Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I liked the Consult plan of nuke 'em from below, it's the only way to be sure.
Not sure what spoiler rules are so..

I thought Kellus allowed it to happen, or even caused it. I mean couldn't he just teleport the gently caress away with it? I was thinking it might be a way to rid himself of an army of sranc maddened peeps. But Kellus wouldn't really give a gently caress about that would he?

At the end is Kellus suggesting Proyas has them eat other humans ( weak/sick/etc ).

I have so many questions about these books. Sometimes I can't fully understand what Bakker is writing - like the Narindar makes reference to watching the WLW... which I thought was him, which is confusing. And I read elsewhere that Kelmomas was able to change the "Fate" or w/e and throw the WLW off. But I read those passages over and over and couldn't understand where people got that. In one section WLW throws his sword through Kellus' neck ( i think ) and then from Kelmomas view, WLW is just standing there bleeding from his ears with no explaination. poo poo is confusing.

I'm majorly confused by the inside/outside/hell/heaven/gods/zero gods/logos/darkness that comes before. I've never thought too deeply about it, just sort of go with the flow and trust what the author is saying. I have rough visualizations, but like.. if this were a detective novel I would be missing all the clues.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How did Kelhus learn about radiation sickness?

I think he was specifically searching for the nuke, I'm guessing he had info about somehow and what its effects would be. Basically he emptied out the well of Viri until that showed up.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo I forgot this thread existed. I've been sick this week and reskimming the books.

I started quoting every funny post I read, but it just got ridiculous. I'll just say thanks for chance to laugh at something while lying in bed slowly dying from the flu.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He was very persuasive.

Although I will admire the gumption if it turns out everything Kellhus has said is a complete fabrication.
Sometimes this bugs me.. like why would he even talk to Saubon at the end there, or anyone, except when in active manipulation mode - which then taints every comment he makes. I understand it is important from a story telling point of view - but yeah. Once you go down that path of what if Kellus was lying to us all - I think it is lovely. Like the author forces you to accept this method of explaining things, which you graciously do, and then he fucks you for it.

edit: Just came across an extreme example.. in WLW ithrates, kelmomas, maithenet are having their big discussion and its like

"I see your true meaning when you say that [CSI explaination mode]
"But we are all dunyain so we can all see inside eachother [plot explaination mode]

It's like - why don't you fuckers all shut up then and just stare at each others face to talk to each other. Why are you explaining all your moves like a comic book villain? But yeah, I get that the author has to do that to keep it interesting and engaging.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

So I finished book one of this, and man I had trouble getting into it. I really had to push myself forward and it took me a few weeks to finish (where I could usually burn through something like this in a night or a weekend). Is book 2 better? I kept waiting for like a climax in the book, and I'm still not sure if there was one. Maybe the Consult reveal?

I had a really hard time at first. honestly, I only got through the first book because 1) I skim read a lot and 2) I was basically locked up with books 1 and 2 and nothing to do.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jason Alexander as Achamian
You just loving ruined the books for me, because I can't stop thinking about this.

Libluini posted:

but also in the end destroyed those stupid Nonmen-fuckers after said giant removed the gag from her mouth so she could use sorcery.[/spoiler]

She still has the anagogic necklace on though, right? Is she just ultra-rad and can power through it, or is she basically gonna get one spell off and be hosed ( like aka when captured ).

Libluini posted:

poo poo like this and Sorweel masturbating to Serwa and Moenghus Jr. loving is in all his books.
It's funny. black seed doesn't bother me, but that poo poo made me cringe. He is like GRRM where he gets a "clever phrase" in his head and then we have to read it all loving book. like "little brother" as a euphemism for his dick.

Nevvy Z posted:

It just seemed to come up so randomly. I love how brutally graphic every description is though.

"it smelled of roast lamb and feces" or whatever, and was just like... nope. nope. nope. He does a good ( disgusting ) job of reminding us just how bad people's hygiene is, especially during aka/esmets grand tour in 2nd book. I feel like its a constant reminder of "drat these guy's balls must smell horrible".

savinhill posted:

Just got past the part where Saubon and his crew climb up on that redoubt or whatever it was and go down fighting an endless swarm of Sranc, so fuckin metal that scene was, wish it could be memorialized in a Frazzetta painting

yeah that is heavy metal as gently caress. the other one for me is Cnaiur's speech before that final fight with Conphas' army.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The white luck warrior can see himself in the future and the past, which is why he moves with that Unnerving Grace - he sees himself do something, and then he does it.

The white luck warrior is described as a sister to the lead yatwer priestess Pnafaurmi or w/e. I took that to mean WLW was sent by Yatwer. But the WLW is then later described as working for some death cult god, and then later as being sent by the 4 horned god? Or is is that

-WLW is yatwer's dude
-Common legend says the death cult that Esmi talked to sends a perfect assassin, but its really just WLW.
-Kelmomas thinks WLW is from Ajokli, but is wrong

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The outside is some combination afterlife and spirit realm - it's where souls and gods reside. It exists in some way outside of time, which is how prophecy is able to exist and how WLW can do his thing. One of the major mysteries is how exactly the outside relates to the inside - whether gods cause humans or humans cause god.

