Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

JacksLibido posted:

Well Fukuoka was the tits, figuratively and literally! Thanks Ned you're the best, highly recommend all goons hit him up for a good time.

I'm in Osaka for a week, who wants to touch me?!

Hit up some milk bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Came here thinking i'd see 60 new posts about milk bars and instead here I am reading about Ohio gently caress you thread

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Are there milk bars in Ohio?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Remember that time that friends was super popular in China and not blocked online, so people put new voiceovers over the old sound describing Tiananmen square and how the Chinese government killed people?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Everything is easier with money. Most posts about packing up and moving are people saying they have few marketable skills or would accept a lower paying job and that makes life harder. Some people are trying to escape something (most probably), others believe too much in the 'grass in greener' perspective of pretty lights and opportunity in a foreign land or worst of all that being western and/or white means they'll be fine. Frankly I see those as bad reasons to move anywhere.

Most of the difficulties and hardships of living in Asia evaporate once you're making a good salary.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Taking an Acela from DC to NY round trip one time is like $300 US, the prices seem very very reasonable

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The history and architecture of chinese distilleries

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like pretty much all Japanese food, but I never get my mind blown by it like I do other Asian cuisine.

I feel like I am supposed to appreciate japanese food for certain intrinsic qualities (how it's made, it's history, some reverance for the craft) whereas other asian food is just outwardly amazing and kicks me in the nutsack

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Live among the rocks and birds

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Welcome to Fukuoka, go Fukuoka yourself heh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

That seems entirely reasonable for a family to see stuff and have fun without getting bored or tired. At this point you should also think about what activities and sights you are most interested in at each location, but you can fit a lot of stuff in I think.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'd actually agree with only Tokyo/Kyoto only, especially to have an extra Tokyo day, but I would disagree with the Nikko onsen suggestions because a 7 year old will find that immensely boring.

In Kyoto you have Shinkyogoku Shopping Arcade, the Kyoto Railway Museum, the Monkey Park and other stuff.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

yeah this is the biggest food thing I miss from my college years. It was always a step up from like wendys/bk tho.

malt vinegar is the best fries condiment fyi

Real talk Wendy's is better than and cheaper than five guys

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You can be very popular with the ladies in Japan anywhere if you make bank, but not as some otaku english teacher at a rural elementary school

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 16, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I like to visit Tokyo with so little money that I beg porters carrying my bags for change. Ask me about eating discarded fish market bones for essential protein

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I travel to Asia between 4-8 times a year and Asians from Asia have the most baggage of everyone on average. So much poo poo that you regularly see them wheeling cardboard boxes of poo poo along with them. Americans generally have the standard set of items, 1.25 bags an average persons and carryon. Not sure where this weird Americans overpack thing is coming from

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

You don't tip in Japan.

Wish somebody told me before the waitress ran out after me.

You can do what you want, tipping isn’t customary but if you’re not from a place and want to do something different that isn’t harmful then gently caress it, tip.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Strolling around Ponto-cho, my wife and I saw two being whisked by serious-looking men into waiting cars, and it was like catching a glimpse of a ghost or a celebrity or a celebrity ghost. It was awesome and lmao if anyone thinks "hey I should bother this person because My Instagram"

Try to tip them

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Archer666 posted:

Does anyone know what the gay scene is like in Osaka? I'm thinking of picking up some twinks in April and I'm curious whats the best way to do it.

Tip every waiter until one fucks you, that's what I do

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I put my yen in my rear end

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Snobbery aside, there are no michelin star restaurants in Japan where you are going to be crowded in and receive bad service. So in a very clear way it helps alleviate the "public reviews don't correspond to the experience you have" problem.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stringent posted:

Walkin' around congratulating Japanese ppl on the elevation of emperor Naruhodo.

I'm going to tip double this week in honor of his emperor.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

prompt posted:

Who needs to communicate daily? Not communicating is underrated.

