Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you know why they are being so stupid about tracking? It's really bizarre that they've gone over 6 months since they had their mail working normally.

A lot of mail between the US and Japan goes in the cargo hold of passenger flights and when those dried up it seemed like they just suspended mail rather than accept mail with a delivery estimate of “five days to who knows when.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

On one hand I want to give this whole ALT thing a shot since it seems both interesting and a viable road to moving to Japan, but on the other hand I've never done any kind of teaching job and I'd rather not gently caress up kids views of Western people just cause I'm a huge fuckup.

You seem to have some self-awareness so you’re in the 95th percentile already.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

The whole Japanese bath and toilet game is so far ahead of everyone else, it's a testament to how much Japanese companies hate making money that they don't have a global monopoly on bath/toilet fixtures. If I ever leave Japan I am definitely going to figure out how to set up a waterproof shower/bath enclosure and a just in time hot water heater.

Tankless hot water heaters are already a thing you can get in many parts of the world, though they kind of require gas heat and are extremely expensive to retrofit if the house was plumbed with a conventional water heater.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Can't think of a better end to the entire boondoggle than this:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1369333409475162116?s=20

lol :rip:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I wonder what is going to happen with all those people that were reselling tickets

Scalpers can burn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rick posted:

I have to fill out a form like this every year in the US, but I work at a company with several million in yearly private donations and it could just be some condition some lovely person put on money, it's really hard to tell.

Financial disclosure programs usually happen after someone got busted either embezzling or taking bribes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

I've never seen rules about body piercings at onsens.

Maybe he gets to be the guy who inspires Japan's next wacky sign! :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

The last house in California without AC was built in the 1950s so I find this statement shocking.

cite sources please

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Faces are for business. In my personal life, my profile photo is a pizza with sunglasses.

Hey you could have asked before ganking my high school yearbook photo. <:mad:>

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Wasn't there that Idol who got doxxed by a stalker because he managed to derive her train station from the reflection on her eyeball?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50000234

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

if she has Disney photos then she's insane

This one may have a lot of empirical evidence to back it up and not just for ladies. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Even some of the reservation required ones you can make a reservation at the station right before it leaves, think of it as "assigned seat" rather than "rigid advanced planning."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

there's literally a walkthrough of basically every single station in Japan where some guy just goes all around the escalators and just kind of shows what it looks like

for posterity I guess or something

Route planning if you're trying to do one of those "ride all the lines" speed runs over a weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

magikid posted:

I get being from America and being like "wow, Japan has actual transportation" and all, but what a boring-rear end day.

You can make it a sport:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_Challenge

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

they're both inferior to other burgers you can get in japan although why tourists would eat hamburgers in japan kind of baffles me unless they're from elsewhere in asia

If you're somewhere foreign for a long time it's fun to see what their interpretation of what you have at home is though going to a global chain kind of defeats the purpose a lot of times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

One of my coworkers was a former pro sumo and it takes a lot more than fatness to succeed! Goons could not endure the extreme sempai/kohai caste system.

Most of those guys can do the splits, which is a challenge for anyone who hasn't trained up, including the standard issue North American fattie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i ain't reading that disasterpiece

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RIP Sonny Chiba. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wasn't expecting that but I'm not surprised either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Huh, when I put "US Covid Cases" into Bing, it decided to show me Washington state COVID cases instead. This is what I get for Binging things.

Bing up your rear end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

I listened to Haruki Murakami's book on the gas attacks (despite his more usual weird work this was a series of interviews with survivors or their family members) with some context/details of events for context.

Basically a handful of cult believers brought packets of sarin gas wrapped in plastic bags/newspaper and left them in train cars, puncturing them with the tips of umbrellas before getting off the train. Then anyone left on the train car got to breath that in, one train station employee picked up one to dispose of it (he died IIRC), and at least one got pushed out of the train into the station (causing deaths in the station).

This report from CNAS is also very good, they interviewed several of the cultists before their executions: https://www.cnas.org/publications/reports/aum-shinrikyo-insights-into-how-terrorists-develop-biological-and-chemical-weapons

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

That’s really weird because I can load my suica card with my Canadian card without even being in Japan. I add a dollar here and there every few months when I’m bored :q:

Ahh, well I’ll have to figure out what the paperwork is then. I was hoping it would be more lax if it’s prescribed but that makes sense.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

It's easy, one of the people I went with last February had to get the permit for his adhd meds and it was a snap to do over the internet. Five extra minutes at customs at Narita to show the inspector the permit and the pill bottle and he was good to go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well, pushed the cancel button on my flight. I was prepared and committed but it still sucks to see May disappear.

Still excited about seeing how we're looking come October/November, thanks for the weather/climate suggestions :)

:rip: but good call.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

yes, just don't start a fire and/or stab ppl

Good advice for much of life, really.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Realistically the vast majority of jobs that (white) foreigners do and the kinds of companies we work for means we can generally avoid all of the poor work/life balance that a lot of Japanese people endure, if desired. Even the shittiest English teacher dispatch companies may treat their gaijins like dirt and pay them like 3 million yen a year, yet they're also not requiring them to stay in the office until 9PM every night. Sure there are some exceptions--starting your own business, law, some roles in finance, IT crunch--but those jobs often have poor work/life balance outside of Japan too. It's mostly the "black" SMOs in Japan that have the semi-mandatory ridiculous work hours you hear about, and those usually aren't the kinds of companies that would hire any Westerners at all.

