Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

There are hardly any houses for sale in Cork where the last time I heard (Evening Echo lol) the average house in the city was €230k.
It's not London or Singapore or San Francisco. It's Cork!

Not sure what can be done about this as people will have another poo poo attack if the value of their homes plummets so I can't any remotely courageous government action on the cards.

Living in Cork atm.
2 years ago I thought my rent of 700 euros a month was loving ridiculous for the city.
Now I'm estatic its that low, renting a place half decent is 900+

And as for buying, I checked out a 150 yo mildew stinking farmhouse out that hasn't been renovated since the 50s and the asking price was 175k. Sold for 190.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

Is it still/again about pay?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0215/768197-luas-patrick-s-day/

Yup. To be honest, you would have to be insane to want to go into Dublin for St Paddys day from afar.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

GimpChimp posted:

A) Is there any clarification as to what the gently caress went on with that boxing weigh-in shooting. I read that the CIRA have both claimed responsibility and denied it and it seems like the Garda think they were there along with the gangland shooters, plus the dressing up as a woman still seems like a classic dissident urban commando pretension, so is part / all of the CIRA that flagrantly deep into the drug trade or do they imagine another agenda or what is actually happening

Marenghi posted:

A) The initial claim that it was CIRA seems bogus. It was either an attempt by someone in the CIRA to get relevance for the organisation, or a complete hoax. Members of Republican Sinn Fein, the political wing of the CIRA said the claim was bogus and an attempt to smear the CIRA.
Most signs point to the shooting being revenge for a gang hit in Spain last year.
Bit of extra info. The regency hotel is one of the Dublin city hotels being used by the city council to house homeless families. A girl I know said her friend was living there at the time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35572804

quote:

According to the Irish edition of The Sunday Times, police have identified two of the six gunmen who shot David Byrne dead and wounded two other men.
The two attackers were photographed by journalists while leaving the hotel.
It is reported one has been identified as a paramilitary from County Tyrone.
The other, who was dressed as a woman, is thought to be a Dublin criminal.

I am Co Tyrone myself, and knowing how loving retarded the paramilitaries there, I am surprised one thought of using a disguise to do it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Walking home from the shops yesterday, past a Cork City AAA office while they just finished a meeting.
90% of them looked like post apocalypse political students.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bryter posted:

I think you're being charitable if you don't think they see power as an end in itself.

I think you're being charitable they have thought past 'put up Irish flag at Stormount, change money back to punt, change road signs to irish, force kids to learn irish in primary school'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Coohoolin posted:

Tbf I've been looking for a conversation partner to practice Gaelic pronunciation with and no one seems to speak the drat language anymore. I say bring back mandatory Irish in schools. Please.

Téigh ar ais go Sasana tú bastaird Breataine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
RIP Father Jack.
18 years to the day Father Ted died too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Blut posted:

I don't think Irish people are particularly racist. Irish people tend to be quite ignorant of race because of the homogeneity, but they lack the virulent racism you find many places elsewhere in the world. The 'racism' of older Irish people is just down to a lack of experience with other races. They wouldn't see anything wrong with making jokes about black people for example because they might have gone their whole life without meeting one - its a completely abstract concept to them. I think thats probably the case with Gerry here.

This.
Irish people have 200 years of inbuilt trying to guess what religion you are (Taig or Prod) from your name and home town, to notice what color your skin is.
"Now would that be Zatala M'beko from the east Zambia, or west Zambia?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Also the period 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs' in the UK changed a few irish minds into hating white people more.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Nice to see my old school friend lasted until stage 4 in the 'Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol' party.

The Conservative was out in the first stage.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

I wonder which is worse: Ireland or a Trump America, because after my degree is done I'll probably move to be with my boyfriend and get those sweet Bay Area IT bucks

I hope you have a lot of savings to move, as that place is hella expensive to live.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jacksbrat posted:

Tim Cook on Morning Ireland earlier describing the relationship between Apple and Ireland as a long marriage... yup I'm pretty sure there are marriages like this but I don't know if those are conventionally functional marriages.

It's a pity they don't care about the actual Irish workers.
I live in Cork, and have heard a poo poo ton of horror stories from working at Apple here.

Edit: VVV Yeah. But south west Ireland is call centre country, but even Apple is regarded as bad among them.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 1, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

The only talk about the border has basically been the Government sticking their fingers in their ears and repeating "No hard border" over and over again.

Just wait until the border is actually getting finalized, some EU countries will demand Ireland to have a hard border to prevent the UK from abusing it.
And Ireland will have to do it.

I so want to see Thersea May that morning.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I can't find this rumor going around online anywhere, so can please can someone confirm or deny this.

One of the first whistle blowers for the heating scam was a Catholic farmer who saw all his Protestant farmers around him get the go ahead and get money from it.
But when he applied for the same thing, he was denied for no reason at all.
So he whistleblew as it looked like aur ole friend bigotry was to blame.
And no one could tell him still why he was denied it.

I heard this when I was back home in Tyrone, but from 'men in the pub' type sources.
Anyone know if this is true or not?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Haha that's loving nuts, I work a white-collar job in the US and get 2 weeks, which is pretty standard.

Honestly I would kill to be living in Ireland and plan to make that happen ASAP, Dublin housing crisis notwithstanding.

