Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Newsflash: no one gives a poo poo about anyone’s dumbass opinions about EGS.

Post free games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

I love how everyone is butthurt about 2FA on EGS but 90% of you assholes use SteamGuard and have no issue with it.

how’s the weather on your planet?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
these games are tearing us apart!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

It's asking me to sign up for their newsletter. ie: provide them with my info. It's not like a free game on epic where you just click it and its added to your account. Having to give them information makes it, to me, not free.

lmao i can't tell if this is real or not, so well done

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
You guys realize you have to log into a dumbass Ubisoft promo, right? gently caress that noise. Nothing’s worth that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

John Murdoch posted:

I may have overstated it. It's not hard to figure out what Dear Esther is about, but piecing together the full tapestry is less of a one and done thing and much is left up to interpretation. What I was mainly getting at is that some people have a tendency to assume that Mystery = Puzzle to be Solved and if you approach Dear Esther from a mechanical perspective like that you're probably going to hate it.

A Ubisoft game that requires you to log into Uplay? Unheard of! :monocle:

You’re not going to trick me. While you’re watching a video, I will be busy not-watching it. Checkmate.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Well, well, well...guess who didn't have to sit through a 60 minute commercial like a shitlord to get his free game?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
That’s precisely what someone who just watched a 60 minute commercial they didn’t have to would say.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Crackdown sounds fun as hell. What's the closest thing to it on PC with similar uncomplicated and enjoyable open-world fun?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
allright, cool, thanks for the recs.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
disgusted @ my turgid library

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone who missed out those four Sega mini game freebies, you can actually still install/claim them due to how Steam works. Just use those links:

steam://install/1368440
steam://install/1368450
steam://install/1368430
steam://install/1368460

you rule -- thank you!!!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

hey guys, let's give away games to drive traffic and enhance our branding -- people will associate our site with fun!

said no one ever at indiegala

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
you don't understand we need to get to the bottom of exactly who is giving out the free games here because i smell something fishy and yes my monitor's on!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If the two businesses have a mutually beneficial relationship it’s not really free is it!!!!

no you're quite right! someone is getting something and it's about time we find out exactly why gog is hiding their relationship with this whole sordid "free game" bullshit.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not devoting thought to this. Time is money. I need the games to just appear in my library.

the real game is in gradually bending the will of these devs with their stupid hoops. we've already got them to gently caress off with the "watch this video for a link" and just hand out the loving link. The "end boss" of this particular game is to get these desperate pubs to just put the games straight into your account without you having to do a single goddamned thing -- not even a click. There are too many free games already, so yeah, gently caress you if you think I'm watching a video lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Hey, anyone know how to get RealPlayer working on my Windows Vista PC?
I have some .rmvb files I just put on a jaz disk and it's hard enough trying to ignore Bonzi Buddy popping up all the time when I try to open them with Winamp.

Should I try downloading the software with Limewire or Kazaa?

Pro tip: That Bonzai is not your “Buddy.” Use Clippy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I would be into Steely Dan's Wild Ride iykwim

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
have we reached the point where we’re not mashing free download buttons until we vet the backgrounds of each and every game dev? good luck finding a normal, functioning human among them all.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CYBEReris posted:

not saying some nazi bullshit is a pretty loving low bar and if someone doesn't clear it i appreciate being made aware of that, hth

I appreciate it too and it does help, thanks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

OgNar posted:

I also have never bought a Tropico and have 4 and 5 twice now.

I think I bought the second one on a steep discount and got 3/4/5 for free. There must be a difference between them, but I can't tell what it is. It's the type of game that's perfectly fine and perfectly bland and you quickly realize "hey, I've only got an hour of game time, why am I wasting it on this?" They give this series away so often, who on earth would pay for Tropico 6 and who in god's name would even want a Tropico 6? Show yourself.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

6 has good game pad controls but that's all I can tell you about it

okay, this is great.

what kind of idiot would pay for this game: idiots like me (i bought trop2)

what's the diff between them: 6 has good game pad controls

i now know twice as much about this series as I did a few hours ago. thank you, that's a wrap!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Card games, how do they work?!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
paying for a game and then paying to skip to the end boss god what a complete lame-rear end generation of kids coming up

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
your first mistake was paying for a game

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

Second mistake was actually playing one of the ones we get for free.

The point is to watch the list of games slowly grow.

