Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

It should have been dogs.

Not gonna lie, having a dog maul the gently caress out of a sectoid would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LordNat posted:

That sounds scary as gently caress. I think I might just play my first game on normal...

That sounds correct finally. They were scary as poo poo in the original games and largely not in the modern game.

Like in early game if I was still in stock weapons and landed/saw a 'lid, I'd immediately button back up and just leave. Good luck brisbane! We're out!

Also secretly hoping they eventually create a analogue of handing a rookie two demo charges one for each hand, arming them then running into a ship to get shot up/kill everything. Ahalu Ackbar mother fuckers.

I may have also used this to breach "Hey rook, hold these and go stand next to that wall."

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

splifyphus posted:

On one of the failed runs it was the most intense mission I've ever played. I had two guys go down in the first encounter but managed to stabilize them both before they bled out. I finished the rest of the mission with a support and an assault, only to have the NPC get sniped two tiles from the extraction zone by the thin man who spawns on the other side of the map. Ok, so I failed the mission, but I'm still bringing everyone home alive! I get my remaining two soldiers into the zone, only to have the game tell me that if I leave now the guys still on the battlefield are toast. So, I go and kill the remaining thin man and end the mission that way. The stats screen comes up - zero soldiers lost. Hell yes.

In the original you could huck peoples bodies around.

Whenever I captured an alien I'd drag it back to the skyranger where a rookie with a shock prod could smack it any time they woke up (Because they could wake up in the original).

X-Com remastered would be something I'd totally play. The modern games have the occasional "And then catastrophy struck" moments. But really nothing compares to kicking the skyranger door open, and an etherial that's right across the street immediately panics the blaster bomb toting dude into nuking the entire squad.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SeaTard posted:

I was worried that would happen the first couple of times I stunned one in the new version. I don't miss that at all. If those fuckers get stunned, they should drat well stay stunned unless woken up by an alien with a medkit.

It didn't bother me too much. I always left a guy in the skyranger so I could at least get that back when poo poo went horribly wrong. So he'd get prisoner duty, and more often than not he was also on blaster bomb duty since "Why the gently caress not?"

There's a lot of stuff I miss from the original. Designing my bases so they'd be kill zones for anyone attacking was a big one.

3 Hangars at the top connected to the rest of the base via the elevator. You can just put four dudes in the next set of rooms south of the elevators on overwatch. It was basically a plasma weapon/grenade/etc farm.

What I don't miss is having to man/arm all my auxiliary basis instead of just having one really good base. You needed at least 4-6 dudes on "Defense Duty" for any interceptor bases you had setup or they'd get eaten.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I finally got Openxcom and Last Mod to work. Second round of rookie recruitment, this guy appears and all I can think of is that stupid Moon Moon thing. Which, ironically works, because, even for an Xcom rookie, he's outstanding at being unable to hit a goddamn thing.

The loadout this guy has is all wrong. He needs a demo charge in both hands. Rookies that can't shoot are suicide bombers against the alien infadel. allahu ackbar.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Same here; getting the Pack now and getting all the DLC from it as they come is easier on my wallet in the long run

I'm just bad with money when games like x-com roll around. It's fine. I'm ok.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JonTerp posted:

It depends on how early they decided to press boxed versions. It's either about half of the game's content or just a steam installer. Either way not gonna fix their problem.

most box copies these days are just steam download links. It's loving hilarious.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I tried to VPN Fallout 4, but ended up loving my poo poo over so much that I lost my pre-load and had to wait nearly a day extra just to redownload the game from start again.

Basically, I'd only do the VPN if I had a substantial gain from it and being forced to redownload the entire thing because it got corrupted tells me I just want to do it normally this time.

You seem like that guy that's in every infomercial. The one who's hands shake when he opens a jar of pickles then his house explodes or something while some guy on a voice over makes mundane tasks sound hard "Ever opened a pickle jar? Then you know how hard it is! Introducing the Pickle Master!"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

That being said, there's probably going to be a mod released that punishes doom clock riding in the sense that ADVENT has caught onto your poo poo and they're backing up more of their research every time you try to pull that stunt. The reasonable part of me says it should be cut down by 2-3 days every time you ride it, meaning that it's probably cool to do it once or twice but if you abuse it you'll hit a game failure state eventually.

