Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
As impenetrable as the amazon.

And Just as unfuckable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Nuclear Throne is such a great fit for the Vita, it's a real shame the port job makes Isaac look good.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Delusibeta posted:

Nuclear Throne's performance dies a death in the later stages. It's also very prone to crashing.
Later stages nothing, the second boss' death explosion turns the game into a slideshow.
There are also incredibly noticeable graphical errors in the hud, like more than one weapon has a mis-matched reload silhouette and the shovel icon is completely hosed up. It's just shoddy.

It does boot up pretty quickly though, which really takes the sting out of the crashes.

Edit: After looking at a video of the PC version I'm pretty sure the Level Portals don't always spawn in the right place which is an annoying time waster and actually fucks up some advanced strategies.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 14, 2016

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NESguerilla posted:

How is the Jak and Daxter collection? I've never played the series but I like me some ND games.
The Vita ports are pretty poor on a technical level and frankly the Vita is poo poo for PS2 ports in general because they've designed for a controller with four extra buttons and the back/front touchscreens are not an acceptable replacement.

As for the games themselves:

The original is a competently executed 3D collect em up platformer. The Crash Bandicoot guys do Banjo-Kazooie.

Jak 2 plays the largely same but set in an openworld dystopian future city and is Shadow The Hedgehog levels of "the focus group said to make it more edgy". A lot of people hated this game for straying so far from the tone of the original, but unlike, say, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within the original was like a more competent version of Bubsy the Bobcat and the new story was told with some pretty decently voice acted and animated cut-scenes so It never really bothered me.

Jak 3 is just more Jak 2, but with a large desert environment and a larger focus on driving dune buggies around a large desert environment.

They took the next logical step and made the fourth game a combat oriented cart racer.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Endorph posted:

i wouldn't really say jak and daxter 2 and 3 are 'more edgy,' just have more of a plot. daxter spends the entire game making fun of the story's attempts at getting darker so it's hard to take it at face value.
The game opens with the previously silent protagonist vowing to kill the man responsible for his two years of imprisonment and torture while braking out of his restraints by going dark super sayan.

You're right that they handled the story with a good amount of self awareness and humour, but it's pretty obvious how much influence marketing had over direction the sequel took. Like I said I didn't particular care for the setting of the first game but I can see why people who really liked it wouldn't like the new direction.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
EDF 2 is the better of the two in every respect except for graphics.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
it turns into a loving dragon

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Portable FF12 would have been nice, but I can't exactly blame them at this point.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

MisterAlex posted:

I don't care about trophies, myself, but if you're going to have them, don't implement them in such a bassackwards way that makes them pointless and frustrating for players to try to earn.
So you don't care about Trophies, you just care about the people who do.

Okay then.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Did the SK thread get gassed?

Not complaining about talking about a Vita game in the Vita thread, just curious.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Really Pants posted:

let's talk about good games instead

is God Eater Resurrection's
that ended quickly.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SelenicMartian posted:

If I remember the PS2 version right, there's one mission with a massive cave and a pit of spiders where you're expected to jump down to them. If you don't a if you have a grenade launcher big enough, you can just blast them from your perch with only a few hopping anywhere near your position.
You can pretty quickly take down godzillas with a half decent rapier. Crank up the difficulty and try to land on them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Phantasium posted:

That's because Dewprism is a rad name and we got robbed.
Wasn't that because they thought it sounded too similar to 'Jew Prison' or was that just a myth?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I thought Ultra Despair Girls was about tourturing the player.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
On the one hand it's bullshit to decide something isn't suitable for anyone instead of giving it the highest possible adult rating.

On the other hand lol if your business model revolves around selling japanese lesbian orgasm weapon games in loving Germany.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I bought Shiren on this thread's recommendation (plus it was on sale). I have played mystery dungeon before but not Shiren, so I was surprised how difficult it is. It seems like a game that will take a while to really get to grips with, lots of weird systems and obscure mechanics to learn. I thought I'd run through the tutorial before getting stuck in but whenever I completed all the tutorial missions another three pages of them appeared.

I got to the point where nighttime became a thing and the tutorial npc was like 'ah I see you already know all about fighting at night' and just left, which was weird because i had no loving clue about it (still don't).

Nice pixel art though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you like guns in jrpgs play Wild Arms instead.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ruggington posted:

wild arms aged like spoiled milk
Real nice music tho

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh cool I will finally play 999, Its sort of insane that the first game in such a story based series was physical only for so long in this day and age.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SylvainMustach posted:

Dragons Quest Builders is going 20 right now on Amazon through the digital code
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Builders-Vita-Digital/dp/B01M029692/

I may get it. Should it be an issue if I haven't played a DQ game before?
Not in the slightest.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm not familiar with the PC version so I can't say how it compares feature-wise but it runs fine and is well suited to the Vita D-pad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My vita charger broke awhile ago and now that I have a Switch I don't know if I'll ever bother replacing it. RIP my Vita, you were a fine machine with a wealth of cool games and I can't believe Nintendo of all companies has finally made you redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Which digimon game had the most and biggest titties in it?