Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

Mr Boods always laughs when we watch older shows and films, and I say, 'Oooh, that guy was on Doctor Who,' especially when it turns out to be someone who played a tertiary character in a single episode or whatever.

Anyway, we're powering our way through the original series of Danger Man, and a number of future DW actors have shown up; this evening, a Sicilian henchman baddie appeared, and I said, as usual, 'Ooooh, him, loook!'

Mr Boods chuckled and said, absently, 'Uh huh.' Let me guess, he was in Doctor Who.'

Well, yes, this handsome man was; enjoy a still from the episode, c.1960:

Mr Boods didn't recognise him.

This better be a prelude to, or reaction to, watching The Prisoner. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Look, I wasn't even aware they had shuttles on TOS.

Basically I am not a Star Trek fan.

I did see the one episode where the man went infinity speed and became a lizard then did it again to have sex with his captain and some how it was still really loving boring though

That's like saying "I'm not a fan of Doctor Who, I did see that one with the twin math geniuses, though!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

There were twin math geniuses on star trak too.

That episode was good, though. (Relatively speaking, for S1/2 TNG)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I started listening to the Churchill audios...they used he appropriate theme music for each incarnation of the Doctor he meets. This pleases me.

Wait, did Tennant and Eccleston have different arrangements? I know Smith and Capaldi do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

minimalist posted:

Been years since I've listened to Fearmonger but I have neither good feelings nor bad toward it, all I remember is it being a pretty standard "Seven fights a tyrannical regime" story, and any specific good/bad details have been washed away with time

This, however

is monstrous

Fearmonger has a really nice scene in episode 3, I think, where the Doctor is in the waiting room after Ace has been shot (trying to do a version of his sniper scene), and it's a lovely way to show him as above the villain without screaming and shouting about how powerful or clever he is, just by pointing out that he's an old man and the worst thing you could do just happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

If we're blue-skying talent, how about Cate Blanchett? Great actor, solid nerd cred, beautiful and chock a block full of gravitas. Unless Aussies don't count. She lives somewhere in Sussex now, though, so that should be good.

If we're going down that road, my perfect Doctor has been Emma Thompson for a long time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd agree that Chibnall does seem to be good at working with casting directors, because most of the casts on shows he's been in charge of are great. And I know L&O:UK is kind of a punchline (somewhat unfairly, as I quite liked it), but the cast on that was pretty great, especially the offbeat choice of Bradley Walsh (a standup comic/gameshow host) in the Briscoe role.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

You should be able to order the UK version and just set your DVD player (or computer I guess) to multi-region with a simple code (or just use VLC). Admittedly it's been awhile since I had to worry about that so maybe modern players are more problematic, it used to be you just typed in your DVD player model # + region unlock code in google and you'd immediately get a remote control code to input to remove the bullshit artificial region restriction.

A lot of them now apparently do it with hardware rather than software, which makes it harder to bypass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

why is she not front and center on her own cover AGAIN?

That's a little disingenuous outrage-wise when Alex's picture is by far the biggest on the cover, and as the eye scans from left-to-right, the first face you see.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. BF just announced the new Benny Summerfield/Who crossover set will feature Benny and the Third Doctor... David Warner's Third Doctor, battling Mark Gatiss' Master.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

And I believe "spiv" was supposed to be Ten, if only because Twelve is the magician and Eleven has more of a geography teacher's look as opposed to Ten...

I realise that's probably the intention, but I always have to double-take because Eleven feels so much like 'the magician' to me. He's the magic man that whisks you away to Neverland. And the stage magician that keeps you distracted with hand movement and banter until it's too late and the trick's done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

(not even Caves :prepop: )

FIX THIS.

(Yes, it is THAT good.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Kiddo - "I need to watch more classic Who with the Tenth Doctor."

Said as I was loading up The Deadly Assassin.

Tennant's first season was a decade ago. She wasn't able to read then, if I recall how old you've said she was. It IS classic to her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

John Cena owes William Harnell's estate some royalties.

"Your time is up/My time is now!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who's that between Ainley and Roberts? I recognise the rest, but I'm blanking on him?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dabir posted:

I thought it might be the guy from Curse of Fatal Death.

How-

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not Jonathan Pryce, how do you not recognise the mighty Jonathan Pryce!

Yeah, this!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first thing I saw Jonathan Pryce in was Tomorrow Never Dies, so I'm afraid that's what I tend to associate him with.

He's wonderfully hammy in that, though. Also in the GI Joe movies. (He plays the PotUS/Zartan in disguise as the PotUS, and is delightful as the latter)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, like Toxx said, Kirkman's whole shtick is gimmicks and ultraviolence, and that's pretty much what Invincible devolved into almost immediately. Which is a shame, because there's gems of a good, maybe even great teen-coming-of-age thing in there at times. It's kind of hilarious because he's ranted about leaving Marvel because they wouldn't kick Brian Bendis out in favour of him, like he was some misunderstood genius that Marvel didn't 'get', when all of his work for them is the same as his independent stuff, but with an actual editor to say "Um, maybe we can have the scene where Evil Iron Man tortures a woman cut down to ONE page, Bob?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Battlefield would be a pretty average story if it wasn't for the two Brigadiers being awesome characters

Eh, the idea of Bambera is better than the execution. Nothing wrong with how Angela Bruce portrays her, there's just not much on the page beyond 'punches people and makes out with pretty boy'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Suddenly the fact that so much of their output stars old guys makes me nervous. :smith:

edit: Does this mean that the whole deal with them only being able to produce content that takes place before Capaldi's run will also last until 2025?