It seems to me that all of reality is one living entity ( for lack of a better term ). The different parts are fragmented and war against each other, but ultimately everything in Earwa is the same point/entity. This comes both from Kel's explanation to Aka, as well Kel's looking through all the campfire scene with Proyas. I'm sure there are other examples as well - I think someone else pointed out stuff the nonmen said.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The zero/infinite thing is a weird spin on omniscience and the "can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it?" because if the God is infinite and all knowing, then he's unable to be surprised, unable to experience the panoply of human emotions that depend on not knowing. More disturbing, if the god sees all then, like the WLW, it has no will, he does what he will do (oh hello Muad'Dib, didn't see you there).

Seems to me this is all about "first mover" arguments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmoved_mover It is worth noting that Aristotle talks here about it being "indivisible". Effectively, god is everywhere, and therefor nowhere. I think this meshes with

-the logos, which is all about being the first mover ( the absolute )
-noGod ( everything therefore nothing )
-everything being a single point
-constant references to fragmentation

For a while I personally believed that we are all just nerves endings for a greater being. ( which gives purpose to human suffering, among other things ). Viewing the world through the POV of a nerve, you never can understand what the whole body sees. Death is the experience of the sum of your life being sent back to the main entity to be processed. Which jives with concepts such as souls rising, silver thread, and life after death ( where you have no worry, no fear, part of god, etc ).

In earwa This concept of people as nerves also ties in with the way experiences are literally consumed and harvested by the ciphrang. poo poo I forgot what Kellus says about Heaven and God, but when talking about Prophets job is not to bring information from the god, but to gather it for him.

Maybe heaven/hell is a mind/body split. Some experiences are just consumed for the raw tactile experience, whereas some experiences are greater than that and judged to be "thoughts" so they go to heaven. edit: Aristotle breaks substace into 1) "the sensible, which is subdivided into the perishable, which belongs to physics" [ This is what Hell consumes ] "and the eternal, which belongs to "another science."" [ This is what Heaven consumes]

So basically demons are gods are the same - just feeding on different substance. For some reason being consumed by the gods is better ( or at least people believe it is )

The Inchori want to burn out the final nerves and starve the demons or something. Basically make the entity numb and unaware of their presence. i dunno like a cancer inside the main being. poo poo that is why they are constantly loving everything too. Cancer/virus injecting their DNA into all the other cells. poo poo aren't they even described as cancerous early in the books?

The nonmen are burned out cells/synapses - old and worn out and only the most powerful experiences can get through. the Cancer has also rendered them unable to reproduce.. Oh wait, and the inchori have already been through the rest of the body killing off all the other nerves right? But there was this last little patch they missed. Ok, so God is some dude on life support.

I know I'm rambling, it is the fever. of the flavor.

The no-god is basically the entity waking up, or gaining too much consciousness in earwa. Which probably is short for earwax, and this is all just some hoos down in hoosville dr. suess poo poo I don't know.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The WLW goes catatonic because Kellhus has somehow found a way to break free of prophecy, to exist outside his visions. WLW can't kill him, because he can only see the false future where he's killed him. Ditto the no-god, because he (may) destroy the outside by murdering the world the gods can't see him - if you're infinite, you can't conceive your end.

That bugged me a bit because making time flexible like that just seems to introduce unnecessary weirdness. But maybe its more just that Yatwer has imperfect understanding, right? Blind to the no-god? Not that we have like splitting timelines and poo poo.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 17, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

I was pacing the halls of Atrithau contemplating the knowledge of pure meaning when my senses were assaulted by a hideous Mark. Whirling I saw a velour-robed Schoolman. Impossible! As I summoned my wards the man said, "Yo momma made a pit of her womb so deep they call her Mom-Uirokas." Desperately I focused on the simple truth of the geometric point. But the sorcerer's chapped lips chuckled "Yo momma so stupid she thinks skin-spy can cover up her herpes" and I was confronted with the knowledge that my disgrace was anticipated in ancient counsels where men's honor was bound to the grace of their mothers. My world pitched as the nimil-chained wizard cried "Aurang left yo momma's house so ashamed and hosed up he ran up to me saying, 'who am I? what do you see??'" And I wept as I accepted the busting of my soul.

This poo poo is golden.

Kuiperdolin posted:

The No-God appears in a whirlwind and Bakker does this thing where the POV obliquely describes an Inchoroi technological device he does not understand (like the elevator in Golgoterrath or the Heron Spear which is apparently not a spear but some kind of beam weapon).

