Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Over There posted:

So I've owned this game for a very long time but this is the first time I've put a lot of effort into it. Holy poo poo this is insane. The horror aspect and the unknown. This is a good drat game.

e: I'm also very much at the beginning and have no idea what to expect.
Just explore around and don't hesitate to drop beacons at places you either can't go right now or feel like coming back to. If you feel like that's not getting you places fast enough or you're running out of new stuff, listen to your radio/follow a clue. Despite its other flaws, Subnautica's pretty decent at at pointing out new places to go and handing out gear to get there if you haven't found it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wow I am super not stoked about this partially translated broadcast I just got on my radio. Wtf is going on?!
:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :awesomelon:

Be sure to say hello to your new friends popping in to see you. They're a bit quirky, but fun folks.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

GoingPostal posted:

I think I've plateaued in Subnautica at the moment. I got the last breadcrumbs down to the Jellyshroom forest, and nothing after that. Should I go looking for big wrecks to try and finish the cyclops? I think I've gotten everything out of the Aurora, and I think I've been over the floating island.... Have I gotten to far lost in the (sea) weeds and lost the main plot?
Make some beacons and a compass if you haven't already, mark out where you've been, and then go places you haven't. Especially places that lead downwards. If you run into depth problems poke around for stuff to find in Aurora wrecks or whatnot. There's a lotta stuff and you haven't found the edge of the map until your PDA says so.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just Offscreen posted:

Question: Where is your favorite place to setup a base?

Wrong answers only.

At the very top of the mountains on the islands - just this enormous spaghetti monstrosity looming over the land like a betentacled hat.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I had one outright game breaking bug in the Aurora where I got stuck at water level inside a ramp up. I got around that by console shenanigans. I also encountered weird geometry in wreckage a couple times that I got around in the same way. Teleporting 2 meters fixed each issue. I did see some very slow loading down in the Lost River when I was grappling around in the Prawn and I actually had to slow down a few times to be sure that I wouldn't go careening through a non-loaded wall.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

During my current play my Prawn keeps getting stuck on upramps and small indentations in alien bases. It wasn't nearly this bad before, but I guess it was just my turn. Thankfully grappling the ceiling pulls it free.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think Subnautica is fun and unique, but it's also buggy enough that I never play it Ironman or without the console. I'd like if it had periodic autosaves and games took up more than one slot, too. It's a good game. Not a great one, I think, but solid fun that I can drag out every now and then and lose a weekend or two on before shelving it for a few months.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

rivetz posted:

I'm having a blast muddling through this but have a question: I recently received a disquieting message from the computer warning of major environmental damage from the Aurora's impending meltdown in 24 hours. Is that an event i need to plan for, like should I be prioritizing getting in there and scavenging like mad against the clock or something? I'm currently enjoying farting around in my dippy lil base and my focus isn't on the Aurora at all, but I don't want to miss out on any critical content as a result (which would constitute some pretty lovely design decisions imo, but I understand those have not been completely nonexistent in this game's development)

Despite some of the dialogue implying time limits, there are none. Subnautica is very chill.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Having just looked that up with a terrible suspicion I see that my funniest interpretation was correct: it's literally a shittier Ender Chest. That's the whole reason it exists.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

can modders mod in a giant glock for the Prawn so I can get these god drat leviathans off my lawn

there's a mod for a cyclops laser and a seamoth laser, but no guns for the prawn

the only equivalent for the prawn is Drill Damage, just use it and a grappling arm and lay the hurt on the undesired beasties

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I was interested in exterminating every reaper but the wiki says there are a whole 25 of them in the game, 10 around the aurora alone

They respawn after a couple hours. I've probably offed the underside leviathans four or five times in a save while making materials trips for building my large topside bases.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

While the devs have made their opinions on modding Below Zero stuff into Subnautica like the topside windows clear, have they said anything about bringing the Sea Moth and Cyclops into BZ?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

do creatures at least as big as sharks in below zero stay permanently dead like in subnautica? I'm sick of these creatures which constantly make insanely loud noises as if they're a big threat when they're not that dangerous, and I want to clear them out around my base.

They don't stay dead in subnautica. Even the leviathans respawn in a couple hours.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Honestly, with the shock module the cave leviathan is a cuddly-wuddly darling in comparison to the surface beakshark thing. Just let it close up and start its attack animation, then zap it. It ends up being 1-3% damage which is no problem. In comparison the surface thing deals 10% instantly and can't be zapped before that which is much more annoying.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zerilan posted:

680m deep now. In the biome that looks like plant walls with huge skeletons. Getting the cyclops down here was so difficult I don't think I could easily get up that entrance again so I think I'm stuck deep for the long haul now.

