Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I watched EoE again recently but I haven't seen the show for a few years, so this should be good.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I originally watched Eva via ridiculously poor quality .rm files I got off of someone's FTP server. Those were the loving days I tell you.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Bit late cause I was exhausted last night.

These first two episodes were more than enough to hook me when I originally saw them. Although I had already seen Gunbuster and The Wings of Honneamise before so I had some idea of what to expect from Gainax.

They also did a pretty good job making me sympathetic to Shinji as well, Gendo is a truly hateful person from the outset and even Misato and her extremely messed up lifestyle didn't win me over. Highlight being Misato's 'joke' to Ritsuko over the phone, loving hell lady.

On rewatches I find it quite interesting how quickly Sachiel breaks through to the Geofront, it just blows a hole through the city/armour layer like nothing.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

darealkooky posted:

fourty

five

seconds

Best part of the ep.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Curry in the instant ramen... Misato is such a loving goon.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Srice posted:

Even before the second half the monster of the week stuff really sets the show apart from its peers. Episodes like this really emphasize it; most of the Angels are unique and memorable. NERV has to plan around their capabilities. And most importantly, they don't have a stock footage finishing move to pull out. They gotta do something different to finish the job each time.

Yeah this is the angel that kind of blew away my expectations of what the conflicts in this show would be like and left me really excited to see what was to come.

Misato also comes across as very good at her job in ep 6, which is nice to see after her introduction as a complete slob.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Apparently I gave this show a 7 on MAL? I feel like even if every remaining episode was just the last episode of Kare Kano repeated it would still rate higher than that on the strength of these six episodes alone.

To be honest I'm really bad at keeping my scores consistent and I often adjust them in hindsight later on, which is probably not really in the spirit of the site but oh well.

Agronox posted:

[*]Ha! This episode is literally called "The Hedgehog's Dilemma?" Okay I think we can safely say alienation is a Major Theme of the show now.

On my first time through I distinctly remember thinking to myself "oh wow that's totally me" when I heard the description in the show. How embarrassing.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 3, 2016

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

So can I tbf.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah ep 7 is really overshadowed by it and of course Asuka steals the show.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Kytrarewn posted:

The size of the plane in 7 just completely evades my imagination, considering its ability to hold and carry the gigantic robot completely within its form factor like that.

Something that always impresses me on Eva rewatches are the really cool incidental mechanical designs that only show up once or twice, that flying wing is sick.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It was definitely a 'weaker' episode but yeah it's not bad, hey it even had some character development in there. And Pen Pen.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah that's what's great about Misato, are early scenes give you the impression she's a total mess and you wonder how the hell she has that job, but then it turns out that it's because she's extremely competent.

I'd play the hell out of a Misato simulator: Balancing saving the Earth, looking after two angsty teens and (most importantly) making sure you have a constant supply of beer in the fridge.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

That does make sense, Misato definitely feels like a co-lead in places in the early stages of the show.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I actually grew up seeing a lot of reruns of Gerry Anderson shows but I never even made the influence connection until it was pointed out to me. In retrospect it really is super obvious, especially as Eva scratches the same mechanical design and attention to detail itch his work did for me.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Now that's my kinda shimapan.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

drat, 13 is such a good ep.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Also as far as clip shows go it is as close to optimum as possible really, the newsreel aesthetics are pretty cool.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I remember seeing that site a year or so ago but I didn't get around to reading much of it, I guess now would be a good time.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I think it's just a stylistic choice to make them seem different, or it could be because part of Asuka's name has to use katakana they made the others match.

It's probably something like that, although Imperial Japanese Navy destroyers did have their names written on their sides in katakana (probably for ease of recognition) and a lot of the characters in Eva are either named after warships or parts related to them. Maybe Anno just thought it looked cool.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Now the show is really turning the screws, from 16 onwards I was on a ride that it was impossible to get off of.

I really don't understand how anyone can't be at least somewhat sympathetic to Shinji because good lord is all this some poo poo to be going through.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It had also been without power for a very long time by that point.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

por favor no :(

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

She really sold Shinji's bad case of the Mondays in this ep.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

.jpg posted:

ep 18 is really cool because while the descent starts in 16, this one sends both Shinji and the viewers off the cliff. Shinji confirming the pilot of 03 in that way is still really emotionally brutal, even when everyone else already knows, hell it's because everyone else already knows

Got some feels on Saturday mornin...

I remember watching the part from the dummy plug activation till the end of the ep over and over the very first time I watched 18. I was genuinely shocked.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Was there ever any explanation on how the directors cut versions came to be? Japanese animation production tends to be a very lean process and for them to animate scenes that didn't actually get used in the final version is very rare. The only other instance I can think of was the first episode of Escaflowne.

Eva's production went completely off the rails around this point, a mixture of money and time running out with the added shitstorm the violence and that one sex scene caused. The fallout of this is basically why broadcast anime is so heavily censored to this day.

