Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if you're lost, just go deeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I've started this game a couple times and bounced off it each time. I absolutely love the environment and most of the mechanics, but I got really annoyed how small my inventory was, and how much of a hassle it was to build lockers constantly. Is there any better form of mass storage in this game? Maybe modded minecraft/factorio has spoiled me, but I want something better than "a lot of inventories".

build a single tube with a hatch, fill it with lockers and you will not have to worry about storage any more

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mason Dixon posted:

Started this game a few weeks ago after randomly checking out the early portion of a markiplier LP, and have been playing on survival mode as time allows. Really enjoying the atmosphere and exploration, even though it's also quite terrifying at the same time. I was spoiled about the reaper leviathan surprises near the Aurora watching the lp (as well as the presence of islands), but haven't seen anything beyond about 300m deep. So the only reaper I've run into so far was when I stumbled into the dunes(?) while looking for random equipment to scan, and my seamoth kindly asked me if I shouldn't re-evaluate my life choices a split-second before a reaper showed up almost right in front of me. I suddenly remembered that I had pressing business back at my lifepod and mumbled something about regrettably having to take tea another time before getting the hell out of there. And going by the lovely sounds I was hearing from down below while swimming around looking for beach access to the mountain island, I narrowly avoided a second encounter. You know, somebody really should call up mythbusters and ask them to revisit their brown note episode while playing this game.

So I've explored both islands, got rid of the Aurora radiation, got the first depth upgrade for my Seamoth and just built a nifty Cyclops last night (I wanted to do something different than the standard yellow sub, so I made it black w/ white trim and called it the USS TorpedoTed). I have prawn suit blueprints, but don't think I've found one of the materials to build it nor any upgrades for it. I haven't built a base yet, because of my crippling need to build the first one in just the right spot while not having actually explored a good chunk of biomes because :ohdear: . I do have a thermal reactor blueprint, so I want somewhere pretty, not too far from basic resources and near a thermal vent, if such a place exists within my current reach. But I really need to do so soon, because my biggest annoyance is how quick it seems like food/water run out, so I really want to make an aquarium and a melon garden. Though I haven't tried doing that in the Cyclops yet, would be great if I could. After that... I think I have a few more lifepods to investigate, then I guess find some blueprints which will let me go deeper?

yeah

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/Osiris_New_Dawn/

Osiris sorta scratches the 'more Subnautica' itch, and it's multiplayer. Nowhere near as much fleshed out story as Subnautica, though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

If I just finished exploring the aurora and built the prawn what should I be aiming to do next?

the answer is invariably 'look for somewhere deeper to go'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

After playing Log Cabin simulator The Forest I decided to check out Water Monster Simulator, is there anything major I should know going in blind, I'm on PS4 so mods are right out by the way.

a) don't play hardcore and b) you won't eventually die a la The Long Dark, there is a purpose and end to the game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What is the best way to power a scanning room at depth? Will solar panels build energy that deep? Do I need to put up a reactor? Will power transmitters transfer cyclops power?

bioreactor is great for power

people sure are obsessed with that scanning room. i've done three full playthroughs and never built one. you don't need it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zesty posted:

Have you had a playthrough where you did use one?

yeah. it's like fine as a novelty but you absolutely do not need it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i was real pissed at losing a 17 hour or so ish hardcore save to clipping in to a wall so i put the game down for like 3 months but i went back to it and did it again, not on hardcore, from the beginning, and had fun

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I don't really fear the sea at all but people who can stomach having their main base anywhere other than the safe shallows disturb me.

entrance to the lost river, underneath that crab warper fucker, near the containment facility, is where i ended up finally putting a base down, ended up being a great spot

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I'm tempted to start my second playthrough and use the console to spawn a Cyclops right away and just live out of that. All the benefits of having a base, but you can move it around how cool would that be

you can be in a cyclops in like, two hours from the beginning of the game if i remember correctly. not quite as fast as the console, though

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

This game. I built the Cyclops before I got all the scans for the Prawn suit. I pushed the plot forward a little, got through the Aurora and Enforcement Platform, picked up the last few Prawn scans in there. Got some nifty depth upgrades for the Seamoth. I put a little scanner room in the corner of the Lost River. I'd been taking the Seamoth up and down to get all the parts down there, couldn't use a little solar array at 600m deep and built my first bio reactor. I wanted to take the prawn suit down, but legitimately wasn't sure how to get it back up the cliff face. Loaded up the Cyclops lockers with a bunch of advanced materials I had found.

