Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mak0rz posted:

I have a question:

Yesterday I tried playing this old game I used to love called Chasm: The Rift in DOSbox. Well turns out Chasm has pretty high system requirements for a DOS game so it runs like poo poo and has framerate issues even on 300x200. If I were to use something like FreeDOS instead, would the game run a little better?
I've played that game in DosBox without issues on a five year old netbook. DosBox can get choppy if you assign too many cycles. You'll need to whip up a custom ini file for DosBox, probably, and maybe mess with rendering, resolution and scaling options as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

You wouldn't happen to have your settings handy, would you?
Apparently I've overwritten them with settings more suitable for Impulse Tracker and the game won't start at all on my newer laptop for whatever reason, so you're out of luck as far as that goes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Germstore posted:

Yesterday my video card driver crashed and Windows 10 restarted it without crashing. That's some poo poo right there.
Welcome to 2012!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

nigga crab pollock posted:

mmm yeah i dont think it could do synths at all but i have to wonder if it would do fine just compositing samples. maybe using an ancient version?
There's a cool free windows version of Caustic, but if this is one of these ancient atoms, that's still going to be too heavy. Sunvox is probably the way to go.

If you've got outboard gear, it'd work awsomely with a midi only looping sequencer like Seq24.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yes please.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Efexeye posted:

why are the Z and Y keys switched
It has the German keyboard layout, presumably.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Techmoan did an article on one of those. He found out it saved to some terrible resolution (like 128 mono or something) so it wasn't worth the small convenience.
That was about a particular chinese thing that made mp3s from tape. Doesn't guarantee anything about the cd ripper thing one way or the other.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

spog posted:

You're not kidding! Thanks for the warning.
The link to Windows 10's system requirements in that exact quote you took from the stick pc link says Windows 10 requires 16GB for itself (these are 32 it installs for that very reason) :confused: It also says how to overcome temporary lack of space during updates with external storage.

Not recommending it or anything, but it's not like these devices come from the factory with zero space for user data or no way to do regular updates.

e: In fact my dad is using a tablet-like thing with 32GB storage and it went through the anniversary update and anything following that no problem.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

They seem to blame the device not having been updated since 2015 and the new delta-update scheme that packs up missed updates in a bundle. That seems somewhat plausible and it wouldn't be intuitive to a regular user that jumping the queue to the anniversary update, before trying to do the other updates first would probably have worked.

Mostly the specific claim that "Windows 10 requires 32 GB storage for itself, leaving no room for any user data." is the only thing in the article that is blatantly wrong. Given the rest of the context, it must be a mistake of some kind.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

spog posted:

Find torrents of the music as mp3 and frame the records and hang them on the wall

If you want the authentic record experience, slowly deflate a bicycle tyre against your ear whilst eating popping candy.
You can install a vst wrapper in foobar and just play your mp3s through this:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you absolutely insist, it's not all that hard to rip a cd into a single giant mp3 for a similar experience.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

5 had the browser thing. And I'd say the media library, but that technically was a plugin. I think both those things weren't present in 2.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think they intended Packard Bell Navigator, the skeuomorphic nightmare world that would attempt to replace program manager/desktop environment. Which according to the website was included. This wouldn't be an alternative to AOL. You might be thinking of Netscape Navigator.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

mystes posted:

I think before the switch to the ribbon you could modify the menus and toolbars however you wanted in the customize window? It was a while ago, though.
There was a version where it would auto-hide menu options you didn't use frequently (hidden behind an extra click on show all or whatever, not, like, gone), which was the worst. Could turn that off though.

Didn't know customizing Office menus went as far back as 4.x

I do customize my Firefox menu options heavily, so I'm not opposed on principle.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

Also, I still have a few shoeboxes full of floppy disks. I wonder whether it’s better to bet on a USB floppy drive to be compatible and functional, or to get a cheap Windows XP box with a Pentium 4 inside, one of those gaudy Dell Optiplex things.
USB floppy drives work without issue on modern Windows in my experience. Regular floppy dives as well, btw, if your board has the header. It's not worth any amount of time dealing with XP just to get to the files. If you've got other plans with the old machine in addition to that, that's a different story.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

unless you have some brand recommendations?
I think I have a Freecom usb floppy drive. The brand sounds familiar in that context anyway. If you're not in a particular hurry, I can take it out of storage in a couple of days, see what model it is and try it on Windows 10, which I'm not sure I was conflating with Windows 8.1 earlier when I said modern Windows.

