Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

pog boyfriend posted:

it is still a good ult, just really weird when you consider the rest of morganas kit.

Yeah, definitely feels like a holdout from the "put 4 abilities and stir" school of champion design. I find it pretty satisfying to use, but I think anything longer range or just more synergistic would definitely be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Addamere posted:

Have you never been in a situation where you and the entire rest of your idiot team was chasing one fool through the jungle and then your comet/wall/whatever came off cooldown and you zoomed/teleported to the retreating enemy to catch and kill him?

Or had better boots and just walked faster, nerf swifties.

That isn't what people mean when they talk about mobility creep in this context. Urgot isn't going to be bad because an Asol can gain momentum and eventually speed away, he'd be bad if enemies can easily dash away during combat and endlessly disengage or kite. In combat dashes and mobility are what are relevant, and honestly, in Urgot's case, mostly just ones that can be used as an escape. It's true that there are a lot of other movement abilities in general, but that's really not relevant to Urgot's viability as a champ.

E: also, conditional or unique movement abilities are good imo, and shouldn't be conflated with "add a dash and mix" champ design.

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 7, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Wait ok why were people talking about Urgot being weak to dashes when he literally has a dash now.

What in the world...

Transient People posted:

They're trying to peddle Urgot as a toplaner but he was talked about in the discord chat and the conclusion was that he looks wayyyyy better as a jungler because lmao at the idea of Urgot managing to control somebody like gnar to get his shotknees procs off in a timely fashion.

Agreed, he seems like he's be a decent ganker and his legs could be pretty solid for aoe jungle farming.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

I loving MADE DIAMOND

I'm so happy. Was down 1-2 in series, took it to five games, and game five went 47 minutes. JANNA IS THE BEST

Congrats! Getting it off of dcap Janna is truly the best way to earn it imo.

Guess I'll have to try out some coin builds, maybe try Thresh again some.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Up here in diamond, games end in a New York minute. Sheen? That's a good start, sure. But you need that power and you need it fast. That's why you build the second sheen.

I've heard double sheen gets you hard stuck around diamond 3. By the time you hit masters it's dorans stacks all the way down.

I definitely vote sheen over tear for killing people sona.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

You won't have 2750 max health to trigger the passive. It's awful

Actually, in my scientific, data-driven analysis of professional players playing Soraka, Jesiz built Warmogs on Soraka just this week.

After his dark seal and spirit visage.

In a 3-0-16 game.

And no one else has built in the last 3 weeks... I like it in aram, and I have occasionally built warmogs in like ultra late game when I don't want to get bursted and we're going to win anyway, or if I have too many actives to handle.

Generally though, the correct transition is into AP soraka imo. If they're dead they can't hurt your allies so you won't need to heal.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

It's 100% a thirty year old man, no doubt in my mind.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Second best champion in the game after Bard. Pretty much always decent if you're good at him.

E: to be clear not second strongest, just all around second best.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I feel bad for you spending your fake money that you got for playing the game on these gameplay items

Mark? Is that you?

e: realistically I'll just never have to buy champions again, which was kind of status quo anyway with champ shards.

I just hope they have interesting choices in whatever system they replace runes with, I loved playing full pen Zyra and max AS yasuo and whatnot.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 2, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

i thought metal was actually really popular in asia, am i wrong about this?

e: in hindsight this opinion may be based completely on the junk they play between matches on OGN

That's a v generous definition of metal imo. I guess there's like, Babymetal in Japan? Idk

My theory is that some OGN producer just time traveled in from the early aughts and has a lot of opinions on music.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Max Coveri posted:

They won. Kill me.

Sounds like the enemy team already did...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

To get back to quality content:

Yorick and Taric got S's, I got an A+...
I also only got 100 cs over the course of a 25 minute game and went CDR boots because I'm bad but still

Cho'gath really is an amazing thing -- especially when the enemy team has an AD mid and jungler who just suicide into your thornmail.

I'm also at a weird spot in Flex queue where my elo is ~Plat 5 but I'm Silver 2. I'd just assumed that silver had gotten much better until I checked the elo of my opponents. I am getting like 29ish points a win, but it's still the most difficult climb out of 'silver' I've had.

e: Also, people really don't buy trinkets, geez.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Played a game with Addamere, saw the rare 7 yellow trinket (feat. unupgraded red trinket at level 12 from Galio, BT Trinity Force Nasus, etc~).

