Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

2016 has come, and so the hiatus begins. Series 9/Season 35 had its triumphs and its less-than-popular outings, and the general consensus was 'could have been better' (even thought it won the Golden Tomato for Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror television). Clara was erased from the Doctor's memories and left the show flying on a TARDIS with Me/Ashildr, a character whose enjoyment depended on your feelings for the actress. There will be another series of the show for 2016, including a Christmas special. Filming has yet to begin, so there is no timetable for airdates yet. UPDATE: Series 10/Season 36 pushed back to 2017, so all we're getting is a Christmas special this year. Also coming this year, the young adult spin-off Class will air on BBC Three for eight episodes. I'm sure that will get its own thread by the time it airs, but you can talk about it here for now. What do we do while we wait? Well, mostly discuss audio dramas released by Big Finish, which I will get into at the end of this post. There's also cool/strange fan art we find and share, and the usual jokes:

-The Ambassadors of Death (twang)
-Robert Mugabe's secret pile of the missing 97 episodes
-Quotes from the show used to describe this very thread
-That picture of Tom Baker haunting behind Nicolas Courtney
-Colin Baker (catch-all)

Then we all wait for news to come from the BBC about ANYTHING Doctor Who, because we've had every possible argument about the Trial of a Timelord.

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Eleventh Hour. This doesn't mean to disregard the 9th and 10th Doctor's stories, but it's the easiest way to get caught up. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
UK - Drama, Horror
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations
Canada - you're out of luck
Australia - Syfy

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, BBC UKTV, Syfy

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?
Netflix has the current series up to Last Christmas and selected original series episodes. If you're in the United States, Hulu Plus has 413 original series episodes up, and I'm not going to go in-depth about the ones they don't have. HAHAHA gently caress YOU Doctor Who is coming to Amazon Prime in March. Only the current series (series 1-8) has been announced as being on.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD
It's back! Just remember the rules - no spoilers for last series, but he does know that Clara leaves, there are a bunch of two-parters, and the Zygon episodes 'apparently [sucked]'. He knows what happened for the first 8 series of the current run, and doesn't really care about the original series.

A BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people possibly like Minuet in Hell, but I doubt it). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

Monthly range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 209th(!) release next month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures line of books.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Diary of River Song
In a world where Bernice Summerfield already has an audio range, the suspiciously similar character River Song might be an unwelcome addition to Big Finish. The reception seems to be positive, though.

The War Doctor
Holy cow, Big Finish got John Hurt? You bet they did, and the Time War is heard for what might be the only time.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
In slightly less astounding news, Big Finish got David Tennant and Catherine Tate to reprise their characters. Considering they are both in the prime of their careers, this range may not be regular.

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles usually feature just one actor, while the Early Adventures feature small casts.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

Finally, it is worth noting that no Doctor Who story has taken place in 2016, and the year has only been mentioned once, in passing. This will probably change. :smithicide:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My opinion on Torchwood is that every Doctor Who fan needs to watch it, just to know what they're talking about when they say the show had some really stupid ideas in those first two series.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, at least I'll have time to catch up on the Blu Rays. :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the thing people didn't like about Moffat's era is that we didn't get enough Doctor Who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

Jon Hamm was a Doctor?

Derrick Childrens is a doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rights issues can't take away physical media. That's why I bought Gamera vs. MST3K while I could.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going out on a limb and guessing a Time Lord gives to to the Doctor during the Time War, and the Doctor says "I don't need this!" and he throws it on the floor of the TARDIS during a War Doctor Big Finish story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Re-watching Rise of the Cybermen, and having determined the episode takes place on January 2, 2007 (being Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s 39th birthday), the phrase 'Christmas has come early' seems pretty stupid to use. WHY DID YOU NOT CATCH THIS, HELEN RAYNOR?!? :argh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I suggest Planet of Evil, but that's because it was the first Fourth Doctor serial I watched.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

The story that really blew my mind was regarding the hiatus between Colin Baker's first and last season. The reason given was,"A hiatus to allow for retooling the show" and then for a year JNT and Eric Saward would come to work and sit in their offices and do absolutely nothing. They got no direction, no suggestions, no communication AT ALL from the BBC. About the only thing that happened was Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant fighting an effort by the BBC not to pay them despite having them under contract.

Then after a year, the word came down,"Okay start making the show again" so they.... just did. They put together Trial of a Time Lord but it was based on no input from BBC higher-ups, they just tried to make a show they thought maybe the BBC might prefer maybe?

I'd like to think they wanted to make it more like 'Allo 'Allo!, and have the Doctor deal with being stuck in Dalek-occupied Gallifrey while making sexual innuendos. THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

River posted:

I just finished re-watching it all and I realised something in s01. When the Doctor first goes to Roses house in ep1, just before the arm attacks him, he makes a comment about his ears while looking in the mirror, implying he has very recently regenerated. Then, when rose tries to find out more about him, you see those pictures of him on the titanic and wherever else, all throughout history, same regeneration. How long (from his perspective) do you reckon he traveled around history before he came back a day or so later from roses perspective to finish the Autons?

