Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

kustomkarkommando posted:

I wonder how much of a bump SF would pick up in the event of Gerry finally stepping aside and Mary Lou coming in, I know the last time they ran a poll on it she was preffered by over-50s to Gerry for leader

Oh god no Mary Lou is awful, I mean Adams may be physical incapable of telling the truth but for some reason he's less irritating that McDonald, the only worse SF politician is Martina Anderson.

I think FF aren't corrupt enough anymore its not amusing enough, they need Bertie 'sock in the hotpress' Ahern back.

Irish elections own lets hope we get some good mad independents campaigning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

David Cullinane of SF got completely surrounded on The Week In Politics there. Rapid fire references to Slab Murphy, Maria Cahill, Jerry McCabe and Paul Quinn - a lot of push by Labour and FF to focus on the SF policy of abolishing non-jury Special Criminal Courts what with the madness at the weekend. This is probably only going to intensify over the next couple of days as the Murphy sentencing looms.

There are gonna be huge attacks on SF in general, none of the establishment want them to do as well as they are looking to become, I mean the idea of SF being either in government or the de facto opposition is terrifying to the old guard.

Speaking of leaflets...

Oh gently caress off Mary Lou. This thread needs all the leaflets.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

All I have to go on is his twitter and his media appearances but Gerry Adams seems like a genuinely decent guy, I'd vote for him if I lived in his constituency.

My issue with Gerry is his repeated lies, not just about his IRA membership which is just ridiculous at this point as all the others have admitted it and its largely just accepted these days. Then there's the sexual harassment and abuse within the PIRA that numerous people have pointed Gerry Adams to being involved in these claims being ignored by the PIRA hierarchy, Gerry claims to have no memory of these events. He also cant remember anything his brother did with regards to the allegations against him, though I dont remember the exact details of these. Gerry Adams is either a deceitful scumbag or the most forgetful man in history.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Bryter posted:

To be fair, Marty would've probably taken the same approach if he hadn't made the mistake of announcing he was the commander of PIRA in Derry on national television.

Norn Iron politics.txt

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Marenghi posted:

That has been what's impressed me about Sinn Fein politicians. I never really noticed before the Great Recession because there probably wasn't as much necessity to go to your T.D. or councillor for help. But I've seen that when people need help the best ones to go to are them. They seem to put in the work helping their constituents and seem more involved within the community.

This sort of comes from their history as a grass roots, community party, hell they were the political wing of the Provos who effectively ran their communities as a 'police' and 'militia' a lot of Sinn Fein's behaviour has its roots in interacting between the community as a whole and the Provos. Interestingly as well in the North the DUP are also very effective community representatives.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Renua are loving insane.

I also don't understand that last quote from the manifesto, the circumstances it describes strikes as basically being a majority opposition to legislation so it wouldn't pass anyway, unless it means a weird set of circumstances when there's only just a majority support for legislation and the opposition does come from every party but how often would that happen to warrant legislation. Also what do they mean by principled opposition, I assume they mean religious and this is actually an attempt to prevent any hypothetical vote on abortion passing in the future.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

In some slightly depressing Nordie news there has been some news on the upcoming vote on an amendment to the Justice Bill scheduled for tomorrow that would allow for abortion in cases of "fatal foetal abnormality" - a hot button issue both sides of the border.

After some hope that the SDLP would alter their long-standing opposition to reforming the abortion laws following the election of their new leader Colum Eastwood, who has sought to strengthen the SDLP's left wing and progressive credential for the upcoming assembly election in May, they've released a disheartening statment indicting that there is no change in their stance:

With South Belfast an open race in May (none of the candidates who stood in the last election in 2011 are seeking re-election) this may hurt them and benefit Alliance - though their eyes may be on shoring up their traditional middle-class vote base in Derry (Eastwood's constituency)where Martin McGuinness has decided to run this year, aiming to propel SF to one of their long-running goals of eclipsing the SDLP as the largest party in the city.

I know people said no Northern Stuff but I am annoyed so there

Have there been any more murmurings like those that appeared after Corbyn was made Labour leader from leftists in the North wanting Labour to run candidates and end their agreement with the SDLP?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Well the Labour Party in Northern Ireland, the local branch of UK Labour, passed a motion to begin vetting candidates with the intention to field names for the assembly election - this seems to have been more of a pressure tactic though to try to get the NEC to review the no candidates policy (something they do do during the life time of every parliament I think). Nothing much has come of that and the Labour Irish Society is strongly against a move to field candidates.

There was a similar motion passed at the Irish Labour conference last year where delegates backed creating a new joint Labour party in Northern Ireland with UK Labour - but that didn't go anywhere and Irish Labour aren't exactly in a position to consider expanding.

The only party that's going to start organising here soon is Fianna Fail who where aiming to start things up next year (I think) but are moving things up and will have a presence in the North during the EU referendum campaigning - or so they've said

I cant see where Fianna Fail pull votes from in the North, I mean the obvious base would be Sinn Fein voters but their voter base is so established, so do they try and be slightly less extreme Sinn Fein and play up IRA links or comedy option go nuts and reach out to dissident supporters?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Who do right-wing republicans in Northern Ireland vote for? Do those voters even exist?