The evil part of me says cut it down by five days each time, with the fourth being a game over.

So? It's not like someone is going to force him to mod his game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
They really want you to feel rushed this time around. The slow creeping pace of last X-Com is gone. I think I've had maybe 2 missions where no one took at least a little plasma to the face.

As far as the first black site goes, after you snag the vile setup a good ambush, it chain spawned 2 waves of assholes on top of my extraction point.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

So are there actually any mod tools yet, or is it still just futzing with the ini settings like the first one?

They've released the dev tools.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

There's some intrepid modders out there poopsocking right now to give us all the very first XCOM nude mod :911:

Godspeed, you beautiful bastards.

Loverslab is already re-doing all of the animations to make rape-com I'm sure.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm at work now, just posting recollections of the night time Australian play session. So far the only thing I really don't like is that new events/things that need attention seem to pop up every few seconds. I wouldn't mind things being spaced a little better. Also how the gently caress do you assign scientists to things? Do they give a research bonus when they are "Available" or do I have to assign them to research?

Mukaikubo posted:

After playing this for a bit, the default difficulty in 2 feels like it falls somewhere between Classic and Impossible on the first game. This game was definitely geared towards Beagle and you all who are super pro at the first game, and not to people like me that just had fun puttering around on the default difficulty in one; it kinda feels like the game is saying "gently caress you, casuals" as loudly and as often as it can. Oh well. It's too late to get a refund, I guess, so I'll try it when I'm feeling more bored and masochistic.

Just put it on easy. No one else can see and we will only judge you if you admit it.

Hell I'm going to do some INI tweaking when I get home. I feel the default grenade is way underpowered.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

gonadic io posted:

My first death was a ranger missing a sword attack vs a sectoid next to a car, and then another soldier missing the sectoid too and setting the car alight. The sectoid then ran away from the burning car before it blew up to kill the ranger.

Friendly fire is not very friendly :(

Just be glad we don't have to clear lines of fire like in classic. There's something about beaning one of your own dudes in the back of the head on a 90% shot that's just magic.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm framing the crazy for later, I hope the op learns how probability and prngs function someday.

Coolguye posted:

Well I understand that system files are important so

I have a novel idea, lets not run this thread into the ground with this poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Taffer posted:

Truth. She is a killing machine and I love it. She got 8 (yes, EIGHT) kills on the 4th mission, all but one of them were sword kills.

I got news for you guys. She's just a big a monster with the shotgun.

That thing is stupid loving accurate/damaging even at mid range.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The first and only shot I've taken with the shotgun was at max range while overwatching. It's one of three that's hit so far and it killed the guy. :v:

I slapped the crit laser on her shotgun and she is generally responsible for about 50% of the kills in any given mission. Honestly I've gotten great results out of the class in general, even when I slap a rifle into their hands.

My grenadier is pretty drat underwhelming compared to the HW dude from the last game though, and the sniper... just flip a coin on if he's going to be useful for any given mission.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, the mysterious stranger contact seems pretty bad. 5 days of scanning and you gave me a stock, gee, thanks. I guess there are probably much better things you can get from it.

Haywire Protocol has really come in handy for me, but is the control effect always the same length? I wish you got a warning that "Hey, this guy will be free of control next turn and can run up and shoot you in the face"

See this is why original x-com mind control was better. You shoot whatever is standing next to you till you are down to enough TU's to throw your gun across the room. Then you do that. Or you prime and drop a grenade, then throw your gun across the room. Really plenty of options to work with :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Extracting is half the mission, you can't just ignore the timer

Yeah. Honestly playing this like you do the last game where you have a six man "A Team" and a bunch of rookies you haven't laid of yet just won't work. You have to be aggressively moving towards those objectives any time you aren't actively shooting. And when I say "Aggressive" I mean overwatching every turn isn't going to work. My first move is generally to sprint my shotgun wielding angel of death forward as far as she can go into at least light cover. If she's clear the rest of the squad joins. If she sees a pod the rest of the squad envelops the pod as much as possible without setting them off.

