Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Semantics note: I don't consider crafting from storage to be a form of automation because you still have to go to the fabricator and say 'convert these into this.' Automation would be going there and say 'hey fab, convert quartz into glass x amount of times while i go do something else' ala Factorio.

Minecraft has the same basic problem, annoying inventory management which gets more annoying when building complex late-game things from large amounts of raw materials.

Because of this I personally gravitate towards modpacks that contain a mod called Applied Energistics. That mod allows you to build a linked network of storage devices which can be connected to terminals and processors. Advanced terminals support crafting directly from the online inventory, and processors can be programmed with a recipe which then allows a given item to be auto-crafted from its prerequisites, and if those prerequisites themselves need to be crafted they will be as long as the appropriate recipes are loaded.

Everything runs on in-game power though (provided via other mods in this case, but a similar idea in Subnautica could obviously use the native power). The larger the network, the longer the connections, the more components, the more processors you have running simultaneously, the more power it'll suck.

Since the universe of Subnautica already has some form of converting objects to data and back this concept wouldn't really be a stretch, and the power consumption can be used to make it still require some form of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HexiDave posted:

I've updated the mods (into their own repository), and included a new one - it now performs an auto-save every 5 minutes. Available here:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/tag/v1.0

It doesn't hitch too badly on my machine - about 1 second pause every 5 minutes is something I can live with.

I've got a few more coming:
- Removing/reducing impact damage when driving the Seamoth; I hate slamming into a little fish and getting mangled
- Reducing the time/energy for the Water Filtration machine to something better - maybe 1/4 the time and energy
- Remove the possibility of starting a fire in the Cyclops at Flank speed, maybe the cavitation as well
- Reduce the energy use of the Cyclops

I've got some other ideas for QoL changes, but I'm interested in any other ideas.

This release doesn't work for me, same issue as this guy: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/issues/1

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

feedmegin posted:

Figured it out! Yes, it's Windows Defender being pissy.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/br...exception-from/

TL;DR hit Properties on the ZIP and click 'Unblock' before extracting so the files don't have magic 'downloaded from the internet' cooties associated with them by Windows.

Aha, that probably explains why I didn't have any issue after dnlib was bundled but you and that Russian guy did. I use 7-Zip and it probably doesn't maintain that stupid flag Windows throws on downloaded files.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone explain how exactly radiation works? Does just equipping a certain amount of lead gear prevent all radiation damage and also keep the radiation pop up from popping up? Or do radiation zones actually drift with ocean currents or something? Cause the places where I've taken damage from it seem inconsistent which could be caused by either of those scenarios.

Stolen from the wiki:

quote:

After the explosion of the Aurora, Radiation will leak from the drive core and spread to a set distance from the ship (in a radius of 940m around the x=1040 z=-160 coordinates), covering large parts of the game world including the eastern edge of the spawn zone in the Safe Shallows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Oh poo poo, the pull from containers mod sounds amazing!
It is wonderful and delivers probably the biggest impact on quality of life that a simple mod could.

The one downside I've noticed is it's really easy to inadvertently cook and/or cure the fish in your aquariums, because they count as inventories to your nearby fabricators. Working as intended but also potentially mildly tragic in a sort of funny way.

The extended quickbar mod is really nice too. Between those two things almost all the tedious inventory shuffling goes away unless you're out harvesting materials, in which case it's still somewhat of a core game mechanic.

Has anyone explored how far out you can go in a given direction? Are there hard boundaries or what?
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Zone

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

boar guy posted:

i mean if you listen to the radio and follow the story beats you get the multipurpose room in the first hour to two hours of the story

I started playing on VR, didn't play flat-screen until two real-world days later. The "new message on radio" and "you should scan this thing" HUD popups don't show in VR.

Yeah...

loving hell this game is pretty in VR though, even though its VR implementation is lovely in a dozen ways that are pretty much all frustratingly close to right but not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Funny, I've been to the Aurora a few times and never attracted a Reaper. I saw one way in the distance once, but it didn't come near me.
Same, I'm on my third playthrough (well second and a half, first one I never finished) and I've been attacked by leviathans in total maybe a half dozen times. It's not hard to avoid their attention, just turn off the lights when in their areas and move slowly if you hear them. I've only even seen one near the front of the Aurora twice. Collecting materials near the back of the Aurora is a lot more dangerous, at the front end those drat headcrab things are more of a real threat.

