Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

Had a few more thoughts about small stuff I'd like to see in the game.

Some sort of alt-mode for the hab construction tool that lets you paint your bases. Nothing too fancy, just a way to add in a bit of colour. Maybe a sort of way to cycle through some basic colour themes in each compartment/room, like how you can with signs. That way you can theme your bases up a bit, maybe colour-code certain sections.

Ways to "Mark 2" or otherwise upgrade/alter existing seabase features. Maybe you build on top, like a second layer over the existing equipment, or they gain mod panels like the vehicles do. Stuff that you could get from the deep seabases, or perhaps even the alien facilities. Maybe like incorporating ion cubes into the nuclear reactor to increase longevity, or some sort of better filtration technology to reduce power cost down on the water filter.

A way to scan things without leaving the relative safety of my vehicle, please.

Just a bit of decoration and nothing more, but after you scan a creature you should be able to make a holographic projector which emits a tiny image of it. You'd be able to affix it to any flat surface, including walls, so you could have it on a desk or above a sign to let you know which containment facility has what in it.

You could take a picture and then upload it to a frame for that last one maybe, might be a bit too big though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Some of y'all might have seen this already, but this might inspire some hope for people worrying about technical stuff.

https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/939843394360233984

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Section Z posted:

At the very least, I fully expect floater island to still have a defended by fan headcanon :airquote: "Cloaking field" abysmal draw distance. Leading to yet another influx of new players who never even realized such a landmass even existed in the game after a three hour exploratory drive with their Seamoth.

It is literally not a matter of draw distance, the island is hidden by fog, and like distance fog, but a fog effect that only exists as a deliberate gameplay choice. I have pointed this out to you before. I can understand not liking the game, whatever, but why do you stick around this thread lying about easily verifiable stuff?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 10, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I love the idea of claiming someone is LYING about some dumb videogame poo poo instead of just being confused or misremembering. Are Subnautica's competitors planting people in this thread?!

Some people get weird hate boners about certain games/developers and will literally make stuff up just to trashtalk them. It is a real phenomena although I will be damned if I know why.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Do not try to build a base inside the Warp. :commissar:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The OST has been added in experimental.

In the folder Subnautica/OST you'll find 1 hour and 39 minutes of music in .mp3 format. Available to everyone who bought the game.

Salutations
Into the Unknown
Tropical Eden
God Rays
In Bloom
Precipice
Sun & Moon
Finding Life
Crush Depth
Original Inhabitants
A Tendency to Float
Abandon Ship
Ahead Slow
Alien Expanse
Alien Passageways
Alien Spaces
Alterra Science
Amid the Kelp
Ancient Aliens
Arc Lights
Blood Crawlers
Blueprint
Bone Fields
Bring a Medpack
Buoyancy
Caverns
Coral Reef
Crash Site
Dark Matter Reactor
Exosuit
Fear the Reapers
First Immersion
Ghost Tree
Ghosts
Habitat
Infected
Islands Beneath the Sea
Lava Castle
Leviathan
Cycle of Life
Lost River
Maneuvers
Mushroom Forest
Observatory Zen
Red Alert
Rock It!
Safe in Kelp Forest
Seamoth
Shadow of the Reeefback
Shallows
Sunbeam
Unknown Flora
Violet Beau
What Are You
Lift Off

Listen carefully and you'll hear Donald Trump say "China". The only positive contribution to anything he's ever done.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nessin posted:

Is it a mistake to go for the Prawn first instead of the Cyclops? The thing is so slow I'm not sure how it's worth it unless you've setup nearby a lot of minable resources. Also how in the hell do you get it into the Jellyshroom area? Is the grappling hook going to do it? I can't find an opening big enough to take the Cyclops down even when I do get it.

In a gameplay related note, the jump between when you first start finding Magnetite and moving on to something new seems insane. I was chugging along and finding new things at a fairly decent pace, then it falls off a cliff and you have to spend ages farming up the required materials to go deeper. Although part of that may just be it's around that time that you can really build out your base if you haven't farmed materials specifically for it beforehand.

Did you find the Seamoth Depth Module in the Aurora? Picking that up is a real kick in the pants in terms of where you can explore.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

Uh. Okay then.

