Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

Here's another question this time on Fukuoka! Instead of going straight from Hiroshima to Nagasaki, we figure we'll take a stop somewhere else along the way since there won't be any Gunkanjima ferries the days we were planning out.

Anyways, how many days/nights would be worthwhile in Fukuoka? One day/night is what I was thinking then going over to Nagasaki the next day for the ferry. I know there are some goons in Fukuoka right?

E:
Here's another question, anyone gone to Tashirojima? I would like to see the cats.

Depends on the day of the week but you can enjoy Fukuoka for eating/drinking and the people. If you want to do sightseeing there isn't a lot but I can show you around if I am town when you are visiting. It is probably worth stopping by if you are heading from Hiroshima to Nagasaki because Fukuoka is a bit more positive and metropolitan and lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey guys I have some questions maybe you can help me with.

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

Buy her a one way ticket home. This can only end up even worse.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Lastly, any goons in the Yokosuka or Tokyo area want to meet up? I'll buy! And I know it's cliche as gently caress to ask about hooking up in Japan but I'm newly divorced and in a foreign country so gently caress it. What kind of clothes should I bring if I'm looking to meet normal girls out there? Normal American stuff (nice jeans, nice shoes, nice button up shirt) or is it like Europe and everybody dresses to impress with slacks and blazers and stuff?

Come to Kyushu! Weather will be great then and it is like a mini-Japan and the cities all have their own different vibe. I can introduce you to lots of single women if you visit here because Fukuoka has the largest imbalance between men and women in all of Japan and there are just too many women to go around! Fukuoka also has the reputation of having beautiful women so it is really a win-win situation if you are looking to enjoy your newly single status. That and we don't have a lot of foreigners in general so you stand out.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Dude that Bodhi Chen thing looks loving legit, I'm in. Which is cheapest/fastest, flying or train? What time of month works best for you? I just checked the Sumo schedule and it looks like there's going to be some matches starting 8 May in Tokyo? I definitely have to see a Sumo match, so you want me to come out early may or mid may?

-edit-
Google says Fukuoka is known for tonkotsu ramen, I LOVE tonkotsu ramen.

If you book ahead flying is usually cheaper but it would involve you getting all the way to Narita or Haneda from Yokosuka and then checking in and waiting for the plane so it really depends on how long it takes you to get to the airport but the flight itself is less than 2 hours. Train from Shin-Yokohama is 4 hours and 45 minutes and around 20,000 yen but you can use your phone most of the trip and the train is pretty awesome. Once you get to Fukuoka it doesn't really matter if you came by plane or by train because they are both on the same subway line and only 5 minutes apart.

I have a strange job so I can't actually guarantee I will be in town when you decide to visit but I can introduce you to folks who take care of you. If you love Tonkotsu ramen I know some decent spots that I can introduce you to and I will definitely take you to a yatai.

Also, the military presence in town is limited largely to Navy folks coming in to party from Sasebo. Every once in a while we got people coming in from Iwakuni but if you tell girls you are in the air force they will be impressed!

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo unironically do this, when i went out with Ned just for japanese food and beers we were surrounded by tables of cute girls in like every direction. Fukuoka owns.

I don't even think there were any other male customers in that place when we were there. There is only one restaurant that I go to on a regular basis that usually has more men than women. Everything else is just groups of girls. Especially if you go out before the salarymen types get off of work. But even then we don't have a lot of those in the Tenjin area - they are all stuck around Hakata station.

What we do have now is a shitload of cruise ships coming from China. In March 2013 we had two boats for the whole month with a total capacity of 1,300 passengers. March 2016 is 36 ships with an average capacity of 2,500+ and a decent number of them get hotels in the city so if you do decide to come try to book a hotel in advance.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Which ramen places? You've recommended mami-chan for yatai before but I also love ramen.

Shin-shin seems to be the most popular these days as far as having a line in front of it. There is another Yatai in front of golds gym that suddenly started having a big line in front of it a few months ago. A lot of people like Ichiran ramen but I have never eaten there - to be honest I am not much of a ramen person.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks for all the info! It's nice to know the temples are different enough. The castle and palace were on our to-do list as well.

Any hidden gems you'd recommend? Even things like a particularly neat-looking game center, a street full of mom and pop stores, some neat bars to have drinks at night, stuff like that?

Best thing you can do in Kyoto is rent a bicycle and ride everywhere. Some places might be a bit difficult to get to but you will see so much that it all seems amazing.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

cosmicprank posted:

Any goons wanna hang? I leave for Tokyo Monday. Will also be in Kyoto, Hiroshima, Neyagawa, Fukuoka and Nagoya.