So some made the whirlwind - helicopter connection. I don't think there's more to it.
Yeah described as like a "black carapace" maybe... I was thinking more armored coffin type thing, Anyone read Julian May's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile series - they have these awesome meta-rigs that super enhance psionic powers. I pictured it like that. but gunship body seems like a good fit. Personally, I don't think its a helicopter, just because I visualized the effect as being loving massive like an actual tornado.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a really big rape helicopter. The Inchoroi have those.

or this. of course they have rape-copters. This is now my soundtrack for when the no-god wakes and is cruising around in his rape copter. The fact that its by the Revolting Cocks just makes it extra theme appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5du6e2q5E

semi-cranky no-god waking up and just wants everyone to STFU

I wanna tremble your earbballs
open your trembling earballs
were gonna make it all work out
Were gonna have a moment of silence now

world ends.

Poldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure Kelhus has calculated things so the last human soldier spears the last sranc in the chest just outside the gates of Golgotterath so Kelhus can hate-gently caress Aurang or something.

I hope we get to see someone finally kick kellhus right in the nuts

savinhill posted:

^^^ Yeah, I do remember that the 100 gods are blind to the NoGod. I like your humans as nerves/parts of a body analogy and reading your post made me realize that I can't remember certain stuff from the Great Ordeal, so I'm gonna have to reread that very soon, or, more likely, listen to the audiobook. Maybe I'll just do another relisten to the whole series, be a little closer that way to understanding all of this before the finale comes out.

Thanks. let me know if anything sticks out that might reinforce my theory ( or go against it ). How are the audio books?

I was trying to find the early descriptions of aurax / aurang...

So much black seed...

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Never realized the Shield of Sil is a stylized vagina before.

I picture it like this, but maybe with some dual helix DNA thing going on..

I can maybe do a uterus, but how do you get a vagina? ms paint ples.

For some reason I always think of Trogdor... S's and Consummate V's...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Still TGO spoilers:I rather wonder if mass sacrifice by way of Inchoroi nuke was a necessary step in Kellhus becoming untethered from prophecy like the No-God. Twice now we've had it all-but-stated that the process of activating the original No-God involved the destruction of the souls of human prisoners - and as a bonus, we know this through the Mandate, which means the knowledge is floating around outside the Consult.

Interesting - I hadn't thought about that. It seems like the dead they are using in those vignettes are trapped between life and hell somehow, right? It seems like Saubon is trapped that way when he dies from the nuke.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

To throw a spanner in the works: Saubon flashes back the Plains of Mengedda. During the battle he sees his own corpse, and when he dies he sees it from his corpse's perspective. I dont have the books to hand, but i think its the exact same scene.

"the soul that encounters him goes no further" which implies the No God has him. Im half convinces the Consult are trying to build their own afterlife, so Saubon is probably in for an unpleasant eternity.

Yeah that was what I was referring to - thanks for reminding me about those deaths going directly towards the No God. Interesting to think about them creating their own afterlife.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

Deep within the halls of Ishual I oversaw the birth of the latest Candidate. From the scents and issues of the pregnancy I had determined the sex of the boy. But when the child slid from the whale-mother it was at a time unanticipated by the evidence, and beneath the natal filth he wore a robe of thick cloth. Improbably, the child spoke. "Look here," he burbled, "buncha nerds so cloistered they think a clitoris is a property of the soul's will to become self-moving. Hey! You! You spend twenty years studying how passions move peeled-up faces?" And I saw in his bloodied face the words 'and yo cock so little they call you the Death of Girth.' I fell into the Probability Trance to explore the causal origins of this event, but everywhere I turned I saw a man with nimil-jeweled teeth hooting "They say an Anasurimbor will come at the end of the world, so I guess the Second Apocalypse goes down after three pumps". And I felt the Absolute escape me forever.

This is pretty amazing.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^^^ I love the discussion of prophets vs sorcerers that I think Esme has. One speaks his words, the other sings with his voice. Which perfectly leaves room for the Cishaurim and Kellhus (if he isn't a fraud) to escape damnation.

The certainty of damnation for the Consult does kind of come out of nowhere - I dont think I could tell you how Kellhus manages to figure it out, or how he deduces the workings of the Cishaurim.

Doesn't he read it from the face/actions/etc when Aurang (?) takes over esmenet in TWP? going off memory, but something like

Aurang: "we are a race of lovers"
Kullus: (sadly/knowingly ) And for that you are damned

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
ARCs of the unholy consult have been sent out. Here is one review of the next book: http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-unholy-consult-by-r-scott-bakker.html

quote:

The novel will be published on 6 July 2017 in the UK and on 11 July in the USA.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 11, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rime posted:

Shiiiiit. Two months will be a long rear end wait for what sounds like an epic.

I'm glad they aren't holding it for a November/Holiday release!

Cardiac posted:

So 450 pages.
That is basically only enough to cover the final battle, which is ok I guess.

I want more pages! The review seemed to indicate that this was final battle + a parallel fight ( thinking lord of the rings where you have the quest and the final battle proceeding at the same time, and impacting each other ). And that it was all covered well.