Bhodi posted:

I wish the sonar pings were about half the current speed and the overlay lasted twice as long. That would halve the power draw and make it worth using pretty much all the time, IMO.
This would be very nice. HexiDave, have you poked around in anything like this where you could comment on whether this is possible to mod?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HexiDave posted:

Phone-posting, but both adjusting power and repeat rates are possible. I've got a few things I'm gonna play with tonight, so I'll give them a shot.
Neat, definitely interested to see where this goes.

quote:

I've also been researching their voxel system to see if I could replace it with a cached model and streamed loading instead of generating it every time. If I can do that, I can eliminate pop-in completely. I still don't see what they're talking about saying Unity can't do it - voxels are much more complex to generate and render.

financially racist posted:

if this happens i want you to post it all over their forums to make fun of how bad they are at programming
Definitely this.

Also if you manage to do this you should really put up a donation link. Actually you should anyways because your mods already provide huge QoL improvements in this game, but if you manage to fix performance on top of fixing their "arbitrary restrictions and inventory juggling = challenge" silliness that'll be another level entirely.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm kind of shocked that so many people have actually played this game to completion.
With cheats you can build the Neptune immediately out of the lifepod. Also I'm pretty sure you can just reload a save from right before blasting off.

Either way it's really easy for people to spam the poo poo out of the time capsule system if they so desire.

It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that all the game client is doing at that moment is sending a HTTP(S) request to the server on a hidden endpoint, so there's a not unreasonable chance that people have figured out how to submit anything they want.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paracelsus posted:

In addition to the Kyanite, getting into and out of the Thermal Plant for the Ion Battery/Power Cell recipes is going to be a pain.

My first playthrough I didn't realize how deep I was going to end up going and didn't bring the Prawn with me, so I ended up just swimming over. Heat damage isn't really a big deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sloober posted:

i'm not sure what you're asking? Do you mean hitting up all lifepods, wrecks, degassi bases etc?

The way I interpret it they're asking for the minimum things you can get away with doing to complete the game, basically a glitchless speedrun route.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJBO_fWZkU0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Never going to happen.

It'd be pretty cool though!
Not 100% complete and of course even buggier than the main game itself, but it is a thing thanks to modders.

https://github.com/SubnauticaNitrox/Nitrox

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

double nine posted:

This makes me wonder what kind of voodoo bethesda uses to keep save files from exploding. I remember in morrowind at least loading saves started to get significantly longer if you had looted a lot of houses

Bethesda save files tend to get pretty large too. They're for all intents and purposes treated the same as mods, just loaded last on top of all the rest, and they contain all the changes you've made to the world.

Both the OG Xbox version of Morrowind and PS3 version of Skyrim have had game-breaking bugs related to save files getting too large for limited console RAM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Oh, Nexusmods has things besides giant anime titty mods for games now?
Awaiting the mod that gives ghost leviathans giant anime titties.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flytrap posted:

Not like, Morrowind on XBox heinous.

Especially if you had the original release, where the save could get large enough from you moving things around in the world that you could run out of memory and crash when entering any sufficiently modified areas. I spent more time booting up and loading the game then actually playing until the GOTY edition came out with a "fix" (hard limit on the "clutter" in the world, anything extra in a world cell being loaded gets placed in a bag and left in the middle of the area).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't know what the gently caress happened here, i had saved and quit last night, only to load up today and find...whatever the gently caress was happening here on my cyclops' bridge. i exited without saving, reloaded, still there. drove around, still there. found out that i could 'move' it by building things on top with the habitat builder, only for it to 'move' onto the driver controls, rendering the cyclops undrivable. reloaded, kept loving around, eventually gave up because i could not get rid of it. guess i have a giant invisible barrier loving up the bridge of my cyclops for the rest of the game now, how fuckin neat.

you know i don't think i've wanted to love a game more than this one in many many years, probably at least a decade if not more. as a result, i have given this game more chances than any other game i have ever played, and every step of the way, every time i think i'm enjoying myself, this game bugs the gently caress out in some new major way that is at best extremely irritating and at worst game-breaking. i wish that unkown worlds had just come up with the ideas for this game and then handed off the developing bit to a studio that was even remotely competent because this is, hands down, the buggiest loving game i have ever played.

