Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
These guys are several kinds of hilarious and I'm mildly embarrassed that I hadn't heard of them until just a few weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm working my way backwards through MBMBaM, and I have to ask, is there some kind of story behind the running Tyra Banks/America's Next Top Model gag?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is there some kind of archive torrent or direct download for MBMBaM? It would be kind of annoying to go back through 250+ episodes and download each one individually.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ImPureAwesome posted:

Does your podcast client not allow you to download all episodes?

Podcast.... client...??? :confused:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

standard owl posted:

I listened to both Death Blart episodes this week and I was compelled to check out the two scenes unanimously agreed upon to be the only actual funny ones in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGm-DTbctSM
bird fight with the pro-life pianist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txSg0WZRS3E
banana

I don't think the scenes in and of themselves are that funny, but recalling the guys discuss them while I was watching made me laugh really hard? Til Death Do Us Blart is truly the lotus flower floating above the lovely waters of PBMC2

Having seen Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 twice (a pair of 24 hour plane rides will do that to you), the bird fight scene was the only one I laughed at for the exact reason they pointed out: The slapstick element was whatever, but the joke of the professional piano player doing the polite nod and continuing to play was actually a decent joke.

I can't find it on youtube, but take my word for it that the scene where pink goo is dripped onto Kevin James's face is every bit as horrifying as they describe it in the pilot episode.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anyone remember which episode had the bit about Michael Jordan as a serial killer? That was the first joke I heard from them that really knocked me out.

Also, I chose to send in a doofy and whimsical question. How many questions do they receive in general?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

JethroMcB posted:

284: Hope and Slime? Where they speculate that out of 12 clones of Jordan, one would inevitably have to be evil.

This was it! Thanks.

And seeing as how MBMBaM does like three questions a week, I'll just hope that my question was amusing enough to get answered.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm finally marathoning The Adventure Zone after putting it off for a long time, and wow I should have listened to this sooner.

I just got to the part where Clint says during the commercial "Anti-bacterial wipes, for when you accidentally use bacterial wipes" and it suddenly becomes crystal clear where the brothers get it from :allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like the Flophouse episode for the most part, except for the rap at the very end. God drat, that was a terrible way to close out the episode.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Are there any actual stats on how popular MBMBaM and other McElroy podcasts are? I remember in older donation drives, they'd joke about how badly they wanted to beat Jordan Jesse Go, so I was under the assumption that they weren't MaxFun's #1 show.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Asiina posted:

I'm up to episode 8 of 11th Hour and I'm guessing based on context this was the episode a few months ago that was making everyone cry. I don't want to start it now at 2:15am, but this arc is just so drat good I had to share my excitement.

I just started the same arc yesterday and god drat I'm seriously considering calling in sick just to marathon through the entire arc

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Griffin is someone's father now, someone now has odds of one day finding a video of his father reciting the pokerap after eating a pikachu

Considering some of the stories the brothers have told about Clint on MBMBaM, "watching dad own himself" is probably a tradition in the McElroy family

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Asiina posted:

I finished episode 8 of 11th hour.

As expected, I cried. Travis is the sweetest, softest of boys.

Also drat that ending, Griffin is brutal.

I think the music Griffin adds in the later episodes goes a long way towards aiding the tonal shifts that the story goes through. If it were just Griffin narrating the somber moments immediately after a goof, it wouldn't work nearly as well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't think that Monster Factory would be able to get much mileage out of a old second-rate MMO, but holy poo poo did it deliver

I need fanart of Knife Dad so badly

e: I also now use "goof" as shorthand for "extended improvised joke"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hand Griffin a copy of the FATAL rulebook and let the rest sort itself out

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

showbiz_liz posted:

Well, two of them do write about games for a living. Granted it's video games, but I'd say they're a lot more likely than the average D&D player to know about it.

Anyways, entirely because of this show I'm about to buy the intro kit Griffin used for the first adventure and DM it for my friends, having only played a few sessions of any tabletop roleplaying game before (to my friends' zero sessions). I'm sure some other edition is better in a bunch of nerd ways that I don't care about and I'm sure we'll all gently caress stuff up rules-wise despite our best efforts, and I don't really care much, because the reason I want to play it is the reason I like listening to the show: because it creates a structure for hilarious and dramatic make-em-ups with people I like. (And because I might get to kill my friends horribly.)

Different editions of D&D are good at doing different things, though 5e is far and away the best for a beginning group. The further back in time you go, the more D&D's strength moves away from "facilitates an easy to learn game and speedy experience" and moves towards "is the tabletop gaming equivalent of doing whippets"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

greatn posted:

The Hogsbottom Three are Bard, Druid, and Fighter. That seems to work out pretty alright for balance since the druid is usually drunk and they talk their way through most encounters.

Is the class of Zhubin's character ever actually mentioned? I was wondering about that.