SDLP would traditionally get the votes of the more affluent nationalist voters but they would probably be socially quite liberal. The votes basically dont exist remember the 'struggle' for want if a better word, is originally a class struggle that became co-opted by Republicans and Loyalists so as a result Republicanism is very much concentrated in heavily working class areas.

Cabinet posted:

DUP/UUP for full accelerationism?

If you want full-accelerationism, then the DUP/UUP are far too moderate for you, you need the one true unionist party, the TUV.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 10, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Blut posted:

Shame it's just those 4. I would have liked to have seen Lucinda and Stephen Donnelly on it too, they would probably have added a bit more substance to the debate. As it is I fear it'll just be The Establishment vs Gerry for 90 minutes. But if they were on it then I guess you'd also have to have Shane Ross, Boyd-Barrett and Eamon Ryan. And a 9 person debate would have been rather unwieldy.

Which is exactly what Gerry wants, all he has to do is other any alternative tot he establishment and SF popularity is going to rocket.

On another vote I finally got around to watching The Rubberbandits Guide to 1916, was pretty amazing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Ehm pretty much every national leader anywhere ever has ordered murders.

Yeah your making a false dichotomy and you know it. World leaders have ordered killings in wars and also by lovely policies whilst this is not right it cant at least be viewed as a result of a democratic process. The IRA ran communities like dictatorships and killed people for things like not helping them, selling drugs dating people from the opposite community. Can you see the difference and also why people who have had personal experience of The Troubles are very wary of Gerry Adams?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I believe De Valera killed Dumbledore and Michael Collins.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I don't think bringing up the IRA is going to work with Gerry, I mean there isn't anyone in the country who doesn't know he was in the Ra so anybody who supports him has already accepted this and still wants to vote for him, perhaps there are younger people who romanticise the Ra or who dont know how bad they were nut just saying he was in them wont work.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Everyone except Gerry has said he was Chief of Staff of The Provisional IRA from December 77 to February 78.

Edit: This is really good everyone should listen to this weekly http://www.todayfm.com/player/podca...ection_-_Week_2

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Blindboy from the Rubberbandits on Anton Savage again pretty pissed off that none of the parties have anything real to say about mental health and that they dont really care about it. http://www.todayfm.com/player/podca...ection_-_Week_3

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Blut posted:

He had a whole segment about that on the Des Bishop Rte2 youth targeted election show last night, must be an issue fairly close to him.

That show wasn't as bad as I had expected, actually. Obviously pitched a bit low to try and target people not too interested in politics, but not awfully so.

Yeah he's been sharing a short documentary about suicide prevention volunteers in Limerick as well, its certainly very important to him. he's a pretty astute analyst I think and getting people engaged in politics is always a good thing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

happyhippy posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35572804

I am Co Tyrone myself, and knowing how loving retarded the paramilitaries there, I am surprised one thought of using a disguise to do it.

Aye a lot of my best friends are from Omagh and they have many comedy stories about retarded paramilitaries, love Omagh great town McCanns is a class pub.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Labour should take this massive failing and reform as "New Labour"; a centre-left to left party. Not really though, I hope they lose people to SocDems and disappear like the PDs.

Blair getting the Irish passport he's entitled to and becoming leader of Irish Labour would be the most amazing thing to ever happen, someone should suggest to him he's gone crazy enough at this point. Also this just gave me a chuckle http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/02/25/islanders-think-theyre-loving-great-voting-a-day-early/

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

If the Slab Murphy case wasn't enough of headache for SF it sounds like former head of the Provisional IRA Southern Command Dicke O'Neill is facing extradition from Spain to Ireland for charges of child sex abuse in the 90's - the media is not officially naming him but are dropping enough hints that anyone can piece it together easily.

You know its almost like SF is full of terrible scumbags and people seem to be completely forgetting this.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I'd almost say SF need to decide what they want to be as a party the one they are in the North where they are still very linked with former armed Republicans or what they want to be in the South a decent left alternative, I dont think they can be both.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Who is Slab Murphy and what's the scandal?

Former IRA boss done for tax evasion under terrorist prosecution proceedings (they to do that because witness against him had been beaten before), guilty of massive amounts of tax fraud. The issue is Gerry stood by him despite how obviously guilty he was so folk say Gerry will stand by his old terrorist mates. Gerry and Marty owe Slab a lot though as he was instrumental in terrifying a lot of provos into following the cease fire and not joining the real IRA.

I do think SF getting angry that people keep bringing up the IRA in a year when they have deliberately been attempting to position themselves as the one true inheritors of 1916 is p. rich though

Yeah this tickles me every time.

Edit beaten

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 25, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

happyhippy posted:

I think you're being charitable they have thought past 'put up Irish flag at Stormount, change money back to punt, change road signs to irish, force kids to learn irish in primary school'.