considering my favorite game ever is morrowind, i tend to think that i have a ridiculously high tolerance for bugginess in games i otherwise really love, but this poo poo is just too much. i'm not even angry about it, i'm just loving sad because if this game was, say, just half a hosed up as it is, i'd be able to overlook things when they do gently caress up, but it's just all. the. loving. time. i don't know how many people have had a similar experience with this game or if i'm just unbelievably unlucky or what the gently caress, but goddamn. this would probably be one of my favorite games of all time, one i replayed over and over again, if it wasn't so busted. as it is, when i finish this one playthrough, i'm probably never playing it again. oh well :smith:

TBH I'd say the best solution is the same as it often is with Bethesda games. Open up the console and "cheat" to unfuck it. Set everything to free, delete it, rebuild it, and set the economy back to normal. Save, exit, and reload to get achievements back. It's a single player game and all you're doing is fixing the results of a bug, not actually gaining an advantage against the intended challenges, so it's not really cheating.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JawnV6 posted:

Seamoth: Does it "attract" enemies? Like the alien can grab me out of it, and the big monster thing broke one of mine. Can i just swim around and be fine?

The biggest piece of advice i can offer regarding the Seamoth and to a lesser extent the Cyclops:

TURN THE loving LIGHT OFF!

I've watched a ton of videos of people playing Subnautica and the #1 cause of Seamoths getting wrecked by Leviathans is people leaving the light on when they don't need it, often even leaving it on when they leave the vehicle behind in a risky area.

I made that mistake once and returned from a lifepod to see my Seamoth's HUD blip rapidly travelling away before disappearing.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 9, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was in Win7 (iirc) when they stopped letting programs access the kernal directly. UAC was annoying as gently caress but at least it got programmers in-line.

The last time programs could directly mess with kernel-level stuff was Windows Me due to the DOS heritage of that generation. NT has always limited that level of access to drivers. Of course up through XP users had local admin by default and thus user-level programs could install a driver that let them do whatever they wanted, and many did exactly that.

Vista and beyond changed the privilege model so that even users that have the ability to escalate to administrator level are running as limited users by default. Programs only gain the enhanced privileges after either explicitly requesting escalation or by triggering certain heuristics that make the OS assume they will need it. In either case, this is when you see a UAC prompt.

Vista was a bit too aggressive about its heuristics and locked down a few settings that probably shouldn't have been, which resulted in even users of well behaved software seeing far more prompts than they probably should have. Vista SP1 toned this back, but most people didn't actually see the changes until Windows 7 because Vista already had a bad reputation for reasons that were mostly not actually its own fault.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

OgNar posted:

This is absolutely hilarious.

Getting the urge for underwater exploration again.

It's good and I recommend watching the series. Also if you like that sort of thing and enjoy Half-Life, check out "Freeman's Mind". Basically the same idea. There's a Freeman's Mind 2 but it's incomplete and has been on hold for a few months.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, it is pretty much impossible for a user-level application to cause a BSOD all on its own (hooray for NT). They can cause the system to trip over driver bugs or hardware faults, but those bugs or faults are independent of the game itself.

GPU driver, sound driver, or memory issues would be my top guesses given the circumstances of the crash, but without the error information it'd be hard to say anything further.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Joking about HUGE MONSTERS aside. I honestly think the scariest things they could of done was actually put an end game mandatory alien base either behind the Aurora right in Murky Reaper Town, or placed one actually in the void. Turn off the Ghost Leviathans auto spawn in like a 50 degree cone facing a base floating 500 feet into the void 1000 feet down (or put the spawn on a 25 minute delay :getin:).
You know that somehow they'd manage to somehow have it bug out and occasionally do the reverse, a 50 degree cone of ghost leviathan spawns perpetually behind the player.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they leaned a bit too much on exploration and finding new biomes and setpieces without having beacons to follow, and not enough on luring you into truly terrifying places with the feeling of impending dread whether or not you know what you're in for. Some great games work on the sense of 'you're not supposed to be here' in the final acts, Portal comes to mind.
Says the ghost leviathan. You just want more snacks.