Also, it's worth noting that the Flophouse episodes have had a total of two fights across five hours of podcast. They're even more story-oriented and combat-light than the McElroys.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I finally got around to the live episode of TAZ and god drat what a good episode that was. The John Cena joke was kind of predictable, but it still killed me.

But doesn't Travis work full time for MaxFun? How little do they pay him that Clint still has to claim him as a dependent?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I finally caught up on TAZ and even though I like the guest episodes, I can see why people were frustrated with month-long breaks because god drat this is a good arc.

I don't know how Griffin keeps making up better and better premises for each arc. It's incredible.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ElNarez posted:

Griffin put up some notes on The Suffering Game on the TAZ tumblr, which are a pretty good read if a) you're kinda down on The Suffering Game or b) you wanna see how Griff thinks about making things work, which is heck of interesting.

also the new TAZ dropped

Color me surprised that there's so many people who aren't enjoying this arc, because I love it to pieces. Maybe it's because of the type of player and DM that I am, because I really enjoy situations that put characters under duress and force them to make tough choices. It's a noticeable departure from the usual tone of the series, but honestly I don't think it's that far of a cry from the finale of Eleventh Hour.

Plus the rougher the story gets, the more involved Magnus seems to be, and that's frankly my favorite part.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Honestly, the one I thought where Griffin would be a motherfucker was when he asked Merle to give up his memories of his arch-nemesis. From a meta-game standpoint, that's an easy yes because it doesn't really affect anything and the guy isn't going to show up in the campaign (probably), but it still hurt to hear. I probably would have actually yelled "Griffin, you motherfucker" if he had chosen the memories of Julia instead.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

49: How I Met Your Podcast Host

I just listened to this and it really is the most :allears: thing

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

purple death ray posted:

There's a whole Sawbones about the difficulties surrounding Charlie's birth. It's only really listenable because you know how it ends.

With Travis getting his rear end kicked?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm still not sure what the premise of the TV show is, but from the interview and new trailer, it sounds like the brothers get to run around their hometown doing really stupid poo poo, and I really couldn't ask for anything more

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

User-Friendly posted:

Not really feeling Peacecraft. Maybe it's because I never played WoW, but if dying just means picking up where you left off and slogging forward, what're the stakes? Plus the jokes are so few and far between, it really feels like an idea that could have used a little more fleshing out.

I've tried WoW a few times and died of boredom within 10 minutes each time, so I'm with you on not getting much out of Peacecraft. This might be one of those things where it's infinitely more interesting if you've played the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Visual Sneeze posted:

If it weren't for a podcast I'd say the fast and loose magic rules should totally be reined in for Travis's sake so he doesn't feel underpowered and useless - "I can't wait to cast axe." But that doesn't make for good radio so I totally get it.

As somebody who prefers to play melee dudes in D&D, I really feel for Travis when he's struggling to come up with super convoluted plans to do something cool without any magic. I breathed a sigh of relief when Justin said "You don't think a wet rope is conductive, do you?" but Griffin let it fly anyway. I can't count the number of times I've had a DM drag in IRL physics to say no to non-casters while letting the casters go nuts. I think the way to ameliorate this is to fill scenery with a lot of tiny details that can be used in a fight, ala a set in a Jackie Chan film; it's just that most DMs (self included) don't go through the effort of detailing stuff to that level.

Serf posted:

The absolute best part of any tabletop RPG is when your players do something completely unexpected and destroy whatever plans you had, leading to improvising like a madman. The things you come up with in crunch time often are the most memorable parts of a campaign.

Seconded. I keep a loose skeleton on the big plot points the PCs will (probably) hit and the critical NPCs, and the rest is just improvised depending on what the players do.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, regardless of any system they use or don't, they are definitely going to lose a chunk of listeners who just CANNOT HANDLE losing these three characters and moving on to new ones when the campaign is over.

I was actually wondering about this at the end of the Eleventh Hour arc. It was pretty clear that none of the characters were going to take the offer from the chalice, but what if one of them had? I imagine it would be a situation where Griffin says "hand over your character sheet and make a new one", which Griffin must have planned for. I'd like to imagine what that path would have been like.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Even with that one, it's only a minute-long cast plus something worth 500 gold. They've done much worse.

I'm now really wondering about the Director. The liches don't seem the type to just let people leave Wonderland even with the deal to sacrifice Cam. Is she being possessed/controlled?

Justin or Travis had to be guiding Clint through that last play. I refuse to believe that Clint has gotten that good at D&D

To be fair, the spell Merle used at the end doesn't actually do what it did, not even close.

I'm kind of hoping that in the next episode, with Magnus doing more bodyswap shenanigans, he gets some of the spellcasting powers that the liches have

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Somberbrero posted:

i think one thing that would have made a big difference is if travis had received the equivalent of the umbra staff instead of justin. for taako, it's barely ever come up, but it'd be cool if magnus had a few extra tricks.