I'll give you my standard foreigner visiting Fukuoka food and drinking tour!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Alright, revised schedule for mid April-may, input welcome!

18 Apr - 29 Apr Yokosuka for work w/lots of trips to Tokyo
29 Apr - 9 May Fukuoka with lots of trips around Kyushu (Ned you still up for drinks?)
9 May - 13 May Osaka w/ day trip to himeji and Nara
13 May - 16 May Kyoto because there's a festival or something
16 May - 20 May Tokyo with a friend for sight seeing and Sumo
20 May - 30 May No clue where to go or what to do
31 May homeward bound

Any suggestions on somewhere to go 20-30 May? I'd like to stick to one or two areas, moving hotels all the time is draining, and I like kinda settling in to meet people and stuff. Am I missing anything cool?

Still up for drinks! Friend is taking over a bar/club and gets the keys on Friday, has renovations starting on the 4th and we'll be doing a soft open once construction is done and the grand opening during Golden Week so we should have a wonderful place for you to come and drink while you are here!

As far as 20th to the 30th, I'd make that decision once you have done some time in Japan. It is going to be a decision between big city and more rural areas and you should be able to figure out which you prefer more right beforehand. But I'd look into finding a nice beach where you can just chill and live the simple life.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Lol at foreigners living in one of the biggest, most modern metropolitan areas in the world trying to shame people for not having an "authentic Japanese experience" when visiting.

I don't think it is about that, just more of Japan being wacky enough as is. You don't need a tourist trap that is over the top wacky to prove that to you. It is like going to Bubba Gump shrimp in NYC. Yeah, you may not have a Bubba Gump shrimp where you are from, but do you really need to go to Bubba Gump shrimp when there is so much more to choose from?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Spend more time in Kyushu, Abe!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I can't think of a single good reason for someone to work in Japan if they can work anywhere else - especially in the tech field. Even working remotely from Japan is going to be better than working for a company in Japan.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Phone posted:

I should have never looked at a page of wasei eigo, it's now burned into my brain that seltzer = サイダー.

I drink seltzer as my go to drink outside of water.

gently caress.

炭酸水 is seltzer. Cider in Japan is more like a sprite. Basically if it is sweet it a cider, if it is not sweet then it is just soda water.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

A Big... Dog posted:

I'm in Tokyo for a couple days on my own next week, and I could definitely burn an evening with some goons and beers. Let me know if anyone has any plans anywhere!

I could possibly take you to a comedy show tomorrow(Wednesday) night, but not 100% sure of my schedule yet.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Going to Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe) for the first time.

I've heard that Osaka has the best food; any recommendations?

Other stuff we like is coffee, working out/outdoors stuff, museums.

Osaka people have an inferiority complex when it comes to Tokyo so they take excessive pride in being from Osaka and claim their food is better. But it is pretty low-brow stuff they harp on about and it mostly drowned in sauces so don't get too excited. Tokyo probably has better food, just not the stuff they love in Osaka.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

To be fair I thought Fukuoka had better food than Osaka.

Of course we do!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Oh that's good to know. We actually are thinking we may not set up AirBNB/hotels, because we have no idea how much time to spend in Kyoto and Osaka vs. Tokyo. Like, it would be a bummer to budget 3 days for Osaka and feel like we've done everything on day 1. We're only going for about 10 days, so it's a consideration.

Osaka doesn't really offer you much if you are going there after visiting Tokyo. It is a big city but you are better off spending time in Kyoto. I'd spend a night in Osaka and then maybe Kobe/Himeji as alternatives to the other two days you were planning to spend in Osaka.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

nocal posted:

Weird you'd say that, are you being tsundere??

I think Osaka might be better for living than visiting. It's kind of a gritty place in comparison to the other big cities in Japan and the people are a bit more outgoing and jovial, but it just doesn't have anything amazing about it. I've talked to quite a few foreigners who really enjoy living there but I can't think of anything I would specifically go to Osaka for as a tourist. Go take your picture with Glico guy and eat cheap street food! That is what everyone does when they visit Osaka.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

yo gf we just did the high speed rail FUK to TOK and it wasn't bad. I'd recommend that or a rail pass so you can do it slowly and get off in Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima/Nagoya/whenever you want

It's an awesome trip, if we are in Fukuoka at the time please hit us up for beers and or good food. If you want

More Ninoni?!?

