Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Suikoden 2 is so good, I've never even played a Suikoden game before until this year but since it was only $2.50 I said why not and its incredible, and it has held up really well thanks to the mostly 2d art so it doesn't look awful even though it's an early PSone game.

Suikoden 2 was actually a late-era PS1 game! It came out months before the PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Physical copies of Suikoden 2 are pretty rare. I purchased mine from Electronics Boutique back in the day, kind of on a fluke, as I had no desire to play Suikoden 1 due to its (amazing) cover.

I was happy to see Suikoden 2 on PSN as it's a solid game.

To be fair literally everything on that cover is in fact in the game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The weird thing is that the same people that liked Inquisition also hated DA2, despite the fact that Inquisition was DA2: The Not-MMO

Inquisition has a ton of design differences from DA2. It's not really that surprising. They're closer to each other than DA:I and DA:O but still pretty different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Yo Arc the Lad PS2 is the next PS4/PS2 Classic. Comes out Tuesday.

Which one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That has the same issues that P4. Since those links aren't tied with the plot, you can have the team act reasonably on their links but as idiots in the main plot.

... except the Male route also has S-Links with party members, just not all party members, so it has the same problem except it's more poorly written?

The points where the characters change in the plot is there in both the male and female routes and the fact they have S. Links that don't change the plot is as well. In fact the female protagonist route has more differences in that it actually does allow an S.Link to minorly change the plot while the male route doesn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Answer is a dumb meaningless add-on and actively is both unfun to play and adds a tedious meaningless 'closure' to the ending that undermines the message of the game and also doesn't satisfy the people who wanted a slapdash deus ex machina thrown in to undo the ending entirely. It's the worst of all worlds and the game is better off for not having it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wild Arms 1's graphics have aged like butt (more the battle graphics than the map graphics) but it has some pretty good dungeon design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BoFIII's insane diversions are terrible and own at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Aw man it's 4? Thanks for nothing Reddit.

BoF3 is pretty, has great music, a cool catman, and a weird fairy game. It's the most anime PS1 game, and it's great.

How can you say that when Xenogears is on sale right now?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ruggington posted:

why does this come out 3 days before xcom 2

why is february doing this to me

February is like "hey, nice wallet you got there, mind if we take it?" month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Fire Emblem Fates and its expansions/Collector's Editions, Street Fighter V and an absolute shitton of expensive-as-gently caress controllers for it, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Far Cry Primal, Xcom 2, Mighty No. 9, the 3DS version of Mega Man Legacy Collection (and physical versions for all platforms) all drop in February, and then the wallet hurt continues in March with Twilight Princess HD, The Division, Hitman which is at least episodic now so you can get it on it for only $15, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. :sonia:

Also more niche stuff like Project X-Zone, the Popolocrois/Harvest Moon crossover, Gravity Rush Remastered, the Dying Light expansion pack, ect.

Even just the stuff I know I'm going to want to play (Fire Emblem, Gravity Rush, X-COM) are gonna take a huge chunk out of my wallet and that's ignoring the possibility of stuff I'm interested in but probably not at launch. (I like Harvest Moon games and Popolocrois is usually at least an okay time.)

katkillad2 posted:

That's actually a great idea, thanks for mentioning it.

It needs to be redeemed by march 16th

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I think that means I can redeem it Feb 29th and get both February and March PS+ games and delay buying a subscription even longer if the PS+ games continue to be poo poo.

Fair enough! I thought you meant you were saving it for another time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Was Jedi Starfighter any good? I was pretty into Rogue Squadron but I can't remember that one at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Life is Strange is excellent. Some people complain about the ending but I think playing it through in one shot makes it really clear the ending was kind of inevitable.

It's not really a cheerful game though. Like it has funny dialogue in places but beneath that is a lot of downer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"(old game) should always be (price that is $5 less than current price)" seems like a hard and fast rule of the universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterAlex posted:

Would basing my expectations of Dark Cloud 2 on my experience with Dark Cloud (1) be reasonable? Is it in the vein of "more of the same" like most series games?

Yes. It's just a refined version of the original. It has new features and such but the core concept is similar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked Rogue Legacy enough that I did a level 1 run when it came out on PC but I honestly have had no urge to revisit it since then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Hmmm... Lego Diablo...

I think you're on to something because grinding kills of an adorable Baal for a super rare moustache seems like the next step.

Build awhile and listen...

This would make an amount of money roughly somewhere between Most Of Money and All Of Money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would not look at anything Ultimax until you've finished P4. At least one thing is a major spoiler just by existing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Atelier Escha & Logy Plus appears to have been delisted from the PSN store. The DLC still comes up but the base game is gone.