Magnus being able to steal the fighting styles of bruiser bosses wouldn't be a bad idea

Or at least he should be able to stick all those robot and mannequin arms in his back and turn into Asura

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Jesus. I thought the T-Rex was gonna be the dopest poo poo that Griffin was talking about. I WAS SO WRONG.

What does Merle's thing actually do? I'm glad for the effect given, but I wanna see what they got away with. Also, does Clint still record with Justin? if so then I don't doubt for a minute that Justin had the spells for that entire segment written down and just slid a piece of paper to him to read out loud.

You summon an angel, a demon, or otherwise other-planar being to you, who you can then request to do something for you (but it's under no compulsion to do so, so you typically have to bargain for it).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm mostly posting this for myself because I know I'm gonna forget if I don't

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
"Unscripted Nathan For You" is probably the perfect way to describe this show

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

purple death ray posted:

They don't get actually mad ever and even when they do I'm still not 100% sure they're not just extremely dedicated to pretending to fight for a goof.

The only other time I think of is the infamous Gushie Tapes when Travis and Griffin really got into it about whether or not a character named Gushie existed on Quantum Leap and they ended up having to cut it out of the show

The tone in Travis's voice when he said "Don't you ever do that again" was pretty genuine. The way they explained it as not enough to create tension between brothers but enough to create tension between coworkers sounds about right.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BigRed0427 posted:

In compensation for it though, I feel like Magnus is becoming the central character. He's the one who has had the most plot important stuff happen to him.

Edit: My hope is that the four of them put together a source book or something so other people can run campaigns in the B.O.B world. And that Griffin posts all his DM notes after it'sover.

I think this is mostly because Travis is the one who's most into roleplaying. It's mentioned that he had created Magnus's backstory before he game started, so he had a good idea of who the character was before going in.

Contrast this to Justin's playstyle which is mostly "do whatever seems funniest at the moment", which leads to some pretty weird character growth for Taako. And Clint is the player who just wants to hang out with his friends and is along for the ride.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just finished up the episode of TAZ run by Travis, and I'd like to hear a campaign run by him. He put quite a bit of craft into his world, and the setup and stakes are very different from what Griffin's designed. His puzzle dungeon itself was a bit rough (two of the puzzles were clearly designed to be run with a grid and suffered heavily from doing theater of the mind, and the question robot would have been much better used in a social puzzle), but that's understandable for a first time DM who isn't even running prewritten materials.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

showbiz_liz posted:

Definitely! You can tell from the backstory of that world (and the Magnus backstory) that he really enjoys that super-detailed worldbuilding, and it sets up a superficially similar but probably in practice very different game mechanic (the guys are a team who get sent on missions by their boss).

Given the huge amount of backstory for the world that Travis ran through at the beginning, almost none of which was relevant to the actual episode, I'm sure it's one of the possibilities they're considering for the next campaign. (Didn't Griffin say someplace that they'd all pitched things and were working to figure out the best option?)

(From that episode I also loved Griffin's character gimmick and Justin's character's complete 180 from almost every aspect of Taako's character. Clint's character gimmick I cannot imagine working over an entire campaign.)

In The The Adventure Zone Zone, Justin made it pretty clear that he has no desire to DM. As for Clint... well, they should probably throw out the rulebooks and just do a freeform improv/RP in that case.

It's also interesting how the Travis DM episode has the three characters using more off-beat classes (monk, warlock, and bard) compared to Tres Horny Boys being all four classic classes.

On a side note, I really wish Travis had chosen Magnus to be an eldritch knight. Although it doesn't gel with Magnus' impulsive lunkhead character, it would really alleviate his limited combat options (and since Griffin doesn't keep track of memorized spells in the least bit, Magnus would make out like a bandit by circumventing the eldritch knight's short spell list).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I binged the entire thing in one go. The brothers said that they got more comfortable filming as the series progressed, and you can definitely see it. Still, I enjoyed episodes 2 and 4 the most and was a tiny bit disappointed when the show didn't do a complete swerve after the ending of episode 4.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I did not catch that twist at the end of TAZ at all. I was completely expecting some weird time travel poo poo where it was Magnus's body inside and it's like some kind of split soul thing and then Magnus fuses with his long lost self and becomes whole again. The actual ending made me laugh, but I must have missed all the foreshadowing.

I will say that I'm not really a fan of how the fight was designed, since it contains two things that I consider really big no-nos in DMing: Rendering a character useless for story reasons (and natch it happens to Travis) and relying on an NPC to bail a character out of death. It all ended up okay and had interesting consequences, but that one should have gone through another draft.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I ended up listening to Emotion due to that video and now I understand why Griffin racked up hundreds of dollars on his phone bill just to loop it on a road trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
All I can say is thank goodness that Magnus isn't a champion, because Travis would be bored out of his skull.

Come to think of it, has Taako ever even used his transmutation specialty? It ties into his backstory but I'm struggling to remember any points where he actually uses his ability to turn stuff into other stuff.