Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i'm gonna say zero everest victims this year, but a tragic 10 man killing spree for K2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

There's a lot of snowmobile idiots where I live, they all go out as a huge group, and usually all hit the same slope at the same time, and then you get 5 people dying when an avalanche takes everyone in the group out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/avalanche-deaths-of-5-snowmobilers-preventable-expert-says-1.3433105

Like how hard is it to take turns so that if an avalanche occurs there's multiple people available to dig the poor fucker out of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSf9k52bb7I

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

I seriously don't have time to read this whole thread, so I'll just ask really quick: Which unprepared idiotbrain should I be most excited about dying this year?

yourself,

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

is a carabiner gently caress up related to Everest enough to warrant posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZFh-bcCfwQ

look in the bot left

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

John Denver Hoxha posted:

It's interesting to pop into these sorts of threads from time to time, like anytime you venture into one, you're put in a whole new world where people you don't recognize from anywhere are wishing death upon people who do things you couldn't care less about

first anime avatar of a woman to summit everest thread with observation

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Won't this just mean that the less experienced climbers will go through the harder China side instead?

Considering they denied the 12 year old's permit, it may be some sanity on both sides of the mountain.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Helicopter firms are carrying out unauthorised sightseeing flights over the upper reaches of Mount Everest, Nepalese officials say.

Sherpas have expressed concerns that vibrations caused by the helicopters could trigger avalanches.

"heh, looks like you can't keep me off the mountain with protests when I have superior technology, ya browns" - that one smug blogger guy, shortly before flying into everest and dying

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Sherpa is kinda depressing

I want the mountain to eat the rich assholes like mr. "Their Owners" brown but statistically it's just more likely to eat the sherpas, and if everest was closed off a lot of money and education would stop flowing into their poor mountain villages

it's a sad situation all around

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

maybe they're going for "first everest deaths due to lead poisoning"

gotta be a first for everything right

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the toilet might be lovely, but the tent with the widescreen lcd tv and stocked book shelf is quite nice

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSswEzWJdWo&t=5s

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

HairyManling posted:

This was an interesting thread. Wish I had come across before it was so late in the season. A question about Everest. Is the Everest climb a very difficult one itself or is it mainly the environment? What I mean is, say you could lay out replicas of all the tricky parts, but at sea level on a warm day - is it something that anyone with a moderate level of fitness could manage?

Ignoring the environment and weather, the most difficult part is the Hillary Step

so... probably not something you want to do without the barest knowledge of how to climb and some fixed ropes, but yes, most of the difficulty in everest is just the fact that it's ever so slightly high enough that you aren't meant to survive while on top of it. the weather also does a lot: walking across a ridge is "easy" until you're in 60 mile an hour winds and can't see anything due to whiteout, and one missteps means a long slide and then death.

I think the analogy people used in earlier threads for "why don't they help the dying people off the mountain?" was "Why don't you get blackout drunk and carry a 200 pound sack of meat down off your roof with a barely supported ladder in -20 C while a blizzard is roaring with 50 mph gusts and whiteout conditions?"

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 12, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it was his last instagram post before he was killed, literally, in writing, mocking the mountain's danger

you cant make this poo poo up lol

RIP from Thailand! My google executive died of hubris on Everest last year, and so I'm donating today to make sure nobody else kills themselves foolishly on a mountaintop. Put this towards saving the animals!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Elwood's pics are too cool so here's something more tasteless in the spirit of the thread: an everest zombie halloween costume

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Sony was focused on making a decent console without taking any risks. Nintendo was down to take a few risks but still make it a decent console. Sega was going full Atari.

What is the failed everest summit corpsicle of consoles? The Wii U?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

elwood posted:

and maybe move back to gbs

bring back everest thread

it's almost death watch season :mad:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

well that was something

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

But does it count for deathpool

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Man, auto playing videos are really making me want to just deal with the inconvenience of Noscript running at all times.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

roads to Pikes Peak

So you're telling me we can do a rally race on Everest soon?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The scale of those pictures never works for me. They're like automatic optical illusions.

Those ARE a bunch of tents on the left, yeah?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/asia/taiwanese-couple-rescued-nepal/index.html

Not quite Everest, but a hiking couple was lost for seven weeks in the Himalayas and found today. One of them survived, the other died 3 days prior.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

A bunch of other news sites are running with it, I think it's official. That's really sad. :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Geez, it really is just rubble now.

