Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting, kinda, a day late from the POST DOGGES TIA thread in GiP, which if you like or love dogs you should read and post dogges, but...

We lost this handsome fella yesterday. He suffered a series of strokes over the weekend, with a poor prognosis of any sort of quality of life, and we decided to send him to the Rainbow Bridge. We had an amazing 12 years with him, though. He is very definition of a drat good dog.

Pictures are from when he was a young, strapping, full of energy, wiggle butt handsome young man because that's how I want to remember him...

First time in 24 years I've not had a pooch in the house, and man, it feels weird. Explaining the concept and what happened to my 9 year old son, who up to now had not experienced any sort of loss like this was tough. Coming home yesterday and not hearing the click of the claws on the tile, the snort and sneezes and woowooo sounds he made when we came home. Then going outside for an afternoon ball and frisbee toss...Really, really sucked.

Rough day yesterday, last night, and even this morning. Caught ourselves looking at his dog beds, or about to call him to go outside for his morning poop, or put fresh food and water in his bowls before we left for the day. Then a hug and a smooch before we walked out.

The house is just so quiet without him there. I've always had a dog, and always had a boxer. We had a few mutts mixed in that just kind of showed up and never left, but a boxer or two has been a mainstay in the Tide households since before I was born. We never have looked as dogs as "pets", more as family and companions.

Sorry for the downer post but give your dogges all the hugs and pets every day all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I started to make a big effort post about the responses to Somewhat Heroic and the ramblings of a kangaroo riding Australian fish, but thought better of it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

scuz posted:

I've reached my wits end with my career. Nothing within the industry holds my interest or seems interesting which means I don't want to know any more about IT than I already do, and every task that's given to me is like pulling my own teeth since I have no interest in it. One motivator for me to get into IT instead of auto repair stuff was someone told me that the ceiling for wages is much higher in IT than automotive, but if I don't give half of the smallest rat's rear end about IT, how'm I gonna make any more money? :smith: Once I get my credit cards and student loans paid off, I'm gonna go find a fuckin job I like and devil-gives-a-gently caress about how much I make.

Ahem...

Let me slap some sense in to you.

You probably got into IT because you were a like DUDE I LOVE COMPUTERS I CAN DO THAT FOR A LIVING BECAUSE I GET TO WORK ON WHAT I LOVE IT WILL BE AWESOME. Now you hate it. Now you want to go into auto repair because you're all like DUDE I LOVE CARS I CAN WORK ON CARS AND DO THAT FOR A LIVING BECAUSE I GET TO WORK ON WHAT I LOVE IT WILL BE AWESOME.

Am I right?

Don't.

loving.

Do.

It.

A job is just a job. It puts a roof over your head, food in your belly, buys you the booze to get drink. It affords you the opportunity to things you LOVE to do. Very few people have a job they love or that they think is challenging or whatever. It's nothing more than a job. It isn't who you are, it isn't what you identify yourself with or as. It's just something you do to make money.

The surefire way to immediately hate something you love is to do it for 40 plus hours a week. I don't care what it is. I love flying a plane, but you would have to pay me an obscene amount of money to do it as a career. I love to cook, and I'm really freaking good at it, but drat sure ain't gonna go back into the restaurant industry because gently caress that.

Life isn't a Friends episode where everybody gets the job they love and do that the rest of their lives. Keep your hobbies and what you love and want to do separate from what earns you a paycheck.

Sack up, buttercup.

I hate my job. I've got 3 offices, 68 people, and 4 business streams to manage. But it is a means to an end, and that's it. At the end of the day, I go home happy because of what the job affords ME to do.

(I feel like I should keep this copied down somewhere to paste when needed)

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 3, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Buffalo Trace is mighty tasty. 9/10, will buy again.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My neighbor and I got housed on Bulliet the other weekend. Agree, it is good stuff. Its been a looong time since I have had Elijah Craig.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wallaka posted:

You get health care and a mostly livable wage. I live in Alabama. I'd take the tradeoff.

They also have spiders the size of a truck, so, no. And everyone pretty much thinks that where they live is the worst place ever. Moving out of Alabama will only bring a new set of 'Man, this place sucks'

And also, that 'livable wage' is part of the reason that the costs of that bourbon is what it is for Australians. If you raise the min wage, the cost of goods WILL go up for multiple reasons (increased labor costs, retailers/manufacturers/whatever saying 'well they make more so they can pay more', etc).

