanese domestic market computers and some of the things in early Honda vehicles I'm wondering if it's just some sort of strange Japanese corporate/engineering culture thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Buying a copy of RedHat (and the install manual) at CompUSA in 1997

RedHat in the box was like $60 so I went for the $30 massive third-party Redhat book which included a single CD in the back. It didn't have everything the full distribution had, but at the time (early 2000s) I was running Linux on a 486 with a 1GB drive so I didn't have a lot of room/power for additional programs anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

The days when you didn't need a cooler on your video card, and CPU coolers looked like this:

(if they even had a fan!)

My 486/DX 33Mhz didn't even have a heatsink.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Snuffman posted:

Sorry, this was pages ago, but were you the same goon who posted in a similar thread about repairing the old iMacs?

How you had to make sure to discharge the CRT before you could get at something as simple as the motherboard? It kind of blew my mind when I read it. I mean, its so obvious when you think about it just looking at the old iMac, but the fact that the stupid thing could kill you was pretty amazing.

I almost killed myself disassembling an old Mac monitor in my 5th grade classroom. I didn't know about capacitors yet so I figured if it's unplugged, it's safe. Luckily I was poking around with a piece of wire instead of my fingers... The rest of the class was watching a movie so it was dark in the room, at least until the fucker arced. Scared the hell out of me, and of the teacher who probably saw visions of her imminent firing. Luckily nothing ever came from it except my lasting respect for high voltages.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

He was interesting. He also refused to use flat screens because he didn't like the aspect ratio and it was harder to read papers/documents. Instead he had a couple of massive old crts.

Big Trinitron CRTs were pretty fantastic. I had a pair of huge Sun monitors, they were beautifully designed and had a really nice picture. Had to buy 13w3 adapters for them but they were great. Here's a lovely picture (not mine):

(I had that same loving Model M keyboard and the same Logitech 3-button mouse... and actually now that I think about it my brother may have had that PC case, although without the penguin on it. The mouse and keyboard were/are great, I've still got them both somewhere.)

Google Sun GDM-20E20 for more pics.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sinking belle posted:

Come play my lord

Evonyquest

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Some of this is more recent, but there used to be a number of things that let me guess with 90% accuracy if a computer was virus-riddled just by glancing at the desktop. Animated cursor? Viruses. Weatherbug? Viruses. Limewire? Viruses.

You forgot one:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

dablakh0l posted:

One of the best (unexpected) animations in Battle Chess was when the rook captured the queen

Those slow-rear end animations must have gotten old really fast

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Humphreys posted:

And drat I hate the term 'maker' for some reason.

That's because "I'm a maker!" is what the guy in steampunk goggles says while he's 3d printing dog-dick dildos he downloaded from the Internet.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

My family had something like this, but it was a VHS cassette, to clean your VCR obviously. Did they actually do anything useful? Or were they just a gimmick? I remember that our VHS one didn't really do anything noticable, but then again our VCR was old and on its way out at the time.

Did you quote the wrong picture? That looks like an Ethernet transceiver with AUI cable attached.

edit: welp

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Optical drives die on me way more than hard drives. Seems like any optical drive I don't use for a year or two becomes totally useless, just spins up and down over and over.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Right about that same timeframe, my neighbor and I networked our places together so we could play games against each other and also share an Internet connection. (I had a DSL, still fairly rare at the time.)

I made a huge ethernet cable, ran it out the upstairs window, between the buildings like a clothesline, and in his window.

It worked great. Never got struck by lightning or anything.

My roommate and our friend on the other end of the dorm floor used to run a 200 foot CAT-5 cable down the hallway to get extra low pings for games. Our school had a really good network and being on the same floor they were probably only a single switch away anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WebDog posted:

Did someone leak your rejected interface ideas onto the Windows UI team as a cruel prank?

This site is great in listing some of the UI madness that persisted around 2000.

Scroll down to the part about the "Mountain Menus" program, where they criticize the practice of putting toolbar buttons in tabbed groups, and tell me if that reminds you of anything in recent MS Office releases.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColoradoCleric posted:

I divide our generations of children into groups on whether or not they used torrents or mirc for pirating

I divide our generations into people know it's called IRC vs those who think it's called mIRC.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Look at all you TI nerds, real men use this:

Even though I haven't had a need for graphing calculator since my uni days, I still use it emulated on my phone. I always get strange looks from people who can't grasp RPN.

These really are the best, I bought one on eBay for college, and a HP-50 later.

