Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

So which Australian sports code/politician is going to be rocked by horrible totally avoidable scandal this month?

I believe Ian "Molly" Meldrum is totally not loving little kids over in Thailand at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

That's not the argument I'm making.

Your cat probably wouldn't even exist, and wouldn't have had to have been rescued from further harm, if it weren't for the culture of pet ownership.

So you're saying to fix Australia's problem with racism against Aborigines we should forcibly sterilise them?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

...no? Are you?

[EDIT: If Aboriginal people were being kept as pets I'd be calling for an end to the practice though.]

But if there were no Aborigines there would be no racism towards them. You can't argue with that fact.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

That's not true. People are scared of and hateful towards witches and the Devil and various other entities that don't exist. More effective to get rid of the racists, or, ideally, the racism.

Besides, getting rid of racism towards Aboriginal people and only Aboriginal people is a pretty weak goal and even if you succeeded the racism would manifest in some other form and you'd be back where you started.

But now you're just trying to argue around your initial point. No aborigines = no racism towards Aborigines.

That was your essential argument.

Oh well, you may hate animals, but at least you're willing to be a hypocrite rather than hate people. And progress was made.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also people abuse their children so no one should be allowed to have children ever.

That's open24hours' apparent personal belief. I'm just trying to show him how stupid it is :shrug:

PS: open24hours believes Hitler was trying to save the Jews from anti-Semitism by killing them all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

If they didn't exist they wouldn't suffer at all! I can't believe this is a controversial statement.

Is just an incredibly specious and trite bit of reasoning.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

Does that say that I think they shouldn't exist?

I mean I know it's tempting to assume that, but it's not what I said.

It's a non argument that accomplishes nothing which is the entirety of my point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

Everything wrong with my life is clearly the fault of women and not because of my own glaring flaws and deficiencies.

Have you heard about Men Going Their Own Way? It's a group all about men* they could be right for you.

*hating women and wanting to rape them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure that's how Serco advertises now:

Ever wanted to rape a 5 year old child but were worried about being arrested and spat upon in the steet? Come work for us at Serco and you can rape women from five to fifty!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Where's that picture of Hitler going "All I wanted to do was kill all the Jews. I guess you have a lot of growing up to do" because that's literally their argument.

Won't someone think of the bigots :ohdear:

Edit: here we go:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

Most of the LNP are christian

Well, technically they're "Christianists". I.e. they identify socially as Christian but are pretty much anathema to the ideals of the religion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The question is - how do we fight toxic masculinity?

sneak up behind it and punch it in the base of its skull

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I try to avoid the Herald Sun in the break room, but it was open to page three and I was greeted with this poo poo which made me so mad I tore the page out.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 14, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Who wants to put a smile of their face with the misfortune of bigots?

quote:

Antigay Group Blunders Protest, Raises Thousands For Queer Teen Gala Instead

In an astoundingly satisfying turn of events, the efforts of an antigay group hoping to sabotage an annual LGBTQ teen dance have backfired, instead contributing thousands of dollars to the event they meant to derail.

The Victorian Same Sex Gender Diverse Formal in Australia is meant to give a safe space for teens who don’t identify as straight to celebrate and create happy memories. Attendees wear what they want, bring who they want, dance with whomever they want — you get the picture.

Minus 18, the group that throws the event, decided this year to crowdfund tickets for teens who couldn’t afford the $40 admission price. Great idea!

Enter the hilariously named antigay group, the Stop Safe Schools Coalition.

(Yes, there is actually a group called the “Stop Safe Schools Coalition,” which fights against the federal Government-funded Safe Schools Coalition Australia program – a “coalition of schools and organizations that aim to foster safe and inclusive environments for same-sex attracted, intersex, and gender diverse students, staff and families.”)

Stop Safe Schools caught wind of Minus 18’s event, and devised a nefarious plan that rivals their pitiful group’s name in sheer stupidity.

They called upon their members to buy up as many tickets as they could after thinking they’d discovered a loophole that said the tickets were nontransferable and nonrefundable.

The more tickets they bought, they told their minions, the more teens would be unable to attend. Thus, “the more youth we protect.”

The group overlooked one tiny detail — the ticketing program is set up as a crowdfunding system.

