Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Piuy is the best part of this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I mostly find both of them interesting in that they're almost certainly both simply awakened heroes themselves and at least Rafaed seems to be struggling in what little way he can against it, since he talks quite calmly to Helck about things in a tone that suggests he bears him no ill will and simply doesn't seem a good end point in line for humanity anymore - only for Helck personally. He's suggested to Helck that humanity is hosed so Helck should just go find some measure of happiness elsewhere a couple of times now I think. Mikaros isn't as nice to him, but he does have the high regeneration we've witnessed in other monsters Helck has fought and he seemed to kindly and not at all creepy in the past to have always been bad in my opinion. I think both of them, and possibly the king too are just the pawns in a greater scheme, presumably originating or at least including the enemies the demons are fighting to the north.

I'm pretty sure Rafaed and Mikaros are the actual villains here. I mean they could introduce some new third party that's "actually" the mastermind behind everything, but that would be dumb. Mikaros and (especially) Rafaed both have personal connections to Helck which along with their definitely ominous long-range plans make them good villains. Introducing someone with no actual connection to the characters beyond "I was in control all along hahaha" would be Bleach poo poo.

Mikaros seems like's the kind of villain you're meant to hate, what with gleefully smug he is about doing the evil poo poo. Him being nicer in the past is explicitly fake, since from the moment he discovered Cless he's been grooming him for his purposes.

Rafaed seems more like the noble type of villain, with an understandable goal but heinous methods that ultimately make him someone that needs to be killed. He's definitely awakened since he wasn't affected by the awakening snow, and I'm of the opinion he's the actual one with the domination power and the King is just a puppet (which is why Cless's sword didn't kill him).

I'd be surprised if the threat to the north ends up coming up significantly in the story. It seems primarily a way to have the empire be both strong but also susceptible to the potential threats the awakened humans bring. Like, that's why the emperor doesn't just pop over to the human kingdom to roast everything to ash or w/e.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

also it'll definitely go into detail on the war in the north. it's still tied to the demons and they make up like half the cast at least. you don't just set up a threat like that and then ignore it

That's literally what the manga does when they first mention the northern front, IIRC

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Some art from the author's blog

tyvm

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JimmyT64 posted:

Just gonna ask.

How the hell do you pronounce Piuy?

pwee

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yes, I know. I'm saying I thought Sharuami makes the snow naturally as her power and then either the King or Rafaed or Mikaros does some weird magic to it that makes it turn people into the mindless heroes that never die 90% of the time.

I think the forced awakening thing is Rafaed's ability which he can them amplify with his daughter's snow ability. Though that does make me wonder what they wanted Cless for; my original understanding was that it was Cless that gave them the ability to do mass awakenings like that, but I guess not. Or it is Cless's ability and Rafaed's is something else (assuming the King is not a character that command ability could be Rafaed's I suppose).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

is it so much to ask, to follow the same discretion towards spoilers that the entire rest of the internet does

Non, contrariness is important.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Argh it's so painful waiting for the next chapter.

Interesting to note that Rafaed appears to have the same weird shadow teleport thing Mikaros has got going on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm tempted to joke KyoAni, just because I think they'd do a good Piuy, but ... Bones?

I feel like Bones would probably be the best choice overall to fit the style.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

It was on a list(I believe official?) of manga that you'd like to see made into an anime and did pretty well, so maybe???

IIRC that was an official poll held by the manga it's serialized in, and yeah it did well in it (2nd or 3rd place, 1st was MP100 of course) so I wouldn't be surprised to see an anime pop up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

I think the ranks go demon kings < guardian kings < heavenly kings < demon emperor. That Shin guy is one of the guardian kings.

It's Demon Kings -> Heavenly Kings -> Guardian Kings -> Emperor Dragon. Shin is one of the Demon Kings. We haven't seen the Guardian Kings but they're implied to be the Emperor's personal body guards.

fake edit:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if this the case for anyone else but kissmanga has been shooting up some very nasty spammy popups as of late.

It's the will of the world. We must all try to be strong like Helck here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Piuy is not a bird! Piuy is a...moss???

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Mikaros face is the latest non-omake chapter made me think of Kirby final bosses.

Also I'm disappointed hyperspace isn't actually filled with Piwis.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This arc has definitely been padded out in places but given that this is the last-second ultimate final boss reveal this is probably the actual finale of things here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Some major plot stuff aside, it's little details in the writing like that that really makes me appreciate Helck. I really hope this gets adapted into an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The issue with this arc was too many climaxes and fake-outs. Fake-outs for humor and tension is kind of this series's thing, but it really didn't work well here.

• Locked thread