You are absolutely going to take wounds and will need a rotating stock of soldiers that can go on the next mission when it crops up. Literally the only missions you can be an overwatch fairy on are the ones without timers (Also if you can rescue six civies early in a terror mission or whatever the gently caress they are called).

Also I need someone to mod in golf clubs, hockey sticks, and cricket bats as melee weapons. The hockey mask is already there. Casey Jones must live.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm probably going to restart my game from scratch when I get home. I made some pretty big blunders in the strategic map/build and research orders and when I went to bed I could feel my campaign grinding to a halt.

Unless someone can tell me: Is there a decent way to farm up intel? I require 50 to move to the next black site continent and welp.

Broken Cog posted:

How do you make enemies panic? I've gotten several of the "reduce enemy will by 50%" hacks, but I have yet to see an enemy break.

You probably won't. But I think it also reduces their ability to deal with psi poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not liking rangers. The sword is funny but I just wish I had run and gun instead.

Left tree has run and gun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought so at first, but once you get the hang of how to use them and can go full RULES OF NATURE on X-rays, they get essential in a loving hurry. One of my rangers is by far my deadliest units, she averages like three kills a mission and has twice as many kills as anyone else in the organization, despite the fact she spends weeks in bed.

They're also particularly good for dealing with Pectoids because they seem to do bonus damage against them.

Rangers are just all around strong. You will get the same results (literally) with a crit boosted shotgun.

I'm tempted to go with one of each because they are just so loving clutch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Ill make a mod called "buffed mimic mines".

When you use a mimic thing, it spawns 4 pods on your screen.

Name it buff mimic mines. When it's thrown a faceless pops out and flexes.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

We've already gone through this, this is good game design and if you don't like central yelling what a mook you are every ten seconds you're enjoying the game wrong.

I do wish central would shut the gently caress up when civilians are getting toasted. Look dude it's like round two and I've rescued 3 already. I'm out of move points and that rear end in a top hat was on the other end of the map.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Unironically, this game does need mine mods. Or like C4 detpacks you can plant, then trigger later. It'd add an entirely new metagame to the Concealment phase and setting up ambushes.

They already exist if I'm not mistaken.

Ciaphas posted:

Also what do you all think are the good/bad talents so far? I'm finding the Gremlin heal isn't as good as Combat Protocol, the amount of time I really really want that guaranteed 2 damage far surmounts the amount of time I've thought to myself "I need healing"

Gremlin heal has saved my rear end a number of times. I sure as gently caress don't miss humping either my medic to my guys, or more likely my guys to my medic.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Chalk me up as another goon who's enemies have just stopped doing things.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I have two snipers. One sits on roofs. One shoots things with his six shooter. Both are in the race for most aliens killed right next to my ranger.

I feel like I should have built a psi chamber earlier but... well I'm all in power armor and plasma weapons.

So I'm pretty much in the victory lap phase now and I'm just now getting around to training my first psi operative.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Everyone should be making EXO/WAR suits and research powered weapons at all times. Why aren't you researching powered weapons right now?

Blaster bomb is cool, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my upgraded plasma grenades. "I wonder what's in that building" Mr. Explosive says. "Lets blow the entire front face off of it and find out."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vodos posted:

It's not like the blaster bomb uses up a grenade slot, you simply get one more big explosion!

Oh I know. I used mine last night in one of the shadow chamber missions. I picked up the macguffin they wanted, saw my extraction point was to the east of the facility and there were no doors there, so I made a door with my last explosive: The blaster bomb.

This is basically my prefered method for getting in and out of structures, any wall becomes a door.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, for some reason I thought that would be a great move and make my research a lot faster, but no, the research would've been plenty fast without it and my ability to research far outran my ability to produce things I'd researched.

I really don't want to start over but it's probably the right move :ohdear: I really liked my ninja Ranger guy whose codename ended up being "Paladin." Dude's pretty solid. (For some reason I don't like to rename/nickname my soldiers--it's more fun to roll with whatever codename the game assigns and hope it fits. It sure as hell did in that case.)

