Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Planing a trip mid-march. I'm flying China Air through Taiwan into Takamatsu and I'm going to spend a week with family there and then going to railpass for a week with my SO.

Generally we're adverse to crowds/uber-touristy spots - but it's going to be cherry blossom season and we've never been to Kyoto So we were thinking of making that the home base and then doing 1-2 day trips with the rail pass to get out of town, and finishing up the trip with a nice night in a Ryokan somewhere.

Something like 3 days in Kyoto --> 2 day trips outside --> Ryokan.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Ryokan (preferably not in Kyoto) that's in a quiet place off the main tourist track? It would just need to be reasonably accessible from Kyoto or in-between Kyoto and Takamatsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

runawayturtles posted:

Just a heads-up based on my trip last year, even with the earlier cherry blossom timing thanks to global warming, there still isn't much blooming in Kyoto until April. Tokyo gets them first. (Not sure if you actually want to see them or just mentioned it regarding crowds.)

Darn. Yeah it's not the centerpiece or anything we'd planned out trip around, and I knew we'd be early for it, but it's too bad to hear we'll very likely miss it. Upside is maybe we won't have to deal with crowds!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

peanut posted:

Check Setouchi regional railpasses. Do you fly out of Takamatsu, too?

You have unlimited options for ryokan. Staying in Kurashiki would be cute, and Nara/Wakayama have lots of great places that get fewer foreign visitors just because it's 40 minutes outside of Kyoto. Fukui too…

Yeah we fly out of there too - so shinkansen or ferry back is why the railpass kinda made sense to me. I think it was just barely a break-even purchase honestly.

I'll look into those spots, thanks. I had thought nara was a tourist trap/gimmick is it worth going to?

mikeycp posted:

fukui has a dope-rear end dinosaur museum you should go to fukui

Neat.

We're going to go out to naoshima while on shikoku, which I did last time I visited. Museum-island was awesome.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 13, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Whelp, just had my flight in March on China Air rescheduled. They changed my leg from Taipei to Japan so that it now leaves the day before my flight (on the same airline) from the US to Taipei

:psyduck:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeeeeeeah. I shortened/rescheduled slightly my late March trip this morning....but I'm thinking we might have to reboot entirely in the next week or so

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

And this is exactly why the US is probably gonna get the virus worse than most of Asia.

Tho Japan's current "don't test enough people and hope its better by the Olympics" strategy is pretty close.

Yup.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Business of Ferrets posted:

Contact JR and see if they will cancel it. Lots of travel companies making exceptions due to the virus. This is if you plan to not come, obviously. Also, make sure you have excellent health insurance.

They charged me a 10% refund fee for mine, but yeah. They were accommodating.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I'm torn over whether I should have taken my flight and let myself get stranded in Japan for the end of the world rather than hell USA.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

peanut posted:

Lol I am searching flights to visit the US in January, and my biggest restriction is that Japan requires a 2 week quarantine on arrival. You can quarantine at home, but you can't take public transportation (buses, trains, connecting flights, normal taxis) You must arrange for your own car, rental car, or private transportation service.

We live in Shikoku so these are my problems: ① No connecting flights allowed ② No international flights to Shikoku airports right now ③ Stupid few international flights to KIX right now ④ Arriving in Tokyo would require 2 weeks in Tokyo with kids or a $900 one-way rental car with no bathroom breaks.

I think all I can do right now is wait until November/December and hope Taiwan starts allowing transit flights again, or Korean Air increases their flights from KIX.

Dang, this bummed me out because I though this meant that the travel ban policy had changed for tourists.

I was all prepped to fly straight into Takamatsu (sup Shikoku goon) to visit my brother when the pandemic broke out and have been anxiously awaiting when things will open back up again for me to finish that planned trip.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

It extremely sucks that I don't know when I'm gonna get to see my brother and his kids again.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, any hints of tourist visas opening back up anytime soon?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You should do the art islands. Naoshima is awesome

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Hell yeah, that works. Guess we’ll make a trip of Seto and the north shore of Shikoku.

How easy is public transportation across the island? We had little to no trouble out east, but I suspect the southwest is less extensive. Should we rent a car?