Also relating to 21... I also originally thought Misato had killed Kaji, at the time I figured it was implied that she was being released on the proviso that she offs him to prove her loyalty and such, of course this later turned out to be refuted by Anno and they even added a scene to dispel it. In retrospect it really doesn't fit her character to have done it anyway.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

darealkooky posted:

What censorship?

When you say 'broadcast', isn't all sorts of shlocky blood & boobs anime broadcast? or was eva shown at an hour reasonable human beings are awake like (iirc) utena was.

either way utena has a sex scene about as non-graphic as the eva one and that happened after this show. I guess it's a little more obfuscated though, especially compared to the movie.

Eva was shown fairly early in the evening on TV Tokyo so yeah not the usual otaku slot, at least on its initial run. I know it got shown in a late timeslot later on and that's apparently where the show really took off.

There are a lot of scenes that would probably get the light ray treatment these days.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Christ it's easy to forget how much of a mess literally everything and everyone is by this point, even Pen Pen is lethargic.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

They straight up kissed in the early drafts, it's extremely gay.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Shinji hasn't really shown much romantic attraction to anyone up until this point. Asuka and him were never on what I'd call 'good terms' and he's pretty distant from everyone else apart from Rei (which is a different thing entirely).

Along comes Kaworu and he practually has heart shaped pupils, it's definitely romantic love at the least. Though it feels like it's probably a special case for him.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah it was seemingly in vogue to be a self-hating Eva fan for quite a long time, and not just here either.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

To be honest I watched it (and 1.0) yesterday cause I had an Eva liking friend over and it seemed like a good idea. It was, EoE owns.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah Anno, if you wanted me hate what happens in EoE you probably shouldn't have animated it so well tbh.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Though I will say the first time I saw it I was generally shocked and I felt a little unwell, Asuka's final line summed up my initial feelings at the end too.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

bowmore posted:

Does she deserve any?

She likes cats.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Kytrarewn posted:

Now, there's a certain sadness to be had in the thought that she was rejected by the man she loved from joining the collective consciousness,

Lucky for her it looks like Rei goes to pick her and seemingly everyone else up who died before it all kicks off proper, how far back? Well there is that one shot of her in episode 1...

In one of the quick shots a fairly large number of graves are shown, which must mean a lot of time has passed since Shinji returned. I think it's pretty clearly implied by one of them having Misato's cross nailed to it that he made them for everyone he thought he'd never see again. Also though, one is very clearly broken and knocked over in imagery not too dissimilar to the ubiquitous telegraph poles. So he must have put hers up before she rejected instrumentality too... It doesn't look like she reacted to seeing her own grave very well.

Hang in there Shinji.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

I love me some bookends, and that's one of my favorite; do you think it was one of the avatars created in this event, come to see the instigator? One of the first scenes is the Rei avatar for a brief flash, as if to say, "Hello! The story is beginning now." And one of the last scenes in the movie is a longer cut of the same avatar just chilling and staring, as if to say, "Thank you. It's done; We're done- There's nothing more to say. Peace."

I'm not sure that this is quite what Anno had in mind at the beginning, if he had anything in mind except a giant robot show. But I'm glad he added that detail. It's like poetry, you know. It rhymes.

Yeah definitely, that's basically my read of it. I also don't think Anno had that in mind when he started but it really is all tied up nicely for me. The series ending is good but EoE is perfection.

Raxivace posted:

Now I'm starting to wonder if Shinji didn't just straight up murderer anyone that came back before Asuka. I always figured Asuka was the first to come back, but now I'm unsure.

Maybe those graves aren't empty.

Not pictured: The hundreds of JSSDF soldiers and NERV personnel Shinji has strangled and buried before Asuka showed up.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Zas posted:

interview with Kazuya Tsurumaki (dir. EoE25, FLCL among other things) from the EoE program book in 97:

-- Finally, do you have some message for the fans?
KT - Don't drag the past around. Find the next thing that interests you.

-- Does that mean not becoming fixated on "Evangelion"?
KT - Yes. It's always better to let something that has finished end.

So, we watchin the rebuilds??

I just finished rewatching all three yesterday and yeah honestly they're okay but oh boy are they ever superfluous.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I will say the whole Ramiel sequence is really well done and it's worth watching as a remake of that alone. The rest of the movie feels straight up inferior to the series otherwise.

Also them dropping a whole section of the city to get Shinji outta there was cool and all but... Isn't that a bad idea? It's ok though Ramiel just ignores the nice big hole they made and drills through the plates like normal.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It's pretty frustrating to see him basically pushed into all of that happening though, the only reason any of them are still alive in the first place is because he returned to pilot Eva. Though I guess in this timeline they might not understand that quite as well as they did in the TV universe.

Not to say it's a flaw in the movie of course, I found that all disturbingly believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Sometimes it's better to quit and take up a more fulfilling hobby, like growing watermelons.

Edit: 3.0+1.0 is a Non Non Biyori crossover movie. Renge is the true final angel.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 1, 2016

• Locked thread