Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Here's some pics from my dad's old farm pond. My dad and uncle built this pond, and stocked it for years. At it's peak, it had 8-10lb largemouth and dinner plate sized crappie. Then our Fish & Wildlife department, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to restock otters to the nearby CoE lake. They wandered the mile or so to dad's farm and cleaned us the gently caress out. :smith:

Fairly typical hybrid bluegill and black crappie.

More bluegill.

This was from the last summer before the Ottering. We weren't fishing for crappie, and it's the middle of summer. I had taken a buddy and his little boy out there fishing, and my buddy's son hooked into the biggest crappie in the basket with a nightcrawler and bobber. He ended up catching two of the ones here.

He sold the farm last year. Goddamn, I miss that pond.

I obsessively fished the same local (small) dam over and over and had some luck compared to most everyone I saw even though it was my first season, and while I should just blame myself for not exploring more and learning the tricks and spots of another location, instead I just god drat hate you because those are some serious eating fish and it looks like the average crappie and average bluegill in there beats my absolute best in size after catching 100 crappie and hundreds and hundreds of bluegill.

I'd post a picture but this guy owned me, you win guy, crappie fishing is really really fun and good food. I like 'em on rye bread with mayo. I guess every place has it limits, but after all that I never caught a gill over maybe 9" and none too round, and my record black crappie was a foot but again no old hogs to be found yet.

Can't wait to learn ice fishing though, hope it leads to some good lunches.

edit

Just read the part about otters, sorry to hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stik3 posted:

Threads like these inspire me to learn how to fillet fish. I love fishing, and I love eating fish. I am wasting potential :(

bad time of the year for it but i could make a video or something but it seems dumb since youtube has a thousand, what do you usually catch?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
this thread makes me feel good. hope i can find some new sunfish spots i want to like loving double the size of my eatin' fish

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Woo! Caught a small largemouth top fishing a dark green plastic worm and hook setting off YouTube instructions. Awesome.

Nice job! There will be a day where this is the worst part of your fishing trip. As far as your backyard fishing goes, have you tried just using a 1/32 oz jig? If that catches on too much poo poo, add a small slip bobber maybe 1-4 feet down the line (I have no idea what your water depth is or species are so I'm just throwing a guess out there for high enough to not hit weeds and low enough to attract fish that aren't surfacing)

Also I gotta disagree with bongwizard: Use a crappie/panfish jig and never bother catching bass on purpose again, when it comes to eating fish black crappie are the efficient and tasty king

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheDon01 posted:

Hey I finally get to Post a fish

drat that owns and looks like a serious amount of food. what'd they weigh in at? how easy are halibut to fillet?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bongwizzard posted:

I don't own it. The owners are not opposed to stocking it, but are not going to do it themselves. The urge to stock via bucket biology is getting stronger and stronger, but I have been too lazy to rig a live-well for my car.

They are like 4-6" max, most are super super small.

I should look into pond care and stocking a bit more, it is decently large and like a 2-3 min walk from my front door.

It's very much a regional or even by body of water kind of thing, but as someone who fishes spots that have nothing better than average bluegill, I gotta say 4-6" isn't average. I don't eat bluegill unless they're 8", crappie unless they're almost 11".

Do yourself a favor and don't youtube 'huge bluegill' or you'll consider moving to a place where they are the size of a loving pan and bite on corn.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bongwizzard posted:

Oh I know, I was saying that 4-6" is large for the stunted population in this pond. I was fishing a bass tournament this spring and caught what was likely a citation sized bluegill, but in my bass frenzy I threw him back without a pic. I regretted it before he disappeared from view.

My favorite sunfish are Redbreasts. My favorite smallie spot is full of them and they are great fighters. I would love to catch a Warmouth, just cuz of the name, but I have never seen one around here, despite a lot of my spots having a population.

I kinda want to get into panfishing more. When I first started on bass I used really light tackle and would often give up on bass and target panfish. Once I had bass figured out a bit I stopped doing it, but I kinda want to get a tenkara rod to carry around so if I see a good spot I can quickly jump into panfish mode.