These games are bloodbaths, it's great. People get v mad if you guess which one (of one possible option) bushes they might be backing in and cast a spell at it, the Darius was very certain I was terrible and he could 1v1 me (he was right that I was terrible but wrong on the second count).

Honestly I would 100% recommend low silver/gold flex queue. Even if you're a can't CS support main (me) you can just kill everyone and there's combat 24/7. Imo don't knock it till you try it!

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 26, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I feel like this level of high quality posting demands table breaking images.

(my bad)

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

For the honor icons, are they rolled out account by account? I got one of them, but I had two ribbons in the old system (albeit not simultaneously).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

curiousCat posted:

Not low enough, I want to ult off of every snare I hit

Just use my strategy and hit fewer snares.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

[*]Any runes you bought before Season 7 started will give you 100 Essence and each Quint 300 Essence (lmao)

I did the math, and my ~250 seals/glyphs/marks, 48 quints, and 4 IP rune pages come out to ~45k Blue essence.

If they just refunded the full price of only the hybrid pen runes I got (for example), I'd get ~13.5k BE for that alone.

I get why they're doing it this way, but it feels kinda lovely to not have enough IP for the rewards that are things I actually don't have (i.e. Urfwick) because I engaged with the silly rune system and tried weird poo poo, if only for a few games, instead of just sitting on my IP (also mad that I spent my ~100k stockpile S6 on weird runes).

I know it's dumb, because like, jeez, what do I care if I don't have some cosmetic stuff, and I'm definitely down for a new system, but wow it's weird how that still feels kinda lovely.

I am the dumb nerd...

edit: mixed up IP and BE

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 1, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Someone on reddit figured out that it's (on average) a bit better to buy mystery shards to disenchant than just keeping IP: https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/6xi6nt/how_to_get_84_more_blue_essence_preseason/

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Fuzz1138 posted:

I ended up with a whopping profit of about 72 BE after conversion. That's uh... 0.45%.

If it weren't for the random BE drops from the shards I would have lost out on the deal. Bad luck I guess. :shrug:
Hopefully they don't lower the conversion too far from 6.5.

Yeah, I haven't tried it yet, but I figure may as well. I forgot about the random blue drops huh. I've only got enough for ~7 but EV is still higher I guess~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Addamere posted:

that by doing anything at all Riot is loving themselves out of opportunity cost.

I mean this isn't really true. The backlash from not giving a refund would be a very real cost to the company that they seem to think would be greater than whatever they lose via refunds.

There's pretty clearly some middle ground between no refunds and a full refund that will best balance player retention /satisfaction with making sure people aren't just set on currency indefinitely.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I think the thing that I don't like, for me specifically, is that the long-term players who chose to buy weird niche runes, aka engage with Riot's system, instead of sitting on their IP are getting way, way less refunded than if they had just acknowledged that those were runes they wouldn't use much/weren't optimal and just sat on their IP.

Like, that isn't ~that~ many players, but it feels kind of bad to end up not being able to get the things that were meant to be rewards or w/e for the very long-term players, i.e., Urfwick, because you spent your IP on runes in a good faith 'maybe there actually is value in more of these than the purely optimal ones, let's see' kind of way rather than just ignoring the lovely parts of their system.

As it is, unless I want to buy a million chromas, I'm at a point where I can't buy the things that I don't have, but already have the things that I can buy (i.e., all the champs, rune pages, whatever).

That doesn't mean that the refund system as a whole is bad, or unfair, or whatever, it just means that the distribution they chose sucks more for some people than others, and there are always going to be alternative systems that would have changed how good/bad the distribution is for specific people, even if it isn't 'overall' more fair or what have you.

That's not like, the end of the world, but it's definitely a legitimate criticism (however significant) that's kind of necessarily part of the system. Like, I'm going to keep playing, and I'm fine just never having to buy another champ with real money, but I'd imagine there are people in the same situation who aren't.

Also, 'Riot didn't even have to refund anything, they're a corporation focused on the bottom line' is a pretty silly argument.