If they haven't planned a physical party, they haven't planned for physical security either. TRY AND STOP ME.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Free note to anyone anywhere near the area though: the moro bay aquarium is fuckin' boss, or at least it was when I was 12. Probably still cool now.

BTW I heard that literally all of our complaints will be addressed when 1.0 releases on the 23rd. True/false?

False. But they do have a pretty good record of post launch support.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

Wasn’t there already a model for a female character?

https://sketchfab.com/models/cccc8b4f8f354076b8d125601ca38354

Still needs a couple of the other suits. But yeah, sometime after 1.0

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, it's just plot.

The Peepers are saving you by making GBS threads enzyme 42 all over your face.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Does the stasis rifle even work on things as big as the reaper?

You gotta hit their head though. It's mostly because of hitboxes, but I think it works because you need to freeze their brain functions to stop something that big.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlainIncredulousDaikonChocolateRain

Wow.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Really? I was pretty sure that was always the same place.

It's always in the Safe Shallows biome but that's it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Infinite replayability as a Fish Touching Simulator. Just load up creative and swim around enjoying the view and touching the fish. Really. Do it. Touch them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

What's he standing on?

One of the Aurora thrusters, you can see the other one briefly in the clip.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

pokie posted:

20 hours in I am yet to see any of these capsules, so w/e.

I think I'm going to put a Mesmer egg in mine because they're really pretty and those eggs are a bitch and half to find.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

I'm trying not to read any spoilers but I feel i've missed something important. I'm up to the bit when the rescue ship gets shot down by the alien gun and then you get a code for some place to go in your ship but I dont have just a normal room for my underground lair. I do have a scanner room and a moonpool but I can't fit the aqurium or organic reactor, etc in those, not well anyway, I do have a greyed out multipurpose room but I can't find any blueprints for that, is this right? should I just keep scanning away or should I have found it ages ago?

Either explore the gun island more thoroughly or follow the Keen Signal chain. Either one will lead you where you need to be.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

double nine posted:

You can make a pretty neat base using only corridors, but you need glass to make it cool-looking, and some functionality is missing.

Here's an album of my shallows base:

(the bed is not functional because the game wants more room for the "get up" animation to play, what a pampered crash survivor)

I've taken to making my personal quarters out of two T junctions. You can just fit a single bed in the second T.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hiding pop in is probably the least important reason. Keeping the islands a mystery is the first and making the world look bigger is the second.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Danaru posted:

Is the one at the floating island one of those? I swear I rubbed tablets and cubes all over it and couldn't get anything working. The one in the gun base too but I didn't spend as much time investigating that one

You spent all your time at the terminal end of that pair.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You also need a Farmer to work the melon patches and trees you grow on the sub.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Embarked on ICE-DIGGER

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She later secretly loaded up his game and changed his picture frame to a shot of him screaming. Seems like a good girlfriend. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel/clip/AbrasiveExcitedHamPanicVis

Found it.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 30, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Beds let you skip to the next morning. Also chairs and benches suspend food/water needs while you're sitting.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1121206690765004800

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

So building my base between on a ridge between a lava vent and a kelp forest looked cool, but now I have nowhere to build a moonpool. Well, there are two spots: directly over said lava vent, or clipping through a mess of kelp. I've now spent an hour trying to align a new base across 2 rock pillars :shepicide:

Just take your knife out and clearcut the offending kelp. They only give so many cuttings before they disappear.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Serephina posted:

What's the floating island on top of? It's been a while and my memory of the game is mostly landmarks and paths instead of N/E/S/W. I do remember that audio log warning early on, and turning right the gently caress about, but I don't have it associated with any lategame area that I recall.

It's directly above the Grand Reef. More specifically, it's directly above the abandoned Degassi Grand Reef base which is at the entrance to the super deep caves.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's pretty good comic timing with the Gasopod swimming along fine for 1 second before the physics engine catches up.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dyz posted:

I took the cyclops through the ILZ exactly once. De-leeching it was a massive pain so I just built a storage base at the beginning of the ILZ right after the Cove Tree.

You can pulse the shield to de-leech the entire ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Depends on if you grab the free depth module from the Seamoth bay in the Aurora.