So you're right back where you started. 15 bucks is the new 7.50. Then the people that made 50-100K (combined or single income, doesn't matter) feel it worse than anyone, because their wages don't increase yet the goods and services the min wagers created or produced increases.

Be careful what you ask for.

When they raised the wages in...Seattle? The people that were all gung ho about the wage increase were all like YAY MORE MONIES!! then they found out their increase in income caused them to lose their welfare benefits and then were all like NO! I CAN ONLY WORK 12 HOURS A WEEK (OH WAIT AWESOME WOOOHOOO!!!) So what will happen here, our society being what it is, human nature and all that, will earn 15 bucks an hour but work less in order to keep their welfare bennies because ultimately the welfare bennies are worth more. So, their income will be roughly the same (working 20 hours instead of 40) as it was before.

Just this past week, I offered a guy at our office a promotion that would have put him managing 3 other guys, would have been a triple pay increase plus arguably one of the best benefits packages available anywhere. He worked part time, couple three days a week. He would have gone from making just shy of 20,000 a year to almost 60,000 with 401K (with company match), a pension plan, profit sharing, BCBS family coverage (250/500 max yearly deductible) that cost 187.50 a month, and a company loving TRUCK (F-150) that he could use as his personal vehicle as well at zero cost (insurance, gas, maintenance, repairs). He would get a new one every three years or if the mileage went over 80K. Automatic two weeks vacation plus a week of personal/sick days. After three years it goes to 3/1, eventually capping out at 7 weeks vacation/1 week personal/sick. Life changing money and benefits for this guy and his family.

All thing considered, close to $100,000 a year worth of salary and benefits.

He turned it down because he and his family would lose their welfare benefits.

I immediately began rethinking the 'sharp as a tack' opinion and almost fired his rear end on the spot. But it occurs to me that while many on the welfare system know the tricks and abuse it, some are institutionalized to it and couldn't handle life without. But he knew how many hours he needed to work and stay under the cap. He would work extra if needed, but always said 'Boss, need you to adjust my timesheet' when he did or simply not clock in. So what do I do here? He's sharp, he's good at his job, and the guys he works with respond well to him. He's a 6'4 bald black dude with tatted up arms the size of an oak tree, but dude is an honest to goodness teddy bear. Not what you would call educated, but sharp as a damned tack and THE hardest working guy in that section. Show him something once, and the dude had it. Never late for his shifts. Did what needed to be done without asking or reminding. Pissed me off something fierce when he said he couldn't take the position.

Rambling a bit...

Income inequality as being touted by Sanders and such is a myth and I say that as an honest to God liberal. One is paid what one is worth as determined by the market. There are all sorts of professions that are not paid what they are perceived to be worth (teachers, EMT, police, fire, etc), but ultimately the market (not perception) determines that worth. And that's anywhere...USA, Australia, Norway.

Tide fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 7, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

So does welfare pay into a 401k? Because that seems like a big loving hole in the plan right there.

To me, it's the institutionalism effect and partly not really knowing the importance of a 401K or saving money beyond what you want to buy tomorrow.

There is a belief, I suppose, in that the welfare system will take care of you to the end. And maybe that's true to some degree, because that is what they see. They see their parents and grandparents still in the system and still receiving a check or whatever, and think (in different terms) 'That is my 401K, why do I need to save?' whether out of ignorance or simply gaming the system.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

I think that that may be a very rare instance, because Welfare Kings/Queens are not nearly as common as many conservatives seem to think they are

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

I live in Detroit.

e; well, just outside of detroit, but still.

Suburb?

Anyway. The whole welfare queen thing is primarily a Southern thing, I think. And it's a matter of perception. There's an equal number of whites as blacks on the system. Blacks are just more...theatrical? LOL...Can't think of a better word, so the impression is different. The black welfare queen drives her blinged out leased Escalade with the rent-a-rims to the govt housing, the white welfare queen drives her blinged out leased Tahoe to his trailer park.

nm posted:

First, I think that guy was also bad at math because no one is making $100k on welfare.

