Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Maybe now he can make a pleasant living hiding animals in terribly drawn scenes of everyday life without having to ever go into his horrible political opinions. Good for him, good for the world as a whole. A happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, the joke is wearing thin by now.

I imagine he hadn't expected to need it for more than five years, if that.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Trident: an illustrated guide to renewing Britain's nuclear deterrent - Chris Riddell on the defence spending debate"

We should keep Trident because it's evidently making GBS threads billions of pounds. Good to know.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

fill in the blank to describe a group of people who the Telegraph want to see suffer:

______ERS

Angepain fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 29, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cuts to the NHS mean junior doctors are the only staff around to distribute bedpans, Mac is bringing light to the real issues here

Cloud Potato posted:

(Or is it Paul Thomas?)

Why no, it's just an advertisement for today's paper outside that famous newsagents, The Palace Of Westminster

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Seeing his attempts at graffiti I feel a bit better about his Gay Couple With A Swastika Tattoo cartoon from a while back. Clearly he has no idea what that shape is or what it means, otherwise he wouldn't keep drawing it everywhere. He's just seen it written on walls from time to time and has no idea why.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

So Zac's the one at the back, who's is the tiny face at the bottom right?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Ugh. Why is Osborne only yellow from the neck up? I can't tell if that's worse than being jaundiced all the way down, but it means it's either make up or a tan-line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S8poOaSlGc

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"David Cameron's referendum nightmare - Chris Riddell on alooming crisis for the prime minister"

for the love of god chris how many loving times must you make this one cartoon

e: actually looking back it's been a good year or so since he did his last Nightmare Monsters cartoon so i guess this has been a creative time for him.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 29, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking that the Cronus painting surely isn't that popular but.. apparently it is.

British cartoon culture lesson #1: there are, in actual fact, only about twenty or so pictures from the past that have ever been made, ever. Somehow at least three of these are all Low's Rendezvous.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

Y'know, most of the time I prefer British cartoons to US ones, but I feel like shoehorning obituary topics like Ali into your This-Is-Politics-Cartoon for the day is really tacky and tasteless.

A Thing Happened is basically the law of the land over here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

loving Brussels making us put labels on everything.

:golfclap:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I have no idea what camp Gordon Brown is in or care

I guess "Brown does a speech on an issue and expects to be listened to by anyone" doesn't count as news anymore so I can see how you missed his contribution

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Without guns, democracy would merely be Dem Cracy. A... cartoon?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Someone please put this in the OP, it's glorious.

Hang on, they used Thomas' cartoon despite him not agreeing with the sentiment? Jeezo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It's got a thorn in it, therefore 100% genuine icelandic. I am the master linguist of all

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I didn't even realise that was a child *looking* at the picture because I guess I didn't look hard enough, so that makes a lot more sense now. Honestly, even if it takes a while to parse, the fact that he's even trying to use the comics/cartoons format to say something meaningful in a way that uses the form in a different way puts him above most of the shits that we see in the politoons threads. Stephen Collins is a Good Chap.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

oh god Mac's going to be smug for a long time isn't he, he's going to be... happy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not sure that's right, if that was the point he'd colour the gutters black or even just outline the panels. They're definitely meant to resemble nets though.

As well as the usual visual reason for windows and window panes, i.e. to show a separation between the people on either side and/or between the people on one side and the reader/viewer.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm glad Bell's Cameron Condom is getting a proper protracted sendoff as it gradually deflates and possibly gets chewed by a dog or something

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The sad thing is we're going to see much fewer Boris drawings now he's basically irrelevant again, so lap this up while you can

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Shame. I'm not sure what fascinates me about the Boris caricatures, he is such a soft spoken buffoon and yet a cartoonist can see

That's the thing about Boris, there is a truly despicable calculating self-obsessed arsehole in there but carefully (and to an unknown extent, deliberately) hidden under many layers of oh-look-at-me-aren't-I-a-scamp. It's only after years of having to pay attention to the guy that the depths of his bastardry can truly be revealed to a person, and then converted into hideous cartoon form as a warning for unwary Americans encountering him for the first time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

I guess we're still in a union with Sweden and Finland, then :goonsay:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

stephen i love you

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Killing and drowning Gove in the blood pool was a given, but doing it to Richard Nixon and a big-nose ghost was over the line.
is that meant to be... Cameron?

"Right I've got a few minutes left, I'll just draw those other leadership candidates at the bottom... Gove, yeah I've heard of that one... who are these guys? Crab? Fox? This sounds made up, I'll just draw a couple of generic white men and that should be enough, this is the UK Conservatives, they'll look like somebody high up"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

That Theresa... checking this thread before bed was a bad move

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jeremy has transplanted... his leadership... by his hands... being in the wrong direction... which is a metaphor for... hands being wrong... meaning.... Corbyn... bad?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

no

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

at least having the others there means we can't get the sense of false superiority we used to get from reading the main cartoon thread and then just coming here to see nothing but bell and rowson knocking it out the park on the regular

though if we want to deflate our british superiority nowaways we can just think of the number "52%" I guess

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Britannia in the dark about Brexit - Chris Riddell on the Bank of England interest rate cut and David Cameron’s resignation honours list"

Okay, so is there a British cartoonist left who hasn't made the pig-gets-an-honour gag yet? Maybe there's one who just hasn't got round to it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

What is the joke supposed to be? Online banking exists?

I Don't Understand These drat Gizmos, I think. I wasn't aware banks were closing due to online banking, though some have become very full of machines that the staff are very keen to get you to use instead of talking to them, which makes sense because I'm sure the general public are awful.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The Times one is at least a decently-construsted metaphor, provided you share the cartoonist's worldview. The Telegraph one is abysmal, though, I'll give you that. When your cartoon is trying to bash a candidate by having your actual Darth Vader endorse him for no apparent reason you might want to rethink a number of your decisions in life.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ahah oh god I haven't learned anything. First thing I thought when I saw this cartoon was, oh look, Mac has given an incidental character a hijab, I guess even Mac can occasionally note the diversity of Britain, now let's see what the sure-to-be-unrelated joke is and... oh. Oh, and the doctor is... oh.

gently caress off, Mac.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Meanwhile NHS mental health beds are at the same levels they were when there was a certain hospital called Bedlam around

...so named because of the wide abundance of Beds, right? :ohdear:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If i had the time and the wherewithal I'd make one with a drone carrying Stanley McMurty out to sea, but I don't so you'll all have to imagine it in your heads kthx

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A baking show happened/ is happening

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Huh, Black Forest Gateau? What's wrong with a fruitcake.

sounds suspiciously German to me tbh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

hoot if you looooove death

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

What's worse is it's not even a good bad opinion cartoon. I mean why are Funeral Directors in the coffin? Obviously they aren't, but because of his pointless label (who over the age of 6 won't work out that the guy in a top hat, driving a hearse, with a coffin in the back, is a funeral director?) it gives that impression.

It's nearly as bad as Mac & Bob. Nearly.

the doctor's strike will lead to an improvement in medical services that will bring about the elimination of Death itself, thus

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

goddamnit chris whenever you think you've finished a cartoon next time just remove at least half the words, go on, give it a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

At least First Dog feels like it's using :words: on purpose though, like it's structured like a normal piece of extended humorous writing that just happens to have some pictures to go with it. Riddell though usually seems like he's trying to make just one snappy joke or point and ends up dragging out everything. imo.