I'm super excited though.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

various cheeses posted:

Man I wish it was more pages though. I can't get enough of this series.

yeah - I think there will be 2 more books maybe? And who knows - this world is his little philosophy playground, so he might just keep writing endlessly.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

"Soft earth, plowed deep" or whatever. Neither active nor agentic.

Like doesn't her vag like suck the life out of some guy?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

Just got past the part where Saubon and his crew climb up on that redoubt or whatever it was and go down fighting an endless swarm of Sranc, so fuckin metal that scene was, wish it could be memorialized in a Frazzetta painting

yeah that scene can only be described, as you put it, as "Metal as gently caress". Aside from a Frazzetta painting, it should also be turned into an Iron Maiden song.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It ages him from pasty youth to callused man, while she goes from withered crone to young and firm. It's basically win-win

I'm gonna say going from 15 to 30 is a net loss for the guy.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

amazon posted:

This title will be released on July 25, 2017.

what is this crap.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddamn me for thinking spoilers were no big deal. I didn't see any of that poo poo coming.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

Ugh. I'm really sorry, man. It's just that none of my friends read this series so there was a lot to tlk about and no one to discuss it with, so I brought it here.

nah no worry man, no one's fault but my own :) I don't have the book yet and was trying to get a bit of idea of what happened! I usually don't really care about spoilers because it is rare that things go in such a completely crazy direction, but .. well.. yeah. can't wait to get the books.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I haven't finished it yet but I think he always had the third one planned, at least by the time The Judging Eye came out. He said the name of the third trilogy would be a spoiler.

"The Second Apocalypse"?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hmmm, you seem to be in fact carrying over a grudge from the Kingkiller thread, since nowhere did I argue that people who like Prince of Nothing do not like it.

I'm merely arguing that they like bad writing.

If I like it, that makes it good.

This fear of a perfect, all-knowing manipulator who makes mockery of free will just another facet of Bakker's tiresome doom-and-gloom. Peake in contrast makes the same topic for a good and thoughtful read.
Have you read through all of the books, even though you don't like them, and are now in this thread to.. what exactly? I'm really confused by your posting. You felt that introduction was good(?) or at least better. What do you like about the introduction, that you found lacking in later writing? I hear this argument alot, that books I like are "written terribly" or whatever. Which, sure, I get - but if you could be a bit more specific with your criticisms it would be helpful.

"World-building" is a moronic cargo cult concept. A milieu is only as interesting as how it's presented, in prose, verse, etc.

Bakker's prose is unremarkable at best, except for the immediate prologue which is unrepresentative of the whole book, so his "world-building" is correspondingly worth nothing.

"World-building" is a moronic cargo cult concept. A milieu is only as interesting as how it's presented, in prose, verse, etc.

How is it a cargo cult concept? That is a pretty specific comparison. And why moronic? having a depth of thought surrounding the world means that when I read it, I can appreciate minor asides, tidbits, and internal consistencies. They make the world more real for me. Is that not true for you?

A milieu is only as interesting as how it's presented, in prose, verse, etc.
That is like saying food is only as good as the way it is served. While true for many people, I would say that it is not the sole measure. Even a poorly played song can still be interesting, clever, sad, whatever. Sure the medium can be part of the message, but to claim it is the entirety of the message is to willfully close your eyes to the communication that is present. I mean, what if a story is translated from the original language, does it stop being interesting, even though you are clearly going to be missing some of the subtlety?

Here's an accurate, objective statement to pre-empt that: The Darkness that Comes Before is written ridiculously.
This would be acceptable if it was a cheesy comic book, but sadly this is not a great classic like Silver Age Superman or Savage Sword of Conan. It's like one of Guy Gavriel Kay's worst efforts.

It's a book about rape monsters from outer space. Trying to close a gate to hell. I think that his writing is perfectly acceptable. Beyond that - while I agree that line you picked out is cheesy, it did accurately convey what a pompous shallow and ultimately incompetent villian he was.

I expected you to actually describe Bakker's prose, but you simply defaulted to banalities.

...absolutely nothing else to his writing and the creeping dread stands out as merely a cheap trick.

well that is clearly not correct. Absolutely nothing? Try dialing that back a bit, unless you want to add "...to me" in there.

wrt cheap trick - Isn't that the medium we are talking about? If you hate certain conventions, and consider them cheap, then the medium clearly isn't for you. It's like me going into a club and saying "this 4/4 beat is such a cheap trick... and the way the music swells, and then drops off." Which is a valid opinion when you apply it to yourself I guess - but it isn't "cheap" or a "trick". It is literally the framework for the what we are communicating. Or going to a horror movie and complaining that "things jumping out at you are a cheap trick". Well, sure, I guess?

Readers are drawn to Bakker because of his prose. If they were really into just the intellectual content of the books, they'd be reading philosophy and science instead of overlong fantasy novels.