That's really freakin' odd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if it's related to your version of Vita or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

does the ps4 version of the digimon game have anything over the vita version to justify the extra $20?

Apparently the Vita version is missing some DLC and voice acting!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't. It is on Steam now. It's really not a good game in the slightest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What's wrong with it? It looks like a less goofy Onechanbara

It's basically trying to be an arena character action game but with awkward stiff gameplay and very little content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Whoa. Shiren the Wanderer 5 is getting an English enhanced release on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4) in July.

gently caress yes. I was not expecting this but will gladly buy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

what type of game?

If you've ever played any game with Mystery Dungeon in the title you know the game. Shiren isn't the creator of the genre but it's very close to it. (The creator was a Dragon Quest spinoff that evolved into Shiren.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rirse posted:

Would say this means a flash sale, but we just had one last week. Rockstar and Atlus (which of course are on sale this week) feel like they should just permanently drop the prices on their stuff at this point.

Something that is on sale will inherently get more attention than something that is merely low price. That is why Atlus does that. It keeps putting niche games in the eyes of people browsing the weekly deals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Galakz is simply not enjoyable by the wide majority of people who will play it. You have to work to get anywhere in it and theres only one real mission type so its boring as gently caress on top of being frustrating

Why is that a bad thing? There are a ton of PS+ games that hit that mark including big budget ones. The "work to get anywhere" thing at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

I have a question on PS1 classics

How long should I wait for a PS1 game to be on the Store before I get the Japanese version? Some of the games have been on the Japanese store for years (Rival Schools, Ape Escape) and have yet to appear on here.

There is no reliable answer. PS1 games don't follow much in the way of rhyme or reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

What a surprise that in the year of the Trump, the Trumpiest game also wins.

But Hyperdimension Neptunia wasn't on the list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

You have to specifically check out with PayPal. Try that if you haven't.

I tried and no go. If I try to order 2 it says We can't apply this coupon until you reach the minimum order total. and if I try to order 3 it says We can't apply this coupon to your order.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

When your fetish is ill-fitting swimsuits you need to do everything you can to satisfy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Is the version of Symphony of the Night that's in Dracula X Chronicles acceptable or am I better off buying the original

It's technically the best version of the game but has a new translation some people dislike. It's perfectly fine as a version to get assuming you don't mind taking the 10~ minutes it takes to unlock it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Also worth noting is if you're playing on Vita/PSTV the PS1 classic is your only option.

This isn't true, I have DCX on my Vita as we speak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How is Beyond: Two Souls? If I liked Heavy Rain and Until Dawn will I like it? My fiancee and I like to co-op those kind of choose your own adventures

If you liked Heavy Rain you'll probably at least enjoy Beyond.

The original PS3 version had a non-linear storytelling method which honestly kinda sucked. To my understanding the PS4 version allows you to play chronologically and if so you should do it that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've said it before but Evil Within feels like a weird game that came out before RE4 and of which RE4 was the polished sequel to. It's so weird how it feels like a regression of RE4 in a ton of basic ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, Watch_Dogs had some cool stuff. Early on playing nonlethally was totally a valid option and it was possible to finish missions entirely through hacking puzzles, sometimes even without going into the building. That fades about midway through the game where everything gets lazier and lazier but the early parts of the game actually have some cool gameplay stuff and you can tell where they ran out of budget/ideas.

The story is complete rear end from start to finish though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rantAK posted:

Is that Bayonetta port for ps3 any good? I remember hearing bad things about it when it came out.

It's the worst version of the game by far. It's playable but has all kinds of framerate issues. If you have no choice it's a playable version of the game but the Wii U and 360 versions are far superior.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest the "high school dating sim" line has gotten kind of tiring. Persona 4 exists. It is not a dating sim. You can, in fact, go through the entire game including all the character's storylines without it becoming a romantic thing. It's a game set in high school (which is pretty anime) but it is entirely possible for someone to enjoy it without descending into the ironic-unironic-ironic arguing about waifus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Thinking of buying some games on sale:

Digimon (sounds like I should just get the Vita version and play on my PSTV)
Gravity Rush Remastered
Yakuza 5
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Persona 4: DAN
Dungeon Travelers 2 (heard it was a good if fanservicey game)

Any of these I should buy over the others?

Digimon is a solid JRPG overall.
Gravity Rush is fun but very short, ends on a cliffhanger, and is a very obvious Vita port. Better than the Vita version though.
Yakuza 5 is overall solid.
DT2 is good but 'fanservicy' is putting it lightly.

If I had to pick one I'd pick Digimon.

• Locked thread