Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

"I'm moving to Korea to teach English"

"Oh amazing, North or South?"

- A completely serious, university educated human

Hey, at least they know there's a North and South Korea. The floor gets so much lower.

"I'm going to Taiwan to teach English."

"Oh cool! Have fun in Thailand!"

:eng99:

Also, recently overheard in a restaurant:

"Hey waiter, where's Istanbul? Is that by Israel? Or is it closer to Paris?" at a restaurant called Istanbul Cafe :downs:

World geography for a lot of Americans is a black hole of ignorance that consumes everything in its wake.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Filox posted:

At a place I used to work, one day in the breakroom I heard a woman talking about a guy who wanted to return a fishing pole. He wanted her to take his fishing line off the reel for him; she didn't want to do it. He got a little pissy about it and it was probably not a good moment in her day.

But the woman in question was telling us how recently this man's unborn baby had been diagnosed with a potentially life threatening heart condition that would require dangerous surgery as soon as the baby was born.

And she thought this was proper karma. "What goes around comes around."

So the proper punishment for getting a little pissy with a cashier is to have to watch your new born baby suffer, struggle and possibly die.

I dunno. Do we have a "poo poo that makes you want to punch people" thread?

Make a thread? I'd read it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
"UFC - now that's a real sport!" literally just heard, spoken unironically at a Steak 'n Shake.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean the scoring system, judges and athletic commissions are bad for MMA but what's your problem with it as a sport in general?

It's hard to take someone seriously as an authority on sports in a Tapout sleeveless shirt.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hihohe posted:

So is orangina... like a drink or soap or hair product?

It's like a pulpy, sparkling orange drink (contains like 3% drink juice). It's a popular drink in France and other parts of Europe. I like it, give it a shot.

E: It's actually 12% juice and 2% pulp, just checked.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 17, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

littlebluellama posted:

Only 3% drink? That's a high level of carbonation.

Whoops, I meant juice. My bad. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They dont make it like they used to though.
That proper bittersweet stuff in the little glass bottles kicked rear end.

I basically grew up on the stuff as a kid, so I'm admittedly a little biased. :3: I can still get the little glass bottle variants here, at least at the French cafe here I go to once in a while.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

One guy responded with, "You take everything in your life on faith. Faith that cars won't drive into you, faith that you won't be murdered in your sleep. I bet you even take it on faith that the food you put in your body is what is excreted as feces. You never considered that they haven't put a device in your body to manufacture feces."
:psyduck: You're right, I hadn't considered that.

"Am I a man dreaming of being a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming of being a man?" - Zhuangzi

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's one of the things that religious nuts use to justify their religion to others in the "don't question it because you have faith in X" sense. The most common one I've heard is "well you have faith that the sun will come up every day!" Well, no. The sun has come up literally every single day I've been alive. Based on previous experience I assume that this will probably keep happening. Nobody had to tell me that and there are no guesses. The sun just keeps on comin' up.

"Tide comes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Woolie Wool posted:

Because (a) nobody has decent health education in the US, (b) people are socially conditioned to believe in One Weird Trick, and (c) many people can't mentally handle the fact that Grandma is going to die and nobody can save her.

Why give decent health education when you can spend weeks elaborating on the evils of STI-guaranteed casual sex and why you need to save it for God marriage?

WaltherFeng posted:

Orangina is quite literally orange flavored Fanta. I would rather just buy the cheapest orange juice available.

Your tastebuds must be malfunctioning because Orangina is most definitely miles apart from Fanta in taste and texture.

Mouse Dresser posted:

When I was in college, my friend had an incredibly stupid roommate. When he learned that I am Jewish lady, he had a question for me:

:bahgawd: Let me see your scar.
:confused: Well, I had a knee surgery-
:bahgawd: Nah, your Jew scar.
:confused: What?
:bahgawd: From your tail.
:confused: Wha- what?
:bahgawd: Come on, everyone knows Jews are born with tails, and they get them cut off when they're babies- and that's circumcision. My dad told me all about Jews.

There was a really long talk with him after that, including some Googling and pictures.