Also, you can take the slow train to Hiroshima from Fukuoka but it only saves you about 3,000 yen and it takes almost 6 hours vs. a little over one hour. Bus is a little bit cheaper than the slow train and about the same amount of time. Bus isn't terrible though if you can limit your trips to 6 hours at a time. I did an overnight bus from Tokyo to Okayama for 6,000 yen the other day and it wasn't bad at all. 1/3rd of the cost of the Shinkansen.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ned are you still in Tokyo or back in Fukuoka? We will be back p soon if you're around

I'm technically in Shimane right now but I'll be headed back to Tokyo in a bit. I can schedule being in Fukuoka if you let me know when you are there.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stalins Moustache posted:

Okay so far I'm having a pretty good time studying here at Akita International University but gently caress I am not liking Japanese food at all except for the curry :psyduck:

Edit: and this is coming from a Norwegian with the blandest sort of food imaginable as background

What exactly are you not liking? Japanese food has a lot of variety. Plenty of western influenced food is still considered Japanese food.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
You shouldn't have any issues at all with immigration if you do it in Fukuoka. You are married and have a kid. Easy stuff. There is even a dude there who helps you fill out the forms and makes sure you have the documents you need. If you don't have the documents they give you an envelope and tell you to send them the documents.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stumbling Block posted:

Me and a friend are going to be in Fukuoka for a day on the 7th. Anything of note happening there at that time to see and do, or not do? It's our first time there.

Also what's the best time in the morning to catch the shinkansen to avoid the crush? We're heading up to Osaka the next day and from past experiences even with reserved seats things can easily get booked out especially since it may be a limited stop train.

And no we're not getting the overnight bus because my friend finds it too uncomfortable and too darn long.

Monday is generally a pretty boring day in Fukuoka so don't expect too much nightlife. If you like nature maybe you can go check out the castle ruins and then Ohori park. There are some museums in that area as well. There are a few shrines near downtown but not really amazing. If you feel like taking a day trip you can check out Dazaifu Tenmangu. For food/drinks I recommend hitting up Ninoni at 5 for their happy hour and then when you are done there you can go check out Mami-chan for a great Yatai experience.

As far as the train goes just head to Hakata station and look at the board to see which trains have reserved seating available. I don't see you having a hard time getting a reserved seat. Also, if you go to a ticket place you can get a ticket for about 10% less than regular price. If you go to the Chikushiguchi exit and take a right there will be a place on your left near the Bic Camera.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mr. Fix It posted:

Rude. Stop disparaging Ned's damaged hole.

I was going to blame the situation on the goon who came to town on Monday.

But that area was under construction for a long rear end time. The mayor's response to the situation was pretty cool and I hope he moves up in the world of politics.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stumbling Block posted:

*put hands up* A bit late on my part it sure made for an even more interesting time in Fukuoka. Yeah I went dark and was only usin the wi-fi for getting around the past 2 weeks otherwise I'd have joined in with the FUKed talk.

Pretty funny to wake up to repeated footage of traffic lights disappearing down a hole in the morning tv to be folowed by noise of choppers outside before having the lightbulb moment out of my morning foggy haze of recognising the 7-11 store I walked past just yesterday slowly being swollowed up by the sinkhole.

Did you hit up any of the places I told you to go to? Hopefully you enjoyed your time in town.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

zmcnulty posted:

Everyone there is so depressed too, even for Japanese

I wonder what the saddest most depressed city/region in Japan is?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mandalay posted:

I miss Japanese snacks (just going to Lawson/7-11/Familymart was an adventure for me) so was delighted to see you can get some in the LA area. There's a Japanese market called Tokyo Central/Main (run by Marukai) in Gardena. There are mini-aisles for fried broad beans, Calbee soy sauce and butter Jagabee, etc. Also you can buy some of those model figures I kept seeing in arcades--but no crane game sorry.

I miss Japan, it was fun. Wish it was close enough for a 3-day weekend trip from LA. (I checked, the timing was crazy for all airlines except maybe NH but even then still crazy)

People living here miss slushies. If the thing you miss the most about Japan is convenience stores and you live in LA, I suggest you learn to drive a little bit further before you fly half a world away to indulge in crappy fried chicken.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ntan1 posted:

Ok my mother is really into onsen and kind of wants to stop by Japan on the way back to the US from Asia. Does anyone have any recs for any hotels/onsens that are somewhat cheap (ie that she could stay for like 4-5 days) that also allow for single person stay? Water quality is kinda important. I haven't really looked into hitoritabi very much :(.

Honestly the kaiseki is optional.

Beppu in Oita? If she stays at a Minshuku there are some pretty cheap places. However, getting to Beppu is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoft posted:

I understand that July is hot, but due to my wife's schoolwork we can't go during the October/March window a lot of people have suggested to me. Is it really THAT hot, do things shut down (I really want to go to the food cart island in Fukuoka), are there festivals to make up for it? We would be coming in to Fukuoka and making our way to Tokyo over the course of two weeks.