I've never understood how the Ninth Doctor appeared in so many pictures without once looking at a mirror or anything else where he would see his own face.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I figured out the main problem with Fear Her - the third act lasts 2/3 of the episode. The moment the Doctor figures out who's snatching the kids should lead to the climax of the story, not Olympic Stadium being drawn. I'd dare say....this was a poorly written episode!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

cargohills posted:

What Doctor Who characters have been recast?

The First Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now that the Chibnall Era has some distance from its announcement, the time has come to make catchphrases. Davies had the Gay Agenda, Moffat has the Scottish Agenda - what will Chibnall have? I expect his tenure to feature a Pop Culture Agenda, if his previous Doctor Who episodes are any precedent.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Class' cast got announced - it started filming today.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

YOU WEREN'T THERE, TOXX! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!

Imagine Superboy Prime on every comic book cover for all eternity.

That's not exactly the best metaphor - we're SUPPOSED to hate Superboy Prime.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Toxxupation posted:

I don't get the analogy but wrestlemania was literally the first ever live wrestling I've ever seen

I'll put this in terms you can understand.

Imagine there was a 4.5-hour long Doctor Who, and it was the Zygon Inversion - you knew something bad was coming in from the build up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think it's probably for the best if they don't find those missing three episodes from that serial.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Organza Quiz posted:

My vote for most middling is the pirate episode from season 6.

The Space Pirates only has one episode surviving, how would you know if it's middling?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who could be a part of RiffTrax' cinema shows this year, if BBC Insiders isn't just making things up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

The Peter Cushing films or are they doing what they did with Lost and riffing on episodes?

Episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We need a new Doctor Who Reference Guide that lists everything DW chronologically. The old one stopped updating after the Day of the Doctor, and might also be gone.

e: Still up; it's the splash page that's broken.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 13, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out that not only do the Germans get 7th Doctor DVD seasons, but now the 6th Doctor's seven non-Trial serials are in collections. Why is 2 Entertain still dragging their feet on this? :argh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
When Tom Baker dies, it'll be weird having two Peter Davidsons.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't think anyone nice should Fear the Walking 8th Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peter Capaldi and Heaven Sent are in the running for Emmys. That's.....pretty good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

After The War posted:

Why the hell am I listening to Graceless?

Did you not read my OP?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

I resent you grouping Charlie under the "who gives a poo poo" category!

Still don't give a poo poo about her series :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Romans sure starts off weird. You'd think the TARDIS falling off a cliff would have SOME immediate follow-up, as opposed to taking a three-week time-skip.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If this is true, and a completely missing serial is being animated and released officially, then the BBC must have gotten a surplus of funding that makes the Tories angry.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Someone British needs to explain BBC Three to me ahead of Class - does it have a linear channel, or is everything On Demand?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

It used to be a linear channel that was on real TV, but budget cuts have forced the content online so it's basically all VOD now, with some micro-vid, social media and blog content on top of the longer form video

Interesting. Do new episodes debut weekly or all at once? I'm hoping it's the former, so BBC America can show them on a same-day delay.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

Is this a sign of future reconstructions to come? Or is is more likely that this is a one-off?

Well, if there is more to come, there's a certain poll they can look at!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Capaldi has confirmed that Series 10/Season 36 will begin airing in April.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

I am not okay with this wait. Like, at all.

Well, we've got Class, which could be interesting, then we've got the Power of the Daleks animation, and then we've got the Christmas special. It's certainly no wilderness.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Stephen Moffat posted:

You may be aware that John Barrowman has been saying, publicly, that I've been blocking a new series of Torchwood. To be very clear - I haven't blocked it; I wouldn't block it; I wouldn't even be ABLE to block it. I didn't even know a revival had been mooted till I read about it on the Internet. As John perfectly well knows, it's not my show and I could no more prevent it happening that he could cancel Sherlock. I am bewildered, and a little cross, even to be included in this conversation. For the record, I really liked the show (especially the third series) and would be very happy to see more - monsters and mayhem, why not? But the fact is, it has nothing to do with me. Please pass this on to the anxious and the angry - I've had enough hate mail now.

Hooray?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Reminder: There will be a DVD of Power before the end of the year!

Well, kind of.

Speaking of the Power of the Daleks, are we going to try to simul-watch the reconstructions? The episodes are going to be released on day at a time in the UK, but broadcast all at once in the US.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Class will debut its first two episodes on BBC Three on October 22. No date yet for BBC America.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just wish they had chosen a more interesting name. Call it 'Coal Hill' or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

Also, where is literally anyone we recognize from the handful of times we've seen modern Coal Hill?

(If they have William Russell cameo in the flesh as the head of the school board, I will :toxx: myself to watching every single episode of Class they ever produce. Has to actually be Ian as played by William though. No pictures or busts or namedrops)

Mr. Armitage is the only character I can find from modern Coal Hill to be in Class.

• Locked thread