Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Is there any place good to eat in Tokyo???? ??? ?

I have never been there but I think we can all agree that no, there is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone have any recommendations for good/cheap places to stay in Tokyo and Kyoto (about one week each, travelling alone).

What about airbnb? I keep agonizing over hotels but there seems to be some nice and relatively cheap hosts on airbnb, and I like that it's a bit more down to earth. I've been looking at some hostels too but I would like a private room if possible.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Max price for me is probably around $80 and I found some hotels that seemed nice enough but since I'm travelling by myself I was leaning towards a hostel/airbnb for a chance to meet some new people.

I've looked briefly at K's house, seems OK... Kita Shinagawa appears to be a street though??

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Never been there myself but this place looks super hipster (double word score because it's in TOKYO JAPAN)
http://backpackersjapan.co.jp/nui_en/

If you plan on spending heaps of time in Shibuya/xjuku probably not very convenient though.

That looks so hipster it hurts.

Rakuza seems kinda nice but they don't accept reservations this far in advance (have to wait a couple of weeks). Maybe I'll live hotel life in Tokyo and hostell life in Kyoto. Should probably decide pretty soon though because rooms are disappearing in front of my eyes

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I actually went ahead and booked a hotel in Asakusa which seemed decent and relatively cheap; still aiming for a hostell (probably Rakuza at this point) in Kyoto so I'll get some different experiences.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had been planning to get a PASMO card for public transit but should I get a JR Pass as well even if I don't plan to visit a ton of cities? I will be mainly visiting Tokyo and Kyoto, is it worth it just for the round trip between them? Or can it be used to travel within Tokyo as well, somehow?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
:3:

Also I have read that page but the reason I'm asking is because I've seen some ~conflicting opinions~ regarding its value if you don't plan to travel between a million cities

netcat fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 5, 2016

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Since I need to get a 14 day pass it might not be worth it on cost alone but it should still be convenient.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That doesn't work with Japanese I think.

I just tried it, seems to work. Pretty cool

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's more that bicycle riders try to kill pedestrians.

That's always the case with cyclists though.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've read that Pasmo cards are accepted at places, can it be used to pay in stores etc or is it mostly for like vending machines and stuff

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
You definitely want an IC card like Suica or Pasmo. It's incredibly convenient and it works on the subway and busses etc

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I rented a bike in Kyoto and this city suddenly became a whole lot nicer. Here's a monkey

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I didn't have as good a time when exploring eastern Kyoto on bike, sadly. Seems like the roads were worse for cycling. The rain might have contributed though, but will have to do this again w/o bike before I go home. I basically skipped the nice preserved (?) streets and went back to the hotel when the rain started to come down a bit heavier.

At least I got an amazing curry from some little no-name cafe close to Ginkakuji.

netcat fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 16, 2016

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

kenner116 posted:

Death by ramen is not the worst way to go.

If it's terrible ramen then it seems like a pretty bad way. :(

I did Cocos curry three days in a row because I was lazy but I enjoyed it each time

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Pasmo is cuter

The reason I got a Pasmo instead of a Suica :shobon:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I went by myself last year and had a blast. Japan is very easy to travel solo since it's so easy to get around and the ppl are polite and friendly. I'm going again this November but only for slighty more than a week :(

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

.Z. posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately doesn't look like there are any voice sim cards there.

Anyhow, found the posts I was referring to on my 3rd attempt at scanning through the thread.

Sharing here incase anyone else was interested. The suggestions were for:
https://www.genkimobile.com/simcard.php - data only
http://asolutions.co.jp/service/details/sonixnet-sim.html - Same provider as Genki, but allows for voice options. Requires a 3 month commitment, doesn't have an online checkout process.

There's also https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/ which apparently have voice but I have no experience with them myself, I found the link by accident on another forum some time ago.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
HOw well does Google Translate work for english -> japanese these days? Can I enter a simple phrase and get something that is not gibberish back?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

"Can I enter a simple phrase and get a sensible result?" translates to " 簡単なフレーズを入力して賢明な結果を得ることはできますか? ", which translates back to "Can you input a simple phrase and get a wise result?"

So, yes and no. I've found in my dealings with Japanese customers that my best results come from radically simplifying sentences, putting them into Translate, and then putting them back to English to see if they still make sense. You might need to massage the input a little.