If you go to Fukuoka don't go to the food carts on the island. They are ripoffs. You have to go to Mamichan.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-10-13/junot-diaz-on-fukuoka-japan-s-next-great-food-city

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Piano Maniac posted:

News from the front: I'm slowly getting used to the Japanese way of life, the endless bowing and of course the language. Sometimes I don't really understand what they say so I smile sweetly and bow. I think it's working.
Shibuya was just like in the animes.
One thing that I miss is being able to buy dress shirts in a shop and even the largest size (LL) had the sleeves too short. My wife suggested me a shop called Sakazen, which is supposed to be a shop for big and tall Japanese. Let's try it out.

Also what's the deal with smoking? I thought everybody smoked like chimneys here in Japan, but instead it's like that one episode from Black Books where smokers are being huddled into small cramped smoking areas instead. I just wanna vape, drat it, not reek like ciggy smoke all the time!

Went to Sakazen on Sunday in Shibuya. They had shirts for my fat neck. Goon approved!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Magna Kaser posted:

That Wendy's First Kitchen was really, really good.

I'm bias though Wendy's is prob my fav fast food burg in the US and I legit miss it. It's also the only one of the big 3 that isn't in China :smith:

I am upset they don't have double stacks.

Also, I get mad at most Japanese burger places because their burgers are small and messy. Like they have to overcome the lack of meat by throwing a bunch of BS toppings on there. Eggs don't belong on burgers unless they are Australian.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

This won't actually happen right? Just one of those plans Japanese government has like things they do to end working too much overtime, right?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Fun Wendys in Japan Fact: Their Japanese outlets used to be owned by Daiei who sold them to another company in 2002. A lot of former Wendys locations ended up becoming Dom Dom Hamburger restaurants. They would have the same interior as an old school Wendys(Old timey newspaper design on the tables), and actually sold decent burgers for a Japanese fast food chain. I remember them having all beef patties rather than the mix of pork and beef that a lot of Japanese chains seem to use. There are very few Dom Dom Hamburger locations left so if you have the opportunity to eat there I think it is worth it because they were the original hamburger chain in Japan, opening a year before McDonalds.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Sugoca is pretty cool! It's sugoi but in Hakata-ben!

No one cares about Kyushu though.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Solus posted:

If I was a giant nerd, which I am, and wanted to experience the true madness of Tokyo Arcades, where would be some places to check out? (I've seen video of an initialD racing arcade machine where it was hydraulically linked to a Car and I want poo poo like that in my life)

Akihabara has a bunch of arcades. I know one has a bunch of driving games there. The problem with modern Japanese arcades is the games are very geared towards Japanese people. Either you have a bunch of gambling like games or games where you collect cards and play with them. Not casual at all.

But there is one arcade in Akihabara which has a bunch of old school games and there are plenty of other arcades that should cover everything you want. You will most likely have to go somewhere a bit touristy to find games that would interest you.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

zmcnulty posted:

If you can handle some flexibility in your schedule, while in Tokyo:
1) Go to Kawasaki, preferably a weekend, during the daytime (okay technically it's Kanagawa but whatever)
2) Buy some beers at the combini
3) Drink on the street and people watch for a few hours

If you enjoy that experience, certainly, spend a couple days in Osaka.

Last time I did this we had some nice gentlemen show us how much of their pinkies they were missing!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

At every hub they have DKs and that's all you need sooooo

Hub sells things other than Gin and Tonics?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

don't go looking for places just tell Ned or stringent "I wanna get drunk" and follow them wherever they take you

I'm pretty worthless in Tokyo. I gave you an empty bar with 250 beers and a tranny who wants to show off her thong and then some drinks in the park.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Phone posted:

Hey Ned, I'm in Tokyo next month can you get me incredibly drunk!?

Yes.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

unbutthurtable posted:

Any Tokyo goons want to grab food and/or a bunch of beer Sunday or Monday night? I'm staying in Shinjuku, but I don't mind heading wherever rad poo poo is.

I can put together a reciprocal goonmeet in NYC one day, if interested.

I could do Sunday probably. Torikizoku would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

ya my waifu is from Fukuoka and she is cool and good

seriously tho I went out with forums user Ned one time in Fukuoka and we were drinking beer and eating gyoza and like every single table that could have touched us, it was like four or five tables, were filled with 2-4 girls just chatting, and they were all super cute. it's like wtf.

I wanna go drinking in Fukuoka with Ned to that gyoza place again :cry: instead I'm in rural china, lol wtf am I doing

Yeah, it was pretty neat. I don't think there were any male customers in our immediate vicinity. Just tables upon tables of women. And that isn't even the type of place that specifically tries to appeal to women.

However, there aren't really any JET positions in Fukuoka city. They are usually way out in the countryside.