I was poorly wording my post but just wanted to establish what people consider big for their region is. Are warmouth and redeye the same species or is one a hybrid? And a sort of related question here: Has anyone ever caught a green sunfish that was actually big enough to eat or is this impossible?

Around here it's black/white crappie, bluegill, pumpkin seed and green sunfish in that order. The crappie are dinner sized more often than not, but the list shrinks pretty quickly. I never keep pumpkins either, they're too pretty and slightly smaller than bluegill here.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i barely got any pictures but i caught my first rainbow trout today on six pound test and i am still on some kind of natural high holy poo poo how am i supposed to go back to sunfish now

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cumslut1895 posted:

edit: I probably should have taken some earlier pictures

YEEEAH BUDDY, i try not to take pictures too often while fishing and just enjoy the time outdoors so this was the smaller trout out of the oven

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rape Stink posted:

Nothing special for crappie, just my usual panfish rig -- a 1/16oz jig head and a small tube or 3in curly tail grub. Any small plastic would probably work though, and you can't ever really go wrong with small bits of nightcrawler on a drop shot either.

A great way to break a skunk is to go kiddie fishing for some panfish.

Anyway, turns out you're not supposed to eat the crappie out of the Delaware River watershed near Philadelphia because of the pollution from the Rohm and Haas Chemical plant that's right on the river. I've seen stripers come out of the water near there that are covered in sores and have all kinds of weird rear end deformities. Hopefully I can find some crappie in one of the cleaner lakes around here that doesn't connect to the river.

I can't tell if it's the angle but the crappie seem a bit small for a spot with bass that size. At least here crappie love those artificial grub with the little tail on them, especially any combination of white/green/yellow. Just guessing the size based on your thumb in the mouth and their fins being big for their body though, did you measure any?

If you call your local DEC office you'll probably hear the same thing I was reminded of: Even the bodies of water that don't have a bad reputation they'll still tell you to eat like max three fish a month from. They'll also likely laugh or be upset that you think that particular river or lake hasn't been cleaned up, or that your favorite spot has the same test results but no one is ever sent to test there.

As far as recipes go I eat crappie all the time but I'm no chef: They're bigger, slightly easier to clean bluegill to me. Pan and some butter, throw in an herb of your choice or some lemon juice. People swear by bread crumbs on all pan fish but again I'm no drat chef so I don't bother

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
how do you fish again after catching consistently 4+ pound rainbow trout in a stocked pond? now everytime i go fishing i throw back crappie bass and perch realizing that i'd need to fillet 15 of them for the same amount of meat

on the bright side: i don't post pictures of them because it'd be both cheating and cruel

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Easy, you fish for 30lb salmon.

Post your consistent four pound trout pics and talk about how you got them. Do you think that we don't like seeing pics of fish itt? That is not correct.

i wish man, my best rod is a 42 dollar ugly stik which i think is rated for up to 12 pound line, i'd get a big rig going but i mostly just go for crappie

might snap some fat trout pictures, they are still a load of fun. i've only had one break my line, the funniest way to lose these fish is when they stay on long enough to bend a hook straight

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

joem83 posted:

Post a Fish(ing knife)

Here are my two trusty knives. The fixed blade is what I usually carry, I love it. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. The second was a gift from my best friend, a leftover from his days in the Marines. I'm a sucker for automatic knives. Both are 4 inch blades.

Makes a man want to get married. Is that curly birch on the Helle knife? And sorry we don't have a tree thread here or I'd ask elsewhere, does anyone know if curly birch is actually a silver birch subspecies or is it just a word used to describe silver birch that have irregular grain that resembles a mild burl swirl? Beautiful knife.

bongwizzard posted:

Wow, I have always wondered, "what is nastier looking then a big catfish?" and now I know the answer is "a big albino catfish".