That's literally why I like traveling to Asia for work and spending time there. Don't need to chit chat and everyone gives you miles of leeway to do what you want without their ridiculous cultural expectations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

caberham posted:

If you want to feel alienated just move to a big bustling city with decent public transportation. There’s no need for a foreigner pass

I live in one of the biggest, and there is too much talking let me tell you how.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Underlying many travelers questions and concerns in this thread is a fear that their trip to Japan will be underwhelming and not meet their expectations from years of Japanese media consumption. Unlike other countries where people are less thoughtful on their plans and considerations because they have no real expectations to meet.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Japan thread: "I want to make sure that I truly see Japan for what it is (in anime) and experience the culture, religion and values therein. I do not want any fake experiences, I want to really see the country. No minute can be wasted!"

Every other Asian travel thread: "How can i be a cheap rear end western buffoon backpacker and find the nearest full moon party?"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The china thread has a few real winners. Guys who will fight you over how amazing China is for allowing fake drugs to be sold without oversight at corner drug stores and how they can raise animals in the halls and stairs of their apartment building.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Vending machines on the street were one of my big things that I missed when I got home, especially getting a canned hot choc on a cold night.

Oh, and the fact that people don't litter literally everywhere.

Vending machines are litter

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crazy thought but it's possible to like visiting Japan but not like Japanese food that much

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol if you such a child that you don’t want to experience different food. Straight up just don’t leave your country. Like not liking certain things or whatever is fine but you’re a dumb rear end in a top hat if you flat out refuse to eat anything at all that’s not explicitly your home country/culture’s food.

I'm actually on your side. Hell, I take it even further. When i'm in Japan, I immediately throw my iPod full of American music into the Arakawa river and hire an artisan to follow me around playing the Taiko drums.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Accidentally cut this out

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 6, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ntan1 posted:

They do care they are just too kind to tell you it.

I've had many conversations when I've gone to Minshuku, and the owner, after finding out I speak Japanese, immediately relaxes and tells me about <insert last awful experience with foreign group here who couldn't eat anything because they refused to eat fish and complained/became argumentative when they tried their hardest but couldn't work anything out> .

Sounds like they know how to mind their own business, wonderful people the Japanese.

Jokes aside, this is a forum that, ironically, creates standardized (low cost) trips for tourists to do stuff locals don’t ever do or did once years ago. A lot of the advocacy for foody purity as some form of personal growth is probably because so many trips to Japan, especially first trips, are nothing more than experiencing caricatures or romanticized elements of that culture. Eating “correct foods” somehow grants legitimacy to the travel in ways staying in a local suburb of Tokyo and visiting local supermarkets/movies/etc. far from Downtown somehow doesn’t.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The place where you only tipped 20%? I'm still red in the face about it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Not everyone’s a teacher ya dumb gently caress

Some people raise chickens in their apartment's hallways

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I've spent a good amount of time in Japan and creepy as gently caress japanese guys doing the whole weirdo aggressive street pickups are a thing. Lotsa creeps. Had a weird japanese guy follow our group around because he thought we dishonored him at a bar when he was getting too close and knocking people around.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

No go to a milk bar

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Maybe the rain will only wash away the current bad cast of Terrace House: Tokyo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

mikeycp posted:

on a scale of BGND to aloha state how bad we talking?

It's better than Aloha State but worse than BGND. For me personally I didn't like Aloha State at all.

The rankings remain:
BxGND (can never be the original of anything, especially when people fake storylines like crazy now)
OND
B&GITC (tie with Tokyo)
Tokyo (tie with B&GITC, could improve as season goes on)
Aloha State

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 12, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

A lot of their prostitution is "prostitution for Japanese only" and then "for Japanese speakers only" and then "everyone else." From my experiences with speaking to older Japanese men, the former two are just services offered to good Japanese citizens and the third is the seedy part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The pope is pretty smart, in Japan he can't read all the headlines about Argentina, it's just funny lines