Seriously though I agree and I hope they do a better job with this in BZ. The first few hours of Subnautica were a constant roller coaster of wonder and terror, but once you have a base and a seamoth you're pretty much immune to everything but leviathans, warpers, and clipping through walls/floors. Once you have the Cyclops game engine bugs are arguably the most likely cause of death.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like to judge my game value in comparison to the value of the beers I've drank while enjoying the game. If I've enjoyed the game for long enough to drink more than it's value in beer while playing it, then I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Subnautica is probably closing in on a 10:1 ratio for me at this point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That's a clever system. I like it better than comparing it to a movie ticket. I'd have to do some adaptation since candy is my vice of choice, but Subnautica has probably exceeded its value in chewy spree anyway.

I used to judge against movie tickets by an hours per dollar metric, but movies got more expensive and I got a projector so I stopped going to the theater much and it just didn't make as much sense.

The beer metric also kind of loosens me up about buying games because I'm a craft beer guy so a few glasses with dinner can easily cost more than a game on sale. If I buy a game and make a sandwich instead of going out to eat I save money.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A random worldgen mode could be done as a "new game plus" type thing where you keep the tech tree from your fixed world playthrough and then just need to gather resources rather than unlocking new blueprints. They could even throw out the storyline entirely and just have it be pure survival in an unknown world at that point, or just a way to run creative in a new environment.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Doesn't look like this has been posted yet, one of the devs did a presentation at GDC about the game's development process and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkjY_R7zQsM

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ikanreed posted:

I don't even get what galaxy brain it takes to come up with "monopolies are good"
It's a balance, monopolies aren't good but neither is having 37 different store/launcher apps to deal with. It's the same problem we're seeing these days with streaming video, for a while Netflix was basically a monopoly but you could get almost anything available to stream there. Now we have to have 10 different subscriptions just to watch the same things because everyone decided they wanted to do their own thing.

I wish Windows had a standard package management infrastructure so we could buy/download apps from whoever wants to sell them but have them all install and launch from the same interface. Instead we end up with every major publisher reinventing the wheel, usually worse.

If these new services would actually compete on features and functionality it'd be a different matter, but inevitably the only reason to use them over the established one ends up being that they're holding some content hostage. Make something that's better than Steam and I'm interested, make something that's worse but is the only way to get your game and I'm going to be pissed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ikanreed posted:

Galaxy brain, but what if you just installed a shortcut that launched the right launcher when you install the game

Because I also don't like waiting for my games to update before I can play them. I'd much rather have one launcher running on boot that auto-updates my games in the background.

Again I think the ideal solution would be a Linux-style system wide package manager, but the time where that would have been plausible to push out in Windows is long past now that everything has to be an app store.

edit: I'm an end user, not a game developer, so yeah "better for me" is my primary concern. I'm happy for developers that the Epic store's existence has forced Steam to adjust their fee structure, but I still find it annoying at best to have to use one more platform without getting any benefit from it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 18, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I played my first 8 hours entirely in VR. I also got stuck with no idea where to go because the UI is not really complete so it wasn't clear that I needed to go back in the pod and use the radio.

It's a lot of fun in VR as long as you understand the game mechanics and are willing to put up with the clunky UI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's not a game you play with random people, it's a game you play with friends, and the assorted forms of chaos that can result are half the point.

I've watched dozens of hours of Barotrauma played by a particular group of youtubers, and it's some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

So, uh, I kind of think you're missing the point.
Exactly. Grabbing this from the Payday 2 thread:

If a game requires coordination between team members to succeed but can easily go wrong due to one person screwing up (intentionally or not), playing with random pubbies is generally a bad idea. Play with friends, or at the least play with an organized group of internet people rather than letting RNGesus put you with whoever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

enraged_camel posted:

Y'all seem to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, tbh.

An exploration game without a map is like an RPG where your character has stats, but the game does not show them to you, and instead you need to resort to some external mechanism or mod to derive them.

I sort of get your point, but I also like games where the limitations fit in with the game lore and a general assumption that things work like the real world unless the story provides a reason for it to differ.

With the level of technology that obviously exists in the game universe it would make sense for the PDA to have a navigation option of some sort, but at the same time since you're stuck on an uncharted planet and all known electronic navigation systems rely on beacons in known locations or star charts it'd make as much sense that at least initially you have no ability to automatically map the world.

Where that thought process of course falls apart is once we've started building beacons, since our electronic systems are capable of accurately determining distance and could thus generate useful relative positioning with as long as three were within range, and especially when we have the Scanner Room HUD chip that clearly means something knows exactly where you are and the layout of the local terrain. At that point there's no excuse beyond artificial challenge, which IMO is not a good excuse.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 4, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlyFrog posted:

You know what sucks? Playing the first time through, completely without spoilers, and not finding the vehicle upgrade console until quite late in the game, because it just happened to not be in the early-to-mid game sites you checked on.