I'm drawn to both, and the way he uses his personal philosophy as backdrop for the conflicts that emerge. I mean, I can watch Stargate Universe, and marvel at how large the universe actually is at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive at any level, and in fact enhance each other. I'm sorry I just don't get your point here.

This hopeful mystification ("greater than the sum of its parts") is the kind of thing Bakker mocks.

How so. The books discuss how what we see is but a fragment of reality - and that when all those fragments are linked you actually have something much greater. So, "mock" is a strange word to use. At best I would say he discuss the implications, and how characters react in a world such as he describes. Are you confusing certain characters view points with Bakkers?

I mean spells are literally a mix of message and medium, I mean like literally. The words must be spoken, the thoughts must be maintained, and when that happens you get miracles.

I'm noting the irony that I seem to have understood Bakker than his fan.

One could say that I'm like the series's hero, Anälsyringe Milhoüse, among the worldborn.

But that isn't ironic. Irony requires humor at some level, and I'm afraid your situation has none to offer. It isn't even clever tbh. I mean that is about as ironic as:

"wow I beat you at basketball, and you like to play basketball more than I do! While I spend all day telling you how poo poo basketball is. wow that is so ironic!!!"

What would be ironic is you mockingly comparing yourself to a protagonist who spent a thousand pages fighting for something, confident in his ability and superior intellect. And he ends up a pile of salt.

As an aside I think Anälsyringe is a pretty accurate description of you so far. You are like the lube that gets the poo poo flowing, amirite? Or a good enema. I mean no one ever thinks to thank the enema. And I do appreciate it, and thank you for it.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 30, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malcolm XML posted:

then got tilted when that forum ate a big post

what does that mean?

Also please post the title!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished the book - I did a skim read, and mostly agree with the comments I've seen here. I'm not sure how I feel about how Sorweel was taken over / killed. I feel like I had a lot invested in him as a character, and just chopping him out like that ( starting with when he starts seeing like the WLW ) bugged me. I'm also a bit tired of Cnaiur telling us what a bad rear end he is fwiw. Although I guess marching up to the no-god is pretty hard core. I'd always expected him to be piloting the no-god-chopper. I'm still confused on a bunch of stuff, mostly relating to larger world issues ( eg: what role does hell play, how do the gods not see little Kelmomas, etc ).

So in that final scene, it looks like the 4 horned god takes over Kellhus / Kellus becomes him. And then somehow Kelmomas breaks that? Which in turn frees up the skinspy who salts Kellus. tbh I have a hard time with our god like being being taken by surprise like that. but w/e.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

What made you think addressing every post was a good idea.

That is impossible to read and respond to.

Just take it one question at a time, you can do it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

the trump tutelage posted:

I've hated Kel from the jump so I've got mixed feelings about him playing such a decisive role in the finale and then biting it.

I'm curious how the next books will go. I don't see how another Ordeal could possibly be mounted. Maybe extreme divine intervention now that the gods have seen the No-God.

In my ideal world, Achamian just picks up the discarded Heron Spear and ends the No-God in the prologue and the rest of the books deal with the question of damnation without returning to the Consult well. I love the world but I'm a little tired of the sranc and the Consult; I don't know what more will come from them.

I'm pretty sure he isn't dead. After reading the other comments in this thread, and rereading parts of the final dialog from the Decapitant mage - sounds like he either jumped to the other Decapitant, or something similar. Or I don't know, jumped into hell. Or maybe grabbed Serwas soul as she was dying and jammed it in the body ( which is why Kellus seems to confused coming out of being possessed. I mean do we see him stutter ever in the entire series before this? )

On rereading the ending - a few things popped out regarding the possession going on. It looked to me like Kellus made some sort of pact with the 4 horned god, allowing the possession - perhaps promising him the world in exchange for safety/kingdom in hell. And then does something to kick the God out. I mean I didn't see any actual activity that Kelmomas did to interrupt the possession. There is also a weird sentence where one of the Mutilated acts like he is answering a question about Kelmomas, even though no one has asked one. As if he were carrying on a separate conversation with Kellhus that the others were not hearing.

Once booted out, the 4 horned god then possesses Cnaiur, and is pissed as hell trying to find Kellhus, who betrayed him. He cannot see Kellus or the no-god.

Why can the Gods see Kellhus but not Kelmomas? Is it because he was destined to be / is the no-god? What part of Kellus can the Gods NOT see? They clearly can attack him, etc. When we look at the two failed attempts on Kellhus' life by the WLW, Kelmomas was a variable both times. Is Kellus actually the God of Gods? Or is that just bullshit he tells people. I'm not sure - I've always taken Kellhus' explanation to people like Proyas or Akka as being "true".

