Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ariong posted:

It did make a small appearance recently. Nothing major, but he did turn himself into a goddamn Tyrannosaurus Rex.

That's a regular wizard spell that any wizard can cast (though it fits in nicely with Taako's character). As a transmuter, Taako has the ability to turn wood, stone, or metal into one another for an hour or so. I'm trying to think if it's ever come up since it's one of the weaker wizard specialization abilities but shines when you have a DM that's permissive with creative solutions (which Griffin is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ariong posted:

Seriously? Frickin wizards man. Well, I definitely remember him transforming into a hawk or an eagle or something during the first episode of The Suffering Game, and him saying that he could do that whenever he wanted because he is a transmutation guy. :10bux: says he'll never use it again.

Being able to polymorph into a weenie creature for free is indeed an ability Taako gets as a transmutation wizard at level 10. The material change was from level 2.

(The best level 2 wizard ability comes from divination, where you get to store d20 rolls and switch them out twice a day, whenever you want)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Justin and Travis have the same birthday????

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tears In A Vial posted:

So I'm almost all caught up with The Adventure Zone. I've listened to all the arcs, and I'm going back and picking up the random 'one-shot' eps that I skipped so I didn't lose track. The live shows, the bonus episodes, that sort of thing...

I've just noticed that the most recent Flop House version of TAZ is three-and-a-half hours long and I'm not sure I can handle it. I struggled through the first one where 'Scales' kept singing 'Blue' by Eifel 65 for 90minutes, I honestly don't think I can deal with that for three hours.

Is the episode good at all? Will I miss anything by just hitting 'Mark as read' and pretending it never happened?

No shade or nothing, I get that the Flop House has an audience... it's just not me.

If you didn't like the first one, you're definitely not going to like the second one.

It ends with a long rap by Eliot, and jesus it's every bit as awful as you imagine it to be.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The pancake question and the rock band question from this week's MBMBaM could easily be b-plots on the same TV show

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just finished the second episode of TAZ Nights and Travis's dungeon design has improved by a god drat lot

Pretty rude of them to end it on a cliffhanger though

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think the only non-McElroy Polygon content I've seen is an article written by some no-name weirdo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PostNouveau posted:

Listened to like 30 minutes of TAZ Nights 2, and Travis sucks at DMing. He's not even doing voices. "Here's the mission you gotta go on and here's a bunch of maps the audience can't see."

You're underestimating how much a one-shot limits a DM's design space. Travis went with the classic choice of a dungeon crawl, and if it has more then three or four rooms, it's going to be incomprehensible to the players without a map. No, it's not ideal for a radio show, but Travis hit a good balance of action and plot in TAZ Nights 2 considering his limitations. Keep in mind that by the time Griffin ran the live shows, he had been DMing for roughly two years already.

Also, most DMs don't do voices because most DMs are not Griffin McElroy or Matt Mercer.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
To me, it's the fact that all three of them have noticeably nasal voices. Typically, that's a rare trait that stands out, but when all three voices have that characteristic and you don't have faces to attach voices to, it's pretty confusing for a while.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SpacePig posted:

The problem with that sort of was that Travis was the only one to put real effort into his character's backstory, so was the only one that could truly be tempted in-fiction. Merle and Taako have never really had any strongly held convictions, while Magnus does. It was a concept that could've been interesting, but was sort of a wet fart due to... I don't want to necessarily say lack of imagination of Justin or Clint's part, but something close to it.

I would definitely attribute this to Merle, because he was just starting to come together as a character at this point. His offer was pretty weak, and stuff we discover later would have made a much better hook ("You don't have to be forced into a sham marriage and become a deadbeat dad").

Taako's rejection I kind of expected, but was also completely in character. The guy's always been dismissive of stuff, and all the plot leading up to it made sense.

I really Magnus to take it, but honestly I had the inverse expectation of Griffin: That despite being insanely tempting Magnus would find a reason to say no, which he did. I really want to see them play out the alternate universe where Magnus says yes now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I agree. Griffin was asking for a level of role playing there that was frankly kind of impossible. If I were any one of the THB in that scenario I'd be trying to think about what my character would do in that situation, but in the back of my head I'd also be thinking "So...am I going to break the pod if I do this?" and "What are the fans going to say, what's this going to do to Merle's/Magnus'/Taako's popularity?"

In Travis's position, I would fully expect that if I said yes, the DM would say "Hand over your character sheet, and now Magnus is the new villain."

And it would be awesome .

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

HolePisser1982 posted:

There's, what, ten masterworks in all of webcomic history? It's 2017, even optimistically it'll be hundreds of years before webcomics are considered in the same league as interpretive dance.

Edit: Unduly harsh on interpretive dance. Maybe wrestling?

Sorry, but wrestling is actually the highest form of art

By the way, I'm glad that on TTAZZ, they said they're looking to move away from D&D, so now all of us nerds can stop arguing about it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nerds on the internet will always compare bad writing to fanfiction because they don't read enough to realize that their genre fiction is crap too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MTV Crib Death posted:

For all Griffin's talk about wanting to "stick the landing" on the end of this arc, fundamentally changing the format of his successful podcast is a funny way of trying to accomplish that.

An easy fix would have been, "Hey let me ask my creative and funny family to write up some vignettes about what kind of mischief they'd get up to on multiple, infinite worlds" release the results in some format and then put the drat thing to bed.

Doing that and then having at some kind of in-character Moth Radio Hour would have been pretty good.