Depends on what the wording of the contract is. It might stipulate simply anything before the current Doctor's tenure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

In all seriousness, aren't we reaching a point of diminishing returns with 4K? IIRC, you'd need to have TVs up to 80-90 inches wide to even notice any difference vs. HDTV.

The obvious direction to go after 4K is increasing the colour space, not increasing the resolution.

"No, no, dude, how can you even PLAY Dark Souls 7 at ONLY 500fps? You can totally see the difference!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gerry Anderson's stuff is really big in Japan. A couple of sci-fi anime series drew inspiration from things like Thunderbirds (I know there's a notable one that's openly stated as much, but I can't remember what it was at the moment), and Patlabor parodies Captain Scarlet for an episode.

Wiki tells me the anime you're thinking of was called Scientific Rescue Team TechnoVoyager. But you probably remember it the way I saw it, when they dubbed it into Thunderbirds 2086.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tracy-Ann Oberman playing an ice-queen administrative type in Doctor Who?! Such bold casting!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

Is there a trick to getting the 10th Doctor stuff to show up in the app?

Didn't seem to be on the Android version. I signed in, and all my poo poo was there, including the 10th Doctor collection.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hey guys, long time no forum thread.

I've checked out of the who thread for a long time, but heard some news on a podcast about kevin smith bringing "Buckaroo Banzai", a cult hit i never saw back to TV.

I did some quick googling and:

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=buckaroo+banzai

Why did nobody ever comment on how much the lead of this show looks like matt smiths 11th doctor? Its possible only i am seeing this but he's even got the chin and hair.

Buckaroo Banzai does have a certain 'American Doctor Who' vibe to it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not sure what would be weirder: Jacqui Tyler in a Torchwood audio, or a Tenth Doctor set with Jack and Jacqui.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is this the last one Myles is doing or was that talk of her being done just bullshit?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Dark eyes 2 part 1 - The traitor. Is there something I'm missing. It ends half way through then the next episode is just something entirely different.

Dark Eyes 2 takes place out of order to a certain extent, from what I recall, so don't worry, it'll make sense by episode 4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm amused that Paul and Mark were considered, but the other 3 McGanns weren't even on the list.

Also a few obvious Masters in there, like Roger Rees.

And a few really weird 'unsuitable' or not even met with choices, like DAVID loving BOWIE. The man may actually have BEEN the Doctor IRL, and nah, probably not worth having a meeting with him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Castle Radium posted:

It kind of tickles me that both Stannis and Sir Davos were considered for the part.

I'm surprised Neil Morrissey made the consideration list. A good actor, but not at all Doctorish. His old co-star Martin Clunes might've worked. He'd even been on the show before!

Liam Cunningham might've been good, actually. If anything, without the beard, he might've given Paul a run for his money as the sexy Doctor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

Big Bang Generation is great if you're a Benny fan and Engines of War is an absolute must - it fills in a lot of blanks for the Doctor and his motivation in Heaven Sent. There's a slight chance it'll be recorded with John Hurt but Nick Briggs does a great impression so its really worth listening to now. Haven't listened to many others so far.

Big Bang Generation is also fun because you get to hear Lisa doing her best Capaldi impression, which is only slightly better than her Sylvester.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, god, it's not going to happen for years, but Macqueen and Gomez? Guaranteed :aaaaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is... is he tweeting in character?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I adore the part at the end where the Doctor rails at Susan regarding Lucie's death... asking why would it be wrong for him to snatch her to safety at the last second using his TARDIS? McGann does a fabulous job sounding utterly broken.

Also, J-Ru, Dark Eyes carries on almost literally moments after To The Death's end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Light was a bit of a let down but the whole thing is so earnestly weird that I can't help but love the story.

It's also some of the best writing for and performance from Sylvester. And Sophie looked dapper as gently caress in that dinner jacket.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's pretty funny that people are bringing up the Wire, considering that's the one RTD wants them to do as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Rusty's back on scriptwriting and preproduction has begun already?
Alternatively and even less tastefully: Guess who's looking to grab some nuts?

Oh please, like Barrowman didn't say that second one to his husband when he tried the outfit on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Patient Zero's one of the ones that ties into Dark Eyes 1, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The risk of really cutting satire is being mistaken for what you're mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think I was the weird kid who read the Demon Headmaster books more than watched the TV. I was the turbo-nerd in my class, so I'd zoom through whatever the teacher assigned and usually they'd let me gently caress around in the mini-library we had between classrooms in my primary school. (We also had a real library but it was barely ever used for that purpose. I was amazed at high school when we had a library you could go to during breaks and like take books out and go home with them to read!)

• Locked thread