Every ticket “purchased” is guaranteed to go to a LGBTQ teen to attend the event.

“You realise that if the conservatives do buy all the tickets, you can just allow registered people on a waiting list in for free? They’re effectively subsidising tickets for those who can’t buy one,” one commenter pointed out on the event’s Facebook page.

Minus 18 set an initial goal of raising $15k for 500 tickets. The group has reportedly raised nearly $30k as of Tuesday.

With all that extra money, they’re planning on moving the event to a larger venue and upping capacity so more teens can attend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Birb Katter posted:

Turnbull is going full Abbott and now saying that Shorten just wants to remove 30% of housing demand so people's homes become worth less.

gently caress it - all land owned by the government. People and corporations lease at nominal rates.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why don't we speed limit vehicles? Seriously.

With the exception of a couple of outback roads with no limits, the fastest you can legally go in Australia is 130 in the NT (on just 3 highways, with 2 more NT highways having no speed limit). So why do cars in Australia can have top speeds of over 250kph?

There can't be that much political backlash to it when the only people who consistently speed are a minority putting everyone at risk.

Speed limiters for trucks are a thing, surely they could work for cars, too?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So they're imitating that LNP woman who is incredibly mad the evidence of her illegal activities has become public.

How dare people find out Pell hosed a bunch of kids :argh: I'm so angry right now that people are finding out about what he did :argh:

EDIT: Car chat - I remember the kid who got off for going 90 over the limit on the Western Ring Road because his very good lawyer argued that "His expensive car was designed to go that fast safely."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 20, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That's his point. He's saying the church is angry that people are saying Pell raped kids when it's the Church's official position that he merely did everything in his power to enable other priests to rape kids.

They wouldn't want people to think Pell is a monster or anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wish I could find the court case because I know everyone was up in arms over it.

It was Melbourne's "affluenza" case.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Is there any sort of physical principle upholding this? I would imagine it would be the opposite and that the gravitational pull of the sun, no matter how weak from 1AU, would still make things a little easier than shooting in literally any other direction?

It's a matter of orbital energy levels, I believe.

At 1AU we're travelling at 30km/second and you need to bleed away most of that energy to travel into the inner solar system or you'll just be tossed back out.

Of course, a ballistic trajectory to the centre of the sun is probably simply because you're not wanting expecting your cargo to get there safely.

Why isn't that little girl a smilie yet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Think of a man spinning around holding a bucket on a string. With the bucket being the Earth and the man being the sun.

It takes a lot of energy to climb up the string to reach the man, but very little to be thrown out and away from the bucket.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Looks like the flood gates of opinion are finally opening on the side of actually acting with compassion. Is this some kind of weird reverse compassion fatigue? The longer the stand off goes on the bigger this story will get.

Just don't look too wide or you'll see all the horrible scumfucks saying that doctors should stick to doing their jobs and stop being all political and just give the baby back to be tortured some more.

drat doctors, caring about a baby's wellbeing :argh:

Cartoon posted:

You do realise that this term is terribly insensitive to the lactose intolerant, who are mostly of Asian origin. Crypto-fascist racism at it's most obvious!

Actually, it's like 80% of the population of the world that's naturally lactose intolerant after infancy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Our politicians can barely even pretend to care for an injured baby.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
We're a nation of 24 million people. 14,000 is just a drop in the ocean.

But our politicians would rather they all died. Every single one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Judge rules 'N-word' not offensive

A QUEENSLAND judge has found the terms "friend of the family" and "sandnigger" are not offensive to a reasonable person.

Holy poo poo,I thought you were making that up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

starkebn posted:

I can accept this, because it's a judge's job to decide if something criminal has happened. It's offensive, yes, but nearly every one of us from this thread would be locked up if it was criminal to insult others.

Yeah, it's not like he was calling black people dogfuckers or anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

"The fact that we have been able to turn Labor’s policy of 1200 people drowning at sea into no-one drowning at sea, the fact that we have been able to turn 800 boats arriving under Labor’s time to no boats effectively under our time."

~The worst potato ever.

No people are still dying at sea, the government is just refusing to loving talk about them and the press is refusing to loving hold them to account.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

Serious question, do you think he can be held to have mislead parliament for statements like these?

gently caress we need higher standards for misleading parliament.