Gonna add that I've never tried non-standard formatted disks either, if that matters.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you've got to use imgbb, please don't use the lovely thumbnails, thanks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I think Windows ME was the first version of Windows to support most (? I think) USB Mass Storage devices without installing additional drivers.
Nah, that was one of the major differences between 98 and 98SE.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Windows ME sucked dick, and I will die on this hill.
Well, yeah, you couldn't boot into DOS proper anymore.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Fool posted:

Retail key or OEM key? Because there is a big difference.
Not for the purposes of doing a clean install of 10.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

Since we're on the topic: what's the relationship between a microsoft account and being able to install/upgrade 10?

I ask cause I have a win7 laptop that I did the free upgrade to 10 when the offer was on. I just did a flatten/install of 10, using MCT.

If I want to sell it on ebay, can I do the MCT install again, not use my MS account and the new owner can still get activated on 10 using a new a/c?
You should be able to remove the device from your account here. The license should then stay with the hardware.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Like all software, dad brought the floppies with updates from work. Much like the infected games in the first place, I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That Sony phone with the wheel was also the first phone I had that let you store more than 10 numbers in it. I think it could do 99. Which basically heralded the end of my being able to memorize phone numbers.
At some point before that, phone numbers as well as sms messages would be stored on the SIM card exclusively and in the late nineties there could still be stark limits on how many would fit. You would be deleting messages all the time, because you could maybe store 8 of them, incoming and outgoing combined, and if the storage was full, new messages would bounce.

Even if you had a newer fancy phone with is own phone book, perhaps even allowing to add more than one phone number per contact (home landline, work phone, mobile), you'd be in poo poo when you got another phone, because transferring the numbers would involve copying them to the SIM card which didn't allow that and maybe had a 20 char all uppercase limit on the name associated with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I kinda wanted to get back in it and get a Dreambox about 10-15 years ago, but I guess IPTV phased that out.
Numerous brands of clones are still around. I bought a Linux satellite receiver a few weeks ago with enigma 2. Updated to the newest open source firmware that was a couple of days old at the time. Works with the dreamdroid android app. Neat poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Humphreys posted:

I am kinda interested in this... Now are we talking IRDETO etc cracked or just FTA satellite.
Honestly I'm just coming from a cheap and basic appliance type receiver, I'm not at all experienced with the depths of this. My only interest really is watching FTA channels and I'm marvelling at novelties like recording and media playback from network shares and the streaming of what's on to computers in the local network.

Now I don't doubt that if any cracking is taking place, a general-purpose computer like these linux boxes is what will be used. I just wouldn't know where to start. Like I pick up on keywords without knowing what they are exactly, like softcam, softcam keys, card sharing and such, but there seems hassle involved and linux command line poo poo and downloading from shady sites and manually keeping things up to date and all of that I'm not into at all.

There's a number of up to date software packages, openATV and OpenPLi being the biggest I know of. Both have lists of supported brands and models of receivers. Then there are a lot of plugins for added functionality. I haven't really looked into those, beyond a thing that does youtube, apparently. Nothing is properly documented. It's a major rabbit hole.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I read about some German archive where they kept one of every audio cd that came out (within certain parameters probably) and they found that on some of the earliest ones (first half of the eighties) bad ink was used to print the text on top which rotted through to the data layer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

This kicks rear end and I deeply resent that there doesn't seem to be an Android version.
ZXTune on android seems to be somewhat similar.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

I try to make an Amiga ProTracker chip tune every xmas. I still haven't figured out this year's song, but here are some of my previous ones. If/when I get a new tune done I will share it.
That's awesome. There's an annual Christmas music thread going that will happily take any and all musical contributions if you're into that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It says right there on the motherfucking cartridge it's a disk, not a disc!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gromit posted:

Was anyone here into 90s Amiga mods/trackers/demos? I'm trying to find a dance/techno track that had a vocal that said "What. Is. Love". It wasn't sung, it was said as 3 separate words.
Like the sample on the beginning of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD71055315c

I think this was the b track on the groove is in the heart single. It sounds itself not too dissimilar to what could be done in a tracker, but on the other hand also really an easy to sample snippet, so idk if it's the track (or a remix of it) that you're actually thinking of.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I just installed kodi on a fire stick to play files from my nas. I have a downloads folder within my video folder where new stuff ends up before being organized. The files in that folder do not get indexed. They are invisible to kodi for god knows what actual reason. This is not fixable from inside kodi. I'm sure there's an internal logic to explicitly exclude that folder based on something, but this is unknowable. And if it's documented somewhere, it is a translation error specific to kodi instead of a thing that broadly applies to most computer systems in the last fifty years.

I'm not against novel ways to organize our look at data, but the reality is that it's a translation layer on top of actual files and folders and now I have to understand how both systems work if anything goes wrong.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

HKR posted:

Kodi's library system hasn't changed much in the 16 or so years I've used it. Put your movies in one folder, your TV in another. Movies should be named 'movie name (year) [metadata]', TV should be organized 'Show name (year) [metadata]/season/Show name (year) - SxEx' where SxEx is used to determine the file's season and episode number, So S01E01 or 01x01 work here. Kodi doesn't scan subdirectories in movies libraries unless they're named as a movie (the files inside are then treated as part of that movie) so best practice is to keep your downloads directory out of your movie/TV directories.

This has been the standard format for media library software (kodi plex etc) since they've been a thing. It's far more effort trying to force said software to conform to your standards than it is to conform your files to theirs.
Right, that's what I'm saying. All that is why it's an example of a bad implementation of "what if we could navigate through other types of metadata and forget about files and folders". It doesn't fully bridge the gap, obfuscates where and why it fails and forces us to mess with the layer below to accommodate it. A theoretical good implementation could leave me blissfully unaware the layer below even exists. Realistically, it can offer me to fix only partially compliant items from within during import, I guess?

Nothing against kodi, btw. Fantastic piece of software if you're well aware of what files and folders are.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Any alcohol will work

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That man should just not read the comments at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

George RR Fartin posted:

Can I just cut an RCA cable in half, stick the bare wires into the left/right speaker outputs, and plug the RCA jack into a pair of inputs on the amp to get radio out of it?
No, massively different signal strengths, blowing something up territory.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Creature posted:

Our external 56k modem was translucent aqua plastic like the coolest iMac. It had a headphone jack on top which I never understood. Other than listening to the dial-up sound what was the purpose for that?
Make phone calls with a headset! Dial the number straight from your computer database! Also here's this janky software that turns your computer into an answering machine!

Just throw poo poo at the wall you barely had to modify the hardware for, worry about there being broad consumer interest in it later.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Trabant posted:

If you do watch it, I'm happy to take suggestions on what I can do better. This is my second ever upload so I'm very much looking to improve.
Audio could use some minor work. Mostly when the music ducks away entirely when you're speaking it feels a bit jarring. I would turn down the music by a small amount in general and duck a bit less when you're talking over it to minimize the contrast. I don't really need to hear the music under the words per se, but I want it to be there in the silence between words just for continuity. If that makes sense. If you're using some sort of automated sidechain ducking this should be trivial to dial in.

Other than that, stellar. Happily watched the whole thing and will do so again if more is forthcoming.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Presented like an audiocop laying out what they confiscated

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Sort of? No one pronounces “rom” as “Rome”. Or they shouldn’t at least :catstare:
Germans wrote the program iirc

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I would like to dedicate this post to top-lit keyboards. They only survived a brief window between the period where we realized we needed keyboard lighting and where we realized we could back-light keyboards

RIP top-lighting. You were too beautiful for this world

Saw this in some dollar store type store the other day though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm just tickled by the idea of someone carrying it in their laptop bag and using it in a public place maybe.