Went further in, see leviathans, am terrified now.

edit: punched it with the prawn suit and the jerk clipped through the wall to swim away from me. If I do manage to kill it, do leviathans respawn?

It takes a couple hours ingame but the leviathans do respawn, yes. I never had that much of a problem maneuvering the Cyclops around the underdeeps, you may just want to get some practice with it and with switching around the various exterior cameras when you're piloting it. Don't try to stuff the Cyclops down the vertical entrances from the surface to the underdeep. You should be entering and leaving mostly horizontally. I stuffed it down a hole my first time too, and hoo boy did it not want to fit. It was much easier when I found the right ways through.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

They'd almost all have to be broken. Right at the start of the game you get something like half a dozen letters from Sam that explain... most of the circumstances. The pads in Base Zero finish just about everything other than means up. Frankly, the protagonist's reactions aren't really justified from the moment she read the last letter from Sam. Phi Base clears up means for the most part, and Maida is the icing on the cake. Everything else is simply justifying the decision, but most of the mystery is answered from pretty much second one.

If the story hadn't been rewritten I'd be asking a lot more questions about their writing ability, but running out of budget and motivation on rewriting is understandable. Sure, the dialogue and story largely fall apart on examination and make Robin look like a serious ditz, but at least for me the motivation for buying the game is more Subnautica. The story is pretty much irrelevant. Also I'll have to get around to answering the alien SOS at some point but I was having too much fun playing CSI:4546b and now I need to make myself a proper seahome.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So as it turns out I'd been going off to the crystal cave entrance in the geothermal zone to the northeast of Delta and dodging the Chelicate there and as I was poking around the caves it turns out Maida has an entrance to the biome right beneath her base because of course she does. Wouldn't want to have to travel any when she gets a taste for hunting bluebelly now would she? I thought that cave was part of the thermal zone entrance she had. :shepicide:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

How do you kill them? Prawn drill arms and frequent repairs?

Download the sea truck speed and armor mods and then unleash the true form of Bonkbote.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I haven’t found any armor mod but I have been using the choo choo train to roadkill brute sharks and those screamy fuckers for most of the game, so I’m not surprised to hear that it scales up to the bigger boys too

No, no, those are user mods from Nexus, they're not vanilla unfortunately. The devs would never introduce such a powerful weapon.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ooohh, are we showing off pointless endgame bases?

The base I beat the game with was three disconnected rooms; two multipurpose, one moon pool, with a foundation outside for growbed right beside the pod.

The base I built for funsies afterwards was this monstrosity... and yes those are support pillars for the bits sticking out over the edge of the cliff:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LionArcher posted:

Where are the prawn suit upgrades? Grapple arm I’m looking for below zero.

Sea monkey nests in the crevices underneath the Lilypads.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It was probably-unstable high powered explosives kitchen-mixed by a loon with a probably jailbroken fabricator for the purposes of fishing, any number of stupid things could've happened starting from Sam tilting it a bit too far down to and including Parvon laying his hand on the wrong thing.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

I tried to do a run where I limited the character to only eating mushrooms or other non creature foods and also not using bladder fish for water until I slammed the sea truck into a bunch of fish on the way back from a trip and said gently caress it.

If you had your headlights on then those fish have no excuse. They ought to know that glow + moving fast = doom from the cornucopia of bioluminescent leviathans around.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Right, so I didn't know that the Sea Emperor juveniles dispersed and became reaper sized after you let them loose, so as I was coming back from the Lost River in my Sea Moth and was nearing the surface I pinged the sonar and just about went to brown alert when I saw a completely unknown betentacled leviathan form out of the red grid coming right at me. I hadn't recalled installing the Gargantuan Leviathan mod but was abruptly making my peace with being lunch and then it turned and I recognized the silhouette.

But gently caress.

I was expecting maybe a straying juvenile Ghost Leviathan not a Sea Emperor.

Years after it's come out and Subnautica still surprises me.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I managed to do almost everything backwards in Below Zero and I feel like it really hosed up the storyline for me. It took me ~8-9 hours for me to actually get to the radio tower area (and get a habitat builder) because I somehow missed the one path that leads to it; I walked to every other place on the island early on then left because I assumed I was missing some progression item to get further. Outpost Zero was the last place I went, since I didn't have a map until then.
IIRC I went Delta (missed all storyline) -> Phi -> Koppa -> Omega -> Delta -> Zero.
I found every piece of the Ultra High Capacity tank before I had a modification table or the High Capacity tank's data. Lots of very careful diving with an air bladder and my Sea Truck parked 1m above crush depth.

