Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ZearothK posted:

I am sad that the game will be released the same week my classes start.

I intend to take next Friday off to play this

That is the first time in a very long time I have taken off work for the sake of a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sharrow posted:

for anyone else binging on EW/Long War before launch, someone has just modded up an XCOM2-style LOS indicator :3:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/666/

Has anyone done up a "this is the overwatching rear end in a top hat, right here" indicator outside of LW yet, because god drat I just lost a Colonel to a mistake about which alien was overwatching and quit in goddamned self-disgust :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Lol...so it really is just greed stemming from monopolies then? Welp...

It is a large percentage that, but the USA is kinda huge in terms of landmass and mostly sparsely populated west of the Mississippi, so there are sound (if really unfortunate) reasons for most of the country having poo poo all for internet infrastructure

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yer mum's a snake tit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Coolguye posted:

specifically this seems to be the section you are looking for:

Now I need to watch the video that GIF came from again

Watch it with me, friends, and wish it was next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhr7Du6z8U

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Beagle posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034?t=2h17m30s

Replays and freecam (and tactical skirmish mode and more) confirmed for XCOM 2 on day 1 as part of Devmode. The replays feature an SC2-style feature where you can take over at any point in the replay and start playing the mission from that point. Keep in mind these replays are automatically generated even on Ironman missions and it will be possible to send these replays to people and host them online ala a lightweight savefile.

:shittypop::shittypop::shittypop:

I really want this gaaaaaaaaaame

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

Personally, I'd kinda like to see XCOM2 modded into something for Shadowrun, I know that has it's own games now, but I think it would be better in this engine

I want this like yesterday, please

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Junpei posted:

And my thread is green now. *sigh*
If it's not too much to ask Crazyloon, where could I find a good place to put my threads like that, someplace with minimal trolls and smart, creative people?

It's just kind of a cultural thing here that that sort of thread is doomed to failure, bud

Consider the gassing of your threads a social cue :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alarumklok posted:

I bet loving pigs makes you really good at empathizing with inhuman cultures so I'm going to bet on dave

I had to go look up what you were referring to because I don't keep up and uh :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How does the damage of a truthbomb compare to a blaster bomb

+1-2 against thin men because they're liars, -1-2 on everything else

hire me jake

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

The ending of the game after you've kicked all the aliens off the planet is Bradford saying "Commander... we're back" as he puts the sweater back on.

wasn't it, like, a cardigan

I mean we might as well get the details right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LionYeti posted:

A Cardigan is a button up sweater, Central Officer Bradford's sweater did not have buttons. :goonsay:

well that's why i'm not on this video game design team, obv

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ahaha Beagle is dead five loving ways from Sunday with all that crap on him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does "Shaken" mean?

Soldiers who take grave wounds suffer penalties (exactly what they are I don't know) until they can exorcise their ghosts in a mission (getting a kill I think)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Holy cow, is that Abraham Lincoln?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I had to tune out of the stream because it was making me angry that I'm not playing it right now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The :xcom: is strong with this one

ok now i need to stop watching for real this time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oddly conflicted about that. On the one hand, having a definite fail state for a game as long as an XCOM campaign makes me :ohdear:; on the other, this fix goes against the Doom Clock's intent, for sure.

Wonder how difficult modding would be to remove the grace period. Probably not very.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm watching through Beaglerush's live and legendary videos now, and I love how he mentions right away that the devs changed how the stealth phase worked specifically because of a really powerful trick he discovered when they let him play with the preview builds. It's really cool how open they've been with the community as the game's developed, even if it does mean we need to keep a little bit more aware of potential paid shills.

Edit: Oh, man, I really like that Overwatch comes off when you get damaged now. I'll probably like it a lot less once it happens to me, but, y'know, give and take.

The funny thing is, the Beaglewatch still works once you get Kill Zone on a Sharpshooter, because that is an area Overwatch that activates even in concealment :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It might be a little more flexible that way, yeah, but 99% of the time I'd imagine a soldier skilled with e.g. a sniper rifle in your scheme would only ever use a sniper rifle, except in a truly dire emergency, so it becomes a locked in class in all but name

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Noted curmudgeon TotalBiscuit (I know, I know) did his video on XCOM 2 today and he seemed to absolutely love it, and any game he actually likes that much is worth getting on the hype train for (I'd link but I'm at work ATM)

Can it be Friday now please

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I suppose it would be something else worth trying with XCOM 2's modding capabilities; if the Long War folks were able to add a completely separate Leadership tree in as a mod surely a weapon-based tree and removal of classes should be possible

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alarumklok posted:

it's friday right now

are you a wizard?????

