Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aaaaa! How did I not know about this thread until now?

gently caress I love Subnautica. I hadn't played it until this past May, and I haven't yet played Below Zero, but yeah. Easily one of my top 5 games of all time. Just a beautiful and wondrous experience.

I suck at hardcore, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

uXs posted:

poo poo, now I kinda have the urge to try out hardcore.

It definitely changes your mindset with every action you take. Never used the floating air pump with pipes? Enjoy using them now, because they're SO much more useful. Same with the emergency air bladder thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Reminds me of how I thought I needed to add a base air pump to get air to my base.

Welp.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Hard same, I was very frustrated when I found out that it just does the same thing as a floating pump but is distinct for some reason.

Of course that was like four years ago, wild the poo poo one retains

It's crazy (but neat) how long this game has technically been available. Like I said, I just played it in May, but I'm seeing some LPs of it that are 3-4 years old. Game still feels fresh to me, like it was made this year.

I really need to give BZ a shot. I know it's a different vibe, but I need something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Welp, hit a frustrating snag. Loaded up on a MK3 Cyclops depth module and a ton of supplies, headed down into the lava caves further underneath the quarantine facility, to the deeper facility I'd seen before but been unable to get past the leviathan guarding it. Aaand it's immediately locked, looking for a tablet. Well I used my only spare at the secondary door in the quarantine facility to unlock a single console with another lore entry. I assume this isn't actually the thermal power facility mentioned in the clues section of the codex? That says 1200 meters and this is at 1450. I expect there's some other cave network on the map that I should be investigating instead? I'm not aware of any unless I missed a branching path from the acid river caves that the quarantine facility is part of. Can yall offer a hint? Either where that is or where I can find more tablets.

Yeah, this happened to me. What colour tablet do you need? There's likely a different path that you missed, I think it's around the lava castle. I don't think there's a way to permanently screw yourself over, just a matter of backtracking and finding the right spot before where you are, which is definitely meant to be found afterwards.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Degasi saga is my favourite part of this game. If you've beaten the game but still haven't checked out the cinematic trailer, I recommend you do it now. Even if you saw it once before playing, rewatching it after you've been through everything is neat.

It's a cinematic that is set to Bart's final audio log, recorded approx ten years before you crash landed on the planet.

What always struck me with that whole storyline is just how cavalier they are with going so far underwater. Sure, there was some hesitation, but I'm over here making GBS threads bricks because a crabsquid is chasing me in my seamoth, and meanwhile, they're all "So, we're definitely heading 500m below the surface, we'll be fine. Oh, we're here and Bart's bored." The bulb forest or whatever biome it is near their 500m base just fills me with equal parts awe and dread.

Like....fuuuuuuuck, I don't think I have thallassophobia, but I'm at least somewhat anxious about, I don't know, the potential of never seeing the sun again. :ohdear:

Also, with the dad's final log where he talks about thinking that he saw a light below that he's going to go investigate... was that a mesmer?

Edit: actually, you know what that reminds me of? Silent Hill 2, at the historical society/prison, at one point, James sees a big hole, and the game states "you can't see the bottom. Jump in?". And that's what you're supposed to do, but IRL, I'd be literally looking for any other option. Anything. Gah.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 23, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the Cyclops, but I have both clipped out of it (while unequipped at the time to be in the Lost River :gonk:) and have seen one of those electro sharks clip through it. That legitimately startled me, because I didn't know it had happened until I stopped piloting the ship, turned around, and one of those fuckers was staring RIGHT AT ME, wiggling around. Aaaaaah!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This leviathan talk is completely different when referring to hardcore mode.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eschatos posted:

So what was the deal with all the other survivors from the crash? I remember some radio messages that implied they were being hunted down by something, but never saw any more info on that

You know how you got knocked out at the beginning? You were out for 3 full hours.

During that time, well...:stare:

Later on, or maybe already, you'll get a radio message from the warper hive mind, stating they got rid of everyone else and there's one subject unaccounted for.

