Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

I used to listen to reruns of Phil Hendrie at night on AM radio when I was in high school.

Painbow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

An analog input should just play whatever it's sent, period.

How many pure analog inputs are you gonna find on your average smart TV?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

AV in aka composite video. Also VGA, which usually has an analog audio input.

I'm gonna take a guess that your modern smart TV doesn't have a pure analog path from a composite input, and definitely not fault it for asking for video input on the VGA input (why does it have one anyway in TYOOL 2017?)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skoll posted:

Yup. Pretty much always just a code printed on a piece of paper inside a DVD box.

Destiny 2 upped that by including a fake paper disc too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my loving god. This isn’t obsolete but it is obscene https://youtu.be/JMieEnzb58c

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Is the obscene part what he reveals when he takes the cards apart?

Yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is that what sites did when they wanted an imagemap - because they wanted all their navigation links to be different locations in one big image - but they were concerned about client-side image map support in ancient browsers, so instead their page consisted of a whole bunch of small images that tiled together to make one big one? At least I seem to remember that being a thing.

yep, I remember learning that in high school in like 2003, gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WITCHCRAFT posted:

There are so many youtube channels that deal in old, weird, forgotten, or even banned back in the day electronics that I would love to learn about. But the person hosting it has to scream and blow out their mic at every exciting discovery. It's a 30+ year old VGA graphics card settle down bub.

It's like the audio version of Youtube thumbnails where everyone has cartoon facial features. Bulbous glassy eyes and lolling tongues, jaw agape. CLICK ME, LOOK! I WAS ASTONISHED BY WHAT HAPPENED WHEN [click for full video]

It completely turns me off from some channels that cover stuff I think is really cool. I don't care what cool hardware or ancient console ROM you have to show me, if you are going to spend the whole time screeching and doing jump-scare cuts for a 1988 fantasy RPG.

Nobody actually enjoys this, right? It's just some algorithm thing?

part of that is played way up for laughs, but the general tone is just someone with adhd who's really excited about the topic

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Just found this fella and I kinda like how he seems to hate everything he talks about. It's low quality so no stupid transitions, just in depth reviews. He did a really good one on mobile AOL messenger devices and you can feel the loathing.

This one is neat for camera nerds, and stay for the serial killer basement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrqVyLH3f9w

And this is actually a very good primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sQF_K9MqpA
"Disclaimer, don't do this, you might go to jail!"
And the cheeky fucker is wearing a shirt that will zebra everywhere.

Nah he’s high quality and passionate about some things just it’s taking him awhile to sort out space and he frequently reviews poo poo that’s unusual technologically but not something he is personally passionate about (his home video camera series he’s really excited for).

But the most important video to watch on this channel is this one. He does not love the product. No one should love the product. But the inevitable groaning discovery is so worth it. https://youtu.be/JMieEnzb58c

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Watching Techmoan Man use a stylus to enter MiniDisc titles reminds me: I haven't picked up a Palm device in about 18 years, but I bet I could still write fluidly in Graffiti.

k, here's a can, go tag up your local political party office you hate

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

"I'm a Commodore 64"

His name’s SID.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

What, I ask you, constitutes a professional joystick user

anyone born with a dick

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

You Am I posted:

Included in that Atari ST lot is a Gamesmen catalogue from Summer 1992. It was interesting seeing prices of consoles and PC games and hardware from that time

you can't just say that and not post pictures!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
posting on page file

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Adolf Glitter posted:

The guy in the article has a pretty good looking YouTube channel that I think you'll dig. Here's part 1 of an olde Mac related thing he did, as an example. (I've not watched many so I hope he isn't some MRA fascist or some poo poo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9pAl5bJcUI

I've been watching Action Retro for months. He's fine as far as I know, shows absolutely no signs of being a chud or anything like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I use https://www.justwatch.com/ to find out what is on what service.

For others outside the US, if you scroll to the bottom they likely have a site for your country too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I had an upper endoscopy several years ago. Woke up when they were pulling out the scope.

That’s a pretty failed restart to your system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I tend to use Something or Nothing as my SSIDs, so I get up pop-ups saying "You are connected to Something" or "You are connected to Nothing." It amuses me.

the family SSID is named "nevermind" because i thought that was pretty cute to have pop up on the discovery list when i was a teen. "nevermind this network being here."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

Anyone know if those laptop bays were designed to any standard, or were they all OEM-specific?

