Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How loving dumb do you have to be to be currently in hardship due to Centrelink loving you over and still buy into the false conflict "dole bludgers :argh:" bullshit?

Even Anidav didn't go and scream about all those problem tenants ruining it for us honest folk by making landlords crack down on everyone.

Llama you're literally dumber than Anidav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also fuckin lol at complaining about the nanny state and using the idea of rehabilitating addicts and criminals as your go to ridiculous strawman

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hmm yes, maybe a current affair has a point after all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We're getting the building and construction commission back, so that's shonky builders taken care of
Welfare queens living it up on the taxpayers dime
Chinese buying up our suburbs

What's next on the rundown?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

In happier news, Jay Weatherill has indicated that SA along with Victoria is ready to take in asylum seekers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

IMO they should link your steam account to your mygov to audit for profligacy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don Chipp knew the real threat to Australian politics was people on Centrelink

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Magog posted:

I wish my life/country was so idyllic that I'd have the time to worry about welfare cheats. :fuckoff:

Well maybe it would be if it wasn't for all those welfare cheats

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good to see the federal government reaffirming its commitment and support of child self harm.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The ten year old was probably asking for it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Peccadillo posted:

Probably not. I'm callin' another 11 year Liberal government

at least I won't care after the first 6 because there will be nothing of value left to save anyway.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

man, malcolm isn't going to be happy with potato

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

Crikey does not intend and nor is any inference to be

drawn that Whitcombe had a curious and potentially, very beneficial

relationship with the ACT Liberal government and Carnell in particular

This is a great line and should be used more often IMO

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imagine being a labor party shill so boring that not even the auspol thread buys you a custom avatar

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

laserface in personal responsibility anecdote shock

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It would also create an ~agile economy~ by increasing the number of people who are able to take risks in acting on opportunities as they arise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

In the spirit of this thread I say FYGM and bring on a universal basics card because I don't drink or smoke and can work some lovely job to pay for vidya games, pool entry and Melbourne memberships for my pets.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Amoeba102 posted:

A universal basics Card in Australia would be a Coles/Woolies giftcard.

I can buy a Melbourne membership for the free spider!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The only thing I don't get about the world government summit is why the UAE care so much about trolling auspol

Unless... IWC is actually a UAE sheikh? Would explain the re-reg money.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zenithe posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/12/senate-voting-changes-coalition-wins-over-nick-xenophon-and-greens

R.I.P random weirdo parties.

Probably for the best really though. No real explanation as to why Labor didn't support it.

Labor opposes the Liberals on principle unless they can gently caress over marginalised people by supporting them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is what happens when you gentrify a dense urban area with a bunch of loving new spiritualist anti science idiots. Built a wall and carpet bomb the whole inner north (sorry beets office, sorry burgers)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

The problem should take care of itself in a generation or so

You still need a wall for that to work to contain it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

tithin posted:

:toxx:

Formal toxx clause - Liberals will not gain an active majority at the next election (too much poo poo in their way), instead the next government will be a labour minority government, with greens voting with them on key issues and to confirm supply, and to keep power away from the libs.

PUP / KAP will fail to win any seats, Jacqui Lambie will likely retain her seat, and I also predict that Ricky Muir will keep his seat. I predict that Tony Abbott will run for his seat again and lose.

Bill Shorten will lead until the election, if he loses, he will voluntarily step down.

If Malcolm Turnbull doesn't win an outright majority, I predict a coup lead by ScoMo

If I don't get at least 3 of these right, I'll autoban myself

:toxx:

:rip:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'd vote for Bill scroten if he put out a hit on mum and dad property investors

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The SDA only undermine workers rights when they have a good reason, like halting The Gay Agenda or buying Joe de Bruyn another car

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I went to check it out last night. Quite a few people there, but probably will be more during the day. People were honking their horns and some guy drove past yelling (among other things) "HITLER WAS RIGHT". They also had pizza.

Was he wearing a port adelaide jumper?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Have some poll results before this thread turns into a loving tumblr or something

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...214-gmtnd1.html

using tumblr as a derogatory term is problematic hth

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imagine if mum and dad investors had to put their capital to something useful instead of becoming rent-seeking parasites, the horror

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Christian Lobby: government has met us over gay marriage 'no' campaign

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby, Lyle Shelton, has said changing the definition of marriage may cause some people to think he is gay, as he revealed that the organisation has been approached by the government to discuss the “no” campaign of a same-sex marriage plebiscite.

Shelton was asked on Sky News on Sunday night how allowing same-sex marriage would affect his own marriage.

“If the definition of marriage is changed, it’s no longer assumed ... that I’m married to a woman. So that affects me straight away,” he said.

“So you’re worried that people may think you’re gay if the law changes?” host Patricia Karvelas asked.

Shelton replied: “They may or may not, but certainly the terms of my marriage have changed, and of the millions of other marriages in Australia”.

The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), an organisation vocally opposed to changing the definition of marriage, partly due to the argument that children need both a mother and a father, has been approached to discuss its role in a potential plebiscite on the issue, Shelton said.

“We’ve had some initial discussion,” he said. “The government has reached out to us and some other groups in this space.”

Last week attorney general George Brandis told Senate estimates that consultations have started with stakeholders on a possible plebiscite. Shelton has confirmed with Guardian Australia that the ACL has been part of that consultation process.

“We’re thankful for that conversation,” he said. “We have every confidence that this will be a fair process.”

But the ACL has warned against truncating the process, after suggestions that the plebiscite could be held as early as October.