That'd be you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Getting the thermal module for the Cyclops was incredible, because it meant I didn't necessarily need ion batteries or power cells for when I go down deep, and can still use all of my cool poo poo. Also, I really wish you could make those (the ion power cells) a lot sooner than you can.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One aspect I truly love about this game is that it allows me to prepare. I hadn't gone down to the lost river yet, but I knew I had to start looking for it. I did, I found it, and barely made it out alive.

But I knew I had to go back. There was no time limit, no bullshit gatekeeping, I COULD have gone right back. But no... I decided that I was going to spend as much time as I wanted preparing for my huge journey. I made batteries for my gear with 2x extras just in case. I made 3 full sets of power cells for the Cyclops, which I put into a locker near the engine room, specially for hot-switching them out when needed (this was all before I got the thermal thing that recharges everything). I had food planted, SO many extra torpedoes.

Like it felt so good, so immersive, that I was solely responsible for my success or failure, based on just how much boy-scouting ("Always Be Prepared") I was doing, and nowhere in the game did it tell me to do any of this.

There was no bullshit checklist (not saying the rocket and platform are bullshit, they're not, that's a specific objective. There was no guide. It was "you know what you need, generally, you have a good idea of the crazy poo poo you'll get into, and you have all the time in the world to prepare as you see fit."

That's when I knew that this was one of my favourite games of all time. :kiss:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't really get the thing about backtracking for the cure ingredients. Portals to every ingredient are right there in the base, each one takes you to within a few meters of the thing you need to get.

I didn't backtrack for those, but goddamn, did I have to backtrack for the rocket stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

My fav spot for a base is in the red grass zone right over top a jellyshroom entrance which is next to a downed pod and a wreck.
My scanner pretty much covers everything I need, including teeth.

Same! I built a base near there, and it was great.

And then one day, I picked up a Reaper on my scanner :gonk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

My problem the last few plays have been that Stalkers have been stealing my drones from my scanner room.
I didn't think I was even that close for them to be finding it.
While my scanner picks up teeth I am still pretty far from the creepvine area.
Last time I just pocketed one and put the other a little bit in front of my base.
I really only use them as free base markers.

I built the HUD add-on ASAP and just kind of then considered the cameras as stalker toys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

star eater posted:

wow i just built the cyclops and gently caress this thing is a boat!! (it’s a sub)

also shocked to see the depth modules for the seamoth go from 200->300->900 lmao

2000 IQ me was like “i know, I’ll put a power cell charger in my cyclops to keep the engine tip top” and whoops the game does not let you do that in a way that does anything useful lmao

The thing I LOVE about Subnautica is how it let me prepare (or not!) at my own pace, in my own way. Before I got the thermal charger, I made a plan to have backups of backups of backups of power cells and batteries, food, torpedos, just everything all set to go.

Because I was intensely afraid of the deeps, so I needed to have a full mobile base for my treks there. And it didn't disappoint (or let me disappoint myself).

You ever get that cozy feeling when you're in a nice warm car during a wicked blizzard or rainstorm? You're comfy and dry and warm, and outside is just insane?

That's what the Cyclops felt like for me. I had a bed, lockers, posters, plants... And meanwhile, outside, there were horrors and things that wanted to eat me.

Goddamn, I love Subnautica. :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

star eater posted:

thats how i played og subnautica, on switch. i’ve had several crashes and the pop in is actually horrible but it’s playable. I really wanted to be able to play it portable.

I played it for something like 75 hours on Switch and only experiences a handful of crashes (aside from the Aurora! :haw:)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I built a base that was on the ridge sort of overhanging the jelly caves entrance, and as we all know, that's sort of near the rear end end of the Aurora, otherwise known as Reaper playground.

I had one hang out for WAY too long outside of my base. I had an observation deck, so it was neat to see, but goddamn, it just kept trying to get at me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress I wish this game was officially 1-4 player.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think since bases are generally equally functional (assuming you build all the necessary stuff), I'm interested in aesthetics in base building/planning. Anyone have any nice looking layouts?