It sees pretty obvious that the opportunity cost of not refunding people some amount (at least converting IP to blue essence) was greater the opportunity cost of having some amount of refund. They clearly think enough people would leave the game/not want to engage with the in-game currencies/whatever if they felt they were unfairly compensated. It's specifically in their financial interests to have a solution that seems fair enough to a large enough number of players, so criticisms re: the fairness of the systems by individual players are definitely relevant. Saying 'it's a business decision, you're lucky they gave you anything!' seems kind of obtuse.

e: Although saying 'I'd be fine without getting a refund I bought these things and used them" is obv. totally legitimate, or 'at least some of what you're feeling is just loss aversion!'. Extending it to what makes sense for Riot doesn't seem like it quite works though~

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 2, 2017

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

for real though youll cowards need to stop getting mad at people for not being as mad about this

Also true~

Some people are going to be mad, some aren't, but that doesn't mean everyone oughta be one way or the other.

Luna Was Here posted:

He doesn't really do much outside of cc. Like his cc is pretty dang good, but once he's used his cooldowns he's basically a Sunfire cape on legs. Maybe he could be a support but I don't think he has the initiation range or the ability to disengage to pull it off effectively. I'm sure faker will play him mid and make me eat my words though

Agreed. I feel like he feels pretty decent to use as a kit, in part because the sound effects own, aside from his Q.

It just sucks that that kit doesn't really do damage...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I think hots also has a nice combo of more interesting mechanics/kits than league, without having the mana pools/complexity of DotA. Just the 'whole team snowballing' thing gets old.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Transient People posted:

I feel like HotS kits generally aren't more interesting that the latest ones from League, but they're certainly weirder. Cho'Gall is more bizarre than any League kit even though none of the abilities are as unique as the uses you can give Taliyah's Weaver Wall. Really wish there was individual snowballing to HotS so specific kits could be more relevant.

Yeah, that's fair. I was thinking in terms of breaking the moba formulas, a la abathur / chogall and what not. And yeah, agreed on the individual snowballing.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Calling it now: if the W changes go through (or maybe either way) Ornn is going to be a ~good~ jungle pick/maybe top. I think he's actually already pretty good with w - q - e max + like, cinderhulk into some combination of RG/iceborn/mask.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

Those changes were already hotfixed in.

The W buff he's talking about is making his W do max %hp damage instead of current %hp damage.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Servaetes posted:

Oh. Has it reflected in a meaningful increase in his winrate?

I would argue yes, but it's been mitigated by people skilling/building him in very wrong ways. He already has a ~54% win rate in the Jungle with w-q-e max/skill order, and a 50%+ win rate in top lane with the same. I ~think~ that once people start maxing w first more consistently it'll go up higher overall, but we'll see.

I think cinderhulk - righteous glory/iceborn/mask (some combination thereof) plus like, 9/0/21 with grasp or courage of the colossus is already statistically doing pretty well, and it should start to translate to better overall win rates. Hard to say for sure though, given ~league statistics~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I've got my Akali/Ezreal pentas, but since I play support all my others (aka three) were all people diving tower against Zyra, plus a really tragic towerdive on AP janna.

It took me like 4 or 5 seasons to actually get a penta though, RIP the support main life.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What possible reason do you have for building attack speed on a melee support? If you must buy a sheen, iceborn gauntlet is categorically better.

To be fair, I guess his passive would double the bonus attack speed and give him even faster cds.

Definitely still better to buy iceborn ofc.

Really though, people who want to do damage as a support should just play ap supports ~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

How Rude posted:

If you want to actually win it is in your best interest to play supports that can easily and repetitively apply Ardent Censer to your ADC who is likely going to be one of Twitch, Tristana, Kogmaw, and Jinx.

Well yeah, I figured we'd already ruled out winning as a goal.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

feel like I got a p lame combo. River Spirit nami is the only one I'd consider and it's the 30% lol.

e: I guess winter wonder lulu isn't bad either but I have pool party which seems like the objectively better option.

Is that the dragon sorceress Zyra? A pretty solid skin imo if you don't have the haunted one.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Methanar posted:

almost correct finger positioning

You forgot about binding Y to mastery emote for easier spamming. I forgot about tilde, I guess I've gotta find a macro for that, or mb bind laugh.