Something that has always been inconsistent to me - Kellhus ( and dunyain in general ) spend a lot of time pontificating and explaining the "Truth" but there is never motivation to do that. If acting in character, every word would be manipulation. But I get that the author needs some mechanism to explain this stuff. With that said - I cringe everytime I read two Dunyain talking, and they do this long rear end explanation for the other's actions and then say "...But you knew that already". It's like.. motherfucker if he knew that already why you spend 25 minutes talking about it. I mean shouldn't they just like look at each other and be able to communicate by like the way an eyebrow moves, and their arm pits stink or something? I get it is a necessary convention, but I'd appreciate him changing it up a bit. And of course Death Swirling Down. I like to think he put those in meaning to go back through, do a search and replace, and fix that poo poo before publishing. But just forgot or something. I'll blame the lack of editing a bit for that too.

I'm to go back and reread some of the earlier descriptions of the no-god. I know the 4 horned god was involved there as well.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memnaelar posted:

Well, here's my alternative take on who he's talking about :

He's actually talking about Kellhus. Ajokli might think he's talking about him when he rips his face off, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's actually talking Kellhus - hiding from his fellow Dunyain within the other Decapitant via the Daimos... That's a lot of D's. Maybe that Mutilated is aware, before the others, that the real Kellhus is somehow no longer within that face and is about to say something when death comes swirling down.

I can see that, but "siblings" would be a weird choice of words when they use "Brother" the rest of the time.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol at writing speculative theories in place of anything actually insightful.

This writing is awful. "Her delicate face crushed into instants and flayed across an age" is just non-sensical. It's a kind of Rothfussian thing where it sounds very evocative and weighty except when you think about it for just a moment.

Not at all, the character speaking there is basically insane to start with - so we are getting some pretty stream of consciousness poo poo. I think he's also being burned alive at this point.

The nonmen are basically insane. As they get older they lose their memories and their sense of self. The set up here is the the more violent the memory, the more it is remembered, which allows them to retain their sense of self. So we are talking about a murder this character did, and how it both is extremely painful, but also a cherished memory in that it anchors him.

When he speaks of the face being crushed into instants, I'm reminded of these little shard and fragments - painful yet so important. Like glass.

And flayed across an age speaks to me of how these memories are hollow ( like the skin of something ), and also how thin it is stretched - referring to a single event of critical importance, but almost like a blanket being stretched across this vast chasm of time. I'm not saying I'm correct - I can see a few different interpretations, but it doesn't register as just random nonsense.

I mean, you might not like it, or find it too wordy or even just plain stupid - but it isn't nonsense. At least I don't see it that way.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
is just non-sensical. It's a kind of Rothfussian thing where it sounds very evocative and weighty except when you think about it for just a moment.

So you're just saying that it makes sense, but it's just genre idiocy. Your defence is a belaboured explanation of how the sci-fi alien works instead of, you know, something on aesthetic grounds. Also lol at how desperately Rothfussian your reading gets at the end (what does 'a blanket being stretched across this vast chasm of time' actually mean?).

And it's more of Bakker's tiresome doom and gloom.

Your criticism was that it was "non-sensical" and that is sounded "evocative... except when you think about it for a moment"

It sounds like you are abandoning your position that it is "non-sensical", which is a good start. I think i demonstrated that when you think about it.. there is additional meaning to be conveyed. They aren't just random words tacked on.

Beyond that, until you take the time to respond to my previous posts, I think I'm done with you. Your arguments aren't particularly interesting, and when you do bring up the odd good point, you lack the ability ( or willingness ) to make it a real conversation.

ps: I'm also pretty amused you brought up some 90 year old dude's comments about massmedia from the 70s. He was speaking about mass media ( television / movies ), and looking for a message in the media, from a sociology point of view. So if we want to apply his theory to this book, it would equate this book to all other books published in this manner. Which isn't what you are saying.

And he might well be correct there - the fact that we read a book separately, come together to discuss it online, have access to the author via internet, etc - those are probably more significant issues than why the humans eating Sranc had black semen as well. But even within this, he wouldn't say the content had NO meaning. And as a reader of poetry he certainly would not have agreed to discard the content of his favorite poems.

You are taking his work completely out of context, and I suspect you have no idea what he was talking about. I'm not saying I do, but even a casual reading of a few articles indicates you are full of poo poo. I mean, sure prove me wrong - but if you can't discuss Figure/Ground as part of that explanation, don't even bother.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 2, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Book chat: I disliked Proyas' smug certainty in the original trilogy, I definitely liked how his arc ended in this series. I felt a little bit the opposite about Saubon, I enjoyed his mercenary adoption of Kellhus in The Prince of Nothing, and wish his ultimate betrayal for the cause had been a bit later in The Aspect Emperor.

What is the etiquete on spoiler tagging? Like, do we keep it up for a month or two?