TI-86 was a pretty great calculator for TI, though. It had HP style menus at the bottom of the screen instead of the full screen TI-83 crap.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

This. Laptops are a current fad, and I don't understand people who eagerly buy them without regard for their long-term serviceability.

Ah yes, the well-known but short-lived "laptop" fad of 1990-2016. Consider also the cell phone fad (1995-2016), the automobile fad (1908-2016), and the mass-produced book fad (1440-2016).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My daily work laptop is a 2008 Thinkpad x61. It's what I use at home or on travel; at the office I have a modern desktop. The thinkpad is rock loving solid.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

There's a commercial from a while back that shows the inventor of the USB walking through a room while people cheer and hi-five him in slow mo like a sports star or something. USB did do away with so much pain but I got a little irked when I saw it because of the physical design of the port itself - a connector that can fit both ways. How many times have you had to reverse a cable, particularly on a new machine or piece of hardware or if you're in IT and have to deal with racks and new configurations all the time (haven't worked with hardware in years but still)?

It's a huge improvement but a notch or other obvious indicator or better yet the ability to insert in either orientation would have made it perfect.

USB's also kind of a horrorshow when it comes to implementing OS support for it. You'd think there'd be about 6 drivers you'd ever have to write: mass storage, audio, network, video, keyboard, mouse, serial. Noooope, for some reason individual USB devices need special driver support even though at the end of the day all they do is e.g. push packets out over the loving network.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

calvus posted:

What is that thing?

It's a printing terminal with a built-in modem. You dial the computer using the telephone, then stick the handset in the terminal as shown in the pic. The terminal then prints characters sent by the remote system. Anything you type gets sent over the line.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've lusted after this poster series ever since I saw them in an IBM research department almost a decade ago.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lincoln posted:

from a what

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Basically everyone does, yeah (because of how CRTs work, as someone else explained). Hence why back in the day us Linux-users had to hand-tune our modelines in the X11 config file to up the refresh rate to at least 70Hz or get a headache.

60Hz never seemed to bother me, and I spent hours staring at CRTs that all seemed to max out at 60-65Hz.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Oh man good old US robotics. They made solid rear end modems.

I was a Supra man myself, loved the 2-digit LED display on my 28.8k, plus the excellent on/off switch.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Back in 2008-ish, Pepsi did a promotion of some sort where IIRC you entered codes from bottle caps to get stuff off a list of things on Amazon. Turns out the codes were not totally random or something, and people figured out how to generate them. An IRC friend sent me the link to a generator website and I racked up enough points to get a nice pair of Sennheiser headphones and a bunch of music CDs. Others got hundreds of dollars of poo poo but I heard some got letters later... I stayed less greedy and did OK.

I think I also used some points to enter a drawing for a Zune, which I won and eventually had to give away because I didn't want it and nobody wanted to buy it, even for $30.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Because you have to appeal to market segments.

Social-climbing yuppies won't buy a hooligan 350Z, and street racer kids won't buy a posh G35. But change some badges and interior trimmings and voila, instant doubled market.

Same reason why everybody and I mean EVERYBODY has to make small, medium, and large SUVs, and if you hear they're coming out with another vehicle next year I guarantee it'll be an SUV that fits between the small and the medium or the medium and the large

Excuse me I think you mean "crossover", SUVs are for those other people

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stinky_Pete posted:

I remember when I was a kid, I would see these ads for Internet kiosks, the idea being that you, the homeowner with lots of equity and thus capital to spare (:haw:), can buy a thing that stands up in a mall and people can pay per minute to go on the Internet. I tried to find the ad, but no luck. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

These used to be in airports before smartphones and free wifi got big. Never saw anyone use them... I assume the only money in that business was for the guy selling the kiosks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had some lady trying to order a football team-branded coffee mug from Dick's Sporting Goods and she kept putting in my gmail address over and over... I don't know if she bought the same mug 4 times or just tried to re-send the confirmation that many times. Eventually she gave up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

morbidly obese black albino chick's beaver shots?

Some guys get all the luck...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of mp3s, remember when you could google "Index of:" followed by the name of the song you wanted, and more than likely you'd find somebody's music folder that included the desired song? IIRC Google got wise to that 5-ish years ago, maybe more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Remember when everybody was into those weird programs where you run them and they could dedicate idle cpu processing to trying to prove the existence of alien life somehow? seti@home think

whats the story with that? I recall thinking it was bs when i was first finding out about it as a young internet pioneer circa late 90's.

