Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Martytoof posted:

In any event, I would go with the router every time. Last year I had three devices all sucking down data with no problem. I turned on WiFi calling on my iPhone since my provider supports it and I seemed to incur no extra charges for making voice calls back home either. Then again work pays for my phone so I didn't really scrutinize it that carefully.

if work isn't paying then you should check your provider's terms and conditions carefully before doing this.
some providers will hit you with full roaming charges if you use wifi calling overseas, because gently caress you that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Trains are extremely reliable.

counterpoint: takarazuka line running like 25 minutes behind schedule the other day. and I just saw a nozomi arrive 2 minutes late and the driver didn’t even commit seppuku on the platform. o tempura o mores

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
ok which of you was the goony-rear end american who decided to use his outdoor voice to ask the okami whether he should wear underwear with his yukata

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the only reason that isn’t the most gaijin thing I’ve seen today is because of the german dude on the shinkansen who was trying to explain to the conductor that the station staff had totally said it was ok to sit in the green car without a reservation if you had a jr pass

loving gaijin ruining japan. I of course am the exception, an educated foreigner who understands the true nihongo no kokoro (that means japanese spirit) and

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
on the bright side nobody on this trip has even come close to being as goony as the guy on my last visit who came and sat next to me on the bus so he could tell me the good news about the anime that changed his life

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
remember to shout "dosukoi" at the correct moments. It’s probably best if you start screaming it the moment you arrive and don’t stop until your throat collapses

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Yatta! I’ve been coming to the country for years and my nihongo has finally been declared jouzu desu ne

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Kulex posted:

I heard we're Fuji posting now.

It's big.

looks like japan is compensating for something

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

They tell everyone that no matter how terrible you are. HTH

i know thank you. the joke, insofar as there was one, is that nobody told me it before so I must have been really very bad indeed

unrelatedly, loving lol at google maps transit directions in this country. "sure, you could take the train ..... but have you considered this uber clone instead? it’ll take four times as long and cost 20 times as much, why not give it a try?"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Most consumer electronics manufactured recently support 100-120 volts and 50-60 hertz so that only one type has to be manufactured and can be sold/used pretty much anywhere.

Apart from, you know, most of the world

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooo these look fuckin DOPE! I can't find the second one's actual name though, Google translate just gives me "Korean style charcoal grilled chicken specialty store spicy" which... doesn't help narrow it down on Google maps, haha. Most of the Korean restaurants on Google maps are titled "Korean restaurant" followed by that in katakana, then all the kanji :psyduck: I think I might've found it right here?

You’ve referred to the second one and then given google translate of the first one’s name and then appear to have linked a completely different place a block away from the first one

If you go back to the four square links you will find that it gives the exact address for each restaurant. Try putting those in google maps if searching for names isn’t working

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really wanna go to that, that thing looks like a pain in the rear end.

You mean like the area that Google Maps calls Taito City? Sweet, that's close to where we're staying.

I'm worried about the opposite - not having enough to do and we just twiddle our thumbs. Which won't happen but still.

If you manage to run out of things to do in Tokyo in just a few days, you will deserve a special prize!

Worst case there are always plenty of world class shops and cafes and things. Or head down to the river and take a boat ride. Or chill out in one of the many parks.

Also can confirm that’s a good area for wandering the streets

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

arisu posted:

jesus christ i am going to gain 400 lbs when i go to japan

chanko nabe every meal. you too could be the next gaijin sumo star

japan status: chilling with tea and kotatsu. it’s not really cold enough for the kotatsu but I’m damned if I’m going to have a room with one and not use it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
哀れなポリアンナの父、蟻を考えて死んだ

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
It’s a bit weird. Like everything says pseudoephedrine is strictly prohibited, you can’t bring it into japan under any circumstances. But you can just buy it off the shelf from any pharmacy in country.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Most meds you can bring up to one months personal supply as a tourist without further bureaucracy, just there are a few types that doesn’t apply to. Mostly stimulants iirc.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Dad got hosed over and is arriving 3 hours later than me. He says to wait for him at the hotel.

this is your chance! hop on a shinkansen for hakata and make good your escape

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Dad is loving fascinated, but he does more stuff that could piss people off (“we’re sharing a bowl”, “where’s the check”, “why can’t I fit three people in this hotel room”, etc.).
what kind of restaurant are you going to that doesn’t just bring the check to the table with the food?

and yeah sharing’s a no-no unless it’s something like nabe that’s explicitly all about sharing. order at least one thing per person. a lot of more touristy places are so fed up with gaijin trying to cheap out that they have signs posted about this

please tell me at least he isn’t trying to tip :ohdear:

Pollyanna posted:

I still don’t know if I should or should not try to speak Japanese. I kinda get the sense that I shouldn’t from you guys, but not everyone speaks English so I mean, sorry :shrug:
No you should definitely do it. Even if it’s just hellos and thank yous, people will genuinely appreciate the effort.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
anime cosplay to nampa the fujoshi

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
if arudo debito can do it, you can too!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LyonsLions posted:

Goons are obviously the best source of life advice and you can never go wrong listening to random internet strangers telling you how to run your life rather than just deciding for yourself.

Also curious as to what the closest thing in America is.

probably alaska i think? maybe hawaii, i'm too lazy to actually check on a globe

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
british people think katsu is a kind of curry

like half the time the chicken katsu isn't even breaded or fried, it's just chicken curry. and not even a particularly japanese style of curry.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
britain is also a country where i have ordered yakitori and been served pork belly. you'd think there's a clue in the name but i guess words don't mean anything any more

i could really go for some yaki-tory right now though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

d0s posted:

as a weeaboo, I don't understand why anyone would be a koreaboo. am I racist?

the people of japan thank you for your valiant service, and look forward to sending you to reclaim takeshima from the korean aggressors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

Aomori does sound cool but... this is a good point. For some reason I had it in my head that Kyoto etc. were absolutely inaccessible from Tokyo without the shinkansen.

So I guess I'll ask the usual questions - what's a good balance of time between Kyoto/Osaka/Nara? I might like to do a day trip to Uji from Kyoto since I love matcha. And also there's a ton of stuff en route from Osaka to Hiroshima so do ppl have any particular recommendations for if I decide to go that way

osaka has great cheap places to stay and eat, and is a nice friendly fun city, although if you've been living in tokyo it might be less exciting. nara is a day trip. uji is a nice day trip or half-day, less crowded, i liked it, there's a street full of tea-related shops that are rather pricy and tourist-focused but fun to browse and chat to staff if you're into tea. fushimi-inari is on the train from kyoto to uji and nara and is a must-see and also completely free, someone was saying itt you can even just wander up the mountain after dark which sounded fun. kyoto ... depends how much you like temples and crowds and shuffling slowly through crowded temples while everyone blocks your view with their selfie sticks. i guess there's some neat architecture around too and you can avoid the worst crowds by timing things carefully? i like the station building.

honestly one of my favorite things i did in that region when i was out there in the spring was to hop off the train at shin-kobe and just walk up the mountain right behind the station. it's nothing mind-blowing, but there's some nice trails that hardly anyone goes up, and you can walk up a ridge underneath the cable car and wave at folks going past above you and get nice views of the bay and stuff. good antidote to spending too long in kyoto.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
omedeto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
The bottles/cans will normally say things like デカフェ or カフェインレス or カフェインゼロ fairly prominently, if they contain caffeine free tea or coffee.