E: Context from the blog that labeled it, it may not be destroyed but it may just be so snow covered that people are misjudging it. tl;dr: if 4 is 4a, not much has changed. if 4 is 4b, it's gone.

http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2016/did-everests-hillary-step-collapse-in-the-nepal-earthquake/

It's not the first time the step has been super snowy

https://twitter.com/SnellArthur/status/734715393894457344

https://twitter.com/KentonCool/status/733572058467028992

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i guess they're still getting stumped by the stumpy step

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I counted the named people in the linked article and only came up with 4.

one climber did not collect enough retweets to earn name recognition.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe we should just stop the deathpool entirely, it only causes problems.

the country of Take a Hike! generates so many posts annually from the death pool, it's a real problem since the Take a Hike! subforum has so few other sources of posts due to its naturally landlocked location within the bounds of a dead, gay comedy forum, meaning that Take a Hike! will probably never close down the death pool.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Syncopated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIv-s5hGw_s

This is 2 videos from Steve House, one of the best mountaineers in the world. These 2 clips are probably the best climbing/mountaineering films I've ever seen, even if the production values are kinda poo poo. He's filming it himself while climbing in Pakistan and Peru.

:stare: Just casually climbing up ice while simultaneously hacking it to bits and kicking giant icicles off the huge overhang you're clinging to and climbing up

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you have a very unusual idea of the way talents and skills transfer at these super high levels. Remember the world's greatest basketball player of all time couldn't even successfully play another sport that required identical skills with a slightly smaller ball. Not just that he wasn't the world's best at it too, he was literally incapable of doing it at a professional level.

I remember seeing some large study about why professional MLB batters who hit 90 mph balls would just get destroyed by softball pitchers throwing balls at 70 MPH. Eventually you're relying on learned reflexes and instincts over actually seeing and reacting to the ball being thrown, so despite it being an objectively easier pitch, MLB batters could not hit them and would swing out every time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

some people climb mountains for no reward, leperflesh starts arguments with no tangible payoff. some things just can't be explained

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Hello dead thread

I've seen a lot of book suggestions in this thread but I recently had a manga recommended to me by a friend that I had never heard suggested here before. It's named Kokou no Hito and it's about a super introverted guy that gets into climbing and sets the life goal to solo climb K2's untouched east face. It feels like your standard sports manga for the first fifth or fourth of it, but apparently the writer and artist had a falling out and it has an abrupt change of pace and style when the artist quits, after which it gets pretty heavy and depressing with lots of death and a sort of coming-of-age story for the protagonist. The art evolves as much as the story; it's kind of wonky at the start but quickly becomes insanely high quality and is filled with great images of mountain vistas.

One scene I particularly love, where he's attempting to summit Nanga Parbat at night time, and he keeps hearing avalanches in the darkness... you can't exactly draw it, so the artist visualizes it as skyscrapers collapsing in the distance.

The whole thing's inspired by the real life story of a Buntaro Kato, one of the first alpinists of Japan and who managed a ton of solo climbs of various Japanese mountains in both summer and winter seasons in the 1920s through to the late 30s, where... well,

quote:

Katō’s last visit to Yari was in January 1936. This time, a colleague, Yoshida Tomihisa, came with him. The abandonment of his solo ethos was not the only change in his life. A year or two previously, he’d got married. Now he came home every day to a real house instead of the grim company dormitory. “I’m back, Hana-chan,” he’d call out cheerily at the door. Soon he had a baby daughter to greet too.

In April 1934, he’d managed a week in the Northern Alps with Yoshida. They tackled the North Ridge to Mae-Hodaka, tunnelling their way up through a snow-filled chimney. What prompted Katō to climb with a companion? Marriage may have mellowed him, or he felt the need for a rope partner to tackle more difficult routes. Or, as Fujiki Kuzō suggested, he may have harboured ambitions for the Himalaya. If so, he might well have concluded that climbers could only succeed there as part of a strong team. British expeditions had recently returned to Everest, after the decade-long lapse that followed the deaths of Mallory and Irvine in 1924.

Whatever their dreams for the future, Katō and Yoshida overnighted at the hut on Yari’s col on January 2, 1936. Their immediate plan was to traverse the Kita-kama, the serious and committing ridge that extends north of Yari. A blizzard was raging when they woke the next day, forcing them to weigh their summit chances against their dwindling stock of food and annual leave. After breakfast, they went out into the driving snow and started up the ice-encrusted rocks. That was the last time that anybody saw them alive. When the bodies were found, in the deep valley on the far side of Yari, a newspaper lamented the passing of a life “like a national treasure”.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I like that pic b/c those could be two 50 foot hills and a heavily trodden pass between them, or it could be two 5k foot tall mountains bordering a glacier and I'm not entirely sure which

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/18/sports/everest-deaths.html

A morbid article about the recovery of one of the bodies from the failed Indian expedition last year. Has some great animations and graphics of the mountain, though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

You’re the mountaineer now, dog.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No worries, China doesn't discriminate against your highly elaborate and expensive mt everest suicide scheme... Yet.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like the ban on solo ascents was almost entirely over steck's death.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah if someone wants to do it just post a strawpoll or whatever so it can at least be contained to something that isnt just twenty dozen number posts

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Easily claiming the first person and first mentally handicapped person to ski down k2 records.

nah, you'll just hear his name in a few more headlines before the final one of "polish daredevil dies in horrible climbing accident"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

sure was insensitive of ghostcrawler to reference everyone dying in a the death zone queue when he explained why there's no escalators