Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Seatruck chat: it gives me EVE Online flashbacks.

The space breadsticks get comically long as well :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The seatruck dock really needs a button that just launches the cab solo straight out of the side bubble it turns into, as well as the regular 'backing out with all the trucks' option. Have that, and add a small amount of storage to the seatruck cab, and you could have it set up so solo-launch is your seamoth while truck-launch is your cyclops, and you don't have to fiddle around all the time and can use either mode instantly.

I know you finished the game recently but that is something I solved with a second moonpool and seatruck. Managing seatruck modules was awkward and annoying so I kinda brute forced it, and having a dedicated “fast” vehicule was pretty cool.

I kinda liked the seatruck on paper (for the EVE nerds I flew the Iteron a bunch so it was a trip) but it didn’t really do it for me compared to the cyclops. I built all the modules but never used or needed half of them. (Sleep? Teleporter?) Just the scale of the cyclops as a mobile base scratched an itch that the seatruck can’t really compete with, as convenient as it is.

Excited for the og port to the new engine though, with a bunch of QoL mods on top I’ll definitely replay it. Some sort of cartography system that you can gradually work on would be amazing but for some reason the studio doesn’t seem keen on that idea, or maybe they have not found an interesting implementation yet?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

I wish the game had echos so when I did HONK HONK in the caves I got HONK HONK honk honk honk honk honk honk honk honkhonk honk honk honkhonk honk honk honkhonk honk honk honk

You got my vote.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

If you haven't lost a Seamoth inside of an island because you raced up to the island faster than it could pop in then you haven't really played Subnautica.

poo poo, guess I'm up for another playthrough then.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Xik posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, none seem like they have the same vibe though. Hardspace: Shipbreaker was on my wishlist for a while but dropped off after Breathedge soured me on the whole "spacesuit around in zero g" thing. Astroneer already has dozens of hours of playtime and No Mans Sky has hundreds. I have Raft but haven't played since EA and enjoyed it enough but the survival clocks were too aggressive, maybe that's been balanced since?

Thinking about it, base building is a non-optional component. Base building feels like the primary creative outlet and a core element of the progression system. So much so that I'm actually not convinced I would even like Subnautica without it.

Base building is very optional though. It was one of my favourite parts but as any speedrun will show you, 95% of it is not needed to complete the game. It’s just very satisfying and a tangible way to progress so a lot of players focus on that regardless.

I would say out of all the games mentioned above, Outer Wilds is the one that orbits closest to the feeling of playing subnautica. The isolation, facing hostile environments in your ship and spacesuit, solving mysteries…

It lacks the building aspect, upgrade paths and ressource gathering but that’s because it has more of a focus on its story. (For the better in my opinion)

Also it might just the best game ever.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Let those who haven’t named a beacon “gently caress gently caress gently caress” cast the first stone.

Throws a pebble

It was named « oh poo poo oh poo poo osh »

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Man, I'd forgotten how deep the AI voice of the cyclops was. Badass.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

There's really no wrong way to play the game, just explore and have fun.

There is a wrong way to play this game though, and it's making a base that's not 100% glass seaworld.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Complications posted:

For reference, this mod currently consists of concept art and animations and the youtuber in question talks about getting a team together "if the videos have enough views to show there's real interest." There's nothing to download. Given the ridiculous scope of the mod, there probably won't be for at least a couple years and by then the sequel will be out.

Funny you say that, I thought there were maybe not red flags but an odd vibe about that project. Like, apart from Chris Roberts most devs/modders would probably focus on building their mod first instead of spending time making high quality videos like that. Makes more sense to me now.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Pander posted:

I can't think of a concept less fun than "you might randomly get got by a mako shark while swimming"

It’s the same basic concept as the nemesis/Mr X in resident evil, that can be pretty fun. (Although too intense for some players) you just have to use proper sound cues to warn the player of what’s happening.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

Mr X is significantly faster than the player and kills in 2 hits?

No, that would be Alien isolation. If you want to get into the details of it, I think with a game like subnautica you'd need to tone the aggro of such an enemy way down simply because there's a lot of open space with not many ways to hide. It's not like Subnautica has tons of closets and desks to jump under. Occasionally having to hide in kelp next to some horror from the depths or navigate a wreck Soma style could be cool though. (well, not cool but you get my point)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want (legit, non-janky) Subnautica multiplayer sooooooooooo much. So very much.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

They work fine in DRG. It even has seasons and a free battle pass! It’s some kind of miracle game.

Can you name any other games besides DRG that pulled that off successfully? I want to be cautiously optimistic about SN2 but let's not pretend the GaaS bit is not a worrying piece of news.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, games have been cheap as dirt for a while now, especially if you got a modicum of impulse control and can wait for sales. I don't mind studios raising their prices a bit, especially if it cuts into the microtransactions BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Somebody might have mentioned it previously but Pacific Drive has been giving me faint Subnautica (and even outer wilds) vibes. The exploration in a fully customisable vehicle, the spooky vibes and threats coming from the environment itself… it’s not a perfect game but I would encourage anybody lurking in this thread to check it out.