Yeah I liked how that played out as well. One of the better twists. So.. was he alive at the end? I think I read something about it right before the Sylvendi sac the camp. I thought Saubons betrayal was about as awesome as it could get - it is actually pretty far along though isn't it? Like second to last major battle.

wrt Ajokli - he is there fighting in the first apocalypse isn't he? I seem to recall one of the kings or something talking about him. Maybe seeing 4 horns, or lighting flashing like 4 horns around him or something?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rime posted:

There's a fairly long segment where Moengus strangles Proyas to death so that he isn't burned alive, harangues his father about it, and is rebuked for it.

dammit you are right! I remember that now.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think that was in some version of Achamian remembering the Celmomian prophecy. I feel like it wasn't called out in the original trilogy, though, since Bakker probably hadn't thought this stuff up yet.

I skimmed through the first trilogy last night + judging eye. I'll do WLW tonight - I can't find my copy of TGO.. I think it is in that one though. I should grab a PDF rip of these books, just for searching for stuff. I feel like Bakker really should have thought of this stuff, since he must have known for a while now the no-god would be back, and what that would mean for kelljus / gods / etc.

Phanatic posted:

Read the entry on the Decapitants.

The section on Ajokli had a bit about how he was always trying to sneak into the world, or something. I don't remember that from earlier docs, but I could be mistaken.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think we can all agree on one thing:

It's all Likaro's fault

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corvinus posted:

While Kellhus is inhumanly competent, he's not infallible. Bakker's AMA confirmed a few things about Kellhus' deficiencies/blind spots and depicting a hyper-competent being that seemingly overcomes all obstacles, only to get unexpectedly shanked (like father, like son), feels thematically appropriate.

hey can you link the AMA?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And I like reading Lamp's posts because they're intelligent and interesting.
wow really? I mean, I feel like he just makes poo poo up, avoids any arguments he is losing and calls people names for no reason. Don't get me wrong - I'm down for hate reading, I mean. I post in literally 3 threads, and 2 of them are about making GBS threads on GRRM. But Lampwhatever just seems like a troll more than anything.

With that said - I'm glad you aren't being heavy handed. Appreciate that.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Forum rule is six months after a new release but normally I just edit in spoiler tags when it's reported.
Cool thanks! I'll spoiler stuff within those constraints

Sephyr posted:

Alright, that Q&A actually shed a fair bit of light on stuff, but I wish it had been better portrayed in the text itself. I feel Bakker juggles away from some POV characters to preserve pet mysteries, which is fair, but also creates needless confusion (not to mention encouraging all kinds of speculation).

I even enjoy his bit about the supposed Dunyain weakness of being so consumed by logic that their souls are actually feeble. Maybe emotions are the thing that gives your will proper intensity.

That said, I wonder why the Consult even had any issue clearing Ishual once they sent in he Quya sorcerers. Just do a Cant of Compulsion on one monk to infiltrate and murder the others, or to give you a map of the catacombs, rinse and repeat. Actually, I think other than being mentioned a couple of times, no one actually uses Compulsion in the books despite how tremendously useful it would be.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

He's the first poster here.

Hey thanks for posting this stuff. I've read through some of it and letting it gel. I will say that Kellhus being "dead" doesn't really mean poo poo considering he's bounced between hell and what not, and claimed to be a God ( although that last part might have been propaganda I guess ). It is interesting to think that Kellus has been possessed ever since the TT, or since he came back from Hell. Remember when the non-men tested him? Wonder what they saw.

side thought: I wonder if the nogod box had to like.. jam poo poo into people every time to test them. Cuz that think would have been pretty nasty afterwards. I got the impression that the line with slaves for testing moved at a decent clip. And it is suggested that the box killed anyone who didn't qualify. curious to know more about that I guess.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustang posted:

I just finished the first trilogy, I love the setting but I have to say, I thoroughly dislike just about every character. Achamian is the most sympathetic but even he irritates me when he pushes his hate aside to be in awe of Kelhuss. I'm eagerly looking forward to Kelhuss getting his poo poo pushed in at some point.

Both Esmenet and Serwe are super annoying and unfortunately they're like the only two female characters other than the Emperors mom, who is also pretty lovely.

Yeah I wasn't sure who I hated more, Kellhus or Achamian. I liked Cnaiur. That "we're all gonna die" speech he gives during the defense of the city is pretty baller.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

. Is his soul hidden in the second head he carries? Or is there any connection to the second instant we have of missing souls, the Nonman Erratic that gets killed by the Ciphrang?

Does this happen when Iokus is managing those demons? I thought he like pulled it off before it could feast or something. I'll need to re-read if that was the one.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustang posted:

Kelhuss's children are just an insufferable as he is, I'm hoping that either the consult or Achamian manages to wipe their whole line out of existence.

Kind of weird reading books and hoping the protagonist loses.

I always thought Achamian was the protaganist. Too bad he's a libcuck.

#MAGA #MakeApocalypseGreatAgain

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustang posted:

I read it as Kelhuss as the protagonist since he's trying to save the world or whatever.

His kids almost as annoying as he is, kayutas is an arrogant prick, kelmomas is a psychopath, and moenghus is an insane mute bodybuilder.