The 100K figure is his salary, plus what it would cost to buy/drive the company car, plus the cost of the insurance, and everything else. And it's probably a little bit low considering what our company pays for insurance for each employee. The total package. His actual salary would have been 58,273 before taxes, etc.

quote:

Second, income inequality isn't the term that should be used. It is wealth inequality. The guy making $300k a year may think he's rich and who Sanders (who I'm not voting for for reasons) is talking about. He's not. This isn't even really about the top 1%, but the top 0.1% who are worth such obscene amounts of money where a few hundred people have more net worth than half the world. These are the people who can buy and sell countries whose children's grandchildren will never have to work because of the vast amount of inherited wealth that was barely taxed before he hired a tax lawyer and accountant to structure it to avoid most taxes. Those people keep getting richer and richer while the middle class shrinks.
This isn't about professionals. This is about extremely rich people whose ancestor got lucky and they are able to use their extreme wealth to grow their wealth more and the expensive of everyone else. They're leeches.
If you make $500,000, I don't really care (but you could afford to pay more taxes, poo poo so could I). If you measure you net worth in hundreds of millions or billions, you're probably part of the problem. Sure we have examples of mostly self-made people who actually did something useful like Bill Gates (though his father was very wealthy), but most of them are Donald Trump (inherited wealth, pretends it isn't) or hedge fund assholes.

And what is Bernie Sanders proposing to do about this? Pretty much the entire tax code would have to be re-written. I'm all for simplifying the tax code and saying 'if you earn this, you pay this, done.'. But the majority of the income the wealthy have is generated in weird and strange ways to get around being taxed (or taxed much much later). And there is no way the tax code is going to be changed/simplified because too many jobs and money depend on the tax code being a mess. Simplify it and all those jobs go away.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blarg. I've been posting too much political bullshit in here.

Sorry about that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to suggest xanax lol

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maksimus54 posted:

Angels Envy bourbon is too smooth. It is so easy to drink I could comfortably swig the stuff. I'm not sure that is a good thing in bourbon. Thoughts?

This is a good thing.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Woke up to a leak under the kitchen counter this morning. Sink is countersunk in granite. Can't wait pull the plumbing so i can contort my fat rear end underneath the sink and behind it.

YAY!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Got up early, flew the fam to New Orleans for benets then lunch at Masparos then flew back, cooked lasagna, watched The Walking Dead. A glass of Buffalo Trace.

A good day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ssjonizuka posted:

Do you mean beignets?

Yup, thank ya

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Passed my piss test today! They really do do randoms cuz my boss was at the clinic when I left getting randomed, so no weed for me in the near future. Not that I care at this point since it has been so long. New year, new me!

Aaaaaaaaaand a mouse trap just exploded next to me with a twitching rear end mouse in it and I screamed like a bitch.

How about no weed or drug at alllaaaahahahahaha who am I kidding

Congrats on pissing clean. Major accomplishment.

I'm in a salty mood today for some reason.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Awful app keeps crashing on my iPad...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ssjonizuka posted:

If you catch this, kill your wifi connection and open awful. I force it to try and refresh the forums/threads list (getting a connection error) then reenable wifi. Speculation I read pointed to a change in the forums list. Waiting for a patch.

Worked. Thanks!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Today I experienced a eureka moment. An emotional breakthrough of sorts. Today, I decided that I gave zero fucks about the fact that I am thinning at the crown (made worse by a double cowlick) and will learn to accept it.

A big thing for a guy who has always been proud of his hair/hair snob.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I thought about the nuclear option, but decided that I have an ugly head with funny ears it and would make things worse.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i made it to 40 before i started getting a little thin in the back. and it's been driving me loving bananas. but today, while i was getting a haircut, i just kind of said 'gently caress it, it is what is is.' I have very little grey, except my crappy beard whiskers which, despite me having nearly black hair, is a mix of grey, brown, blonde and red.

:iiam:

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 18, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You are the milk man's kid.

(I think hair genes come from your mother's side)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

Gosh darnit my idiot cat has a loose tooth that's hurting her. $$$$$$vet bills$$$$$$$

Surely you have some pliers around.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weird. Those CNC videos are strangely hypnotic and relaxing to me, even with the shrieking metal.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

What SafetyDance said. The real world doesn't give a poo poo about your GPA. Look at job postings around the world, they say things like "Requires a bachelor's degree or 2 years work experience". Never once have I seen a GPA requirement on a job notice, and if you don't include it on your application/resume, they won't know or care. Do you have that fancy piece of paper that says you graduated? Good deal, you meet that hiring requirement.

Exactly. It might matter on your first job or if/when you go for an internship, but beyond that, no one will ever care.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

yeah well that first job is kinda what concerns me since i'm on job zero atm

E: well at least im still smart on rockets. i managed to correct the professor in space system concepts on a bonus question he had the wrong answer for last week.