I work in an Irish office and we have a US equivalent, both of us do the same thing, but for each own's region.
Stuff that barely gets us an official warning here in Ireland, is out the door fired call security in the US.
We hear horror stories from the US office, we are not the best place in the world but holy poo poo its better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well there goes Nesbitt

Please for the love of got don't put Elliott back in charge

"And here's Frank with the Weather!"
"Thanks James, nice to see you back. Well if you look at the map you will see a sea of green sweep ove.."
"gently caress YOU FRANK!".

Only Nordies will get the above.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

CISTA got 373 there.

I went to school with the candidate for CISTA.
Decent bloke.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

You're wildlings to us down here (anyone north of Dublin Airport)

We call you Mexicans, coz you are south of the border.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I want Stephen Fry imprisoned for what he done.
Leaving QI for The Great Indoors.
No, give him the chair!

Jokimg aside, has it ever been revealed who complained to trigger the investigation?
Was it really ONE viewer who complained.
If it is, that one REAL butthurt person.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

whats the penalty for blasphemy

Mrs Browns Boys front row tickets.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jBrereton posted:

Bridges are so passé, Ulster demands a £250bil tunnel dug under the sea floor like the chunnel.

Get all the semtex and hidden arms caches, I am sure we can move NI to rejoin Scotland if we place them in the right spot on the tectonic plate.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The older people still remember Ireland in the 80s.
It was horrible.
My father had to go to New York illegally to get work back then. It was that bad for the poor here.

So I can see how the older generations look upon corps and the 90s with such fondness.

The problem with Ireland imo is the corruption and how everything is centred around Dublin.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

I can't wait to see what % of media coverage will be given to men talking about the abortion referendum over women. 80%?

Priests.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking forward to the third annual homeless death near a government building and shrugging of shoulders event.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Blut posted:

Didn't that campaign also end up costing a good chunk of what welfare fraud actually costs the state on a yearly basis? Even aside from the terrible morality of it thats just bad financial policy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/single-case-of-social-welfare-identity-fraud-suspected-this-year-1.3102211

quote:

The Department of Social Protection has identified just one suspected case of identity fraud this year, it has emerged.

The department said in response to a parliamentary question that 134 suspected cases had been identified between 2014 and April this year, with 21 successful prosecutions so far, and 18 people receiving custodial sentences.

The Sinn Féin TD Denise Mitchell said this year’s single case showed that there had been no need for Minister for Social Protection Leo Varadkar to launch an advertising campaign last month to encourage the reporting of social-welfare fraud. The campaign, which uses the slogan Welfare Cheats Cheat Us All, has cost €200,845.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I was 35 when I moved into my current place here, renting it, and it was just over 5 years ago.
Just calculated I spent 2 years of my 5 years salary in just rent.
poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Just from a foreigner's perspective, I tried to move to Dublin for 2017, but gave up because the rent is so absurdly high. And I was living in Manhattan in the time.

Yeah, I was in Dublin for a time, and it was a nightmare.
Am in Cork, next biggest Irish city, and its getting just as bad.
Cork is like Dublin but 20 years behind in everything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Asking if someone is drunk in an Ireland thread.
OF COURSE WE ARE

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEjRq29VLQ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

Tbh I have very mixed feelings about the language.

I'm the same as you, but from the catholic side.
Christian Brothers school in the 90s, all catholic, and Irish and French was drummed into us from 11 until 13.
And its a loving mess imo. Languages should be taught to us from an earlier age, like everywhere else in the EU and other parts of the world.
Expecting us to learn two new languages at once, especially a useless one like Irish, it's no wonder the main hook to learn it is political.
At 13 we could select our GCSEs (lol Im old), and holy poo poo no one wanted Irish. They had to force us to take it, and most failed it. I did.

Now I am working in the Republic, surrounded by Germans, Swedish, Polish, Russians, Spanish, and I can't understand what they say when they talk to each other, or when their customers talk to me that I could help with.
But gently caress that, I can understand a few of the smaller words of badly dubbed Super Ted on TG4!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Standish posted:

...well that's my mind changed

I went to a school with a J Clerkin.
I hope this is him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
So should I dump all these coathanger shares I have?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/999920690718375936

Anyway, looks like absolutely whopper turnout in Dublin at least, so send in the dancing lobsters

And OH LOOK! It just falls open at 'thou shalt not kill' part. How strange. Look again, same page.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Could the government, or groups within it, throw a spanner and delay/block if its a Yes vote?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

As a northerner I am duty bound to sullenly moan at any good news

Its in our DNA.
Looking forward to some priest/politican in the north to call it satanic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Awaiting Danny Healy Rae's spectacular meltdown

Kerry to secede. New Dail hosted in Rae's front living room.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Man, the Jews do everything don't they.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Mother's side is from Donegal.
Very Craggy Island people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

Found the IRL equivalent of those posters from 4chan.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...d-36949437.html

Ah the usual US hissyfit response, if it doesn't go your way its an Illuminati lizard CONSPIRACY!
IT WAS THE MEXIC-wait-ITALIANS THAT WERE BUSSED IN ACROSS COUNTRY LINES TO VOTE!

And 'homeschooled in Cork'. Living here too all I can say is 'lol good luck with that'.

• Locked thread