I want to agree but I would replace nastier with tastier

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Going to Bass Pro this weekend with a $115 gift card, most likely going to end up getting a St. Croix spinner to match my Mojo Inshore :D

Hadn't heard of these but I looked it up, handsome looking.

The fishing gear thread is pretty dead, anyone mind giving me advice here on which reel to buy? I want a Swedish made Abu Garcia, and I think they only make the roundreel baitcasters there now. I'm still going strong with my 40 dollar ugly stick, five years in. But I know the line, rod and reel would all explode if I took it to some bigger local lakes and rivers looking for catfish, pike, and especially muskie. Even the stocked trout I've got access to can break the 6 pound test I run, but I'd hate to have to change line every time I switch spots.

I've got a gift card as well and I'm looking at the Abu Garcia C4 5600, or the 7000. The 7000 is only another 10 bucks and has the power knob/handle, and those 'power knob handles' are 20 dollars and so far the only thing I know about baitcasters is I hate the small double knobs and I'm excited to practice casting farther and avoiding tangles.

Any tips appreciated, my ugly stick has the retrieve handle on the left, but I understand people switch hands sometimes for baitcasters because they've got more knobs you want close.

TLDR: Is it stupid to put a 7000 on a cheap medium/heavy rod with 20-30 pound test on it and see if this still lets me feel a smaller trout or pike on the hook while also being beefy enough to carefully land a muskie?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 24, 2019

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

What's the smallest lure or amount of weight that you're planning to use? The bigger the reel and the burlier the line, the more you'll need. Braid mitigates this a bit, but if you're casting for distance the weight of the lure or sinker will matter a lot. And if you're excited about avoiding tangles, buddy, let me tell you about wind knots.

Also, it's kind of crazy that stocked trout can break 6 lb test line. Doesn't seem like that should be happening.

The jumbo fish world is new to me but if I'm using 3/8th ounce jigs on my light rod I'd like to use 1/2 ounce and bigger on the new one I imagine? I'll mostly be looking for trout, walleye, some pike and bass. Might buy a single musky lure eventually, it'd be fun I just can't imagine finding or landing one until I get a boat.

They are huge fat loving trout and about 30" long now, and I also may or may not have left out that I broke the line a couple of times from not using a net and beaching them. Never lost a fish though, making it the perfect system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

3/8 is a pretty burly jig for trout! I have a mold for trout jigs and the largest one is 1/8 on a #4 hook. (The smallest is 1/80th of an ounce on a #10 hook. What do you even do with that, make a sabiki rig?) And drat, I want to catch those fat loving holdovers and fill the smoker with them. Catching a little stocked trout not long after it's been planted isn't the greatest, but after stockies get to live in nature and eat real food for a year or so they are way better to catch (and eat). You make them sound like steelhead. Bring a net!

What is your rod rated for in terms of line and lure weight? That would be good to know when pairing reels, lines, lures, etc. I'm not an authority but the 7000 still seems like overkill if you're not surf fishing with it.

I'm not the best at being coherent so I should mention most the trout I eat aren't stockies from a public pond or creek, it's a family members pond and they're probably near the end of their life, he lost a bunch to the heat last summer. I don't imagine I'll ever see stocked trout get that big in a bigger body of water where they'd have competition and not be fed buckets of food twice a day.

Didn't buy a new rod yet either, my ugly stick is a medium 6'6" long and rated for I think 12 pound test max, I'd probably just leave it with the ugly stick reel as my panfisher. Currently I'm looking at medium/MH rods from Abu, or Camofire just had "13 Black Omen 2"s on a big sale which I hadn't heard of before but they're well reviewed and rated for 25 pounds.

It's definitely overkill, it's just annoying that to get the other made in Sweden Abu reels they still offer (like the 4600 or 5600) you only save ten dollars, which you then lose to swap in the 'power handle'. If I wanted to be practical it seems like a lot of the newer low profile baitcasters that are made in China still get great reviews, and plenty of the $100 combo rod/reels would cover most walleye and pike in my region.

Nets are good and smart, no argument there they're just a real bitch to use when you're solo fishing off the shore.