I'm guessing I should also prioritize building an AWC over a Psi Training Facility? I also ended up without one of those.

I built all the soldier upgrade facilities first. Then coms. Then everything else. I built psi dead last. Changing nicknames is bad luck.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 8, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LordNat posted:

If you get AP or Shredder Ammo on your first roll then Gunslinger. If you get Tracer or Crit ammo then go Sniper.

AP Ammo goes to my crit boosted shotgun lass who oneshots mecs all day and all night.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Are SMG's worth a poo poo? I mean plasma rifles etc are already pretty good, unless I can snap a smg on my pistol sniper I can't see the point.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

About when are folks researching magnetic weapons? I feel like my first campaign is a bit hosed because I've put it off and now it's taking forever to kill stuff while the aliens are getting swole as gently caress. I guess I could salvage it but right now every mission is pretty much bashing my ballsack into paste with a mallet way way more than I remember the first game ever doing.

My second campaign I learned my lesson and picked them up as soon as available. Then Armor. Then I hosed with plotline nonsense.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So no spoilers but holy poo poo does the end cutscene lay it on thick as to what the next game/expansion is going to be.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LordNat posted:

There is a downed UFO mission that can pop. I think it is a alternate/rare version of the Supply Raid mission.

Can confirm. DIdn't do the mission because it literally popped up when I was waiting for a few builds to spool out before doing the last mission.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

It is their fault, if they didn't do their due diligence on what players wanted and didn't want out of their luxury entertainment product. If popular player mods are ripping out entire game mechanics, there's obviously something wrong with those game mechanics. I'm legitimately interested in what happens in updates, accordingly.

I'm reminded of the Gamasutra postmortem of Bioshock 1. Their first outside play testing revealed that while internal responses to System Shock With An Underwater Skin were high, the normal playtesters were judging most of the stolen-from-SS stuff unfun. They had to do a 180 after that, leading to a game that was better than System Shock.

lol reminder for the thread, bibs is a retard.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gunder posted:

They really hosed up the initial half of this game, balance wise. It gets MUCH easier as you go on, but the first half of the game is way too difficult compared to the later half. Makes the whole experience very frustrating to begin with, then very underwhelming later on. What a shame. I hope someone is able to mod the difficulty curve to some degree, because the stuff they throw at you early on is not only unfair, it's extremely unfun. The original XCOM had a great difficulty curve, this one is completely inverted.

Edit: Also, why are 95% of the XCOM soldiers women? Seems odd that there aren't more men. Almost every soldier I get is female.

Even though I'm 50 pages behind or whatever, I'm far too lazy to scroll down to see if anyone posted this.

But since the very first XCOM you often had a gently caress of a time setting up, and the first several months are mega stressful. Eventually you reach technological parity with the aliens, all of your dudes have plenty of rank and you start the "Victory Lap" phase.

In the original XCOM this came around the time that you could produce blaster bomb ammo by the case lot.

In terror from the deep you never got that far because gently caress LOBSTERMEN.

In the first remake pretty much the minute you got all satellites on lockdown and stop the "Terror" bleed you were in victory lap mode.

I'd argue that in this one, provided you have at least a foothold on most continents are at T3 weapon stages: You've hit the victory lap.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Huh. Went back a couple of pages to see people talking about the X-Com 1 Victory Lap and the X-Com 2 Torture Session.

Does no one remember the original X-com that had an unpatched bug where no plasma ammo would come with you on the final mission? I had to crank out a ton of laser rifles and toss all my plasma in backpacks and loot the dead. That's how you do difficulty.

EDIT: Also see the flying suit Rookie sacrifice to get you into the entrance with your whole A Team squad mostly alive.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zokalwe posted:

I suppose this is not intended but my serpent suit gives a +750 hacking bonus. No idea where it comes from.

Sure that troop doesn't have a skulljack?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

redreader posted:

amazon have a pre order price guarantee. I'll eat my h... food if they don't honour it.

i just had this wild flashback of not liking idiot king mod abey.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Never drop to Rookie.

misterbibs just gasped in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
This is an awful lot of discussion over a game that's just a rip off of hbs's battletech.