I'm curious if my nigh-catastrophic fuckup is apparent at this point. I wanted to put the Prawn suit in the Cyclops, take it down to my little base there, use the drilling arm for all the big resources. So I begin taking the Cyclops down the cave entrance I had found, saving frequently when I'd made a little safe progress. The cyclops really has a way of blinding you. I was diligently checking cameras, only having little minor scrapes and scuffs, but pulled back from the console to see the entire stupid ship on fire. Loaded back from the old save, tried again to get back to my little base with the 900m crush depth prawn suit in tow. Had the ship on the verge of collapse again, was really confused because I'd hardly moved from the save state.

Third time I took a better look around. At the save point, I already had water coming into the ship. I finally got my camera high enough to see that i'd saved it at 582m out of a 500m crush depth for the Cyclops. So it took me 4 or 5 tries to get it out of that state, refining a little bit each time. Load game, switch to screw camera, drive backwards & up out to 500m ended up being the trick.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zesty posted:

I wish Below Zero didn’t have an early access phase so we could just go into it blind with everything available. I didn’t like Subnautica’s piecemeal feeding of the campaign.

Just...wait to play it until it's finished?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hey, can I pop over to the island and deconstruct the Degrassi bases for precious glass?

negative

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

as a grizzled veteran of early access subnautica, i say this with all sincerity- just wait until release for below zero

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I disagree, I played through the main game in early access several times. It was fun and didn't lessen the experience of playing the final release.

i found it incredibly tedious and painful to have the story doled out in bits and the 2 gigabyte save files weren't fun either

by all means, buy it. i did. just don't play it until it's actually finished

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoingPostal posted:

I think I've plateaued in Subnautica at the moment. I got the last breadcrumbs down to the Jellyshroom forest, and nothing after that. Should I go looking for big wrecks to try and finish the cyclops? I think I've gotten everything out of the Aurora, and I think I've been over the floating island.... Have I gotten to far lost in the (sea) weeds and lost the main plot?

no, you've still got a substantial way to go. make it a goal to try to go as deep as you can

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

*in zoidberg ovice* try to find all the edges of the map; why not?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OgNar posted:

Does Below Zero play on the same engine?
I'm pretty much at minimal specs for Subnautica on my laptop, though it runs fairly well except for a few things like the portals.
Just wondering if the new one just as well or will it just kill my vid card?

same engine

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

Hey there! I'm sorry for not reading ten thousand pages of backlog before asking a question I'm sure has been asked many times before, but...ten thousand pages of backscroll.

I'm looking at Below Zero. I'm a huge Subnautica fan and I'm definitely 100% going to buy this expansion sooner or later, but I'm worried that if I get it too soon I'll only get half the content, then later the other half, but neither will feel really satisfying because of the small chunks i got it in. Also bugs. So, is the game in a state right now where it's worth buying, or should I wait until its more developed?

wait

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I just smoke vast amounts of weed so I forget where everything is

truly the pro-est of strats

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yarbald posted:

Anyone have experience running this on a Mac? I’ve been playing on PS4, but the performance is really bad at times, I’ve had lots of issues falling through the floor... I noticed on Steam that my iMac meets most of the suggested specs, wondering if I should make the jump.

it's pretty poorly optimized for PC. i haven't checked out a game on a Mac in years but the last time I did, they weren't really up to the task

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean...subnautica with a map is what. like a 6 hour experience?