Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Spotted TGO at B&N today.

I didn't buy it since I figured I'd get it on Kindle or wait until TUC is out. TGO isn't released on kindle until next week.

Edit: I guess it isn't released until next week in any form. I wonder why B&N had two copies.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought the kindle wasn't til September? I'm loving importing the hardback from the states.

Yeah, I guess UK doesn't get their copies until Sept.

Mostly non-spoiler spoilers since I flipped through the book some.

Esmenet continues to be a dummy damsel. Non-man mansions continue to be creepy and cool. Akka and Mimara [sp?] find some stuff out about the duneyain [sp?]. I didn't stumble upon many Kellhus parts. Mostly just Proyas QQing about war and stuff.

All in all a lot of plot movement seems to happen. I should've just bought it yesterday. I may just go get the book today or tomorrow. I found the last two books incredibly boring and this, at first glance, seems to be pretty good.

There's also another reveal that will make a lot of fans pretty happy.

Personally, I'm thinking of waiting until TUC is released to read this one. I'm torn.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Poldarn posted:

I figured it was a satellite since it's always above Golgotterath and Golgotterath clearly isn't the planet's pole.

Also I really want to know why the Inchoroi think that depopulating Earwa is going to saved them this time, when it hadn't before.

Maybe Earwa is the last planet with life on it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You can film anything if you change it enough.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm in the middle of A Thousand-Fold Thought and I have mixed feelings. I like the concept, and the side characters are all interesting, but I find the main character to be pretty dull. How does the second trilogy compare?

It's a series that is awesome in summary but boring in detail, with the exception of the first two books of the first trilogy, and maybe the latest book.

It's overlong and overwrought, much like A Song of Ice and Fire, and much of it serves to exroll the author's psuedoscientific philosophy of neurology which was much better, and much more quickly described in the book Blindsight, which is definitely worth a read, I will add. The reaction to his philosophy, from any rational or cynical person should range from "of course...", "oh...", or "who cares?" The philosophy in Bakker's books will only astound you if you come to it from a place of magical thinking, hyper spirituality, and/or a nigh unshakable belief in the human spirit. It's probably a philosophy that would fascinate a teenager but that many adults just take for granted.

Despite that, I do think it's a good series, especially when compared to other book-stopper fantasy. However, I find huge chunks of the books, and the philosophy they extoll, boring. The series could be renamed to: "Reasonably intelligent sociopath conquers Planet of the Mentally Handicapped" or, just for fun, "Fat and Sassy Magical Badasses."

TL;DR - Parts of the series are some of the best fantasy, maybe the best fiction, you'll ever read but unfortunately those parts are bookended by boring slogs through boring and stupid characters and boring ideas.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Cnaiur digging holes in the ground and loving them while crying, is me irl

Why does he do that anyway? I can't remember... maybe the same reason we all do...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcustic posted:

If my memory isn't failing me, because he's gay for Kellhus or something.

Isn't everyone?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ianmacdo posted:

When reading the action I always forget that they are not actually ugly orcs, but described as more like feral elves. So they are cutting down hordes of angry short Legolas and Elrond looking suckers.

They're more like man-dogs with beautiful nonman (elvish) faces, iirc.

Nonmen, I believe, look like the alien from [the movie] Prometheus, but smaller.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 27, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 27, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The ribcage/chest is always described as dog-like.

Also they have the hind-legs of a dog. I forget which book they're described in.

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Sranc

quote:

Typically, Sranc stand no higher than the average caste-menial’s shoulder. Their skin is devoid of pigment, and despite the refined—to the point of repulsiveness—beauty of their faces, their physiognomy is bestial (though hairless), with pinched shoulders and deep, almond-shaped breasts. They are exceedingly fast across both open and broken terrain, and their sheer viciousness is said to compensate for their slight stature.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

General Battuta posted:

Has Bakker really considered the whole problem of holes? How did Kellhus stick it in Proyas so easily? Was his rear end in a top hat prepared by careful manipulations? Dilated and stretched through the mysteries of the Thousandfold Thought? Does the Aspect-Emperor gently caress a conditioned butt? I need to know, R Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMGd_rzRdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Bakker created Achamian's nickname "Akka" because it's easier to type.