As far as I remember Robin never said, at any point, that she wanted to leave with Al-An to go to his home up until the point in the ending where it was mentioned like something they'd previously talked about it. The development between them felt super abrupt, like I'd skipped half the dialogue in the game.

It was fun but a worse experience than the first game. Not sure what they could have done to prevent my gently caress up, though; make the path to the tower incredibly blatant?

My progression ended up being Phi -> Delta -> Zero -> Omega -> Granny QAnon -> Koppa -> Phi's backyard -> aliens. I poked around the deeper zones on the off chance there was more mystery but found nothing but alien bits, built a permahome base for giggles, then I did the distress signal for the other half of the story. As I said earlier though, after you've hit Phi and Zero you've got all the pieces of the mystery besides the execution. I hit Phi first because the Twisty Bridges seemed a bit too spoopy for the second step and as an American my national heritage tells me that when in doubt when exploring go west.

I navigated Delta successfully by virtue of bringing along several beacons and being thorough, not because the path forward was intuitive.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eschatos posted:

So what's the secret to making it past all the leviathans in the real deep parts? Just bring 20 decoys?

A: Move slowly and make not too much noise. If attacked, turn the sub off, wait a bit, repair, and keep going slowly. Silent running will help but is expensive in terms of power. Noise attracts beasties.

B: Bring along a prawn suit with a grapple and drill arm. Sally forth and smite yon offending beastie.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Eschatos posted:

Welp, hit a frustrating snag. Loaded up on a MK3 Cyclops depth module and a ton of supplies, headed down into the lava caves further underneath the quarantine facility, to the deeper facility I'd seen before but been unable to get past the leviathan guarding it. Aaand it's immediately locked, looking for a tablet. Well I used my only spare at the secondary door in the quarantine facility to unlock a single console with another lore entry. I assume this isn't actually the thermal power facility mentioned in the clues section of the codex? That says 1200 meters and this is at 1450. I expect there's some other cave network on the map that I should be investigating instead? I'm not aware of any unless I missed a branching path from the acid river caves that the quarantine facility is part of. Can yall offer a hint? Either where that is or where I can find more tablets.

In the caves there is:

In the Lost River (green spoopy zone) you find the alien facility which got smashed by a leviathan.

In the Inactive Lava Zone which is below that, where both kyanite and the Sea Dragon (big fireball horker) are first found, you find the alien power plant inside of the small mountain of rock in the middle and which contains a blue tablet. Poke around about halfway up it and you should see an alien light marker. This is what I think you missed.

In the Active Lava Zone below that you get a cavern filled with lava, usually a Sea Dragon Leviathan floating around, a bunch of cuboidal 'creature deterrents' which do nothing, and the endgame alien facility.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of draw distance, how bout that mountain island, huh?

I get that it's in the fog but like.... That poo poo doesn't show up until I'm essentially RIGHT THERE.

People's first instinct when presented with an ocean is to head for land. It's an anti noob measure to keep people from soft locking themselves out of the shallows resources. As Ardeem says, once you know that an island is there to be seen the disguise in the skybox might as well be a beacon.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Played for a few hours. It took a while for me to learn to stop picking up titanium and wreckage. I built several floating storage lockers. Finding enough silver for all the important stuff was annoying and it still is annoying, but at least I know to look for sandstone deposits now. It took longer than I liked to be able to craft the compass, despite finding the blueprint very early.

I actually reloaded some of my earlier saves to deliberately undo "progress". One of which was the timed distress call, which I didn't want to do because at that point I had no habitat tool, no rebreather (still don't!), no seamoth (still don't!) and no safe way to get down to the pod 300 m down. (My initial "brilliant" idea of a floating air pump and pipes was going to take a LOT more pipes than I cared to make.)

I've built a habitat almost underneath the escape pod, partly because the first one I attempted to build at a cliff edge was 60 m away and it took me a while to find it again. When I play again, I'm going to look for more silver ore so I can get the Rebreather, which I think will let me swim deeper without issue.

Some hard earned wisdom: beacons. If you go somewhere, beacon it. If you build an outpost, beacon it. If you think a direction looks interesting or dangerous or you're passing by an entrance to something or wreckage or whatever, beacon it. Leave home with four or five or more beacons, come back with zero, build more beacons. You can turn the HUD icon off in the PDA, control icon type/color, etc. so just go nuts. If you've extracted all possible value out of a beaconed location pick it up and then beacon something else.

Seriously, they're the next best thing to a minimap which is a mod but it should be a second playthrough mod not a first one.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah if you get down to 1,000m without negotiating a series of caves, you're off the edge of the map and subject to mandatory friends.