Obviously the look with be fairly limited, given the part variety or lack thereof but I've seen some crazy and awesome stuff online.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Way to go Sparks... You broke the controls, AND you're dead.

Edit: Subnautica: Pod 6 WAS jerks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

Here are some screenshots of my base:

The jellyshrooms are bright enough for me to use as 'runway beacons' and there's enough space for the PRAWN to navigate without issue

I've tried keeping things symmetrical, which is why I've put the moonpools in a north/south configuration. I also started a rooftop garden to keep a supply of everything I'd need for crafting, plus some of the more interesting plants I've found during my travels.

I exit on the left side of the room, and preferred to have a wall there for lockers and the fabricator. Chances are I'm just dumping a bunch of materials and maybe topping up on some food and water before continuing with my exploration or resource scavenging.

One of the multipurpose rooms is used as a charge and modification bay. I can also collect more water and salt as required.

If I build a ladder, I can access the storage room below. I now have two of these rooms set up, which is definitely overkill. The walls are all reinforced to help maintain base integrity. The autosort mod means I don't need to physically collect materials every time I want to fabricate something.

The central multipurpose room has the radio, medikit, garbage disposal and wall planters. I could have planter boxes in the middle of the rooms, but I'm not feeling annoyed yet by the amount of interaction required with individual wall planters. It's only a new change, so I'll see how I feel.

The rear of the base. The second moonpool was only just added, so I've not fleshed out this side. You can also see the separation of the upper and lower sections of the base. The double-height aquarium in the lower section is entirely frivolous but looks pretty.

The windowed multipurpose rooms have aquariums containing a couple of Ampeels for power generation. The rear multipurpose rooms have aquariums full of Reginalds for curing/cooking.

The base is still able to take advantage of solar panels and there's a thermal vent directly below it for geothermal power. My original base idea was to use aquariums that fed directly into bioreactors, but that was scrapped due to the dumb way the games handles power management. I'd have 3x full bioreactors idling while the other was constantly at 0 power. The Ampeel power generation is from a mod, but there's been an issue with how much power is being produced. It's essentially infinite power, so I'm not going to complain too much about that!

I loved this! Wish I played on PC, because I could definitely use an auto sorter.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

My craft were all some variant of WET, depending on their manufacture order. WET1, 2WET, W3T, WET4U. It’s a very finely crafted joke.

Yellow crew checking in, but I was going for a Jacques Cousteau/Steve Zissou theme.

There needs to be a Klaus mod.

"Not if I don't see you first."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Prawn Suit is always named Ripley.

I named my suit PrawnHub, and coloured it black and yellowish-orange.

Because there were no depths it wasn't willing to sink to!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

More Subnautica and BZ stability updates are coming.

I wonder what else they have planned? I haven't bought or played BZ yet (my platform is switch, so I feel like I've made the right choice), but I definitely will whenever it becomes more stable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Let's be clear that I am enjoying myself but it's very infuriating. Also gently caress those teleporter dudes. They need to CHILL.

Just wait until you hear their broadcasts... :stare:

My most stressful moment was searching the Degasi base that was 500m underwater, and those crabsquids that almost wrecked my ride out of there. I left at first without the tablet, and then realized I had to go back.

Felt like a disaster movie where the protagonist BARELY survives.

This game is real good poo poo, man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of draw distance, how bout that mountain island, huh?

I get that it's in the fog but like.... That poo poo doesn't show up until I'm essentially RIGHT THERE.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

On the plus side, when your Seamoth gets trapped inside the island terrain then it can be used as a free beacon.

Yes. "Free"...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Hull reinforcements add +7 and you can slap them on the outside of hallways and some rooms. The tip for making ridiculous big bases with glass windows everywhere usually just means "somewhere offscreen there's a bunch of straight hallways with reinforcements out the wazoo"

That, or you just resign your glass hallway'd base to have reinforcements in all of the hubs and moonpools (if you can even put them in the moonpool, can't recall).