There's decent transport for the most part. It's a bit more complex though getting to Kobe and you might need to do transfers to bus or ferry (at least that's what I did when I was there).

I didn't need to rent a car personally, but I also had a bunch of savvy friends in the area who tourguided and knew how to navigate everything. We also had bikes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

field balm posted:

Yeah, I'm from Queensland Australia, and we literally went from a lock down over one case to ahh gently caress it open the floodgates.

It sounds bad numbers wise, but the current wave is less deadly and there should be much higher levels of vaccination soon. You have to cop it sometime, the question is just how far do you tank the economy before hand.

Omicron (and the subsequent even more infectious variants) really changed the game. Unless you were an absolute dolt (:911:) you could control the OG strain.

Ba.5 is measles levels of infectious (R015). The original strain was like HIV or Cholera or Flu (R03) and Omicron was like smallpox or polio (R07). It's just not going to be contained/prevented at that level without some extreme measures.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Nah this is a big misconception.

That high estimate came out a week or so ago from a former WHO epidemiologist, but you're right, it looks like there's some back and forth on it now .

Most of the disagreement is around whether the growth in transmission of b.a5 is due to immune evasion or inherent transmission.

Um, i don't think anyone's saying that b.a.5 is being spread slower or at the same rate as earlier still circulating variants though. The main debate is around which of the two bad reasons is the explanation why. If it's immune evasion that's bad news for the vaccinated/exposed. If it's inherent transmissibility that's bad news for the unvaccinated. Seems like it might be a mix of both.

But yeah, if it's immune evasion that's driving it the old (non-vaccine) precautions should still be effective at least.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

putting together a spring 2024 Japan trip to visit my brother who's out on shikoku island with his wife and kids. We're traveling with our infant.

1). JAL or ANA? is there any meaningful difference? We might do premium economy since we've got an infant. It looks like we can even do a SFO->Haneda -> takamatsu flight with a short layover rather than doing Osaka.

2) Anything to be conscious of when traveling with infants in Japan?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you flown with the baby? That's a very long flight for a child. Little ones often have a much harder time than adults due to the air compression or something like that. Apparently, it can be quite painful.

We'll have a couple of domestic practice flights before, yeah. Dreading the flight a little, but we'll live (especially with some of the tips above, thank you!).

Since my brother has kids, he has a car, carseats, strollers, etc, etc, so I think that will make some stuff easier.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lmao JAL's website is so jank:

(their FAQ says they can't allow for names over 25 characters in totality - first +middle+last??)

I also tried booking over phone to start with and they said they'd charge me $50 to do it over the phone

e: I made the concierge flight bookers on my chase card do it for me.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 16, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Well, there were a ton of alerts that it had to match passport exactly, so I wasn't gonna futz with it too much. Anyhow, if you don't want to sit next to a baby on an international flight you should avoid coming to Japan at the end of March!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Busy Bee posted:

I'm starting to get my basic Shikoku itinerary set for March 2024 and it looks like this:

Day 1 to 3: Shimanami Bike Tour from Onomichi and ending in Matsuyama. Stay the night in Matsuyama
Day 4: Full day in Matsuyama
Day 5: Rent a car and drive to Kochi
Day 6: Full day in Kochi and explore Kochi and surrounding areas
Day 7: Leave Kochi to go to the Iya Valley, stay a night there
Day 8: Spend the day in Iya Valley, hike up Tsurugi, drive to Takamatsu in the evening
Day 9: Full day in Takamatsu
Day 10: Fly back to Tokyo from Takamatsu

Open for any suggestions and ideas! Also wondering if we should plan on two nights in Iya Valley and cut off a night in one of the cities.

I feel like a shikoku trip without a naoshima island visit is incomplete

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shammypants posted:

I also bring a ton of poo poo over to Asia for relatives so I bring full bags and empty them out only to fill them with tourist junk to return. In other words theres reasons for big bags.

What do you bring them? I’m going over in march to visit family and I I’m trying to figure out what to bring em that wouldn’t be available locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hopping on a plane today to spend two weeks mostly in Shikoku. Wooo!