Alright, thanks. So if I get something that makes sense when I translate back it -should- makes sense in Japanese as well.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I always get anxious when looking up places to eat in Toyko because there's just so many 😓

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm at Blacows and there's literally only white ppl here 🤔 last time I was the lone foreigner

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I like Hokke Club in Asakusa, it's cheap, clean and close to the subway. Breakfast is very expensive though if you want that.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Exactly how bad is it travelling during golden week? I just realized we had a lot of time off at the beginning of May so I started half-planning a trip in my head but then I also realized that it's during golden week...

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Going to Japan or leaving Japan for elsewhere ?

Going to

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

It depends on exactly when you go. People seek to maximize their time so it gets busy leaving Tokyo at the start, and returning to Tokyo at the end. So leaving Tokyo 4/28 is going to be pretty crushed on roads and Shinkansen, then the return route on 5/3. Almost any other days, or going the other direction, shooould be okay.

If you’re looking at the start of May you can just start your trip in Tokyo for a few days like people tend to do, then go elsewhere and you really shouldn’t be impacted, and things might even be less crowded than usual because a lot of people who were going to travel already did it the previous week.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

nielsm posted:

I ate at Mos Burger. I don't feel any particular need to eat there again.

For some reason Mos was the first ever place I ate at in Japan and I haven't been there since

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Considering May was almost too hot for me I'm not sure I could take it during the summer months when the humidity is through the roof also

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Depending on where and how frequently you're going around Tokyo, either of those may be worth it. But yeah, subways and local trains are pretty cheap anyway. And it's hard to beat the convenience of Suica, especially since you can use it to buy stuff at combinis and in most taxis too.

Also use it instead of coins in the arcade :pray:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Despite doing my best to make use of change I still have a box of like a hundred coins left over from my trips. Mostly 1 yen.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Holding up the line at 7/11 trying to find the exact coins you need so you don't get even more change

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had meant to go in May and found some great prices for plane tickets but it didn't work out so I'm looking at summer/eary autumn now and the ticket prices are through the goddamn roof.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The hotel I stayed in both my Tokyo visits had pretty decent (but expensive) breakfast that was a mix of some western but mostly Japanese stuff.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I got notifications from google for a cancelled trip I had originally booked for this month :rip:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

peanut posted:

double triple check! google isn't a travel agent!

Nah it's only a calendar notification I forgot to remove. I know it's cancelled but I wish it wasn't

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I nearly booked a late trip for July since I found some decent ticket prices but thought better of it after some searching around if the heat/humidity is -really- that bad. I could probably handle it without dying but walking around soaked in sweat all day isn't very pleasant.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Doooo it and come to Fuji Rock.

Weather's fine to deal with if you're wearing the right clothes (read: no cotton ANYTHING).

I think almost every single piece of clothing I own is cotton :ohdear:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

This is why you're miserable in the heat.

I go every July and wear:
Wool socks - both because I go hiking so thicker socks are nice (though there's thin) and also because wool wicks water away from your feet so they stay relatively dry. Wool also does not promote bacterial growth like cotton does and so your socks don't stink nearly as much as if you had worn cotton socks. Seriously, go get yourself a pair of wool socks and wear them around for a day. They don't come out of your shoes smelling like fresh laundry, but it is totally fine.

Wool underwear/boxer briefs. Same reason - they keep everything dry.

Quick dry material hiking pants - light weight and they zip off into shorts :D

Synthetic shirt - wicks sweat away, doesn't stink, light weight and dries quickly.

A hat! Don't underestimate the importance of a good sun hat.

The above is all pretty standard hiking gear but if you're going to be walking around outside, it doesn't really matter if you're in the woods or in the city - you should dress appropriately, which means not like you're going to be in an air conditioned office or house all day.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind since I actually did go ahead with the booking (still have 24 hours to cancel if I panic!!)

I'll just have to pick up some appropriate clothes :)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Good luck. You can get electrolyte chewables at pharmacies in Japan, I found them very helpful in summer.

Japan is very bad at air conditioning (except in convenience stores) so you're just going to be damp and gross and uncomfortable all the time. Nearly my entire Japan trip last summer was going to places on their hottest day in recorded history. I doubt it's going to get any cooler, so.

Yeah I still have a few hours to change my mind which probably means postponing until sometime next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Going to Japan in summer is still better than not going to Japan at all.

Just if you have the choice go in like, April or October. Winter's nice too, you can choose between Hardcore on the Sea of Japan side and Mild on the Pacific side.

Maybe, but spending two weeks constantly sweating does sound a bit horrible

My last trips have been in May and November both which had basically perfect weather. I can probably get a week in autumn this year but it's so short for the price of going imo