So the entire game, I could take the stupid Seamoth anywhere real, because of the 200 meter limit.

That sounds like 100% the Subnautica Experience. Also tool blueprints spawning in rooms where you'd need the tool to get it.

My first playthrough I started in VR. At least back then a lot of the HUD elements didn't work properly in VR, as a result I never noticed that the radio could be repaired, so I never got any of the hints to progress the story. I just kept exploring a larger and larger radius, building a network of air pipes in to interesting caves near the capsule. After a few days of this I didn't feel like getting out the headset, loaded up the flat screen version, and immediately learned what I had been missing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Every time I play I say I'm going to do something different, and every time I end up setting up my initial base somewhere near a mushroom cave opening. Usually on the main entrance, sometimes over at the other side, and then I stay based from there until I get down to the tree area.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Just Offscreen posted:

Wow these bug accounts are making me rethink how I feel about it to be honest.

Game....bad?
The fact that the current forms of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are some of the most popular games on every platform they exist for demonstrates how little this matters IMO. A game can be a janky mess with game-breaking bugs and still be a net good.

And tbh at least if you're playing on PC the ability to manually back up your save file combined with the developer console means you can usually unfuck anything that's glitched, at least enough to unbreak the game.

If you're playing on a console, :rip:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I bought the game two years ago because I knew I'd buy it eventually and it was cheaper then. Still haven't installed it though, and probably won't until at least version 1.02 so they can patch the major launch bugs and whatever bugs the rushed launch patch inevitably brings.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleMaster posted:

My problem with survival meters is that in my experience they create some interesting pressure early on but are just an annoying hassle once that is no longer interesting once you find a way to grow or breed or otherwise produce food infinitely. I wish games had a way to just turn it off after a point.
Completely agreed about basically every game that has a hunger/thirst mechanic. It generally drains a lot faster than it should anyways, and unless the game is a full out hardcore wilderness survival type thing it's almost always just a nuisance after you get through the early game.

When you have the ability to reform raw components in to a base or a ship with a magical gun and block the radiation of an open reactor with a wetsuit the idea that forgetting to toss a few water bottles in your backpack will be a life or death matter it about a half hour is absurd.

Phssthpok posted:

This game has a way to do that. You can open up the save data in notepad and change it from gamemode=0 to gamemode=1
You can edit the save file in almost any game, that's not the point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone else been watching Limmy in his playthough? It's a..well it's an experience for sure.
I wasn't aware of him until you mentioned this, but I checked out his most recent stream after reading your post yesterday and I'm going to follow him.

That was good, but IMO it's beaten by when he realizes how large the Cyclops is
https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1379791018007130115

Especially when he clearly at a certain moment starts wondering if he picked deep enough waters to spawn this in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Maybe the lighting in the inactive lava zone was also broken and that's why it was so dark? Dunno.

Were you playing with the visuals set to "Cinematic"? That makes a huge difference in how dark dark is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bargearse posted:

How did I make it this far into the game without ever knowing there was a battery charger? I've just been chucking the spent ones down in the jellyshroom caves.

The Subnautica version of the car batteries in the ocean meme. Beautiful.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My wife and I both own SN on Steam, but our saved games aren't separate. What gives?

To clarify, I went to boot it up for the first time, for me, and her save was there. Same goes for BZ, except she owns it, and library shares with me.

We've done this with no issue in other games. Is this a known bug?
Subnautica stores its saves in the game install folder, so they're shared across everyone on the same PC.

This used to be basically standard behavior, now games often save to somewhere in the user home directory which then makes it Windows user specific but a lot of games still do the install folder thing.

Steam Cloud games have a userdata folder under the main Steam install location where each Steam user gets their own subtree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm in a weird spot because while I completely agree with you, I know for myself that I don't have the gaming-related willpower to end a save if I die in normal mode.
Keep yourself honest by streaming your gameplay.

Endless Trash posted:

Finished it in 7 hours, which is 7x the current speed run record but I’m pretty proud of it.
Also doesn't the speedrun route die a few times as a "teleport to nearest base" shortcut?