Not really bullshit, just a hell of a long shot. IIRC it ran out of Berkeley and was one of if not the very first distributed computing applications of its kind. I ran it for a bit, but it was kind of doomed when things like folding@home came out... People would imply that you were literally Hitler because you ran SETI@home instead of folding@home.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I ran Seti@home a lot. Think I started with a Pentium and ended contributing on a Pentium 3. That was also the time where I basically never turned off the computer. Today that'd be an expensive hobby, having a modern higher-end CPU push all it's cores to 100% 24/7. That requires financial dedication.

Eh, 2-3x the dissipated power of a Pentium III on a modern i7 (91W with the latest Skylake). That works out to about 10 hours of operation per kWh, and where I live it's about $0.13/kWh. So, what, $0.30/day to run your processor flat-out?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

radiatinglines posted:

I played so much DOOM, Blake Stone, Heretic, and Hexen on this thing.

If I tried to play an FPS on a joystick now I would probably throw up.

I played a lot of Commander Keen with this:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mechanism Eight posted:

Oh, windows. How quaint
:goonsay:

Not pictured: a working battery

I ran Plan 9 on my iPAQ for a while.

It was actually really nice.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

theultimo posted:

Me in college was dc++

Some people chatted on the DC server but I never used it for anything except :filez:, since we had a perfectly good campus IRC server. The admin works at id now and takes great joy in the hate he receives whenever he makes a slight change to quake live.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Old internet could be so un-user friendly and infuriating. New internet is loads more convenient but there are more idiots on it now. I almost can't comprehend pre-cable internet anymore.

Old Internet was also a lot more friendly to slow connections for obvious reasons. Modern web sites basically just poo poo if you're anything less than 500 kB/s or so, thanks to massive amounts of useless Javascript bullshit and 5MB images scaled down to 300x200.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thathonkey posted:

as somebody who has been working actively in the web development community for over a decade now i've got to say the state of things right now is bad. very bad. i still try to write for performance first and foremost but the incentive is just not there anymore for most people. there was a brief time when mobiles were starting to have internet access that it became priority again to been efficient with bandwidth and requests but that is quickly fading as 3G then 4G/LTE became ubiquitous in the US. i dont have time to write a long post about it now nor is this the thread for it... somebody should start a new topic to discuss all of these stupid modern web/web app trends.

ITT We are modern web designers.

Make it, I'll post in it. Probably something about Twitter Bootstrap to kick it off.

Police Automaton posted:

What I hate most about the current internet though is how bad the signal to noise ratio feels. Back then you had to dig sometimes because the search machines weren't as efficient, today you do because so much stuff is just so irrelevant or doesn't relay much information at all. Somebody learns how to cook soup out of a can without scolding themselves horribly and they'll register thesoupchef.com and create SupperChannel on youtube with 50 40 minute videos where they drone on and on nasally and which have no information content at all for anyone who ever cooked a can of soup. You want to find an interesting recipe for soup with all-fresh ingredients and you have to dig through pages of crap like that. If you get what I mean.

And you finally find a recipe that sounds like it might be ok, but after countrycookingmom.com finishes loading all the ads and you've closed the SUBSCRIBE! thing that popped up, you get to scroll past a 500-word essay about how much her kids love this soup and her DH (Dear Husband) enjoys it after a hard day at the semen mines, and how she tweaked the original recipe by halving the pepper (too spicy!), blah blah blah. Then you finally get to the recipe and it's just a poorly-transcribed basic recipe out of the book you should have consulted in the first place:

(seriously this book has been around since the 1930s, just buy the loving thing, every recipe in there has been tested millions of times by the millions of American mothers who own this book. Your grandmother probably had one)

Edit: Also I propose the thread title "Computer Relics - AOL Lives! [56k no!]"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Germstore posted:

I love that every online recipe has at least one review by someone who "halved the salt" and reviewed it poorly because it was bland.

Halved the salt, replaced the sour cream with cream cheese because I don't have sour cream, replaced the rice with ramen noodles, left out the beans because I hate beans, etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

There was a competitor a few years ago called "Blue Mars" but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

There is a new VR based one call AltSpace that is starting to pick up in popularity, but I don't think it allows for anywhere near as much user created content as Second Life.

There's another effort called High Fidelity that lets you run your own server for your personal areas but it's still super janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Naxuz posted:

There was this whole genre of obscure Finnish multiplayer DOS games back in the mid-1990s. Most of them were 'cave shooters' like AUTS or Wings or V-Wing, in which you flew a V shape ina a cave and tried to murder your friend doing the same thing. It looked like this:

Reminds me of xpilot, which I played a lot on my Linux 486. I also had an old version of Crossfire, a rather fun RPG that lost most of its charm in later versions.