I also bound the item slot I use for sightstone to T since I play a bunch of support, I'd recommend it. Trying C for an active item, but we'll see.

If anyone has solutions that work well for the ridiculous 4 active support games please advise. I usually just end up using 2 or 3 of them, or just slamming every active at once and praying for the best. I guess maybe mouse buttons?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

I got out of Bronze 5 playing Zyra to be able to carry myself in the late game but that stopped working as well as I started to crawl up divisions

It still works through gold/plat! I've been playing mostly Zyra this season (and played her to plat last season) and she still seems pretty good, esp because liandries is so solid atm.

If you max e first and save that plus r for peeling you can do a decent job keeping your team alive while also getting sick kills. Generally just being ready to shift more towards focusing on peeling /kiting/sustained damage vs trying to just combo ppl down in the mid/ late game helps a lot imo, and really plays to her strengths. You can play so far back and still do your job it's great!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

I'm curious - Coin line or FQC line?

I went coin pre mana nerf, but now ~mostly~ go spellthief. A big part of that is that I'm pretty confident that I can win most 2v2 lane matchups; if there's a particularly weak lane or a hypercarry that could really use the movement speed on coin quest/needs to just farm I'll sometimes go coin instead. Generally if I don't feel like I can proc spellthief with auto attacks safely in the lane I'll sometimes go coin. I do usually get Eye of the Watcher instead of FQC just for the vision, but sometimes just go greedy. Well, usually build greedy; I go dark seal(so easy to get tags for assist stacks)/corrupting etc. pretty often. Pretty sure my builds aren't optimal, but I basically plan on getting pretty fed every game and it usually works alright.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

VEIGAR OP?!?!?!?!?

Incidentally, on his smurf (in Gold 1...) it looks like one of his only positive win rate champs with more than like four games played is Veigar. It's honestly kind of weird that a D2 player has such bad win rates in Gold...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i am possibly the first person who has been accused of kill stealing outside of a bot game in the past five years

As an alternative version, I had my mid laner complain that I one shot their adc because it didn't let them get an assist. They wanted me to just fatally wound the twitch, and then tank it for ten seconds, as Zyra support with no cds, to let them get the kill credit....

It happens at least up into plat I guess.

I also sometimes apologize for kill stealing as Bard (but do it on purpose anyway, I earned those kills~).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I hit my promotion series for Gold V, wish me luck goon fam

Go get em bud!

I've started playing some ornn jungle, and I'm really liking it but was wondering what to build. So far I've been doing a mix and match of cinderhulk / sv / iceborn / stoneplate / locket /randuins, but don't really have a particular plan beyond getting to 40% cdr.

Is the tank miscellania build basically correct? Are there any most have first items, or things I'm missing?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Got three Star Guardian skins, and a Surprise Party Amumu I turned rainbow with chromas. Guess I'll just fill out my chroma collection, they've actually gotten pretty legit, I didn't realize till just now.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Re: comet, I tried it on Zyra and it's good on her e, but I'm not 100% sold because it can proc at kind of useless times off plant autos, and aerie still seems pretty decent on her. I feel like comet should be the clear choice on her if it is on anyone, but idk.

Mystery Prize posted:

Same except it's Malphite with three frozen hearts, an IBG and a seraph's embrace

Zed, stack only cleavers, get the adaptive ad on cdr.

Welcome back, league of cleavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

Zyra with Aery, Scorch and Cheap Shot is awesome... Not sure about Mana Band vs. Hat but I don't normally have much CDR as Zyra so any extra is welcome and mana issues go away before too long - all up to how long you think the game will go/if you can poke them out in lane (you can).

Yeah, it's really good. I'm having a hard time deciding between Aery and Comet -- I feel like the latter scales better into late, and actually has a pretty quick cd because you can refresh it so quickly, but the former's probably a better laning mastery. My instinct is that mana band is also more of a laning mastery, but idk.

Either way, she feels great to play now - everyone's so squishy, and Zyra's always been one of those champs where you can die and still do your job/get a bunch of kills. I feel like cheap shot wasn't doing quite as much damage as I'd hope (although still a good bit), but given you almost certainly want Zombie Ward it does seem like the best option. Zyra owns and everyone should play her~

• Locked thread