This guy sounds like the type of person who would use the term "Jewess" unironically.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
"We can't have universal healthcare in the United States because we're too diverse. It only works in places like Norway and Taiwan because they have biologically homogeneous populations and doctors can't work on people whose biology is too different from ours..." - in response to a debate about healthcare

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Orange Mage posted:

i thought this was just going to go to the actual reason, which is that right-leaning folks don't want to give things to people who don't deserve it, i.e. poor brown folks?

Hell, for a decent chunk of that group those probably ARE the same reason...I swear I have read a story or two on SA about some idiot having some Jew-horn kind of belief about black folks. :psyduck:

No, the person I was debating with at the time was trying to make the argument that minorities literally have different biological structures than "normal" human biology, so it's impossible to apply universal healthcare coverage to everyone equally. Not quite Jew-horn mythology but definitely more than "sickle cell anemia affects black people differently" reasoning.

It's both racist and an astounding denial of reality.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

VoteTedJameson posted:

Grad student: "Using a ruler to measure something is a colonial undertaking." You see measuring makes a thing knowable, which makes a thing controllable. This is "the crux of imperialism."

Not a joke. This occurred.

Okay, fess up: which DnD/LF poster was this?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I prefer thangkas as a means of focusing meditation, personally.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mak0rz posted:

In Europe there are many shades of white.

50 Shades of White, perhaps? :haw:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GWBBQ posted:

Freshman year of high school, our US history teacher jokingly asked for a volunteer who was really bad at geography. A bunch of people raised their hands and he said "not just bad, really really bad" and picked one of the few people who still had a hand up. She couldn't find Europe on the map.

Was your history teacher Ben Carson?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

(During and after Katrina)
"No one should live so close to water. I don't think that humans understand the dangers in the ocean."

Did this person have jagged scar on one side of their face, a glass eye, a salt and pepper beard, a hook for a hand, a gravelly voice, and a permanent scowl?

Because that's all I can imagine and I'd rather not spoil the fantasy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

I hate to ruin your fantasy but he was a dumpy goblin that has never left the Pacific Northwest. Also racist but would think you're joking if you brought it up.

drat, I just wish it was a crusty old sea captain with a far-off distant look in the eyes, forever reliving the day he lost his entire crew to the kraken that lurks in the ocean's dark depths.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GWBBQ posted:

I don't get it.

The teacher thought it was going to be a case of "even you can find Europe on a map," but the student had apparently moved in from a district where world geography wasn't taught.

A few weeks ago, Ben Carson asked a class of kids who's the dumbest kid in class and for them to point said kid out to basically give them a little oddly-intentioned (and executed) pep talk.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Jan 26, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Geniasis posted:

I mean, you'd assume that excelling as a brain surgeon would require a pretty high intellect overall, which you would think would be pretty generally applicable but apparently not

I think Carson is an example of the term 'idiot savant' fitting perfectly.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone who writes magic as magick unironically outside of a fantasy DnD campaign is guaranteed to be off the deep end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

What about majjik?

Even crazier. Like, one eye going clockwise and the other going counter-clockwise nutso.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BigglesSWE posted:

Okay. People asked, nay, DEMANDED to have some hatty goodness. Oh yea of little faith...

Let's start with the feet....

A nice pair of Church, fine, expensive, footwear, but not what we're here for!

Main issue here is the lower half. Jeans + those shoes = super bad in combination with the coat/gloves/hat/scarf. Should ideally be dress shoes and pants to go with the top. Looks pretty goony right now but could be improved still.

Also, cute cat. :3: Props still for following through!

e: And :lol: at pointing out how expensive the shoes are and the brand.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Jan 28, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Goons are all old men on the inside, even the lady goons.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

kizudarake posted:

Goddammit, Tiggum, stop making me agree with you.

Poop dood put into words the vibe I've gotten from bigglesSWE's posts and pics.

Not to mention that he's posting from his gramma's house.

Since this will piss off Tiggum:

Biggles looks like his clothes smell like a combination of sour clothes left in the washer overnight before being dried, clove cigarettes, spilled vape juice, totino's pizza rolls and ranch, and stale tooth plaque.

He looks like he has tried getting into a restaurant under the name Declan MacManus by showing them a copy of My Aim Is True and saying he'd been sick recently.

When he farts, he ducks his head under his long coat and inhales deeply.