Those reinforcements go a LONG way.

I realize this is kind of what the post I'm quoting is saying, but my point is, I recommend focusing your windows on the hallways, rather than making a room have windows everywhere. I feel like you get to see more that way.

And I don't mean 'put a window in your hallway', but rather 'build glass hallways.'

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 8, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

You need lithium for hull reinforcement. A cheaper method is to install bulkhead doors but they give less hull strength.

Lithium is found in the deeper areas of the game. Though there’s an easy way to get a ton: the weapons platform island has a cave with tons of easy to pluck lithium, diamonds, and gold. But it’s full of spiders, so get stabbing!

The Repulsion/propulsion cannons make fighting spiders actually fun, and I love it.

With the knife, ehhh... You're really reminded about how little combat was a priority of focus for this game (which is fine, it didn't need to be).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Apparently having the Moon Pool too close to the surface damages it. How far down does it need to be to avoid taking "Anti-Crush Depth" damage?

I think this is being addressed in an upcoming patch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I treat my moonpool like a garage and only really have one interior entrance/exit to the rest of my underwater house. :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I played the entire game in flat before I had the VR option and when I came back to try it in VR, the biggest difference I immediately noticed was that the water seemed DEEPER. Like, the starting shallows? Feels so shallow in flat, but in VR, it has so much stronger a sense of scale, it suddenly seems surprisingly large! I think flat tends to shrink one’s perception of the environment, and VR tends to magnify it.

This is sort of related and not a criticism, but is 'flat' the official or commonly used term for a non-vr experience? Genuinely asking, because this is the first time I've heard it. Makes sense and seems like it should be.

This game, Skyrim, and Superhot are my top 3 "I need to experience them in VR!" games. Elite Dangerous would be up there but I've never actually played the game normally. Or flat, as you mentioned. Seems like any sort of driving/flying/spaceflight game would be perfect for it, as you're only really moving your head and arms anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

star eater posted:

I just got out of a session and wowie you weren't kidding. Just lurking around the creepvines felt like i was super super deep. I can't imagine later in the game when I'm descending like down to 500m+ @.@

Goooooooooood luck with the Degasi bases!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Also while running off a crafted consumable, the decoy launcher for the Cyclops can be a fun time. Seems pretty hit or miss but hey, burns less power if you are not swimming in power cells.

And the only thing in the way of you having a poo poo ton of power cells is time. Stock up! On those and decoys.

Then you'll be fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like putting a foundation platform over thermal vents, so I can get a nice flat surface where I have room to pack in 5 or 6 thermal plants :unsmith:

This is a drat good idea.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Make sure to install a power cell charger so your Cyclops never runs out of energy!

Oh, you.

:allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dyz posted:

Also, stuff youve already unlocked shouldn't show up in new wrecks

This can't be true; I've definitely found double/triples/quadruples of parts for things I've already built and was using.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

We actually know the answer to this one: wrecks are populated with fragments either on game load or when you first get close enough to the wreck in question after a fresh load.

So if you load in with no laser cutter unlock, get the cutter, clear the Aurora and build or explore for a couple hours, but decide at the end to get into a wreck which you’ve been passing by but unable to cut open, you’re likely to find a mess of laser cutter fragments in it.

Same wreck, if you save and reload outside of it, will have other stuff or be mostly empty.

Ah, interesting. So effectively, the best thing to do, after getting parts together for a number of items, is to save, quit, reload, before searching other wrecks for more stuff?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

You must really like aggressive fauna.

When I listen to the audio logs from Paul, Bart, and Marguerite, I always do a big ol' :psyduck: :stare: when one of them suggests going deeper.

*I* could survive on the floating Island.... I don't know, build more gardens, Bart.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

As far as I can remember, I don't think so? On the bright side, the regular coral to make bleach is seemingly infinite per node. Which is why I probably tended to make my initial hobo base near some.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, too. Just empty your inventory save for your knife, and go hog wild.