Also, a wrecked Cyclops can be boarded, repaired, and re-energized! Unless it's sunken out in the deep dark, presumably if you could get to it you could repair it, but just getting there let alone back is a questionable proposition as you've found. RIC (rest in cyclops)

To add onto this a general rule of thumb; if you stop seeing the random intangible schools of fish, are in open water, and not in a radiation zone you probably need to turn back whence ye came. Double check that you have ground beneath you.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CYCLOPS ONLINE.

Now I know how busdrivers feel. This thing most definitely doesn't feel like it one person should be controlling it. I feel almost blind to whatever is around me. And yet, I still don't have the prawn suit. I think I'll stop most of my harvesting resources, since I'm not able to spend most of them.

When I set the engine to "Flank Speed", it complains that I'm making too much noise. Is that only a problem if I enter territory full of leviathans, or will the noise attract angry enemies?

When you're at the Cyclops's steering wheel you can look around for additional controls. One of those leads to three externally mounted cameras. You've got two in front, top and bottom, and one in the rear. The Cyclops becomes much more manageable that way.

The noise will only attract nearby leviathans, but if you run at flank speed for too long the heat will build up and set your sub on fire. The devs really don't like people moving fast with the Cyclops.

quote:

One complaint I have is that there's a lot of unclear feedback. Apparently Moon Pools break down if you build them too close to the surface, but it doesn't say how deep you should build them. Thermal power plants obviously want a high ambient temperature, but what is that? How can you tell if you're in a radiation zone if you have radiation gear on? (Same for high temperature zones.)

>25C for the Thermal Plant, the hotter the better. You ought to have a temperature meter on your HUD and in vehicles that'll tell you what you're at. With regards to radiation, just pop your helmet off for a couple seconds. If your vision turns green and you hear clicking it needs to go back on.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's a bit of a pity that the Cyclops doesn't seem to have a standard fabricator on board, but oh well.

You can build things in the Cyclops. Like more storage, fabricators, whatever can physically fit.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I didn't want to risk destroying "Mothy", so I built a second Seamoth, named it something along the lines of "Stupid Plan". "Stupid Plan" is geared out for resisting impacts and charging in the sunlight, and colored dark so it's harder to see (too bad you can't shut off the headlights.) I plan to grab a set of seeds so I can set up a garden at the land base for sustainability, then book it and hope that I can evade the Reaper. (Probably not!)

The only vehicle with headlights that you can't shut off is, to my knowledge, the Prawn Suit. Try right clicking.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

how bad were the EA signposts for the power plant because it looks like Yet Another Player just sailed right past lol

I even read the lore dump for "there's BIG ENERGY in the CENTER OF THIS ROOM" and thought they were talking about the giant hole in the middle that went down to the lava

the game spends literal hours conditioning you to look down and go down to find new things and then expects you to look up to see the marker for the tiny cave you need to enter

it's just unintuitive design

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Well poo poo, I got down there and it's too early. I'm still missing a body part. I've got the first and third one, but missing the one in the middle.

I regret to inform you (congratulate you for missing) that you need to look on land beyond the extending bridge (the most annoying part of both games bar none). Have fun with the residents.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If you're not running something like the de-extinction mod and have vanilla creature spawns then build a base in the clearing by Lifepod 13, there aren't any predators around to glitch into it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Do leviathans respawn? A quick google search was inconclusive with lots of people arguing on both sides.

In unmodded OG the leviathans, at least underground ones, respawn after a couple hours in my experience. I killed them enough times to know. In BZ no, they do not respawn. If you kill things like annoying gastropods that are nearby you may or may not get new ones after a while but they'll be somewhere else.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

minya posted:

I broke down and bought Below Zero. Man, I’m so addicted to this game.

Where should I put my first base? I’m thinking near the lily pads… but copper might be hard to find there?

Somewhere central for a working base. Anywhere around the middle island works, though next to a thermal vent or three will give you free power. The purple vent area is the easiest way to go for that. When 'beating' the game I never built more than a couple multipurpose rooms and a moon pool near my life pod except for as a roleplay thing, though, so don't think it's a requirement.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I was down in the mushroom caverns one time when it went off, it was dope. In general it’s a lot cooler if you’re not looking at the Auroroa.

The first time I got the message about the explosion I was far away from my pod. I dove as deep as I could and took cover behind a hill in a little crevice. The water rushing past effect was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BZ has the nuclear waste disposal, I'd advise checking the Omega lab again in the nuclear area. Alternatively one of the ship sections also has it.

Or just, you know, take it to the edge of the map and drop it.

gently caress the fish.