“I think people need time to realise the importance of changing the definition of marriage,” he said. “An October plebiscite would be a surprise ... It seems an unrealistic time frame.”

The prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has committed to holding the $160m plebiscite if the Coalition wins the next election, despite being personally for marriage equality.

Brandis is due to take a proposal on the mechanisms of the vote, including if it is binding on Coalition MPs who are against same-sex marriage, to cabinet for approval shortly.

Labor says a plebiscite is unnecessary and has pledged to hold a vote on the issue within 100 days of winning office.

Despite the outcome of a plebiscite, parliament will still need to vote to remove restrictions in the Marriage Act that limit marriage to being between a man and a woman.

Shelton wants the no campaign to be funded in the same way that the yes campaign is funded.

“I would expect that equal funding would be provided to both sides as there is to any normal referendum, or in this case, plebiscite,” Shelton said.

“It’s got to be fair debate and I think, more importantly, people from our side of the debate have got to feel free to speak without being labelled as haters or homophobes or bigots. That’s been really tough in this whole thing. None of us want to see that ugliness in this debate. We want to be respectful to the other side, but we want to be able to be free to be able to speak about why marriage should be retained as between a man and a woman.”

Jason Tuazon-McCheyne, a candidate for the Australian Equality party, said neither side of the campaign should receive government money.

“I’m against public funding ... equally, no funding,” he told Sky News.

He thinks a plebiscite will be divisive and dangerous for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) communities.

“I think a fear campaign is very, very easy to sway people’s minds. People don’t understand [the issues], necessarily,” he said.

Tuazon-McCheyne said that the government should fund more counsellors and psychologists to work during the plebiscite campaign, citing already high numbers of suicides or attempted suicides by members of the LGBTIQ communities.

Shelton labelled that “terrible emotional blackmail” and said that the no campaign has “respectfully” put forward its case until now.

“No one is saying that same-sex couples can’t be good parents. Of course they can,” Shelton said.

He said the next logical step in the debate would be about assisted reproductive technology, like surrogacy and in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).

“I’m not sure we have had a proper community debate on this,” Shelton said. “I’m with the global feminist movement because I want a ban on all surrogacy. It’s inherently exploitative of women.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/15/with-gay-marriage-people-could-think-im-gay-says-christian-lobby-head

lol

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

chyaroh posted:

I also take exception to the blanket idea that "against marriage equality = hatred/homophobia etc etc". Just because we may not agree with the change for reasons of our firmly held religious belief does not mean that we want to burn everyone else at the stake.

So anything short of supporting actual public execution of gay people means that you don't qualify as a homophobe.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

chyaroh posted:

If I've told you once I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate :-)

I am not afraid of LGBTI people, nor do I hate them. Evidence of that I would define as homophobic.

So if you don't fear or hate them why would you give a single gently caress if gay people get married or not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lmao watching q&a

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

Sorry I couldn't find the remote after media watch ended like 85% of the ABCs viewership.

That's what the brick is for

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

chyaroh posted:

I do understand that my viewpoint, from the secular society we have, is considered anathema. I really do. I also think that the Marriage Act will change, and probably should change, to reflect the view of the people. I don't see it as "fundamentally destroying marriage", or "ruining the fabric of civilisation" - we've been doing a good enough job of that for the last x-thousand years :-) I'm just trying to put out, as rationally (if you will permit me to use that term here) as possible, the background to the objection of groups such as the ACL. I would hope that the arguments from both sides will be as civil as possible.

Ok, I'll make that my last comment for the moment on this. Now, back to politics, and in particular, whinging "whataboutme?" politicians.

Ian McDonald is retiring, and having a massive sook at the same time about being stuck on the back benches and not being able to use his towering intellect for the forces of truth, justice and the multinational way. Poor baby, you'd never think he was elected to represent his electorate in any way...

sorry, you don't get to campaign for denying people human rights based on their sexuality and then have a loving whinge about people not treating you with civility you disgusting shitlord.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ministers should be forced to put all investments in blind trusts when taking office and then be executed when leaving office.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

without freeze peach brave ideas go uncelebrated such as 'actually, genocide is good'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

redweird posted:

Honestly the best way to get to zero road deaths is to imprison anyone who drives a car. We've got to make it so nobody wants to drive cars in order to save lives. Or, if you see someone driving a car, drag that car back to their house and cut the fuel line. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that any death by car is unnacceptable and we must send a strong message.

More people die on the road than they do in the ocean. Maybe we should mull over culling cars instead of sharks?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Catallaxy Q&A Trip Report:

The catallaxy crowd have an "interruption bingo" to count how many times lefties interrupt rightys to Stop Them Saying Righty Things (the winner had 55). We have a new category of conservative too, there's Conservative and Malcolm Conservative. Ciobo is a Malcolm Conservative. They were very much :allears: for Steyn:

but if you think any of his comments gave them pause, think again.

This was a more interesting comment:

Oh there's more jargon: Ciobo is a LINO = Liberal In Name Only. They're really sorting out whats what over there.

I'll spare you all Sinclair Davidson's ridiculous graphs trying to prove that negative gearing is good for low and middle income earners and not "the rich". It's a laugh though. Remember, they're libertarian AND centre-right :v:

what do you call a party room of malcolm conservatives

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

#Essential Poll Outsourcing administration of Medicare to private sector: Approve 17 Disapprove 64 #auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Weird that a guy who makes his money from shuffling micro party preferences would release a report scaring the greens away from abolishing micro party preferencing

• Locked thread