This device looks like it’s using PCMCIA, a standard that seemed to lend itself well to wild peripherals.

cathode ray dude (a retro tech youtuber) keeps talking about specific dell models that had the swap out drives also have USB ports on them if you wanted to use them as a standard external, which is great

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Remember those Uninstaller that world destroy your C drive? Lol

Narrowly dodged this with pool of radiance: ruins of myth drannor (a game so forgettable barely no one remembers it even had that gently caress up because no one remembers it existed in the first place)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tinted sunglasses should work to make eclipse viewing safe right? So those were actually effective? Also they make you look like Elton John.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought 8BitGuy was kind of a dork, then I saw the open carry at Home Depot video and thought less of him. Then I saw a video where he articulated that he doesn’t give a poo poo about other people he doesn’t know dying to gun violence, and thought even less of him.

I like guns just fine but I loving hate gun nuts. You’re not the hero of an action movie and guns aren’t a replacement for a personality you douchebag.

If you haven't seen LGR's new Computer Reset video, there's a joke in there where the 8bitguy does a joke very much at his expense, which is far more self-aware than I ever expected he would be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I got a BMW rental recently (turns out fwd BMWs are the cheapest rentals in Detroit) and while some things annoyed me (skipping tracks on Bluetooth took 2 button presses?) the little nav wheel was great compared to a touchscreen.

are you really surprised that strange furrin cars are the cheapest in Detroit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warbird posted:

I’m a truly baffling decision, my old man’s Jeep Gladiator can do car play but does it in a windowed mode for Christ knows what reason.

No I think you’re fine, it’s your dad’s car that’s baffling. I presume he didn’t know that when he bought it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trabant posted:

Thread-appropriate purchase: got this for $5 (+ $20 shipping :v:):

I think I'll turn it into... something. Build a base for it which will house a Pi + keyboard, using the TV's external antenna jack so it can act as a display. Details TBD.

I can't even figure out how many things it is. a phone alarm clock television radio? am I missing anything?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Is this a tech relic yet?

:corsair:

Yes, windows xp/pentium 4 laptop is just a curiosity at this stage

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's the "ugh, trash" period that makes relics valuable.

Those 486 machines the thread drools over now would have considered less than worthless in 2002.

Like you, I look at that laptop and cannot imagine anyone actually ever wanting it, but no doubt there is a 12 year old out there right now who will, in a few years, be into "XPwave" or whatever and consider that thing the peak of (ironic) cool.

i already watch like 3 youtubers who would be all over that thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

IIRC he has quite a few health problems that lead to this.

I'm always amazed that his subscriber count is as low as it is. It's one of very few of my subscriptions where I watch every video that gets posted.

In case the name doesn't ring any bells, Asick is the last name of the guy who runs the Pixelmusement/Ancient DOS Games channel on Youtube.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Living up in the near arctic has some genuine and underappreciated benefits.

Giant horseflies the size of your thumb!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

evobatman posted:

Still a shittier drive than its contents.

Scatgate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember deleting everything on my HDD because Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Baldur's Gate (cum expansion) came on like 6 or 7 CD-ROMs and I was NOT about to swap.

Five for the base game and one more for the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. Most of it is the FMV movies I believe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

why does it have a smell button (well, SMEL)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why do you have 40 000 Xboxes?

look at the thread title

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Armacham posted:

What if tie fighter but three wings

that's a tri fighter

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Found a picture of corner desk I built myself. Must have been around 2000. Dirty dishes included cause why would you move those before taking a picture!

What's the map of?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mr-Spain that computer brings back memories as I recognize that case badge as being on the very first PC my family ever had, the first computer I ever knew. Don’t know if it was that exact badge, but definitely some kind of Compaq 386. Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
“ESP Available!” Well, no, I’m buying this to use my hearing senses thank you RadioShack. If I had ESP I could skip buying it in the first place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

And with how much ecommerce there is nowadays it strikes me as odd someone could imagine that the bulk of the US doesn't have a debit card of some kind.

The US is infamous for having backwards, out of date payment systems propped up by weird patches and shims. It’s really not unreasonable to ask when you’re still loving around with magnetic stripe and are on like your seventeenth person to person cash sending app this decade.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And it’s got not one but two “oh my god Gravis that is so stupid/amazing” reveals in the last half that are worth the wait. But yeah you really couldn’t split this up, and I personally really like that YouTube means I get videos like this that are a deep dive and don’t have to worry about the length like if they were on broadcast TV or something. Nerd poo poo like this is WHY I pay way too much money for YouTube premium.

e: conversely there’s a pretty good break about 45 minutes in when he switches to the second device if you want to watch more later. It wouldn’t be a good place to break it into two separate videos, but it is a good place to pause your own watch for awhile.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also Gravis does actually do YouTube Shorts irregularly of stuff that’s only got 2 minutes or less of content. The most recent one is about a phone that’s two handsets in one.