He looks like the kind of guy who has his own personal theory of the secret political system in the show Lazytown, knows the name of all of the VAs in both My Little Pony and the actors in Doctor Who, and rants about the Big Bang Theory being a nerd minstrel show, yet secretly watches every episode.

He looks like he knows every step to 'properly' prepare absinthe for drinking, and brings a bottle and all the implements in a wood box to every party he goes to.

(Not saying he does any of those things, but he looks like the kind of guy who would)

That's a sick roast bro :hf: laffo

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
On the plus side, having a shaved head feels great. I tried shaving my head for kicks when I was teaching English to monks as a volunteer while studying abroad in India, and it felt wonderful to just run my fingers across my fuzzy scalp. It's basically a go-to hand massager on your head!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Slime posted:

But that's what neglecting to shave is for!

I know you're being flippant, but neckbeards really do feel gross. It has that prickly new beard hair feel without the benefits of growing a proper beard. The shaved head feeling is definitely superior.
:goonsay:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jastiger posted:

I don't wear a fedora. I'm just saying he doesn't look terrible. Its his style so what. He obviously takes time to put together the ensemble rather than putting on a tshirt and sweatpants and throwing on a hat.

Not MY style, but I've seen that kind of getup go horribly wrong and he doesn't do it terribly.

So he looks fine. Stop hatin'.

fedora bad. so what?
__________/

Rondette posted:

Quick 'n' dirty.

Fedora suits cat.

No offense, but the cat looks better in a fedora than he does :lol:. The fur at least matches color.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cult_hero posted:

(passing a display of kids' 'support our troops' signs) "Those kids are so dumb. Their flag only has 10 stars. What about the other 42?"

-My brother's mentally disabled baby mamma

If you mean literally mentally disabled, then they kind of get a pass...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mouse Dresser posted:

Heh, I had something similar happen when I spoke of being on the beach in Tel Aviv. He said that the no Middle Eastern countries are in Europe, so they can't touch the Mediterranean Sea :smuggo:

With this and the other post, I don't understand. Why is it important to touch the Mediterranean Sea? What is the point? :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I bet that's the only time you made her squirt

Ouch.

Why? :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

NC-17 is the one they won't let you bring a kid to. Kids can't get into an R movie on their own but it's fine with a guardian. At least to every theater I've ever been to.

When do theaters run NC-17 movies (at least in America)? I figured it'd be like with retailers not carrying AO rated video games because they wouldn't make any money.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AlbieQuirky posted:

In cities and college towns they do.

Anecdotally speaking, I went to school in a college town and live in a city and at one point worked at an AMC theater and I've never seen an NC-17 rated movie being run. :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Practical Demon posted:

Americans are so weird.

I'm an Anerican and I agree. We're a developing country masquerading as a developed one. I guess that's what you get from a country founded by religious extremists, frontiersmen, and indentured servants/slaves.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Where would be the best place to start a topic on film revisions versus the MPAA? I find it really fascinating as well. Maybe Ask/Tell?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sentient Data posted:

PYF Censorship and Ratings; keeping it broad will let you bring in comic book ACA censorship which can also be fun (and don't forget about Standards and Practices)

Posted: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764787

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(At the bar yesterday after work)

Guy 1: "Man, gently caress Beyonce!"
Guy 2: "Why do you say that?"
Guy 1: "Did you see the song she played at the Super Bowl?"
Guy 2: "No, I didn't. What happened?"
Guy 1: "Well, she made a Black Panther salute and-"
Guy 2: "Wasn't that from 30 years ago?"
Guy 1: "Yeah! And the whole song was about hating cops! So there was a demonstration by the police to turn their backs on her."
Guy 2: "Wow, yeah. People just don't have any respect for police these days and everything they do for us."

And so on...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I was friends with a racist in high school who thought it was gross and weird that I would even consider dating or having sex with a black girl. :sigh:

It goes without saying that we are no longer friends.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh, that reminds me of some Stupid poo poo my racist former friend opined about :

"I think Hitler had the right idea, he was just an idiot and did [the Holocaust] to the wrong people [the Jews]."

Said racist friend was a Jew by heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
To have someone's mind "explode" over why babies don't have nipples is either a sign of extreme autism, or... :gonk:

• Locked thread