Oh man you are not kidding. I l launch GOG Galaxy on my 4K and behold the sea of icons; they lead me to ponder the fundamental nature of the games themselves -- until I launch them, they are neither good games, nor bad games; however, they are games filled with possibility. Playing them would only rob me of this feeling, you understand.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Gromit posted:

For some reason I have a malformed gene or something that means I really like HOGs, even though they seem to be where poo poo writers go to die. One day I'd love to play one with a sensible storyline that will let me clear those cobwebs with my hand or just push that drat hungry cat out of the way! And who keeps locking these doors by hiding 3 parts of a key inside a fountain and a mailbox?

I want to try one of these now because it sounds a lot of clocks need to be wound and closets need cleaning. Give me a recommendation -- what's a good one that really stands out from the rest and will win me over to the genre?

edit: nevermind, I see some upthread, duh.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 3, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I said I wanted to try a Hidden Object Game, so I went on Steam and sorted by rating/popularity and Cube Escape was up at the top, so I played it.

jfc wtf is wrong with you people?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm all ready to pet cats, find the lost mail, and what's this toy rocking horse doing here? but no,no, nothing like that; rather, I'm an axe-murderer who killed his own wife.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Am I an axe-murderer in any of those or is there at least some axe-murdering that goes on? I was afraid of this; I started at the deep end and now I'm hooked on the hard stuff.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
ah right, good to know: the more it resembles a Thomas Kincade masterpiece, the more likely a HOG. I'll keep that little trick in my back pocket from now on, thank you!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

repiv posted:

For The King and Metro: Last Light Redux are both free on EGS this week. FTK is a repeat but I think this is the first time they've given Last Light away.

Next week is Halcyon 6

Metro: Last Light Redux was a GOG freebie at the end of December; it should go without saying that I'll have to claim the EGS copy as well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
wait what? no quicksave or anything?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

thanks for this!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
god drat amazon is always loving around with their systems integrations and making weird, sweeping changes that make "the amazon customer experience" a bit more lovely each day

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

god drat amazon is always loving around with their systems integrations and making weird, sweeping changes that make "the amazon customer experience" a bit more lovely each day

edit: but the main thing is you all rule for posting these free games. seriously. THANK YOU!

(edit: edit: oh for christ sake what's wrong with me tonight with the loving quote/edit? Did I just get put in charge of amazon?)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

FanaticalMilk posted:

The fact that there is still not a cart, and you have to purchase every title and piece of DLC individually boggles my mind. I don't understand how that wasn't a day one priority. How the hell did they get cloud saves into their service before a shopping cart.

lol, and i was rubbing my two brain cells together last night trying to figure out how the gently caress i couldn't find the "add to" button for all that Wargame dlc. Nope, five separate transactions required. wtf.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

timp posted:

I'm a trained musician and my five most played songs on my Spotify Wrapped for 2020 were just five songs from this soundtrack. I realize it's not for everyone, but if you like chill synth music that's both rhythmic and lowkey, definitely check it out.

Thanks for taking the time to point this out -- I'm actually gonna launch this game because of this!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

"Washington Post posted:

In testimony Tuesday, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney admitted to Apple counsel that the Epic Games Store is projected to have incurred a $719 million loss by the year 2027, even if it doesn’t allocate costs across the company. Sweeney also confirmed estimated earnings from the store that year would be $5 million, when asked by Apple’s attorneys.
[...]
The Epic Games Store’s first free game, “Subnautica,” brought in approximately 1.5 million new users on its first day of availability. Epic paid the developer, Unknown Worlds, $1.4 million to offer the game free of charge on its platform.

It was not for nothing: The offer brought 804,052 new accounts to the Epic Games Store and by Epic’s calculation, each user cost the company $1.74, according to evidence uploaded on Monday. This approach to gaining users is cheaper for Epic than taking out advertisements on social media and gets money in developers’ hands, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said in an interview in December 2020.
[...]
Unknown Worlds was paid more than most of the other developers detailed in the document, with many notable names, including Jackbox and Ubisoft, arranging mere five-figure deals with Epic. Free games led to approximately 5 million new users on the platform, costing Epic approximately $2.37 per new account.

Let's hope this business model spreads because I loving love it! Total amount I've spent on EGS = ZERO DOLLARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Right, but with EGS, I've been "onboarded" into an ecosystem that operates as a free game subscription service and nothing else.