What's an SMO in this context?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

I think the biggest winners of the pandemic are Japan youtubers. I've seen like 3 youtubers get free nights in ridiculously nice hotels recently. Like hotels my tech salary couldn't afford without significant savings and one would be like a year's savings.

Not to pry into your compensation but what hotel costs a year's pay?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

I said a year's savings not a year's pay, but Chris Broad got comped a night in a $12k a night room. Technically a thing I could afford, but that's basically the cost of putting solar panels on my house last year.

Ah okay, sorry for misunderstanding. That makes sense; the priciest hotel room I've personally seen the inside of (didn't stay) was $20k/night US and there are some that go up to $100k but I didn't think Japan had any properties that hit that level.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Presumably these are the same people who would've screamed when wearing a seatbelt became mandatory.

A lot of them did and a number of the baby boom generation still whine about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spiderbot posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my partner is learning Japanese and wants to practice reading kanji, and he's recently started to get into cooking. Is there a Japanese equivalent of Jamie Oliver/ Delia Smith etc. who writes cookery books for learner cooks?

Ask also in the Japanese language thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954871

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Iymarra posted:

Cool, but do SUICA cards work on every line inside the station? Like, if I'm going from a station at senso-ji temple to say, the closest station near electric town at akihabara and it goes through x line with two changes, does SUICA cover that or is it likely that I'd need to grab a single ticket for one part of that, or use a different card?

Suica works on everything in Tokyo except a couple of bus lines and they may have gotten them moved over by now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leather fedora posted:

But is it opening to tourists yet? I thought they were still only letting in students and workers.

No tourists yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It'll either be a complete shitshow or nowhere near as crowded as usual since China's borders aren't opening anytime soon, so that's 40% of the tourist volume missing right off the bat.

It was amazing how short the lines were everywhere in early February 2020 with the complete lack of tourism from China.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

SK has a registration thing now where you pay money to get an authorization that then allows you to travel "visa free", which is a pretty fun way to impose visas on everyone and collect some bucks without actually having to change the treaties or whatever. Wouldn't be surprised if Japan did something similar.

The US (ESTA) and EU (ETIAS) started similar poo poo a few years ago, this is just how international travel is going to be for a while now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Some guy came in shortly before COVID and posted literally that, basically that he was a 32 year old virgin who is obsessed with anime and Japan and he asks people to call him "[his name] chan", plus iirc additional embarrassing details. He just posted asking to be banned from SA since you can't delete accounts, but it looks like he was banned and then reregistered? since he doesn't have a "BANNED" note next to his avatar. He made a lot of oddly childish but not particularly bad posts, but just the type of stuff you'd expect a shy, nerdy 14 year old to post.

Autobans don't change your avatar for a while now. They used to, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I always choose to fly in/out of HND even if it’s a little more expensive because I can’t be assed to do NRT again.

Being super jetlagged always makes the monorail ride seem more fun than it actually is, and I always associate that loopy and hazy monorail ride with the awesome feeling of realization that I’m finally back in Japan.

E: Oh huh I just remembered I have to decide whether I want to bother with trying to get the drug form for my concerta prescription, or just do an ADHD drug free holiday. Anyone gone through this? Is it a huge hassle?

I’m googling that methylphenidate under 2g is permissible, and mine is 54mg so I could easily bring in enough for my 21 day trip, but the thought of going to prison for some miscommunication makes me want to look into the yakkan shoumei anyway. Have a long time to figure this out at least.

One of the guys I went with in February 2020 did the yakkan shoumei for his adhd meds and it turned around in about two days over email. It was about a two minute inspection on arrival at the airport. Do the form so you don't have to worry about either coming off your meds and then going back on them or getting hassled on the way in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Does anyone have any tips on evading the authorities during an escape from the guided tour? Is there a manga that could provide me with any strategies?

I would not gently caress around when visiting somewhere on a somewhat restricted visa situation like this, it's a good way to get a lifetime ban.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Well, speaking of weird long walks, touristchat, I have it in my head that I’m going to “walk the Yamanote” this time around. Mathematically it’s an eight hour walk by the numbers if I go my typical leisurely pace but I guess I should plan on breaking it up over two or three days so I can enjoy eating and looking at fun stuff along the way :haw:

https://youtu.be/SF5mf4LV7Jw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I would even be willing to spend a little more time on the train just because I'm settled in for the entire time and it's way more comfortable, whereas even with the same amount of time, I'd have to do a bunch of moving around and other stuff if I fly.

Worldwide I find trains are almost everything I like about flying without almost everything I hate about flying. Train stations are almost always in the middle of town whereas airports are farther away so that extra transit time has to be factored in too; given all that I'll choose a somewhat longer train ride unless time is critical or I get a screaming deal on plane tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

$300 per person? hahahahahahah.

E: I forgot the borked exchange rate. So like $225 per person.

If you just GOTTA BE THERE NOW you're gonna pay for the privilege.