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does Kill Zone activate on everything that moves in the radius, or just the first one? If it's everything, uh, :stare:

Do we know yet if any of the difficulties have Hidden RNG Fudging®? That poo poo annoyed the hell out of me in EW.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

is miss_jamballs twitch account deleted for anyone else?

http://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

does that name make it sound like 'beags' should be an alias for some part of a jam sandwich to anyone else

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm suddenly wondering what controller support is like in this and EW. I know, KB+M uber alles but it IS turn based...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think the mag weapons look pretty neat, personally! Beams were the best in EW, though, true, except for Suppression. Not enough beams when a Support used it, and I never took it on Heavies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally got home and walked through activating my GMG keys. It was weird, it indicated that the first key in my email was no good, so I used the second key, and it told me I was activating the DLC. It then started the preload; then I went back and tried the first key again. It told me it was also activating the DLC.

Bet a dollar when I open this tomorrow the DLC won't work :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jtm33 posted:

It unlocks at 5am Friday according to this image:

Or 10 AM tomorrow with VPN shenanigans and pretending to be Aussie, mate :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh I seeee, you're Australian a time traveler! Boy was I confused.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't decide now if I'm going to want to gently caress around in the character pool or just jump in first. Uughh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since we're talking about it, can the steam controller be used as a normal 360 controller or does it have to be in its odd keyboard-emulation mode at all times?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kiggles posted:

This is what Steam controller does best. Supports basically everything, and is fully customize-able, even for things like Xinput. It's really just a matter of loving/hating the touch pads.

Cool to know, thanks. I've been thinking about getting a Steam Link for a while, so I don't have to run HDMI, USB, etc. across the room to the TV and deal with monitor fuckery; maybe I'll buy a Steam Controller to go with it. Wish I could try the touchpad thing before I buy, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Furism posted:

FYI the X360 pad works like a charm with the Steam Link (Valve is the maintainer of the driver Linux of that pad), even if you use the PC wireless adapter. If you have one hanging around, you can save yourself $50.

Also good to know! But I was thinking more about the Steam controller for games like this, that don't support controllers by default.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

For when I make my character tonight, what class should I be

Bio: bad at strategy games, tends to charge to the front and die horribly, really likes explosions and lightning; also may or may not be a WH40K commissar

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

When I said I would do this yesterday, I admit I did not think there would be that much competition for the role of "person who checks boxes over and over again for several minutes and then uploads a file".

It might be worth taking a look at the file format itself in the longer term. It should conceivably be possible to automatically concatenate them, and if their code release includes the code for writing the pool files I expect it wouldn't even be that hard.

I kind of want to do that to be honest, get my C# chops on

But that would prevent me from actually playing XCOM 2

That's a tough call!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Creating a character doesn't lock them to a class, they can show up as a rookie who can promote to anything. You can also tag them to show up in the base as an engineer/scientist or in missions as a VIP.

I was led to understand you can also choose a class for them for the purpose of pre-promoted soldiers, like in mission rewards?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is it though? :twisted:

It is!! I've wanted a personal programming project to set my chops on for a long time, doing it just for work is lame as hell. But I also want to play XCOM 2!

RARGH!

(edit) I'll probably start looking at the file formats when the game inevitably makes me ragequit, that seems like a solid compromise :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Right now there's a lot of enthusiasm and manual labor available to do all this stuff by hand. Later in the game's lifecycle that might not be the case, so your efforts might be more valuable then.

In other words, go play XCOM.

Sounds like a plan to me :v:

I had this rather sudden, grandiose idea for a systray app that monitors wherever saved character files go, and automatically uploads them to some central server, categorized by user name with lots of tagging and grouping options. You would be able to pick characters from the site like a shopping cart, and create a character pool you can download and import. I know I could eventually do the client part, but I am hot loving garbage at web programming (I don't even know what the favorite web programming languages are nowadays), so it'd be an interesting learning experience anyway.