You forgot making St Mary's the only teaching college.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

God drat it can anything kill Fianna Fail

What is dead can never die....

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

So uh, this might be interesting.

Sinn Féin calls for vote on Irish reunification if UK backs Brexit

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/11/sinn-fein-irish-reunification-vote-brexit-eu-referendum?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

Of course they have, its called posturing, they are making sure their supporters in the North know that they are still concerned with a united Ireland. They also know that a referendum wont happen. For a referendum you would need the agreement of three parties, Britain, NI and the Republic. Britain will probably have a stance of if the others agree then fine, the North would need Brexit to shift people's views as there is not majority support for reunification and the Republic would not want reunification, remember NI is costly, more so than the Republic would want to afford, they would also not want to deal with the inevitable Loyalist kick off. Reunification would be bad for NI.

Marenghi posted:

Makes sense they would. Northern Ireland receives a lot of EU funding from the EU PEACE & INTERREG programmes. It will probably be very costly for them if Britain exits, unless they increase funding to match it.

They also receive a lot of funding of Britain that the Republic would struggle to match.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Last time SF talked about a border poll the DUP said "Sure thing let's do it" and it was Villiers who shot it down - the GFA does have mechanism for a unification poll but the power to call it is given to the secretary of state who can call it if they think there will be a positive outcome.

Polling last time around showed the majority supported the idea of a border poll even with less than a third saying they would vote for unification, the idea gets support from some Unionists as a way to decisively show popular support for the maintenance of the union (and undercut nationalist politics).

Its hard not see the recent call as anything but a bit of canny electioneering though, SF are looking to take more votes from SDLP who are split on the issue - the new leader Colum Eastwood supports the idea of a border poll now but much of the old guard (including former leader Alasdair McDonnell) opposed it on the grounds it would be a distraction from the real bread and butter issues. With Martin running in Derry against Eastwood (in the SDLPs heartland) to me this smacks of forcing Eastwood into the open on the issue - either he comes out and shows his nationalist credentials (and he is considered considerably more nationalist than other sections of the party in say South Belfast) or backs away to maintain party unity, either way it could drive possible SDLP voters to SF or Alliance depending on his stance

These are really great points and get to what I meant a lot better than how I put it. I lived in the North for about seven years from 07 to 14 at uni first and then just living there, the majority of my best mates were lads from a Republican background from Omagh and anecdotally I think their views summed a lot of what the younger generation from that background believe and I would agree myself.

What they always said was in their hearts they believed in a united Ireland but they had grown up at a point where they had early memories of the later Troubles but had mainly lived in a post-Troubles environment (with obviously being Omagh significant dissident problems). Because of that they had seen how much better the country was post Good Friday and accepted that the current situation was the one that was best for day to day living in the North so they want it to be preserved at all costs. Also interestingly they all identified (differently to their parents) as Northern Irish, I dont know if this is the same amongst their well educated equivalents from Loyalist backgrounds but it wouldn't surprise me.

Personally I sometimes speak a lot more anti-Republican than I am and that's because I get annoyed where people who have no real ties to the North speak very pro-IRA and also because my ex-girlfriend was in the PSNI in Derry for the last two years we were together and that changed my perspective a lot. Firstly having seeing the dissident threat first hand (the copper a few years ago who was blown up in Tyrone was in her training class) and also the little things like having to check under my car for bombs every time I used just because I gave her lifts sometimes. The other big thing was how much they were trying to undo all the poo poo the RUC caused, she regularly had to do community work in the Bogside where they walked around talking to the residents trying to get them to trust the police again, the police genuinely wanted it to work but the amount of mistrust that had rightly been caused meant they mainly just encountered abuse, I found this very sad.

TLDR: The most important thing in the North is doing everything possible to keep peace going.

Edit: Lets to the UKMT thing, 26th December 1915 the Irish Republican Brotherhood decide to stage a rising during Easter of the next year, this decision would have some impact on history.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 12, 2016

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

As has been pointed out a lot drawing an equivalence between treatment of nationalists in northern Ireland in 50s-60s and the horrors of American slavery is pretty bizarre, considering Gerry recently compared himself to Rosa parks cause he was stopped by security while attempting to attend a white house gathering the man seems to have lost of the run of himself.

When I was at QUB a woman in a tutorial once said that Gerry Adams and Martin Luther King were incredibly similar and had faced the same struggle and fought using the same methods. To this day it is one of the dumbest claims I've ever heard and the professor running the tutorials face was a thing of beauty.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Gerry also today described himself as a founding member of the NI Civil Rights Movement while defending his tweet which has raised a few eyebrows

Eamonn McCann must be apoplectic right now, I hope there is a full rage column for him on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Spangly A posted:

muslims are catholics

buddhism is a tricky one

I think its the same as if your say you're an atheist, 'Aye sur, but are ye a Protestant Buddhist or a Catholic Buddhist?"

• Locked thread