Oh well, growing pains and all that. I agree with the poster who said that TAZ is transitioning into video game cut scene ending mode, but I knew that was inevitable months ago. I'm not terribly invested in this ending, but I'm willing to stay on for the ride and mainly anticipate whatever the next saga might be.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I take it the opposite way. I'm interested in her, but really hope we get more out of her outside of being Taako Too, because I find that kind of boring and a really lazy way of handling a character that's going to be really important to one of the PC's and a major NPC.

Huh, apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just started the latest episode and of course Magnus, the character who's far and away most dependent on having magical items, has the least assets and therefore ability to make magical items. It's doubly hilarious that even Clint picks up on this.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DoctorWhat posted:

Justin is the best roleplayer on the planet.

"Who?"

Yeah drat, that was easily one of the best lines in the entire podcast

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm listening to Murder on the Rockport Limited and just realized that Jenkins was actually named after Ben Jenkins from The Dragon Friends :psyduck:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Holy poo poo, the whole Goofus vs Gallant segment was amazing

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

timp posted:

My favorite was from the Goofus and Gallant segment.

"Goofus steps on ants for fun. Gallant...?"

JUSTIN: "Gallant waits for time to take them."

Travis answering with "Let me touch it" is the hardest I've laughed in a long time

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
When did tickets go on sale? Boston is already sold out

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Combining the McElroys and Chapo would be the biggest disaster possible and now I'm morbidly curious

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Believe it or not, you can be Mad At Your Friend for Doing Bad Things and still be friends on the other side of the finish line.

There's ways of handling friends with bad behavior other than severing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Inzombiac posted:

Griffin said the other day that the sum total of his notes for TAZ is about 450 pages.
I've run long (2 years) games before and I think the most I got to was about 275.

He's a beast and I love it.

DMs... keep... notes???

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Inzombiac posted:

Am I the weird one?
For every 6 hour session I would do 4-8 hours of writing in the week leading up to and then just after each session.
:ohdear: I thought that was normal.

(I've run homebrew games for a while now and those always take more work.)

It was mostly a joke, because I'm aware that my DM style extremely improv-heavy. My notes are usually just a list of names with a few bulletpoints beneath each one.

I spend most of my prep time designing combat encounters. Story is mostly left for the players to wander around and see what they stumble into.

While I admire Griffin's ability to plot out stuff well in advance with a clear direction for where it's all going, it's 100% not for me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Suffering Game definitely could have used another draft (i.e. not needing to rely on rando mysterious NPCs to advance the plot), but watching your heroes suffer is actually good and exciting

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was at the second Boston show and some rear end in a top hat brought a sign to get picked for an audience question and just talked about his own podcast without asking a real question

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah that dude sucked, and also the raccoon "question" was bad

There were some real gems in the rest of them though

The raccoon person was obviously trying to show off how funny they were, but the brothers managed to squeeze some comedy out of that one.

The podcast guy was just a total rear end and I'm not going to be sad when he gets edited out.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Xad posted:

Yeah as weird/bad as those first two were the rest of the show was fantastic and the last three questions made my face hurt. Good on the people who had to follow up the loving bone folder question.

My jaw hit the loving floor when like 20% of the audience had used one before

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Crocoswine posted:

I have never heard of Always Sunny being classified as "cringe humor" before. Like, I know what you're referring to, but I've never gotten that feeling from the show because the characters are universally loving awful people. They will always make the worst decisions, and they will always get and deserve the worst possible consequences.

Yeah, Always Sunny isn't even close to being cringe humor.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, now there is cringe humor.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I listened to this week's live episode, and the coffee shop question wasn't that bad. It was pretty funny how passive-aggressively they handled it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just believe young people should not experience joy. They should have their hopes and dreams crushed daily and only experience joy in fleeting moments at home.

Good news: Every funny person you know has crippling depression

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SpacePig posted:

Man, audience questions were very bad this time around. Like, the sock one was insane, of course, but everything else were minor inconveniences, or not problems at all. The "People think I look young" 18-year-old in particular was a real dumb one.

Hearing about the people dressing up and having apparent rituals and such at these shows makes me never want to attend one.

Man you are really not gonna like the second Boston show

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Travis doesn't make me laugh the most consistently, but he makes me laugh the hardest. He had the best jokes on @midnight, and his line in the last episode "if you want to look older, try to look younger" was incredible.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Griffin used to do songs for MBMBaM ads and he writes most of the music in TAZ, which is pretty drat impressive for somebody who's not a career musician. Another poster in this thread mentioned a long time ago that they suspected Griffin has perfect pitch, and it wouldn't surprise me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pastrymancy posted:

The Bone Folder question redeemed the show

It was seriously like 20% of the audience, which blew my mind because I'd never heard of a bone folder before

But yeah, those first two questions really were the worst poo poo, and that barista thing from the DC episode didn't hold a candle in comparison

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I was hoping they'd leave the podcast plug guy in, but bleep out the name of his podcast, just for maximum spite

The civil war ghosts question was very typical internet lol random, but at least the brothers squeezed comedy blood from that rock

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Unfortunately, they cut an audience question where the asker said she looked too young, and the crazy reveal was that she was only 18 years old. It had an amazing line by Travis: "If you want to look older, try to look younger".

Why that got cut and the first two questions got to stay are beyond me.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
:psyduck:

I must be losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Suffering Game had a fine premise and good moments, but could have used another revision or two to give THB more chances to gently caress things up rather than relying on NPCs to do it. Although I guess arms outstretched qualifies.

I'll also always be a little sad at the missed opportunity for Taako to turn Magnus into a literal pure loving iron man.