They play the definitions game every time. The RAN won't intercept in Indonesian waters so people who drown there don't count. Also, when everyone's dead, there's no real way to know for sure they were trying to reach Australia :spergin:

And given that Labor has just as much blood on their hands, they'll never call out the LNP over the matter.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

Don't forget just plain re-fouling them back to be tortured and murdered. Also us torturing and murdering them, but that's on land.

Don't forget the rape :eng99:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
South32 (spinoff company of BHP Billiton) just announced and almost $2billion half year loss and that it's cutting almost 800 jobs.

Are we still going to force every unemployed person to move to a mine?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

What's the destination for that fruit though? You can machine harvest anything if it's for juicing, but anything soft or easily bruised destined for the fresh fruit market most likely gets hand picked even in Europe.

Why pay half a million dollars for robotic fruit pickers* when you can pay someone wages that would make Gina Rinehart blush?

* beyond how drat cool robots picking fruit is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
loving Delusional.txt

quote:

Tony Abbott says he would have won election, defends 'fundamentally fair' budget

Former prime minister Tony Abbott has labelled his controversial 2014 budget a "badge of honour" and "fundamentally fair" and said he believes an Abbott government would have won this year's election.

Mr Abbott has penned a 4,000-word essay for conservative journal Quadrant defending his prime ministership, which argues his government's achievements "will stand the test of time".

An extract of The Economic Case for the Abbott government, soon to be published, has been published in The Australian newspaper.

In September last year Mr Abbott was toppled by Malcolm Turnbull, who argued the Member for Warringah had not shown economic leadership.

But the now-backbencher denied this, writing: "The government's economic narrative had been clear from the beginning — lower taxes, less regulation and higher productivity."

The Coalition's 2014 budget put forward billions of dollars in cuts to health, education and foreign aid, and saw it lose ground in opinion polls.

It included trying to introduce a $7 GP co-payment and making unemployed people under 30 wait six months for the dole, along with university fee deregulation and pension indexation changes.

"Judging things by polls, many commentators have identified the 2014 budget as the Abbott government's biggest mistake," Mr Abbott wrote.

"I regard it more as a badge of honour because it showed that we were serious about long-term budget repair and could therefore be trusted with the long-term economic management of the country.

"Overall, it was a fundamentally fair budget because it sought to end the intergenerational theft involved in piling up debts for our children and grandchildren to meet."

Mr Abbott said he and then-treasurer Joe Hockey had been "careful to avoid breaking promises" during their time on the expenditure review committee of Cabinet, but his "no surprises" commitment was challenging, given there had not been pre-election debate about a Medicare co-payment or university deregulation.

But he thought people would accept the changes, seeing them as part of the Coalition's pledge to control the budget.

"Especially after we had rejected the business subsidy requests of the type that previous governments had regularly approved, a tough budget should have been predicted," he wrote.

Mr Abbott said he was confident an Abbott government could have won the 2016 election campaigning on budget savings and lower tax.

Bold the whole thing. How can one man be so divorced from reality?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 27, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tithin posted:

I dunno if no one is paying attention to the whole cardinal pell thing, but there's reports his security were assaulting journalists to stop them asking questions prior to the police video link.

drat, that's hosed up. Were they wearing those clown clothes when they did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

:stonk:

quote:

Pell’s accusers must expect that he should have made that terrible link, which is ironic, because the central reason for his unpopularity is that he is a conservative priest who upholds the teaching of the Church and raised the eternal ire of homosexual ­activists by refusing to give them communion.
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Okay, can someone parse this bit for me? I feel like a teacher asking a student to "Please show your working" because that doesn't qualify for any definition of ironic I've ever heard of. Even the stupid definitions of ironic used by hipsters.

"It's ironic Pell should have been expected to pay more attention to his priests raping little children because Pell also happens to be a homophobic bigot."

quote:

Pell denies the accusation that he tried to “buy” the silence of Ridsdale’s nephew and victim David Ridsdale, and at the time police were already investigating the paedophile, so there is no logic to the claim.

Yes, why would someone try to silence a victim of a pedophile currently being investigated by the police.

Beep, boop, does not compute.

• Locked thread