It's just grating how everyone literally worships the guy as a god. Achamian gets cucked by him and teaches him the gnosis for some dumb reason.

yeah I agree it is grating. I guess that makes it a bit fulfilling to see him betraying everyone. Interesting to go back and rethink this as him being increasingly possessed. I never would have gotten that from the book text alone.

The kids are all one dimensional except maybe Serwe and Kelmomas, just because we get more time spent with them. I like Werwe ok -she's interesting enough, and I wanted good things to happen to her, but her death was pretty baller - can't ask for more than that. I'll take this opportunity to bitch again about Sorweel's death. I would have liked a bit more of the transition between him and the WLW - it's sort of like he just disappears and would have been nice to have some closing thoughts from him. I felt we got pretty invested with him, and it felt more like he got "written out" of a show, rather than had a natural ending. Not sure what I'm looking for here - maybe just some more internal monologue about the change? I mean was he sort of just a passive passenger on a Being John Malkovich experience? They went into all this detail about his magic helm and how that changed him, blah blah blah and then just killed him right afterwards.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was reading through the AMA, and this struck me / bummed me out:

"So for over 30 years now I've lived with the certainty that I would die before completing The Aspect-Emperor. For me, in a powerful sense, the story ends here with the death of Kellhus and the birth of the No-God. I've scribbled down countless ideas and scenes pertaining to The No-God in the interim, but I have nothing resembling the thousandfold thought born in that teenager's fantasy/philosophy besotted head all those years ago. No grand plan. For the first time in my life I find myself a 'discovery writer.'"

So while there might be more, I think it is interesting that the waking of no-god was the end game for him. It was always planned, and everything moved towards that. It feels like it should be viewed as a completed work. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Where is my happy ending lol?!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I could have used less depravity in the early marching bits, but I liked this. I'm also ok with ending it here, he obviously found the Anasurimbor parts of the first apocalypse the most interesting (almost no Seswatha dreams of the later southern fights and defeat of the no-God), a repeat of that in the first two series was good.

I could have done with less eating dead men's cocks and then thinking about how great they tasted later. I think that was the first time I've been seriously squicked out in this series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

Unless the whole moral of the story is "nothing matters lol", which is apropos to the zeitgeist but not something I think deserves 6 books to get to.

Does the ending qualify as a weirdly literal twist on "Deus ex Machina"?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

C'mon, who doesn't like sausages?

Man, he's spent 6 books describing just how bad everyone's junk smells. I think even an oral sex scene would have made me retch at this point. But to have someone do a "fava beans and chianti" face thinking about the dead mens pubis (plural?) he'd been feasting on .. holy gently caress no. Turns my stomach.

I guess that pic also is a fine answer to my "where is my happy ending" comment lol.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 13, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The conceit of the appendix suggests there are future historians who wrote down the details of the great ordeal, so.

God damnit, this is why I don't like murder mysteries. I'm terrible at thinking of stuff like this. I just eat whatever the author feeds me.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Certainly he left a dropped laser/spear, Achamian continuing to act as a new Seswatha, mystical miracle babies born and killed on either side of the the No-God's rebirth, Moenghus with the Scylvendi, the No-God's seed's object of creepy maternal obsession still potentially alive, and Kellhus' dunyain grandson still running around the wilderness as future plot devices able to fight the apocalypse even with a devastated three seas and almost all sorcerers dead.

On the subject of sorcery, no chorae on the sarcophagus this time means it should have been vulnerable to sorcery, right?
Yeah there is definitely the makings of a future trilogy. If this were a regular series, I'd consider this the end of the second act ( or something ). What worried me was that this was as far as he thought things through. I mean this entire time, he hasn't really thought past this point? Unless in his mind, it is just an endless repetition of the same tale over and over, in which case I get it. Just not what I was expecting.

edit: wrt sarcophagus, yes it should be vulnerable, and the Ordeal might have missed their one chance to attack it and end it quickly. Certainly would have been a better play than how they all ended up getting salted / hosed by sranc.

edit2: wrt kelmomas: Someone pointed out that he has two souls packed in that thing, which is a wildcard. I'm not sure how Kelmomas' "mommy issues" would play out - did the original no-god show any aspect of NauCayuti? I always saw the no-god as being much like a child, newly awakened consciousness (what am I / what do you see / etc ). Like I'm not sure the no-god is really out there trying to gently caress people up. But rather all of those things ( no new souls / births ) are a side effect of this higher level of consciousness. Which makes me wonder if every soul that runs into him becomes part of him. Which really isn't that bad an ending ( part and particle of god ) rather than just wheat in the granary.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maytag posted:

I could've used a thousand more pages of Ark exploration and Ciphrang wrangling, despite being unsure if l enjoyed a particular POV.
Vile angel.
I know right? He talked about doing short stories, and we got one from the non-men. Maybe a day in the life of a ciphrang?