Worry about THAT job at the appropriate time, which is not NOW. Plan for that job, of course, but there's no sense in getting stressed about something that is a year or so away?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'll drink Redds if its ice freaking cold and the temp outside is hot as balls. Otherwise, nah. It's kind of like Corona. I have to be outside and hot, and the bottle has to be near freezing, to enjoy it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Praeda posted:

Just because some dipshits wrap it up in woo-woo hippy b.s. doesn't mean there isn't an actual physiological rationale behind it.

All that matters is if it works for you. If it does, awesome. If not? Oh well.

meatpimp posted:

And that's where the difference is. I can be happy in situations not because of how hosed up the world is, but in spite of it. You can go the nihilism route, but there's something past that -- enjoyment. Yes, nothing matters, we're insignificant, nothing means anything... but when we can make moments we enjoy, with people we enjoy? loving revel in that, because it shouldn't be, either.

But it is. If you recognize happiness, you can create it. I have some poo poo things in my life, struggles that will go on for decades, but so the gently caress what? Who doesn't? At the end of the day, I can enjoy being with my family, my wife, or even just myself.

If you don't have that, it takes time and work to get, but the rewards are great. We are insignificant walking bags of mostly water and our synapses are making realities that are different for every one of us... but those synapses can work for us and release endorphin that makes us feel. Enjoy the feelings, enjoy the silence, recognize the world is poo poo... but yours doesn't have to be.

This owns in so many ways.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Do you really want to be one of those shitlords that is happy all the time? Part of what makes life enjoyable is coming back from the lows, if you don't know what bad is like are you really going to enjoy poo poo when it's good?

drat straight I do. You don't have to suffer or experience the bad to appreciate the good. That's some serious battered wife syndrome or something.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
HazMat training WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

How about you try and keep the one you just got you loving spoon.

I laughed way too hard at this.

On a different note, today is the day my fat rear end starts running. Weirdly, my weight hasn't really gone up, per se, from my usual fighting weight but for some reason my belly looks bigger. I hate running. But its cheap and can be done pretty much any time.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

British insults are always better. Most Americans would say "dumb rear end" or something else. When you call some one a spoon, that really ups the game.

Brits certainly have the best way with words. They just make everything funnier, and I don't know why. Maybe Brits are just that much funnier than the rest of the world.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darchangel posted:

What in the gently caress did I just listen to?

Crazy.

You just listened to crazy.

On another note.

Happy Friday

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

What are those shards of translucent stuff in your glass, and why are they in there?

Those are known as ice because I'm a pussy and can't handle my alchohol without it.

I am shameful, I know.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hah, I always thought that was scotch.

As an aside, booze and trying to learn after effects and premier pro is probably...not smart.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChips posted:

dulls the nose too much.

I have no idea what that means but I'll give it a shot on my next glass

e: also? spicy fried chicken and bourbon? Pretty freaking tasty.

As Raylan Givens once said, if that don't cool it down and heat it up at the same time...

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 27, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Some things are the right thing at the right time. Buffalo trace and some spicy fried chicken. was that thing. And seasin6 of justified on Amazon prime

Pretty good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

im sorry i offended you by not having serious enough problems to justify triggering my depression, should i kill myself in penance or would loving off into the arctic for the rest of my natural life be acceptable?

E to head this off i'm not actually suicidal tia

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

I fully realize this post was made in jest but gotdrat son do you need to grow the gently caress up.

I had some sympathy for you when I thought you had some real legit sadbrains but the more I see your posts the more I think you're whiny self absorbed skinned knee drama princess that would be all WHY EARTH WHY DID YOU BRUISE MY KNEE WHEN I FELL OH I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE and come running to the forums, wherever and whatever they may be, to complain about it.

Now, so that this doesn't come across that I am an rear end in a top hat (which I know fully well that I am and can be a grade A rear end in a top hat), I do have a hearts full of sympathy and will help those in true need of it.

But holy poo poo near every post you make is some sort of self pitying woe is me persecution bullshit about issues or problems that are result of environments YOU create. GUYS GUYS I THINK MY ROOMMATES ARE DEALING DRUGS WAAAAAH!!! Like, did you just pick a couple dudes off the street and say "Hey, wannabe roomies? Cool!" without knowing that said shitstains, do in fact, deal loving drugs? WAAAH I CAN'T GO TO A JOB INTERVIEW (despite still being..what...a junior) BECAUSE MY INCONSIDERATE PROFESSORS HAVE SCHEDULED MIDTERMS OH I THINK I'LL BLOW MY HEAD OFF BECAUSE THAT'S FUNNY, AMIRITE.

Suck it up, buttercup. Grow a set.

• Locked thread